• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bant's Fakemon (First spriting attempts)

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Here's just a few. Wanting to get some feedback and maybe criticism on my Fakemon.

These are my first drafts, made for my ROM hack (in progress). Until I decided to make a ROM hack a month ago, I had never before that point sprited any custom Fakemon from scratch. So I'm gonna decide to not be modest and personally think that I did a damn good job for my first time spriting. :[

Spoiler:

Some of them are blurry. This is because I had to resize and redraw as much as I could of it when I realized that to my horror I had accidently made them 80x80.

Feedback? :[

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
    Years
  • ;_____;

Hey Banter. You've shown me these before, but here's my feedback.

I actually really like them. Most of the shading is near-perfect (I think you could improve on some of them, note that on [most] official sprites the sun is shining downwards from north-west [does that make sense?]) but anyway. Looks good.

Want to see moar. ;3

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Well they've certainly got potential. I especially like Autumnarch's sprite. It has the best colours and shading. Just focus on making them as official-looking as you can and you could end up a very good spriter indeed. :cer_smile:

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
    Years
  • leogaleos is probably your best work.
    And the palettes can use some work.
    Congrats you can make names that work!

but bant, didn't you converge on alara with the other shards?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Leogaleos was my first sprite, and I do agree its my best.

What'd you mean by "converge on alara with the other shards"?

That has no meaning to me, if you could explain. :[

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • I definitely think that Leogaleos and Leoqua are great sprites, but Leoqua's tail gets kind of iffy at the end, and Leogaleos's pose is basic. They are good, but I think they can be touched up later on when you've gotten even better at this.
    Autumajor is my favorite. The complexity of it is amazing, and the shading is near-perfect.
    All of your shading is pretty good, except there are places where some dithering would take it from good to great. Another thing to look out for is the single-colored outlines--outlines can have shading too--it can be lighter or darker in some places.
    I look forward to seeing more from you.

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Autumajor's the best of them. Leogaleos come in second. Also, why name him "Leo" if it's a Tiger Shark?

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, these are all really great. You sure know your anatomy.

But I dislike the fact that everything has a dark outline everywhere.
    It makes the Pokemon look rather flat, and sticker-esque.
    Please change them, it will look way better.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    Almost everything is outlined totally in black, which doesn't fit with the style of the official sprites. Try experimenting with darker shades of colour for outlines; look at how the official sprites do outlining for example.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Once I get around to 15 posts and can post images again (I hardly ever post, and I *****d myself by spamming nonsense 15 times in topics to get to 15 posts to post this topic) I improved ALL of the above sprites ('cept Laplay, but I h8 it. D: ) by changing outlines from black to multiple shades of colors, which was the main focus of critiqueing from people, which has definitely improved my sprites.

Will also post Basilirock and Lunacicle, two of my legend Fakemon, and anything else not up here yet...

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2020
    These are pretty good for your first attempts!
    I particularly like Mollok, I think it's something about the colour scheme and shading that makes it very Pokemon-like.

I think you could work into your Lapras-evo a bit more, for example it has a very unnatural straight line running along the bottom of it. I know it'll be difficult to change with it being the base of the sprite, but it just makes the sprite look off.

Other than that, these are impressive first sprites, and I can't wait to see more.

Back