• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Various Designs

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
  • I do lots of different work, this is a showcase of some of my latest stuff.

Signatures
    cloudno.png

spartac.png

riolul.png

aquabw.png

Websites
    Spoiler:

This is a mockup for a forum software that I might be working on with someone. Just a first rough draft and hasn't seen any code yet.

I have a fully coded design I recently released for MyBB that I'll be posting a screen of when I get to my other computer.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Good to see you back in graphics and photography! :D

Anyways, really nice tags, you've improved heaps since whenever was the last time I saw your stuff, however there are some things that could use a bit of work.

Firstly, a lot of your tags seem to follow a very similar style and method each time. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it is only beneficial to branch out and try new styles and experiment so you can learn new techniques as well as learning some harder things to do that take practise. Also perhaps mix up the sizes you are using too, just because you've got the exact same dimensions for each of your pieces which just feels a bit restricted, and also the stock should determine how big the canvas is, not saying you need to go bigger or smaller for any of them, but you won't always be able to get away with the same sizes, so might as well get in the habit? :P

Anyways, I feel like this is your best tag. cloudno.png
    It's also probably the best at using the very dark areas on either side. But yeah, the main irk I've got with this one is a bit of floating head syndrome. You've sort of smudged or erased the body and shoulders that now it looks like the head is by itself without a body. Generally it is always much safer to leave the shoulders on which kind of cement it down, unless you were going for some crazy abstract piece, but yeah.

Next, I'd think it's a little monotonous? You've got the aquamarine colour and smoe sort of yellow, but it's all a bit bland. Some gradient maps would be good here, just bring out some other colours but make sure it still blends together like it does now. Also, those little star / speckles you've added after the nebula look a bit low quality, and perhaps would work better if they were smaller and not transparent. I'm talking mainly about that massive circle to the right of the tag. Just feels too big and clunky for a speckle.

Lastly, the text is ok, I would've put it on the other side of him, but also you cannot read the 'screaming'. You can work it out cause not many words end in the letter you can see, but if you're going to have text, the audience should never need to have to decipher it.

Nice tags though, you have all the basics way down and definitely have some talent lurking that isn't coming out cause you are limiting yourself with both canvas size and style. Try break free and experiment and don't worry if it looks bad. Just keep doing anything that is even a little different to what you are doing now!

Sorry if that sounded harsh, intended to be helpful! Keep it up!

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Wow, thanks for the amazing respones. :D And no, I don't feel that it was harsh. I'm actually smiling right now because you've given me some real tips that should help me progress. And also thanks for the compliments, about my improvement.

I always end up going with the same size, it does really feel like I've fallen into too much of a routine and should probably read some new tutorials and try out some new stuff. The overlay borders are getting pretty old as well, they just looked so attractive that I wanted to stick with them.

You don't by chance know where I could find any good typography tutorials do you? I feel that it's an area I'm really lacking in and could use some practice with. Any type of sig or just general typography tutorials.

But thanks for the feedback on the cloud sig, I'll definitely keep it in mind when I'm making my next. And I guess it's time to hit up some different tutorials and get away from the same old same old.

Again, thanks a bunch for the helpful post.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Typography is a tricky one, but over in Graphics School shameless promotion a lot of people have been asking for a typography / text tutorial, so I figure I will make one soon. You can check out that thread so you catch the tutorial when it comes out, but it will probably be like next week...

As for the border as well, I didn't comment on it cause I'm a bit biased, but really borders are kinda iffy for everything now. They are, and excuse the terminology, "so last year" unless you do some different kinds of borders like a solid bar on one side, or get really thick widescreen-esque ones or something even crazier...

Back