• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My freaking awesome (lulno) Fake Pokémon!

Kalala

Gunsou
Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018

Rate, and tell me how to improve and all that lot 8D.

Years
  • For some general help I would take a look at this tutorial for starters. Looking at the official game sprites in detail is also a good way of seeing how they make their sprites. You can see how many colors they generally use, how they use darker colors in outlines, how they handle shading and a half dozen other things.

Try making your sprites smoother. Too many straight lines and angles make your sprites rough looking. Samark, for instance, has a fin which has two dark lines on the right side and they should be rounded. Just keep working on them.

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    Thanks for your opinion :3
    Taking your tips, and the tutorial, i have made this:

Cant decide which one is better :/.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Thanks for your opinion :3
    Taking your tips, and the tutorial, i have made this:

Cant decide which one is better :/.

Much better; I personally like the first one.
    The shading is good, but the head could be rounded further. At this size, an octagon still has too many straight lines. Also, the left/right arms and legs seem to be different sizes, and (our) right hand blends in with the back because it's so far back and the outlines don't overlap.
    Other than that, not bad, keep spriting and looking at examples and you will find yourself improving quickly.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Definitely better! :) I love the concept, it looks quite cute. :) The colours you used (especially for th eyes) are good too. I noticd you don't use black in your sprites. In my opinion, black adds more depth, and the official sprites use it (iirc) in all the sprites. And, as Cyberglass pointed out, it still isn't curved vey well, but you'll get the hang of it. ^^ Also, here's a picture to help you. Oh, and I made a simple edit to it as well. Just thought it would help you, and to see what parts could be improved. But, just by comparing this sprite to the last few you've done, I can definitely see an improvement. Keep it up. ;) (By the way, I suck at giving constructive criticism. XD)

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    That really looks better! especcialy the head :3
    The reason i dont use black is because i put them into pkmn ruby as I go along~
    Maybe i should put black outlines, but make a different image for the game one~
    Before i read all that, I made this...

Fire Type starter, Obviously based on an elephant.
    I know the arms are a bit stubby, but I shall fix that.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I'm liking the idea. :) I think the ideas are getting better (a fire elephant! :D).
    I think the fire isn't very Pokemon-ish. I mean, if you compare it to Charmander's...
    To be fair, fire is very hard to get right, so... XD I like how you did the trunk though. :)

Also, fire rises, so the flame would look like this. My freaking awesome (lulno) Fake Pokémon!

Hope I helped. ^^

Last edited:

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018

3 New ones.
    Shokosuta: Grass type (Very rare plant)
    Kaiteru: Water (Golden Frog)
    Sesumisaru: Water (Baby Sea monkey)

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    Heh, revived just in time -w-.
    one more week and i woulda had to start a new thread :P

Anywayz, New Fake Pokemon!

From left to right:
    Bagepu
    Hejjihonno
    (No name so far)
    Serobu
    (no name so far)

Any names for the two without?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • I don't really have any ideas for the names, as I'm not completely sure what your naming scheme is, but off the top of my head how about Utagero and... uh... Donhejji? Eh. Anyway, what I actually wanted to say is that you should experiment with editing existing sprites. It will help familiarize you with the official style, especially how different body parts are shaped.

How about trying to edit a Wurmple into a dog? Try to make it look as unlike a Wurmple as you can, while adhering to the official style. :P

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    hehe~
    Sorry, but editing real sprites aint my thing.
    Its basically fusing -.- but ill do it anyway ^.^

Years
  • It's to help you learn what official sprites look like, the outline and their anatomy. So I think you actually should do what Chesu suggested. Fusing isn't so bad as well, it can give you practice depending on your spriting level. It's a good way to start off and learn about reshading, little scratch editing, etc.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • That's more or less just putting parts together, though. Reshaping sprites while adhering to the style they're in is surprisingly different, and has much better results. That's why I said to modify Wurmple into a dog, rather than making a dog out of various parts.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I see that you were struggling with the fakemon, but your fusions are VERY VERY good! Maybe after you get alot of practice with the fusions you could study the sprites shading and style, and then you could really make improvements too your fakemon.

Skitty123

Alice Cullen
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    Wow
    some of these are quite cool
    keep up the work and remember to make the proportions equal

Back