• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feedback wanted - Should I go ahead with this design?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 17, 2024
Hi guys!

I am working on my own region (that by now has been restructured and rewritten at least 4 times) and not too long ago came up with a cool idea for a regional Pawniard and Bisharp based on a keris, a type of ceremonial dagger from South-East Asia with interesting spiritual connections. Not only did it sound like the perfect fit for a Steel/Ghost-type when combined with the concept of a possessed suit of armor but it also happens to resemble a ghostly flame when cut in half on places like the helmet.

I was however recently informed via a video from Xiran Jao Zhao (more specifically one of her videos dissecting the culture of Raya and the Last Dragon) that the keris is a much bigger deal than I anticipated and now I am considering dropping the design entirely because I don't want to appropriate someone else's culture insensitively.

Enclosed are two of my concept-sketches. Should I go ahead? Change some things? Or drop them? Please leave feedback, especially those from South-East Asia who knows more about this topic than I do.

Attachments

• IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    683.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    556.1 KB · Views: 4

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I think it ultimately depends on your views on intention and execution. in my opinion, your intention seems to be making a design off a cool looking sword, and you executed it in a way that doesnt seem to apropriate on it at all. i wouldnt worry about it at all.

if youre still worried, i do want to point out that a lot of videogames utilize the kris in some way already. some examples:

1. An artifact in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and possibly others from the series.
  2. The name of the protagonist in Deltarune, who is theorized to be related to a "sword" in the game's story.
  3. A weapon within Demon's Souls, Elden Ring, and possibly others of the same developer.

These games are heavily centered around using weapons for combat, and having the kris being used as a weapon seems to align itself to you making a fakemon of one. of course, using the excuse of "others have done it too" isnt exactly a good one, but no one seems to have made a deal out of it so it seems fine, at least to me. its much different than say, jynx's old design which was much more stereotypically offensive to a culture, (gyaru culture in this case, but could also be misinterpreted as african american culture as well).

Back