• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"A Gruff Act to Follow" Episode Discussion

Years
  • Here is where you can discuss Ash's initial Sinnoh Gym Battle and the Paul/Ash rivalry intensifying in "A Gruff Act to Follow."

My review to come forthwith.

Years
  • errr...I can't believe Ash lost...Looks like a rematch to come, that and Team Rocket's Wacky Fossil Antics. Cranidos was way too strong...especially for the first gym leader, and I think that Aipom went out to fast. I'm wondering why the fact that Brock hasn't mentioned the fact that he was also a rock gym leader.

My favorite part was probably either Dawn's explosion at Paul or Staravia's reaction to not being in the battle.

Years
  • You know that Pokemon Special chapter where Giovanni initially deceives Red to analyze and observe his techniques? It's kinda like that.

Now, had the series followed game mechanics from the start, I would be more disappointed at the loss (and, frankly, bored from the exposition), here. But I'm disappointed on how the writers allowed Ash to lose, when he really didn't have to. Now, he's been a long-time Trainer, and he should have compensated for having an inexperienced roster. On the other hand, I think looking at the Psycho Cranidos, it's difficult to combat. At least when comparing to Paul's Battle, it was slightly less intense.

With few exceptions, the Gym Battles have never been this...savage until now. If this Battle would be based on one of the final Gym Battles, that's fine. However, if the rest of the Sinnoh Gym Battles are like this first one, Ash really has his work cut out for him.

Also, we learn that Paul isn't a complete jackass, like how he acts with the child Trainer. Good touch. Although, that deflates when measured by his paucity of lines.

And Wobbuffet is so darling in its lab coat.

Caleb290

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • That episode was just pure awesome, Turtwig did get way faster and I liked how paul was kinda impressed in the middle of it.

It was so cool when pikachu used thunderbolt on the field and yeah this episode was pretty intense I hope every single battle is like this from now on and I love it when pikachu uses volt tackle head on like that.

The beginning was pretty funny that paul didnt remember dawn at all, I guess paul has a memory span of 1 episode.. HA.. it was kinda cool that paul atleast gave Azumarril to a kid instead of releasing it.. but isnt it kinda strange how their is little kids who look like they are 7 years old when you dont get a pokemon until you are 10

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • I still say ash deserved a badge... As Whitney once said, a Gym Badge is proof you can beat the gym leaders strongest pokemon... Which ash did.

Back