• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Elite Redux v1.6.1 [complete] — Unique Multi-Ability Difficulty Hack

Days
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Please Please PLEASEEEEE make Water Pulse a "sound" move for Amp Loud Bang and Punk Rock also sound proof feels weird it's not.

Unless i'm mistaken Multihead is bugged it counts Alolan Executor as having 3 heads (the fruit on it's tail is a 4th head) and Barbacle has 5 if these were intentional putting a "capped at 3" in the ability text would be nice.

Having played the game up to Sootopolis and despite initial impressions I think the game despite being some of the best Ai ive seen in a hack has some deeply flawed teams on important battles. Winnona is a great example of this despite being near the end of the game she falls to the usual flying type weaknesses I expected pokemon like Gliscor Salamence or heck what about the Redux or even normal Noivern. instead she has the same issue of base just with better statlines.

Double Battles fall much to easy to explosion/self destruct/outburst/mistysplode since your saccing one pokemon for two Galvanize and it's clones are just too good at buffing the move and you can prep a mon to tank the damage or even benefit from it the ai likely cannot. Ive been using Alolan Golem but I see lot's of potential abusers Sol Rock (I think) can even boost it with sun fairly easy.

I would love some kind of indicator of the requirements the mega trainers and overworld pokemon want before they will accept your challenge.

Im not sure if this is a good idea or not but i figure i would ask anyway Any chance making certain moves "Wrestling" moves that count for both striker and punch buffs? as of right now Striker has an abysmal move pool to work with and adding moves that are not strictly leg or fist only might alleviate that pain

Good hack have already recommended it to my friends looking forward to replaying it with some randomizers on.

Edit: Setting up floor traps like say sticky web that triggers fort knox twice seems to cause a crash IF followed up with another defense boosting ability like let's roll (thanks victory road last trainer) or at least that's what i think is causing it it seems consistent. I would also assume any abilities that cause a +7 boost or more like this in a single round might also cause similar crashes though i don't see any other pokemon that can do that? maybe anger point crit with moxie?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    This is an amazing hack! This is exactly the game I was looking for!

By the way, Do you plan to add Mega Pokémon and Gen9 Pokémon in future updates?
    I'd like to see mega rhyperior for example.

I am not good at English so I use deepL
    Sorry if my grammar is weird.

Days
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    Amazing game! However, I'm having a tough time evolving Clawitzer into it's redux form. It is 10:00PM where I am and it's only ever evolving to its regular form. I've tried swapping day and night by talking to the guy at the right of the pokemon center and nothing seems to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    Adding the option to turbo-next dialogue by pressing the "R" button (like on RadicalRed and Unbound) would be a huge time saver and finger saver!

Days
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Amazing game! However, I'm having a tough time evolving Clawitzer into it's redux form. It is 10:00PM where I am and it's only ever evolving to its regular form. I've tried swapping day and night by talking to the guy at the right of the pokemon center and nothing seems to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

go to the Pokemon center there is a guy on the east side behind a counter activate invert night and day then evolve it should work.

Days
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    Hi! Sorry but I have a question. I played the 1.6 alpha version with a friend, and when we wanted to continue on the current version; While I was able to import my game without problems, my friend got an error saying something like "the save file is damaged/corrupt." Is there a way to solve this or that we can transfer his game so that we can both play in the current version?

Days
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    So, I've noticed several abilities seem to be bugged in double battles. The ones I have noticed so far:
    Scare: If the rightmost opponent mon is missing for any reason when the mon comes out, the left mon gets hit twice.
    Haunted Spirit: Can only trigger on the rightmost mon, if they are fainted when the mon does, it just doesn't activate.
    Opportunist: Doesn't seem to trigger. Likely related to the previous abilities only checking the rightmost mon.

Days
    • Seen today
    This is the best game I've played this year!
    I have been thinking about how to give some weak Pokémon a chance to fight (such as insect type Pokémon), so I created a lot of field effects in my game (most of the inspiration comes from Pokémon Rebirth/Rejuv game) to make the game more interesting and any Pokémon could be powerful under certain fields.
    I played your game, multiple abilities definitely give any pokemon a fighting chance! And way more fun!
    Thanks for sharing the code!
    I thought I would build on your work and add some additional field effects (just for fun for myself) to make the battle more interesting (or maybe complex/boring).
    Hahaha~
    Just wondering would you try adding some field effects into the ER?

Days
    • Seen Dec 10, 2023
    I have to say this romhack is really amazing, but there are some questionable things I found in the Dex. Firstly the way to encounter Sunkern was apparently by breaking a rock in Route 117 (which has 0 rocks) and Skiploom could be found in Route 111 Ruins Exterior Land which I didn't find it.

