• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs
    All private-ish, PM me if you want to use one.

Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Lugia

Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Groudon

Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Kyorgre

Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Rayquaza

Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Piplup

Feel free to comment, and to suggest more Pokés.

Last edited:

Arolu

Time to cut some slack...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Oh, wow -these are really nice!
    The Groudon and Rayquaza look quite bright, though.
    The Kyogre does look really great as you can see all the tones.
    Maybe, you could use dithering in the next one you make, as I find they help blend colours together. :)

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I love the Lugia! But I can't see the Groudon at all D=

Yeah, the Groudon is quite bright! Well, very bright. xD But your Kyogre is AMAZING, in my opinion. ;) How it was shaded and everything is amazing. :D I love the colour of it. :)

Years
    These are good, but I think using some darker outlines would bring them into style a little more, and would help them stand out. As it is, they look a little washed out, and while using a dark background hides that, it doesn't mean it doesn't need to be fixed. :P Use black around the darkest areas, and a darker shade than you're using at the minute for the rest.

Years
    Your Rayquaza's too bright and has a few things weird.
    Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs
    Look at my Rayquaza from my sprites. Notice the eye? It's small with the pupil, but on the outside it's thick, making it look better. Also, my shading trys to stay in appropiate areas. Also, the colour's suitable for Rayquaza. Your's isn't bad though. ^^

Years
    Your Rayquaza's too bright and has a few things weird.
    Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs
    Look at my Rayquaza from my sprites. Notice the eye? It's small with the pupil, but on the outside it's thick, making it look better. Also, my shading trys to stay in appropiate areas. Also, the colour's suitable for Rayquaza. Your's isn't bad though. ^^

I think his outline is the only problem. Plus his Rayquaza is smaller than yours,so it's hard to put in alot of detail. I think he could use a darker green or try to hue shift with his green.
    Basically darker shades and outline.

Xeotu

Water Quilava
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    The Groudon's Shading is a little off but other than that there wonderful

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    Thank you all for all of the comments. I've taken everything into consideration, and changed quite a lot-although you may not notice. The outlines are now a little darker, and Groudon and Rayquaza's colours are more true to the originals.

Here's a Piplup pixel over:
    Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Made for Piplup-Trainer, so only he can use it. I won't add it to the first post, as it doesn't fit well with all of the legendaries.

Comments?​

Years
    Here's a Piplup pixel over:
    Peeky Chew's Pixel Overs

Made for Piplup-Trainer, so only he can use it. I won't add it to the first post, as it doesn't fit well with all of the legendaries.

Comments?​

I think you've got a few rough spots in the white area on the face where you haven't quite finished the pixeling-over process. There are a lot of shades of light grey still in there. The left side of the collar (?) looks kind of boxy around the edges, too.

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like you could go darker on some of the outlines still. The outline around the body isn't as dark as the outline around the head so to me they look like they don't blend as well as they could.

And it would totally fit with the legendaries.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    Bump ;)

After a five month break, I'm finally back making Pixel Overs.

All sprites updated with considerably darker borders. I've also changed some parts of Piplup to make it look less jagged.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    To be honest I'm not feeling it with a lot of this stuff.

Making large pixel pieces is a tough job, but I think one of the biggest flaws in your pieces are the outlines and somewhat of the shading.

Taking your Lugia for an example, you seem to have outlined every area in a single colour with no regard taken for any neighbouring colours - this is most noticable with the border between the top of the mouth and between the white body and the dark fins. Neither do any of the outlines change between the areas that are facing the light source and those that aren't. Pretty much all the outlines could do with bolder and more distinguishable colour, and maybe some tentative anti-aliasing - something that really helps out the larger your work becomes.

(Also, what's up with the colour saturation on Lugia? The shading keeps going from nearly complete gray to something that's a shade of purple.)

As for the shading, well, I'm not a fan of how you shaded Piplup at all. Trying to copy Sugimori's use of tones like that on a sprite results in it looking more like a blurry, unconvincing gradient rather than a sharp and defined shade. This again applies to Lugia - the legs in particular come off really weirdly.

TheMightyMrPlow

Pokemon N00B!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    I don't understand what I'm supposed to be seeing, they just look like the pictures on the game covers.

Can someone tell me what a pixel over is?

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
    Wow, they look great! ^_^
    The shading's nicely done, and their lineart is superb.
    However Rayquaza's pupil seems kinda big, making his eye weird overall. The black lines on his chest also seem slightly wobbly/shaky.
    And your outlines are too light, so it's kinda hard to see especially since you put backgrounds making it even harder. xD
    Other than that, that's some great pieces of art! ^_^

Back