• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First attempt at a competitive team - suggestions appreciated

WhiteTiger

^Awesome
    Years
    As the title says, this is my first attempt at a competitive team. Most are chosen as I like them and they fit the needs of the team quite well while the last two were suggestions ^^.
    Anyhow on with the team.

Shaymin
    Nature: Modest
    EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs
    Hidden Power (ice)
    Seed Flare
    Air Slash
    Earth Power

My Special Sweeper, also one of my fave pokemon ^^. Shaymin has good stats enabling it to out speed a lot of pokemon, while hitting hard with a high special attack with the boost from choice specs. It also boosts a good variety of moves to take out a lot of big threats :P.

Heatran
    Nature: Timid
    EV: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Toxic
    Earth Power
    Substitute
    Fire Blast

Using Toxic and Substitute I can hurt tanks or generally bulky pokemon I may have trouble killing with otherwise. While Earth Power and Fire Blast can help sweep through some pokemon when needed.

Vaporeon
    Nature: Bold
    EV: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Wish
    Protect
    Surf
    Ice Beam

Standard Vaporeon wish passer. Wish will help my other pokemon as they mostly do not have means to heal themselves. Surf can hit with STAB and Ice beam will help take down dragons etc. Protect helps set up wish and and to read opponent,s avoiding explosion, or toxic stall from my Heatran.

Crobat
    Nature: Jolly
    EV: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spe
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Brave Bird
    Roost
    Taunt
    U-Turn

My lead, taunt on a wall or other stalllike pokemon into u-turn can help bronzong or lanturn set up. While brave bird can hit for a early kill or just high damage, with Roost to heal off the damage.

Bronzong
    Nature: Sassy
    EV: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
    Ability: Levitate
    Stealth Rock
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Gyro Ball

This should help keep my team alive with extra defenses, stealth rock will help chip away and make the opponent wary of switching too often, while gyro ball can do a fair hit with its STAB.

Lanturn
    Nature: Calm
    EV: 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SpD
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Confuse Ray
    Thunder Wave
    Thunderbolt
    Surf

Lanturn should help with thunder wave and confuse ray on the bigger threats, allowing me to chip away with surf and thunderbolt which have STAB, or have a safe switch for a set up with bronzong or another pokemon. While it has the ability of volt absorb, along with vaporeon water absorb can help protect my team from water/electric attacks or at least make the opponent wary of using them.

Well there we go :).

My main current concern is I don't have a physical sweeper, which will make things such as blissey a huge pain, I may just end up replacing lanturn with one. Suggestions?

Thanks for viewing ^^.

madskil72

I don't really have mad skills
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2011
    ookay, well laturn is a very good special sponge, however you desperately need a physical sweeper 0.0

I'd go with scizor, considering you already have heatran.
    you could go with the SD set:

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite
    - Brick Break / Superpower

this is an absolute beast, as it gets STAB, and technician from bullet punch and bug bite. Or, if you want a more immediate threat...

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-Turn
    - Superpower / Brick Break
    - Pursuit
    you can use STAB u turn to scout out what the opponent is going to do, or bullet punch whatever for quick kills

gyrados could be a problem for your team, so you might want to think about putting HP electric over ice beam. Only if you desprately need it though..

i apologize for being a noob lol i hope that helps =)

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    First, having that kind of bronzong set in your team is pretty much useless unless he's your lead. Your current Crobat lead is actually one of my favorite leads, but this team needs stealth rocks up early to deal with Salamence and Gyarados. So I'd change the lead to Bronzong. Also, on Bronzong, you're going to want Explosion in place of gyro ball so Bronzong can just explode when it needs to. It's a little risky only having explosion as your only move, however, so you might consider dropping one or both of the screens for gyro ball (if you drop one) and hypnosis/earthquake/protect (if you drop both; protect being if you fear trick leads, but be careful as it can also give the opponent a free turn to set up). If you decide to keep at least one screen, you're gonna want light clay on Bronzong so you get 8 turns of it instead of only 5.

As for shaymin, I'd actually change him to an offensive celebi as it gives you the celetran combo AND he helps support Bronzong. Not to mention you get a fighting resist and access to Calm Mind:

Celebi @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Grass Knot
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power Fire/Ice

Hidden Power type depends on whether you want protection against Steels (esp. Scizor) or Dragons. I'd go with ice since you have Heatran to deal with Steels, and ice keeps your coverage against other grass types you had with air slash on shaymin. Your shaymin is fine if you want to keep him, I guess, but I'd personally go with this. Shaymin won't be *bad*, but Celebi would probably just be better.

Next, you're going to want a set-up sweeper, preferably something physical like swords dance scizor (see madskil's post above). He'll also help with your Salamence problem, provided you can get him in on something other than a fire blast and that you already have stealth rocks up to chip away at his health. I'd put him over Crobat.

Lanturn's fine, it gives you some much needed protection against Gyarados. Just pray that he doesn't carry earthquake. If you are open to changing Lanturn, you can always go with something like a scarfed rotom form, which protects you against gyarados since it can come in on a DD, scare the gyarados away, and then trick the switch-in for major lols.

WhiteTiger

^Awesome
    Years
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions ^^.

Scizor defiantly sounds like a solid choice. I like the first set you suggested madskil72 ^^.

As for Bronzong, I was actually planning on replacing gyro ball with explosion :P, just need to get the tm xD. Although this would be risky, I do like having both screens and need the stealth rocks, so will see how this works out, and as you said use it as a lead ^^.
    My using Bronzong as a lead, I can then use the suggested Scizor instead of crobat as you said :).
    As for Celebi, that seems like a good idea, although currently I can't make one without finding trading with someone >.<. So if I manage to get one I will defiantly give this a go ^^, and it always gives me room to move around my team between the two. As for now I will keep the Shaymin ^^.
    Rotom I will also look into ^^, thought I think I will try Lanturn for a while :P.

So doing this, would this make a fairly stable team? Obviously being wary of Gyarados, is there any major weaknesses the team would have?

Again thanks, this is really useful :D:D.

Back