(I wasn't sure whether or not you are associated with the Emerald Redux Dex or not, so forgive me if I was living under a rock this entire time)

Days
    • Seen Jan 4, 2024
    I absolutely love your game. I hope however you will take into account this comment: ability randomizer mode is unplayable because the pokemons don't retain their abilities through evolution

Days
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    I can't get the basement key from Wattson. After beating the fifth gym, I checked to see if Wattson was walking around mauville. He wasn't. I've since become champion and he's still just in his gym. How am I supposed to get the basement key? I asked in discord and nobody knew what I should do.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi! Rising Voltage seems to not work as intended, it looks like if you are levitating, the move will not double in power regardless of if the target is grounded or not.
    Edit: I can confirm that, after fighting Watson, Rising Voltage works the opposite way it's supposed to, as my Alolan Raichu got hit with double damage despite having Levitate.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Jan 26, 2024
    hello let me introduce myself, my name is John, I am a big fan of your game, but I would like you Mr.darkyy92 to do a few things for me, I would like you to work with the creator of Pokémon exceeded to create the ultimate game, imagine a world where father and son hold hands so that we fans no longer have to choose between the two, I'm not asking you to merge Pokémon Unbound and radical red (even if that would be great ), I would just like you to merge your project in such a way that you fill the holes with the best of the two, take for example the distribution of ev, exceeded have the best while the distribution of talents at elite redux makes much more sense , I want to be able to use the Sandbox mode in order to create for example a perfect mega Krookodile, your two are very similar and even too much, as for the map try to glue the areas of the two, find an arrangement like you did with emerald, I know that this is a colossal project that may take forever but it doesn't matter, I will wait, I have time and ideas although I have no talent in programming, I can provide you with the ideas and other things,i know i am asking a lot from you but for pity are you interested about my comment please,it will not be a big step for me but for us fans of Rom Hack Pokemon , so are you with me?

Years
  • Elite Redux

Online Pokédex | Discord
    Download | Documentation
    Current Version: v1.6.1 | Changelog

Introduction

TL;DR: If you like challenges, love battling & teambuilding with zero grinding, all within a fresh & unique package with tons of Quality of Life changes, this hack is for you. Pokémon Elite Redux is not just another difficulty hack. Its features combined are probably nothing you've seen before.

Hi, my name is Darky. I loved Pokémon games since I was 6 years old. I've been playing ROM hacks for many years now, and started making custom patches for myself to ROM hacks I loved many years ago.

When I played through Gaia, Unbound, Radical Red, Inclement Emerald etc., I wanted to create a game to cater to my taste - rebalancing everything for more fun & variety, while reducing grinding. I always loved battling most, trying out new strategies. This is a difficulty hack, which I tried to make as challenging as possible without giving the enemy too much unfair advantages. There is also an Easy Mode, which is explained below.

I always felt a bit limited by just having one ability per Pokémon at the same time. Then Exceeded came out, and I knew what I wanted to do, since Exceeded was lacking essential things for me (unique trainers, difficulty and QoL). What was originally just intended for myself to enjoy and in development for over 2 years now, I can proudly share my dream ROM hack with you.

Since this hack is based on Inclement Emerald / Yda patch (with permission from Buffel Saft & Yda 🤍), I continue the spirit of making the game open-source. You can use Elite Redux or parts of it and do whatever you want.

Features

Up to 4 Abilities At The Same Time: Every Pokémon can have up to 3 switchable abilities along with up to 3 fixed ones (innates). This creates fun new strategies and endless replayability, as you can play many Pokémon in several ways. Imagine Gyarados with Moxie & Aerilate or Intimidate at the same time!

Every Single Trainer Has A Full Custom Moveset: Every Trainer party has been reworked manually, considering all new/changed abilities & moves. Most trainers have full competitive movesets with varying held items. Every rematch has been crafted individually for variety. You won't meet the same brain-dead Poochyena with Tackle everywhere ;-)

Unique Difficulty: Most strategies the AI uses, you can too. Be creative! Battle Style is always "Set". When choosing the Elite Difficulty, there is a good chance you will get slapped by the first Trainer if you're not prepared.

110+ New Custom Abilities: Featuring a total of over 370 abilities with around 50 changed/extended abilities, you will have lots of options to defeat the many challenges awaiting you. Also, all ability descriptions have been rewritten for more accuracy!

Reworked & Stronger AI: We revamped the AI to include all new/changed abilities & moves. Also, every Trainer now uses the smartest AI.

Zero Grinding

- You can set EVs quick & easy on the Summary Screen.

- Furthermore, you can change natures and abilities via Summary Screen.

- You'll get a new Candy Box (unlimited rare candies) so you can switch teams often to try out new strategies. Rare Candies have Gen 8 mechanics, which means you can evolve at the Level Cap. You can either level up to 4 levels at a time or jump directly to the current Level Cap to save time!

- Every Pokémon has 31 IVs by default. You can easily change Hidden Power types with the Type Gems.

- You can set your Speed IVs to 0 (for Trick Room teams) or back to 31 with the new Iron Pill item.

- All Poké Balls have a 100% catch rate. You can use any ball you like. Additionally, every ball is infinite use.

