• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mzmingles sprites ~Served with Tea or Coffee~

Years
  • Welcome to my Showcase!

Rules

• All PC Rules apply
    • Some of these sprites you can use, some you cannot, ask me if you want to use a sprite!
    • Constructive criticism please
    • Don't Post any of your sprites here, make your own thread, please.

Fakemon
    Spoiler:

Fusions and Recolours
    Spoiler:

Misc.
    Spoiler:

Hope you enjoy~

Years
  • Hey, these are your first pieces of pixel art, aren't they? It's nice to see someone willing to show their work like that. Since you're just getting started there's a lot you can learn, but for basics let's just talk about the shapes you use to make sprites.

The really great thing about working with pixels is that if you make mistakes or just don't like how something turned out you can go back and fix them. Don't feel afraid to do that when you're working. Here, look at this.

When you first start you get something like the first panel. See how the lines are kind of rough and clumpy? And how the second one looks a little smoother? If you zoom in you can see how on the second one I took out some of the pixels since they were getting in the way, basically. Let me give you a closer look.

See how you get a different look with just a little change? And then if you look at the third panel you'll see that I just changed the shape. Maybe I was trying to draw a peanut, but it didn't turn out very good at first, but I could change it to make something more like what I wanted.

So if or when you decide to make more sprites I think you should try working on the shape of it before you start to color it. It helps a lot.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    I'd keep working on Fakemon and listen to Scarf if I were you, as VS sprites are pretty dang hard. I applaud your bravery in showing us all of your first sprites though.

Years
  • Spoiler:

First up is..
    Birdee
    The Dark Bird Pokemon
    Birdee likes stealing peoples and pokemons hair. If you see its nest, you'll see its just a pile of hairs. It hates Birdla {coming soon}

Second up its..
    Pseye
    The Eyeball Pokemon
    Keep away from Pseye if its eye goes red. It is very strong, but will stay loyal to a friend.

Lastly...
    The Cloud Pokemon
    This Pokemon is always floating about, it is popular to Bird trainers and Women.

Now, I need your help to name the cloud pokemon. Maybe Cloudette? Floud? You decide, think of a name!

Years
  • I think you're too young to be starting to scratch sprite, and you should definitely re-read scarf's post. You're lines are still jaggedy. so you should work on that.

imo, you should start with pixel overs, just till you get familiar with the process of first "sketching" it out, fixing the outlines then shading.

Alternatively, if you want to still continue with fakemon, work on your shapes first. Take some time to draw some proper circles, and squares and triangles. Constantly zoom in to fix the outlines and zoom out to see how it looks in actual size. Start with your basic shapes, move to curves and irregular shapes, then go for 3-d and different perspectives.

Also keep in mind, that when designing fakemon, you should really try to stick to the same style that the official sprites are done in. You have the basic idea, but keep in mind that NONE of the pokemon have 1 pixel wide legs and arms, and they all have a particular orientation(namely facing towards the bottom left)...just things to keep in mind.

Exxmaniac

lolwut???
    Years
  • Also, did you give credit to those type icons? Cause I definitely remember someone else using those for their fakedex. Also, they don't look like you made them.

Cyndaquil2607

Pingu is the best TV program.
    Years
  • Hey, MzMingle. I have two opinions on what you should do
    1. Go read a Tutorial
    2. Listen to scarf
    do those both and practice, then you'll be fine
    But, since i am extreamly bored i made an example, editing the tree pokemon slightly, here it is -->

in this pic I showed the lines being changed from jaged to straight (i know it dosn't look right, but i had to work with what i had) and changing the hole to be more circular,

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2012
    They are good for first sprites, (well, much better than my first xP)
    I would listen to the advice you are being given by people above me :)

Back