• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Complex Palette Mapping (Featuring Eddie Knox)

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
eddie_knox_palette_mapping_by_exodrake-da0990d.png

This was one hell of an engineering feat, the result being sprites with very minimal shading. I had to see if I could pull off alternate outfits using false color palette mapping techniques to create normal and shiny palettes which are more than just simple recolors.

One thing that cannot be done is adding or removing entire features that would change the silhouette, since multiple transparency entries cannot be mapped in the palette data. But as long as the details are inside the lines, much is possible using those 15 available palette slots as long as shading is kept to a minimum (shading hogs color slots). I might make a tutorial on simpler applications of this technique if this doesn't make sense from the false color working sprite. It can be a pain to get sprite editing tools to cooperate with this, since getting Eddie's colors right took 3 different programs (G3HS, Advance Sprite Editor and APE), since all of them were glitching out on something. Even after all that, my green color disappeared mysteriously despite having exactly 16 colors in use including the background. I'm probably going to have to redo it manually since none of the sprite editors want to cooperate.

Last edited:
Back