- All held items stay on your Pokémon after battling - no more re-equipping Berries & Focus Sashes!

- Auto-Heal before every battle - no need for medicines or other healing items anymore.

Reworked Pokémon, Abilities, Moves & Items: Every single Pokémon has been given love individually, e.g. Gyarados is now Water/Dragon with Levitate and Gengar can be used physically or specially. We reworked many moves to be less frustrating or more fun to use. For example, Aurora Beam now always lowers the foe's Attack by one stage. The type chart hasn't been touched. Some items like Big Root and Shell Bell have been buffed.

As the first ROM hack ever, we have a moveset database (similar to Smogon)

You can access it on our amazing Online Dex - made by Ydarissep.

Teach Moves Directly From The Party Menu: Now you can teach all available Level-Up moves, Egg moves, TMs/HMs and Tutor moves conveniently.

Portable PC: Just like in newer Pokémon games, there is no need to go back to the Pokémon Center just to change your party. Also, you can now edit all your Pokémon directly in the PC!

Custom Gift Pokémon: Since there is practically zero grinding, you'll get access to full custom (competitive movesets) Pokémon by various characters.

Upgraded Battle Engine & Battle UI

Using RH-Hideouts Battle Engine, all Pokémon from Gen 1 to 7 (1200+ Species) plus many Gen 8 Pokémon are catchable and most Gen 8 moves, abilities & items too. Including Mega Evolution, but not Z-Moves.
    For some Mega Evolutions, you can even choose between 3 different abilities!

Vastly improved Battle UI, which shows Type Effectiveness & STAB to help with some new typings. It even considers abilities such as Levitate. Also, you can press L when selecting moves to check Power, Accuracy and if the move makes contact - just like in CFRU hacks!

Frostbite has replaced Freeze: No more annoying freezes! Frostbite deals 1/16 HP damage per turn. Special Attack of the affected Pokémon is halved. 3x chance of Frostbite in hail.

Diverse Postgame

There are many really strong trainers (including Gym Leaders & E4) waiting for you after you've beat the E4. There are up to 4 carefully crafted rematches per trainer. You also don't have to wait a day anymore to rematch Gym Leaders - you can battle whenever you like!

You can choose Singles or Doubles, with or without Legendaries for important Rematches
    After beating the Champ, you can catch all remaining Legendaries (Gen 1 - 7 and two special Pokémon from Gen 8) if you have beaten all trainers on certain routes.

Easy Catching / Tweaked DexNav: Featuring ghoulslash's improved DexNav, which we further tweaked for easier catching. You can instantly scan for the Pokémon you want from the beginning. They also don't run away anymore. Did I mention, you will have unlimited Pokéballs with 100% catch rate?

Access To Many Battle & Evolution Items From The Start: You're not limited by any means - it's totally fine to send your 252/252 Atk/Speed Pokémon with Choice Band and Adamant nature against the first trainer. You'll also get all Mega Stones before battling Norman (5th Gym).

New Forfeit Feature: You can now forfeit Trainer battles, so you don't have to waste time when getting stalled ;-)

Wins & Losses Counter: Displays your unique wins (every unique team including rematches defeated) and losses (including forfeiting)

New Locations (from IE): A few maps, like Petalburg Woods and Scorched Slab, have been expanded with new areas, and there are also a few all-new locations. This helps to spread out Pokémon species and keep grassy patches from getting too crowded. Some new maps also serve as homes to Legendary Pokémon that wouldn't normally be found in Emerald.

Day, Dusk & Night System (from IE): Day is 4am to 6pm, Night is 6pm to 4am, and Dusk is 5pm to 6pm

Weather Rework (from IE): Weather-inducing abilities like Drought and Drizzle create endless weather again, but the damage bonus from sun and rain has been reduced to 20%. The goal behind this was to make defensive weather abilities like Ice Body and Rain Dish better options, while reigning in Swift Swim and its clones a bit. Additionally, Ice Types receive a 50% defense boost in Hail. It really does help all those slow, defensive Ice types!

Custom List of 100 TMs, 8 HMs and ~ 130 Tutor Moves (from IE): Some of these are entirely new, such as Meteor Mash, Quiver Dance and Freeze-Dry

Custom Mega Evolutions (from IE): Pokémon like Milotic and Flygon can finally mega evolve - complete with custom sprites and cries. Some Gigantamax forms like Kingler have also been repurposed as Megas.

Enhanced Pokédex (from IE): Elite Redux uses TheXaman's Pokédex Plus, which shows base stats, learnsets, egg moves, evolutions and more, all in game!

Choose Any Regional Starter (from Gen 1-8): Before choosing a starter, you'll be asked which region you want your starters to come from, and then you can pick one of the three from that region. Be careful not to fast-forward your way through the early game and skip this choice!

Accessible For Everyone

Intended as a difficulty hack first, but you can pick between three difficulty modes and three level caps. Play how you like it. You can also turn off EVs completely anytime in any mode.

