• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer the dub or sub?

Years
    For most anime, including Pokemon, there are typically two main options for viewing. You can either watch the original Japanese version with subtitles, or the dubbed version released in English/Spanish/French/German/Etc. Personally, I've always preferred the dub both because it's easier for me to watch a show in my native language and because (and this may just be a personal hangup) none of the Japanese voices sound natural at all to me. Like, when the characters are speaking English, it feels like the characters are talking; in comparison, when the characters are talking in Japanese, it feels like some guys speaking Japanese in a studio are talking. In any case, which do you prefer and why?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    I watch the dubbed English version, with English subtitles on as well. I need subtitles because I have Auditory Processing Disorder and have difficulty understanding speech when there's noise going on at the same time, but I also often watch it with a family member who has poor vision and needs English audio.

I have watched an subtitled episode with Japanese audio once, (The Legend of Dratini since it was never dubbed), and I thought it was fine, but I don't have too much of a preference in either direction and the English versions are easier to get in my country, plus if I'm watching with family they need English audio instead of Japanese.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    I have watched all of the seasons of Pokemon in dub, but Horizons I couldn't make it past episode 1 and needed to change to subtitles. Liko's voice bothered me.

Days
    I will prefer watching Pokémon or anything in dubbed. The main motive of watching them is to relax and get lightened, rather than spending time analyzing what's going on.

Some people say that one should learn Japanese in order to understand them, but for me it is waste of effort to learn a language just for watching the fictitious things.
    I don't want to ponder and translate the conversations back in my mind while sitting out there to enjoy, because the extra learned languages can never be natural unless we use them deliberately and regularly.

Days
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    For most anime, including Pokemon, there are typically two main options for viewing. You can either watch the original Japanese version with subtitles, or the dubbed version released in English/Spanish/French/German/Etc. Personally, I've always preferred the dub both because it's easier for me to watch a show in my native language and because (and this may just be a personal hangup) none of the Japanese voices sound natural at all to me. Like, when the characters are speaking English, it feels like the characters are talking; in comparison, when the characters are talking in Japanese, it feels like some guys speaking Japanese in a studio are talking. In any case, which do you prefer and why?
    Imma watch dub in English or my native language anyday. That OG theme song is such a nostalgia, but sub one has different OPENING and Ash is called Satoshi, which feels weird for me 😂. But I prefer Sub for any Other anime like One piece

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    I've watched a bunch of my favourite anime both dubbed and subbed, and I'll have different preferences for different series.

When I watched the anime growing up I watched it dubbed, that was the advanced seasons, the DP seasons, and the first couple BW seasons, and I never really had any issues with how the dub was handled or the voice cast or anything. However I recently started watching Horizons and I decided to watch it subbed because I didn't want to be 20-something episodes behind, and I don't regret my choice to switch to the sub, and I think a big reason is the openings. I really enjoy the first and third openings for the sub but didn't enjoy the first opening for the dub.

I will prefer watching Pokémon or anything in dubbed. The main motive of watching them is to relax and get lightened, rather than spending time analyzing what's going on.

Some people say that one should learn Japanese in order to understand them, but for me it is waste of effort to learn a language just for watching the fictitious things.
    I don't want to ponder and translate the conversations back in my mind while sitting out there to enjoy, because the extra learned languages can never be natural unless we use them deliberately and regularly.
    I disagree strongly with this. I don't think changing the language makes you have to spend any more time thinking about what you're watching. Even if I've watched an anime with a terrible sub job, I've been able to follow the general idea of the show along just as well.
    If you're having to learn a separate language just to watch a show or have to actively translate every line of dialogue in your head, I feel like you're not actually watching the show anymore, you're using the show in order to learn that language. You're doing something completely different at that point. You can ponder the conversations in English or Japanese and if you're watching something in a language you don't speak, that's what subtitles are for.

Days
    I've watched a bunch of my favourite anime both dubbed and subbed, and I'll have different preferences for different series.

When I watched the anime growing up I watched it dubbed, that was the advanced seasons, the DP seasons, and the first couple BW seasons, and I never really had any issues with how the dub was handled or the voice cast or anything. However I recently started watching Horizons and I decided to watch it subbed because I didn't want to be 20-something episodes behind, and I don't regret my choice to switch to the sub, and I think a big reason is the openings. I really enjoy the first and third openings for the sub but didn't enjoy the first opening for the dub.

I disagree strongly with this. I don't think changing the language makes you have to spend any more time thinking about what you're watching. Even if I've watched an anime with a terrible sub job, I've been able to follow the general idea of the show along just as well.
    If you're having to learn a separate language just to watch a show or have to actively translate every line of dialogue in your head, I feel like you're not actually watching the show anymore, you're using the show in order to learn that language. You're doing something completely different at that point. You can ponder the conversations in English or Japanese and if you're watching something in a language you don't speak, that's what subtitles are for.
    That's my personal view, hence I didn't want anyone to bother from it 😉!!

Edited the message because I realized that :

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

And it is not necessary to give exactness of everything !!

Last edited:
    Years
    I didn't wanna post a whole thread, but maybe should. Did they even censor or butcher the English Dub outside of perhaps 4Kids? I recalled hearing of obvious ones. Anyway, for me I dunno... I almost would wanna watch the anime dubbed. I enjoy dubbed anime a bit more than subbed rn.

Back