• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Art Duel #2: Froslass_Maniac vs. Spherical Ice

Whose sprite do you vote for?

• Froslass_Maniac

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Spherical Ice

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Pixel Art Duel #2
    Froslass_Maniac vs. Spherical Ice

Introduction

Welcome! This thread is to vote for who you think should win this duel. Whose pixels are more impressive than the others? You decide!

Rules

1. No voting for yourself.

2. When voting, you must include comments on why you voted for the specific sprite. Criticism is very much accepted as well.

3. Don't be harsh on sprites, this is for fun after all!

Contestants

Theme:
    "Devamping Issues."
    Our duelists have to choose a Pokémon from the Isshu region/5th generation and has to devamp them into Gold/Silver/Crystal standards.

Here are the duelist's creations you can vote for!

Froslass_Maniac:
    5cdmp0.jpg

Spoiler:

Spherical Ice:
    j5jlfq.jpg

Spoiler:

And the winner is...

Froslass_Maniac's Waruvile Devamp.
    Froslass_Maniac had a 5 vote lead.
    5cdmp0.jpg

Congratulations!​

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Oho, interesting.... I like how Ice tweaked the design in places to better suit the simpler palette, which can affect the perceived size of things more than you might realize. However, overall it's not a very nice-looking sprite, and doesn't quite adhere to the G/S/C style; you should have squeezed as much out of the four colors as you possibly could. The dithering doesn't look great, especially on the left arm where it seems like there's a spiky projection coming from the torso with a hand behind it. While it could have been handled better, I think that mainly it was just a poor choice for the competition... I doubt anyone trying the same thing could have done much better.

Froslass_Maniac's looks a lot more like what you would expect of a G/S/C sprite, and is impressive because of the resizing. While I like the white shading in most places, I think you went a little too far with the dithering on the knees. There are a few places where the reduction in palette has made the sprite visually confusing... If the rules allowed it (I'm not sure whether they would or not), you could have moved the arms into a different position; with four colors, and white dithering on the hand and/or shoulder, it's hard to tell just what I'm looking at. I couldn't figure it out until I saw the original sprite.

So with that, I vote for... The one I think looks better. ;)

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • Well I personally like Froslass's better.
    It's a VERY nice devamp. Basic lines and proportions are kept, and the pallete is just perfect.
    Acctually, the pallete is the thing that trew me off with the Ice's sprite, cause IMO, he could have found a better pallete for that dark orange!
    Plus, I love that shading/reflection Froslass did in his devamp, cause it really gives it that "nostalgia GSC" look!
    So I wote for Froslass_Maniac!

Years
  • It was a difficult pick for me for this duel, but I went for Spherical Ice's. There's not much wrong with Froslass', as a matter of fact I loved how she cleverly dithered the dark band on the knee of the Waruvile. Everything looks great but I think Waruvile's feet could do some enhancing and the arms are difficult to see.

I appreciate how Spherical is trying to go for the style with the existing palettes and deformed areas, etc. It's easy to look at but what I think is that he should make the 'eye brows' more consistent and same size. What he also could've done was changed the colours and make them more saturated rather than using existing colours from other G/S/C Pokémon sprites. Nevertheless, his sprite did impress me with the style matching.

Last edited:

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
    Years
  • I voted for Froslass_Maniac's devamp. It is more pleasing to the eye imo, though I agree with Chesu about the dithering on the knees. I can see the arms just fine. ._. Though I am right up to the computer screen. lol

Ice's sprite just seemed like a highly desaturated version of the original to me. Pretty bland. So that is why I voted for Froslass.

Years
  • And the winner is...

Froslass_Maniac!
    Froslass' Devamp of Waruvile wins this duel! It won most votes over and had a 5 point lead.
    5cdmp0.jpg

Congratulations!​

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back