• Easy Mode: Trainers have no EVs, but you can have them. That's a huge advantage, but the teams will still be a challenge! Bag use in battles is disabled. The Set battle style is enforced.
    • Ace Mode: Same teams & limitations as in Easy Mode, but every trainer has custom EVs. Also, there is a sleep clause, which prevents putting more than 1 Pokémon to sleep.
    • Elite Mode: Same limitations as in Ace Mode, but you'll face much harder teams for important fights, like Gym Leaders and the Pokémon League. Additionally, you have to unlock more innates by defeating the first 2 Gyms.

Lower The Difficulty Anytime
    You can lower the difficulty in any Pokémon Center, but you can't go higher.
    Lowering goes like this: Elite -> Ace -> Easy

Various Fun Randomizer Modes

Encounter Randomizer, Ability Randomizer, Innate Randomizer, Move Randomizer

Tons Of Quality Of Life Changes

Rewritten move descriptions for more clarity or to describe new effects, now it's much easier to see the chance for additional effects like flinching, or which moves affect Iron Fist / Mega Launcher etc.

Updated Move Details Screen - now shows more move details like Critical Hit Rate, chance of Secondary Effects etc.

Enable / disable permanent repel from the Options Menu

Level Cap System: Once a Pokémon is over the cap, it'll only get one EXP point per KO.
    You also see the current level cap in the Start Menu.

Smart Level Scaling - Wild Pokémon and Trainers scale to your level, even works with the DexNav.

Updated Summary Screen - now also shows Base Stats at a glance.

Register items in a list menu (press L to access list)

Expanded Bag Space with more pockets

Unlimited TM use, new TM case from Fire Red

No need to teach HMs
    , also you can fly to already visited places with every Pokémon

You can now get the Mach and Acro bike simultaneously

Berries grow instantly, and yield 100 berries

Wild Encounters on Berry Trees

Disabled random calls from Trainers

In-Game Tutorial NPC, explains most important changes

New item: Iron Pill: Use it on any Pokémon to set Speed IVs to 0. Use again to set back to 31.

Easier evolution (Night / Day / Friendship / Trade Evos removed)

Day & Night Inverter
    for wild Pokémon (old guy in every Pokémon Center)

Nurse Joy: insta-heal without dialogue (but not really needed anymore because of auto-healing before battles)

You can change Eevolutions forth and back >> there's an NPC in Rustboro Pokémon Center
    This gives the possibility to have moves like Leaf Blade (from Leafeon) for Flareon

All eggs hatch in 4 cycles (shortest possible)

Removed daycare egg daily limit

Eviolite doesn't prevent evolutions to allow for faster teambuilding, but still gives 50% Defense Boosts

Auto Run – Also works indoors. You can hold B while it's on to walk, or to run when it's off. You can even hold B to surf faster!

The name rater can be found in every Pokémon Center. You can even rename other trainers' Pokémon!

Decapitalisation: no more capslock

No more low HP beep - finally!

Custom Options Menu

• Auto Run
    • Permanent Repel
    • Display damage: shows the damage dealt
    • Ask for Nickname
    • Play with or without EVs anytime (if you disable, the enemy also doesn't have EVs)
    • AI controlled battles - the AI controls your team in battle, which is fun sometimes!
    • Shiny Rate Booster (up to 1/5 chance)
    • Individually-Unique Pokémon Colors Patch

Boosted Shiny Rate: Now you can boost the Shiny Rate drastically - no need to waste hours looking for the color you want!

All Moves Are PP Maxed: Like in Pokémon Showdown, every move is PP maxed (yours and the AI)

Lots Of Useful Items From Nurse Joy: Every time you talk to her in any Pokémon Center, she fills up your bag again:

• Candy Box - level up (up to 4 levels with one click or directly to the current Level Cap), without grinding
    • Upgraded DexNav - instantly see all Pokémon in an area without battling them first
    • All relevant Battle Items (Leftovers, Choice Band/Scarf/Specs, Life Orb, Type Gems and much more)
    • All TMs and HMs + TM Case (but you need to progress the story like usual to unlock Surf etc. in the overworld)
    • One of each Pokéball - they don't get used anymore when you throw them
    • All useful Berries (Sitrus, Salac, Figy etc.)
    • Iron Pill - to set your Speed IVs to 0 or back to 31, useful for Trick Room
    • Honey for some wild encounters
    • Escape Rope to save time

FAQ

• What is still missing? Some Gen 8 Pokémon. Also, the Battle Frontier is not accessible.
    • Where can I find Pokémon XYZ? Look in the Online Dex or *UPCOMING PDF*
    • Are there cheats? Not really, as this is a heavily modified version of Pokémon Emerald, but there aren't many cases where you would need cheats, I think. We will implement a Sandbox toggle in a future update.

