• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NovaStar's Spectacular Sprites (and more)

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    Well after looking around and seeing all the great spriters out there I finally came to the conclusion of making a sprite showcase thread of my own. I wouldn't go as far too say that I'm amazing but I'm still somewhat a novice after a longish hiatus (I used to sprite on Serebii as Firefox13), so I'll have a mix of old and new stuff. I'd love to get criticism and comments so I can better by work and hopefully satisfy everyone. Now lets see some sprites.

Scratches
    / Fakemon
    >>
    Seldun (Seldom + Dun), Type: Normal
    This sprite has to be my favorite and best work so far, sloppy in some places but nothing I can't fix later. The one before it was my second scratch ever (some reason I went crazy with the dithering), not the best thing ever so good thing I updated it.

Berub (Berry + Grub), Type: Bug/???
    This is my most recent sprite, just finished yesterday in an hour or two. The idea behind this is that, depending of the berry being held, the second type of the Pokemon differs. Either that or the stats will be different, still thinking of the idea. Update: I just made a back sprite to go along with it, didn't look great transparent so I left the background there.

This I made for the Monthly Pixel Art contest. I like how it came out and all but it seems like the outlines are a huge recurring problem with me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devamps

These aren't too too great, the first two are scratched vamps while the last one is more of a recolor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recolor(s)

This is three works in one, made for a Serebii sprite contest where you needed to take three 2 gen pokemon and recolor them only using gold and silver.

Pixel-Overs

Yet another case of over dithering. I made this for another sprite contest over at Serebii, didn't do to well, but I still loved working on this.

Now if you read all of that, congratulations and thank you for taking your time to look at this. Again please comment and criticize.

Last edited:

Dorandragon

The Pixel Master
    Years
    I must say, you are one of the better spriters around here. The lickilicky and tranpinch really make me think R/B because of the messy lines. I think if Lickilicki was a real R/B sprite, it wouldnt have as many details like the white designs. it would use the white for the highlights only.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    Well sorry I haven't been active in spriting lately, just was spending time over at my grandma's. Anyways here's my next sprite in the works, thinking about reposing it since it looks odd as it is now.

It shouldn't be too bad since it will only take an hour or 30 minutes to do.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years

Well it seems a bit slow here so I might as well post the splice I made for the current WPC. It was actually really fun to do since I hardly chose to make splices so it was another thing to branch off.

Last edited:

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    Well it seems a bit slow and since the Get-Together has passed I'm getting back to work. Lately I have been working on some backsprites for Malachite (I'm not sure if I can reveal them or not) but I have made a revamp of Pika'Chu500's Terrence Sprite made for Malachite.

My remake/Original

Last edited:

Dorandragon

The Pixel Master
    Years
    do you scratch your trainers or fuse them?

oh and on the remake, the bend of the arm not holding the ball is too far down, it could be raied a few pixels

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    I scratch them, it usually takes awhile to get everything down. Only instance I use an official trainer sprite is for referencing.

Well here is my other trainer sprites I made earlier.

Dorandragon

The Pixel Master
    Years
    oh...I just realized that the ones on the left are the original and the ones on the right are the revamps. the guy's legs are way too short, and his arm that is holding his hair bends too early. one thing i have noticed from observations, is that the human arm and hand generally extends to halfway down your thigh. you should put this into consideration with the girl too. now, the girl is facing the wrong way if its supposed to be a battle sprite. I'd say that you started good on the head, and was going to make the arm closest higher, but you changed your mind, and you made it wrong. the other arm is ver close to being perfect. the bend isnt sharp enough. notice how on the spliced sprite, the leg's have a large to small to large to small effect. that is the sort of things human arms and legs do. if you can capture that with spriting, your good, because not many trainer spriters can do that.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    oh...I just realized that the ones on the left are the original and the ones on the right are the revamps. the guy's legs are way too short, and his arm that is holding his hair bends too early. one thing i have noticed from observations, is that the human arm and hand generally extends to halfway down your thigh. you should put this into consideration with the girl too. now, the girl is facing the wrong way if its supposed to be a battle sprite. I'd say that you started good on the head, and was going to make the arm closest higher, but you changed your mind, and you made it wrong. the other arm is ver close to being perfect. the bend isnt sharp enough. notice how on the spliced sprite, the leg's have a large to small to large to small effect. that is the sort of things human arms and legs do. if you can capture that with spriting, your good, because not many trainer spriters can do that.

Thanks for the in-depth critique, I edited them hopefully removing any errors and will soon post them in bulk with my next sprite.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    Well I said I was going to post them and here they are.
    Sorry for the green backgrounds, I usually make them transparent with iaza first.

Edited the arm and re-scratched the legs.

Flipped the head around and re-scratched the hair to accommodate for it.

Finally here's a new trainer sprite. Comment and Critique!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Pixel-Overs
    Yet another case of over anti-aliasing. I made this for another sprite contest over at Serebii, didn't do to well, but I still loved working on this.

I'm not sure you understand what anti-aliasing is, because that sprite doesn't show any examples of it. I think you're using dithering to an excessive degree, though, and some of the shading seems a bit messy, especially when it's put together with completely black outlines.

NovaStar said:
    The one before it was my second scratch ever (some reason I went crazy with the anti-aliasing), not the best thing ever so good thing I updated it.

Again here. Are you confusing anti-aliasing with dithering, by any chance?

Last edited:

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    I'm not sure you understand what anti-aliasing is, because that sprite doesn't show any examples of it. I think you're using dithering to an excessive degree, though, and some of the shading seems a bit messy, especially when it's put together with completely black outlines.

Again here. Are you confusing anti-aliasing with dithering, by any chance?

Yeah that's what I meant, stupid mistake on my part. Thanks for pointing it out, will edit the post now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your Berub! It is an absolutely wonderful idea for a Pokemon, and the sprite is adorable as well! Would the shell differ depending on which berry the Pokemon is holding? (It looks like it's using an Oran berry for the shell at the moment.)

I'm not much of a sprite critique unfortunately. The only thing that really stands out to me are the very dark outlines on some of the sprites, (although that was already mentioned). I would try using a darker shade of blue on The Berub's shell, for example, in the lighter areas of the sprite.

Overall great job, (and awesome Pokemon ideas!)

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
    It's a shame not many people have stopped by here... your seldum is one of my favorite sprites i have seen as of recently. It is of professional grade, and could easibly be a "trick 5th generation" sprite! lol

I love the concept though! The anatomy is great, the outlining and shading are done to crisp and clean look, and the animation is just wonderfully done!

Great job!

Keep Spriting!

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    Alright here's another update with something different.
    With my attention caught by PureGroober's Mapping into Fr/Lg thread and I decided to try my hand at mapping. Here's the two I made for it.
    Spoiler:

Oldale Town and Route 103...

Spoiler:

and Verdanturf Town.

Back