• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mostly sketches and unfinisheds

groteske

lurker
Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    I'll join, altho mine are definitely not Pokemon-related. I could never keep the patience for digital art..

Charcoal 15-minute kitteh as a Dec 24 "oh crap, I should probably get Grandmother something for Christmas"
    36746720.jpg

freehand nonsense
    10005261.jpg

more
    0802001520.jpg

4 different Sharpies and oil pastels. I'd give it a shadow or something but I can't find the original.
    1000071oc.jpg

I stopped clocking after 7 hours and it's still not done (maybe 9cm square)
    1000779s.jpg

favorite of the lot, currently painting it
    vik1.jpg

finally, really terrible image of an unfinished drawing of Boyfriend. Yep, I'm a creep
    afdghsfghdf.jpg

saint paxton

Wat it do baby boo~
    Years
  • You've got some really great stuff. I envy people who can draw animals well. (That being said, feel free to disregard anything i say about animal anatomy, as it is probably incorrect. xD)
    I love the sharpie/pastel horse, though the legs seem a little short. I love the coloring, though. It's beautiful.
    The charcoal kitty is radical. The body details are a little confusing and hard to make out. That may have been the intention, though. I dig it anyway.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Thanks for the comments, Paxton! I had just eyeballed the ref for the Sharpie horse, so you may very well be correct on the leg length.. I know all four cannons are slightly different lengths, ech. I'll doublecheck it, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Most of the cat's detail (esp. facial) is skewed because the image is so small - the original is something like 16x20 - but then I didn't make it super-detailed as it was just a charcoal sketch.

Here's one I really need help on, if anyone feels like critiquing.. I can critique backgrounds all day but I'm terrible at coming up with them myself. Messed up on the composition from the get-go and now I need a way to make it work without resorting to cutting claybord..

I forget what all media I've used on this, it's nearly a year old. 5x7 on claybord
    placard.jpg

rainml.jpg

(I really hate the muzzle/mouth but it'd be such a huge bother to fix it at this point)

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    New venture.. sculpting. Unfinished yet

Based off this sketch:
    sketchci.jpg

0505011521.jpg

0505011520.jpg

Same stage of work, different lighting. He'll get ears & hair eventually

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    What? Horse plaque is evolving!

0707012241.jpg

Not quite finished. Will be cast in polyurethane resin and released for preorders on Sunday, but it costs real mun-yehs.

BlackRay

The other trainer.
    Years
  • Woah.

This stuff is amazing. Seriously.
    I envy you, i'm to impatient to learn how to use traditional tools. :p
    How loooong have you been drawing?

Years
  • I good way to finish images is if you start out your illustration by using a series of thumbnails. This will help you flesh out the composition of the images and at the same time deal with the problem of having just a figure sitting in a sea of negative space.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Holy crap, this is awesome. Your horses and people look extremely realistic, something I can't do to save my life :C I assume you practise tons to get to this level?

Aorio

this love will see me through.
    Years
  • Your art is absolutely fantastic. I've never been able to achieve such accurate realism on paper. What can I say, you got skills! :D

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    I good way to finish images is if you start out your illustration by using a series of thumbnails. This will help you flesh out the composition of the images and at the same time deal with the problem of having just a figure sitting in a sea of negative space.

I haven't done a formal drawing in years, these posted were all just practice/informal bits - but your thumbnail tip is a good way to go about planning a composition.

Woah.

This stuff is amazing. Seriously.
    I envy you, i'm to impatient to learn how to use traditional tools. :p
    How loooong have you been drawing?

Holy crap, this is awesome. Your horses and people look extremely realistic, something I can't do to save my life :C I assume you practise tons to get to this level?

Thanks, I've been drawing horses since I could pick up a pencil. I studied & drew from photos for years - once developed, the observational habits carry over for any subject you draw/paint/etc. The graphite of the man is the first human I've drawn in god knows how many years, seven at least.

Your art is absolutely fantastic. I've never been able to achieve such accurate realism on paper. What can I say, you got skills! :D

Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited:
    Back