Download

Find a clean version of Pokémon Emerald >> 1986 - Pokemon Emerald (U)(TrashMan)

Then use our Online Patcher:
    elite-redux.com

Thank you & Credits

• pret: Decompilation of Pokémon Emerald
    • Dizzy Egg / RHH: Battle Engine, Pokémon Expansion, Item Expansion, nature-coloured stats, higher money cap
    • Rioluwott (Pokémon ROWE) - I would have never finished this hack without you
    • Giolitti - coding, texting, playtesting & balancing
    • NocturneOfShadow - for helping with playtesting, balancing and creating trainer parties
    • Thundertacos - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Tuna - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • GobouLePoissonBoue - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and reporting all sorts of bugs ;-)
    • Kaixer - for creating many teams used in the hack and helping with docs
    • Frozen - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and working on teams
    • Cyro - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • rabbidbunnyz - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • TheSlayingStray - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • PCG - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • adri - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • aArin - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Attactaxi - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Nigel - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Barack Oboughmer - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Gorilink - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • D U K - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Sol Raven - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Café - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • ryuuune - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Dreamfield - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • TetBR - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Rize - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • ponk - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • BuffelSaft (Inclement Emerald) - for your outstanding work with Inclement Emerald and letting me use it as a base, I'm so thankful for this opportunity
    • Ydarissep - for setting up the Online Pokédex, creating the Yda patch (IE), helping with ROM hacking & teaching and helping me getting started with your base / patch
    • Karathan / Sbird1337 (Sovereign of the Skies) - for helping me with abilities and bugfixing
    • ghoulslash (Unbound, Voyager)- for helping in Discord, DexNav, Auto-Run, Fast Surf, Medicine Reuse, Expanded OW IDs, plural giveitem
    • Skeli (Unbound) - for inspiration regarding quality, QoL, Parental Bond code
    • Lunos - for your help & patience in Discord, Reusable TMs, OW poison changes, Gracidea form change
    • Archie - for your tutorials & help in Discord
    • beniboy (Exceeded)- for inspiring me with his ROM hack & lots of abilities/innates (multi-abilities)
    • soupercell (Radical Red) - for difficulty, ability & move inspiration
    • AsparagusEduardo - Decapitalisation, More Bag Pockets, Pokédex+
    • TheXaman - for Pokédex Plus and running indoors
    • Howls - for your amazing documentation of Inclement Emerald and letting me use it as a base
    • Wyserth - for decapitalisation
    • Contributors to the Simple Modifications thread: various small changes
    • Camthesaxman: expanded OW IDs
    • lightbox87: whiteout money
    • NobodySociety: Fire Red style fishing
    • Furret: Music Expansion (HGSS and DPPt tracks)
    • SamuRH/Xhizy: RHH/PRET intro
    • Chaos Rush, Mr. Dollsteak, contributors to the DS-Style sprite resources: Pokémon sprites
    • Crema: Temtem's "Tem Vial", which inspired the Poké Vial item
    • Jaizu & Citrus Bolt - for the DPPT summary screen
    • Anyone I forgot, who helped me on this amazing journey!
    Is there an issue with the Online Dex? it never loads to and shows up as a 404 error on GitHub.

Great Hack btw!! it's lots of fun

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    Hi guys, I forked the latest version of the Pokedex with an open source license that explicitly allows re-distribution.
    I'm looking forward to the new Pokedex and this should just be a workaround until then.
    Source:
    Pokedex:

Days
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    Hi guys, I forked the latest version of the Pokedex with an open source license that explicitly allows re-distribution.
    I'm looking forward to the new Pokedex and this should just be a workaround until then.
    Source:
    Pokedex:
    Hey please add cheat code to wild pokemon encounter, i want to catch pokemon to make a team but i cant because i still not reach the route require, please make cheat code wild pokemon, help

Days
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    Elite Redux

Online Pokédex | Discord
    Download | Documentation
    Current Version: v1.6.1 | Changelog

Introduction

TL;DR: If you like challenges, love battling & teambuilding with zero grinding, all within a fresh & unique package with tons of Quality of Life changes, this hack is for you. Pokémon Elite Redux is not just another difficulty hack. Its features combined are probably nothing you've seen before.

Hi, my name is Darky. I loved Pokémon games since I was 6 years old. I've been playing ROM hacks for many years now, and started making custom patches for myself to ROM hacks I loved many years ago.

When I played through Gaia, Unbound, Radical Red, Inclement Emerald etc., I wanted to create a game to cater to my taste - rebalancing everything for more fun & variety, while reducing grinding. I always loved battling most, trying out new strategies. This is a difficulty hack, which I tried to make as challenging as possible without giving the enemy too much unfair advantages. There is also an Easy Mode, which is explained below.

I always felt a bit limited by just having one ability per Pokémon at the same time. Then Exceeded came out, and I knew what I wanted to do, since Exceeded was lacking essential things for me (unique trainers, difficulty and QoL). What was originally just intended for myself to enjoy and in development for over 2 years now, I can proudly share my dream ROM hack with you.

Since this hack is based on Inclement Emerald / Yda patch (with permission from Buffel Saft & Yda 🤍), I continue the spirit of making the game open-source. You can use Elite Redux or parts of it and do whatever you want.

