• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixellated Pixelly Pixels

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Welcome to my sprite gallery! I recently started spriting, I started around a month ago. Since then I've looked at tutorials, and made some scratch sprites. None of the work is for public use...

Scratch Sprites:
    Spoiler:

Pokemon Alpha and omega:
    Yes, I am a spriter for Alpha and Omega.
    Spoiler:

Revamps:
    Spoiler:

Trainers
    Spoiler:

I hope you liked my sprites! Sensible critique is requested.

Last edited:

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • Hey there Nimble, your sprites are coming along nicely, and I can see you improved by comparing Wimpike with the water starters. :)
    You also got my crit already so I won't be repeating what I said. xD

Anyways about your revamps.
    I don't have much to say since I've never done revamping, but from what I see, I can say they're great, especially Pikachu! ^_^
    I can see you revamped the G/S/C sprites, good work! ^^

Oh I just found something -> You didn't shade the outline of Scizors upper wings. x3

Nimblethumbs

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Hey there Nimble, your sprites are coming along nicely, and I can see you improved by comparing Wimpike with the water starters. :)
    You also got my crit already so I won't be repeating what I said. xD

Anyways about your revamps.
    I don't have much to say since I've never done revamping, but from what I see, I can say they're great, especially Pikachu! ^_^
    I can see you revamped the G/S/C sprites, good work! ^^

Oh I just found something -> You didn't shade the outline of Scizors upper wings. x3

Yup, I noticed that. I'm gonna go and fix that..

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    This stuff shows a good understanding of the fundamentals, but

Cut out some colours. Nothing needs to have four shades of very similar brown and what you've done ends up blending together into a bad gradient.

The base colour and a shadow is fine, with highlights used in -rare- circumstances.

I don't like what you're doing here with the highlights. Everything has a highlight at the top of their head as if they're being hit from light shining down directly above them, and it makes everything look flat as a result. The biggest offender is Pelicrane's head, the sense of depth on it is totally messed up.

Scizor looks silly without having it's proportions adjusted to match the new style, and you can probably cut down on the highlighting instead of trying to adapt Gen II style to a new palette.

None of Pikachu's official sprites use that shade of yellow as an outline colour because it's simply too bright to flow into the rest of the sprite's outlines. Trying to recreate the highlight at the bottom of it's body in the new style is a bad idea, you should go with some more lower-body shading instead like it's modern sprites. A lot of the outlines around it's body can do with better use of colour too - the official sprites make use of more colours to give weight to his limbs and make the edges of his body look nicer.

Basically if you're going to revamp a Gen I or Gen II sprite it's best to throw most of the original shading away and instead look at how light would behave on the sprite in the newer styles.

Years
  • Pixellated Pixelly Pixels

It does look wimpy, so that's a good start. Like 100MS said, there are too many gradients of, essentially, the same color. Also, if you're going for a B/W style coloring you need darker outlines. If you're going for some earlier style you need the lower outlines to be darker. I'd suggest just going over the whole sprite and adjusting the details now that you've had more practice. On a stylistic note, having an almost entirely monochromatic fakemon is a little boring. The fins and body don't need to use the same color palette.

Overall it's pretty good. The colors don't clash and are pretty pleasing. The pose is interesting and there's enough detail to keep it from looking plain, but not so much that it looks messy. The outline, however, is messy in a few places such as above the eye and on the inside of the mouth where it's double the thickness it should be.

A few things that I think could improve this sprite would be to extend a few parts outside and over the outline of the body. The feet only stick out a pixel or two past the shape of the body. The body outline acts visually like your frame or border and it's not so good looking to have parts touching the edge and not going over. That brings more attention to the border (or here, the outline) than the more important parts, the feet. I'm seeing a similar thing going on with the head where the yellow pointy bit to the right of the eye comes to a point just where the edge of the head is. It should either not extend that far (or the head should stick out a little more) or it should extend past the outline so that it properly looks like it's on top.

These really should have more differing faces and it's the evolution which should probably have something different since these kind of simple faces work better on the smaller, cuter looking types. I'm seeing a weird effect on the outline of the first one. Where the outline 'disappears' behind the fin it looks like both sides of the outline are heading in slightly different directions and wouldn't actually meet up.

Nimblethumbs

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    @T1000MS- Yeah, wimpike was my first sprite. I knew nothing then o.0'. Tnguye VMed me and told me the same problems, and now I see what he was getting to. And, yeah, I know I messed up on the scizor. I didn't chuck the original shading, and I was to lazy to fix it... Thanks for the crit.

@Scarf- When i started wimpike, I had absolutley no grasp on softening lines. I only started getting a grip when I was editing tnguye's carrot thing from the communitydex. I also noticed pelicrane's lineart errors, and I'll fix that. I'm also not to happy with my starters now,and now I saw what pokemidnight (Another spriter for the team) meant with changing around their faces. How do you suggest I change their faces? I'm blank on how this evo and the next one should look like. :/

Thanks for the crit.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Also

Tiny eyes and tiny pupils do not go well on Pokémon. Generally, even the smallest of Pokémon have large, detailed eyes in their sprites -

There are only very few exceptions to this.

Nimblethumbs

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Also

Tiny eyes and tiny pupils do not go well on Pokémon. Generally, even the smallest of Pokémon have large, detailed eyes in their sprites -

There are only very few exceptions to this.

That's the thing. I have no idea how to fit large eyes on such a small face. This thing is meant to look cute, so I tried the pichu eye approach, instead it ended up looking like it got punched in the stomach and it's eyes were popping out. Do have any suggestions to fit eyes on a small face? (me is kinda desperate... jk.)

Nimblethumbs

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    New sprite:

Sorry for the icky white bg... Well, it's my first animated sprite.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • The animated sprite dog doesn't give the "animated" feeling.
    It's just the same sprite rotating/panning and shaking.
    Animated sprites bend their leg, move their head and arms etc. Their bodies aren't static. ;)

And the vs sprite, it's very good. You should just work on the left (his right) arm and the fist, as the fist shape is too narrow and the arm is bent too much at a 90 degrees angle, you should lower it down.

You could also pimp the hair a little, but other wise, the vs sprite is really good. ^^

Forgot to mention: The dark yellow stripes should alter their direction at the arms, unless it's an intentional design. ^^

Nimblethumbs

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Hah, the dog was a joke. It was an experiment xD.

As for the trainer, I see what you mean. His hair was meant to be like that so it looks like me. I'm still working with vs sprites, trying to use scarf as an inspiration and a source of help. Scarf sprites vs sprites real good.

As for the stripes, I have a little confession. The yellow stripes were achieved by a texture I had used. Overlay blending mode. Thats why if you zoom in, you see stray pixels for aliasing. Imma sorry, i have to keep my graphic skills, its now part of me (mostly cause im good at it.)

Years
  • It is quite dull for the design, like I said in the communitydex thread the sprite doesn't really fit it's name and concept. The blue outline on it's 'back' seems too bright in my opinion as well and the overall outline needs a lot of cleaning up. On the bottom is quite jagged because you're alternating between one pixel, two or three pixels, one pixel and so on. You need to even the amount of pixels you have for your outline to make it look smooth and clean.
    Here's my edit, i've shown what outline i edited a bit in dark red.

Nimblethumbs

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Thanks for the help logi. I still suck at curves D:

I doubt I'll be changing it as we've already got a new sprite for permask.

Back