• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first scratches

shawn0173

Pokemon: Metallic Flames!
Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    i know these arent very good but i want to improve in spriting from scratch in every aspect of it. Well i had a very basic idea for what i wanted with a couple of them and these are what i got :D

oizrpt.png

243hxy9.jpg

2mee8av.jpg

25p7p5z.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    243hxy9.jpg

-The way this "snake" bends and a right angle is a real turnoff you should make it more free bending

2mee8av.jpg

The eyes are a bit small arent they?
    you should make them a bit bigger
    and maybe improve the shaidng :) -

Years
  • oizrpt.png

This one is a clear WIP, but at the moment I would suggest thinking about the size and pose you want to make this sprite in. There isn't much room for details like eyes in such a small sprite so it would need to be a pretty simple sprite at the current size.

243hxy9.jpg

What Nintendork said about the 90° angle. Something with a curve would be much more pleasant and realistic. As speaking of curves, yours are looking more like octagons so I could try rounding those corners out.

2mee8av.jpg

The shape of the tail is feeling a little awkward and the outline is rough. Having only one wing showing makes it look flat. If you want to challenge yourself try adding the other wing and make it look like it's behind the body (like it would be if you were looking at this sprite in "real life").

25p7p5z.jpg

Another WIP. Again, think about position and shape, and in this case also consider limbs.

shawn0173

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    thanks both of you, yeah they are small ill make them larger and attempt to round the areas you suggested and your other advice too :D

EDIT: WIP means work in progress right?

Years
  • thanks both of you, yeah they are small ill make them larger and attempt to round the areas you suggested and your other advice too :D

EDIT: WIP means work in progress right?
    Yes, it does.

And if I can add to what I've already said I think it's important to have some idea of what you want to make before you start. That's just something I've come to from experience. You can certainly make something good just by messing around and letting the sprite grow naturally, but if you, say, doodle a little on paper before starting you can see how your idea translates from mind to paper (and theorhetically the screen). It's a lot easier to thresh out your idea that way and it can be a lot easier to make a sprite if you have a reference.

shawn0173

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    Thanks again :D :D

I have worked on the snake one some, i cheated a little lol and used some preexisting parts of actual pokemon but too much, i did some editing to them so they didnt resemble the originals since i couldnt get a more curved shape on my own :( i tried tho. ill probably study actual pokemon sprites and learn what needs to be done on making better curves and stuff, i have read tutorials on spriting and they helped some. i think a tutorial on actually making curves and other important things like shading would be helpful especially to beginners like me cuz i dont quite understand shading that much, i mean i understand the concepts of shading like the light source being upper left and all shading should represent that and have only one light source but actually doing the shading is what i need help with also

here is the improved snake :D i know the outline is one solid color but its not finished yet and it is slightly too wide by 5 to 10 pixels :(
    au70j8.png

ill concentrate on one sprite at a time for now

for the first 3 sprites i had a basic idea for them, like i wanted a shark pokemon, a snake one and a dragon and the fourth was a doodle that i did one day when i was reading a tutorial to go along with it but didnt finish the sprite

Last edited:
    Back