Features

Up to 4 Abilities At The Same Time: Every Pokémon can have up to 3 switchable abilities along with up to 3 fixed ones (innates). This creates fun new strategies and endless replayability, as you can play many Pokémon in several ways. Imagine Gyarados with Moxie & Aerilate or Intimidate at the same time!

Every Single Trainer Has A Full Custom Moveset: Every Trainer party has been reworked manually, considering all new/changed abilities & moves. Most trainers have full competitive movesets with varying held items. Every rematch has been crafted individually for variety. You won't meet the same brain-dead Poochyena with Tackle everywhere ;-)

Unique Difficulty: Most strategies the AI uses, you can too. Be creative! Battle Style is always "Set". When choosing the Elite Difficulty, there is a good chance you will get slapped by the first Trainer if you're not prepared.

110+ New Custom Abilities: Featuring a total of over 370 abilities with around 50 changed/extended abilities, you will have lots of options to defeat the many challenges awaiting you. Also, all ability descriptions have been rewritten for more accuracy!

Reworked & Stronger AI: We revamped the AI to include all new/changed abilities & moves. Also, every Trainer now uses the smartest AI.

Zero Grinding

- You can set EVs quick & easy on the Summary Screen.

- Furthermore, you can change natures and abilities via Summary Screen.

- You'll get a new Candy Box (unlimited rare candies) so you can switch teams often to try out new strategies. Rare Candies have Gen 8 mechanics, which means you can evolve at the Level Cap. You can either level up to 4 levels at a time or jump directly to the current Level Cap to save time!

- Every Pokémon has 31 IVs by default. You can easily change Hidden Power types with the Type Gems.

- You can set your Speed IVs to 0 (for Trick Room teams) or back to 31 with the new Iron Pill item.

- All Poké Balls have a 100% catch rate. You can use any ball you like. Additionally, every ball is infinite use.

- All held items stay on your Pokémon after battling - no more re-equipping Berries & Focus Sashes!

- Auto-Heal before every battle - no need for medicines or other healing items anymore.

Reworked Pokémon, Abilities, Moves & Items: Every single Pokémon has been given love individually, e.g. Gyarados is now Water/Dragon with Levitate and Gengar can be used physically or specially. We reworked many moves to be less frustrating or more fun to use. For example, Aurora Beam now always lowers the foe's Attack by one stage. The type chart hasn't been touched. Some items like Big Root and Shell Bell have been buffed.

As the first ROM hack ever, we have a moveset database (similar to Smogon)

You can access it on our amazing Online Dex - made by Ydarissep.

Teach Moves Directly From The Party Menu: Now you can teach all available Level-Up moves, Egg moves, TMs/HMs and Tutor moves conveniently.

Portable PC: Just like in newer Pokémon games, there is no need to go back to the Pokémon Center just to change your party. Also, you can now edit all your Pokémon directly in the PC!

Custom Gift Pokémon: Since there is practically zero grinding, you'll get access to full custom (competitive movesets) Pokémon by various characters.

Upgraded Battle Engine & Battle UI

Using RH-Hideouts Battle Engine, all Pokémon from Gen 1 to 7 (1200+ Species) plus many Gen 8 Pokémon are catchable and most Gen 8 moves, abilities & items too. Including Mega Evolution, but not Z-Moves.
    For some Mega Evolutions, you can even choose between 3 different abilities!

Vastly improved Battle UI, which shows Type Effectiveness & STAB to help with some new typings. It even considers abilities such as Levitate. Also, you can press L when selecting moves to check Power, Accuracy and if the move makes contact - just like in CFRU hacks!

Frostbite has replaced Freeze: No more annoying freezes! Frostbite deals 1/16 HP damage per turn. Special Attack of the affected Pokémon is halved. 3x chance of Frostbite in hail.

Diverse Postgame

There are many really strong trainers (including Gym Leaders & E4) waiting for you after you've beat the E4. There are up to 4 carefully crafted rematches per trainer. You also don't have to wait a day anymore to rematch Gym Leaders - you can battle whenever you like!

You can choose Singles or Doubles, with or without Legendaries for important Rematches
    After beating the Champ, you can catch all remaining Legendaries (Gen 1 - 7 and two special Pokémon from Gen 8) if you have beaten all trainers on certain routes.

Easy Catching / Tweaked DexNav: Featuring ghoulslash's improved DexNav, which we further tweaked for easier catching. You can instantly scan for the Pokémon you want from the beginning. They also don't run away anymore. Did I mention, you will have unlimited Pokéballs with 100% catch rate?

Access To Many Battle & Evolution Items From The Start: You're not limited by any means - it's totally fine to send your 252/252 Atk/Speed Pokémon with Choice Band and Adamant nature against the first trainer. You'll also get all Mega Stones before battling Norman (5th Gym).

New Forfeit Feature: You can now forfeit Trainer battles, so you don't have to waste time when getting stalled ;-)

Wins & Losses Counter: Displays your unique wins (every unique team including rematches defeated) and losses (including forfeiting)

New Locations (from IE): A few maps, like Petalburg Woods and Scorched Slab, have been expanded with new areas, and there are also a few all-new locations. This helps to spread out Pokémon species and keep grassy patches from getting too crowded. Some new maps also serve as homes to Legendary Pokémon that wouldn't normally be found in Emerald.

Day, Dusk & Night System (from IE): Day is 4am to 6pm, Night is 6pm to 4am, and Dusk is 5pm to 6pm

Weather Rework (from IE): Weather-inducing abilities like Drought and Drizzle create endless weather again, but the damage bonus from sun and rain has been reduced to 20%. The goal behind this was to make defensive weather abilities like Ice Body and Rain Dish better options, while reigning in Swift Swim and its clones a bit. Additionally, Ice Types receive a 50% defense boost in Hail. It really does help all those slow, defensive Ice types!

Custom List of 100 TMs, 8 HMs and ~ 130 Tutor Moves (from IE): Some of these are entirely new, such as Meteor Mash, Quiver Dance and Freeze-Dry

Custom Mega Evolutions (from IE): Pokémon like Milotic and Flygon can finally mega evolve - complete with custom sprites and cries. Some Gigantamax forms like Kingler have also been repurposed as Megas.

Enhanced Pokédex (from IE): Elite Redux uses TheXaman's Pokédex Plus, which shows base stats, learnsets, egg moves, evolutions and more, all in game!

Choose Any Regional Starter (from Gen 1-8): Before choosing a starter, you'll be asked which region you want your starters to come from, and then you can pick one of the three from that region. Be careful not to fast-forward your way through the early game and skip this choice!

Accessible For Everyone

Intended as a difficulty hack first, but you can pick between three difficulty modes and three level caps. Play how you like it. You can also turn off EVs completely anytime in any mode.

• Easy Mode: Trainers have no EVs, but you can have them. That's a huge advantage, but the teams will still be a challenge! Bag use in battles is disabled. The Set battle style is enforced.
    • Ace Mode: Same teams & limitations as in Easy Mode, but every trainer has custom EVs. Also, there is a sleep clause, which prevents putting more than 1 Pokémon to sleep.
    • Elite Mode: Same limitations as in Ace Mode, but you'll face much harder teams for important fights, like Gym Leaders and the Pokémon League. Additionally, you have to unlock more innates by defeating the first 2 Gyms.

Lower The Difficulty Anytime
    You can lower the difficulty in any Pokémon Center, but you can't go higher.
    Lowering goes like this: Elite -> Ace -> Easy

Various Fun Randomizer Modes

Encounter Randomizer, Ability Randomizer, Innate Randomizer, Move Randomizer

Tons Of Quality Of Life Changes

Rewritten move descriptions for more clarity or to describe new effects, now it's much easier to see the chance for additional effects like flinching, or which moves affect Iron Fist / Mega Launcher etc.

Updated Move Details Screen - now shows more move details like Critical Hit Rate, chance of Secondary Effects etc.

Enable / disable permanent repel from the Options Menu

Level Cap System: Once a Pokémon is over the cap, it'll only get one EXP point per KO.
    You also see the current level cap in the Start Menu.

Smart Level Scaling - Wild Pokémon and Trainers scale to your level, even works with the DexNav.

Updated Summary Screen - now also shows Base Stats at a glance.

Register items in a list menu (press L to access list)

Expanded Bag Space with more pockets

Unlimited TM use, new TM case from Fire Red

No need to teach HMs
    , also you can fly to already visited places with every Pokémon

You can now get the Mach and Acro bike simultaneously

Berries grow instantly, and yield 100 berries

Wild Encounters on Berry Trees

Disabled random calls from Trainers

In-Game Tutorial NPC, explains most important changes

New item: Iron Pill: Use it on any Pokémon to set Speed IVs to 0. Use again to set back to 31.

Easier evolution (Night / Day / Friendship / Trade Evos removed)

Day & Night Inverter
    for wild Pokémon (old guy in every Pokémon Center)

Nurse Joy: insta-heal without dialogue (but not really needed anymore because of auto-healing before battles)

You can change Eevolutions forth and back >> there's an NPC in Rustboro Pokémon Center
    This gives the possibility to have moves like Leaf Blade (from Leafeon) for Flareon

All eggs hatch in 4 cycles (shortest possible)

Removed daycare egg daily limit

Eviolite doesn't prevent evolutions to allow for faster teambuilding, but still gives 50% Defense Boosts

Auto Run – Also works indoors. You can hold B while it's on to walk, or to run when it's off. You can even hold B to surf faster!

The name rater can be found in every Pokémon Center. You can even rename other trainers' Pokémon!

Decapitalisation: no more capslock

No more low HP beep - finally!

Custom Options Menu

• Auto Run
    • Permanent Repel
    • Display damage: shows the damage dealt
    • Ask for Nickname
    • Play with or without EVs anytime (if you disable, the enemy also doesn't have EVs)
    • AI controlled battles - the AI controls your team in battle, which is fun sometimes!
    • Shiny Rate Booster (up to 1/5 chance)
    • Individually-Unique Pokémon Colors Patch

Boosted Shiny Rate: Now you can boost the Shiny Rate drastically - no need to waste hours looking for the color you want!

All Moves Are PP Maxed: Like in Pokémon Showdown, every move is PP maxed (yours and the AI)

Lots Of Useful Items From Nurse Joy: Every time you talk to her in any Pokémon Center, she fills up your bag again:

• Candy Box - level up (up to 4 levels with one click or directly to the current Level Cap), without grinding
    • Upgraded DexNav - instantly see all Pokémon in an area without battling them first
    • All relevant Battle Items (Leftovers, Choice Band/Scarf/Specs, Life Orb, Type Gems and much more)
    • All TMs and HMs + TM Case (but you need to progress the story like usual to unlock Surf etc. in the overworld)
    • One of each Pokéball - they don't get used anymore when you throw them
    • All useful Berries (Sitrus, Salac, Figy etc.)
    • Iron Pill - to set your Speed IVs to 0 or back to 31, useful for Trick Room
    • Honey for some wild encounters
    • Escape Rope to save time

FAQ

• What is still missing? Some Gen 8 Pokémon. Also, the Battle Frontier is not accessible.
    • Where can I find Pokémon XYZ? Look in the Online Dex or *UPCOMING PDF*
    • Are there cheats? Not really, as this is a heavily modified version of Pokémon Emerald, but there aren't many cases where you would need cheats, I think. We will implement a Sandbox toggle in a future update.

Download

Find a clean version of Pokémon Emerald >> 1986 - Pokemon Emerald (U)(TrashMan)

Then use our Online Patcher:
    elite-redux.com

Thank you & Credits

• pret: Decompilation of Pokémon Emerald
    • Dizzy Egg / RHH: Battle Engine, Pokémon Expansion, Item Expansion, nature-coloured stats, higher money cap
    • Rioluwott (Pokémon ROWE) - I would have never finished this hack without you
    • Giolitti - coding, texting, playtesting & balancing
    • NocturneOfShadow - for helping with playtesting, balancing and creating trainer parties
    • Thundertacos - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Tuna - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • GobouLePoissonBoue - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and reporting all sorts of bugs ;-)
    • Kaixer - for creating many teams used in the hack and helping with docs
    • Frozen - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and working on teams
    • Cyro - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • rabbidbunnyz - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • TheSlayingStray - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • PCG - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • adri - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • aArin - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Attactaxi - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Nigel - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Barack Oboughmer - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Gorilink - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • D U K - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Sol Raven - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Café - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • ryuuune - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Dreamfield - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • TetBR - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • Rize - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • ponk - for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
    • BuffelSaft (Inclement Emerald) - for your outstanding work with Inclement Emerald and letting me use it as a base, I'm so thankful for this opportunity
    • Ydarissep - for setting up the Online Pokédex, creating the Yda patch (IE), helping with ROM hacking & teaching and helping me getting started with your base / patch
    • Karathan / Sbird1337 (Sovereign of the Skies) - for helping me with abilities and bugfixing
    • ghoulslash (Unbound, Voyager)- for helping in Discord, DexNav, Auto-Run, Fast Surf, Medicine Reuse, Expanded OW IDs, plural giveitem
    • Skeli (Unbound) - for inspiration regarding quality, QoL, Parental Bond code
    • Lunos - for your help & patience in Discord, Reusable TMs, OW poison changes, Gracidea form change
    • Archie - for your tutorials & help in Discord
    • beniboy (Exceeded)- for inspiring me with his ROM hack & lots of abilities/innates (multi-abilities)
    • soupercell (Radical Red) - for difficulty, ability & move inspiration
    • AsparagusEduardo - Decapitalisation, More Bag Pockets, Pokédex+
    • TheXaman - for Pokédex Plus and running indoors
    • Howls - for your amazing documentation of Inclement Emerald and letting me use it as a base
    • Wyserth - for decapitalisation
    • Contributors to the Simple Modifications thread: various small changes
    • Camthesaxman: expanded OW IDs
    • lightbox87: whiteout money
    • NobodySociety: Fire Red style fishing
    • Furret: Music Expansion (HGSS and DPPt tracks)
    • SamuRH/Xhizy: RHH/PRET intro
    • Chaos Rush, Mr. Dollsteak, contributors to the DS-Style sprite resources: Pokémon sprites
    • Crema: Temtem's "Tem Vial", which inspired the Poké Vial item
    • Jaizu & Citrus Bolt - for the DPPT summary screen
    • Anyone I forgot, who helped me on this amazing journey!
    Hey Man, Great hack, I was wondering where to find Toxel/Toxtricity? I looked on the dex but nothing shows up. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you!

Back