• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon October (DEMO 1 RELEASE)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Hey! Coming here from a Plague Von Karma stream where she mentioned the project. After playing through Gold Reforged twice, it's nice to see more people do justice to the Beta Gen 2 designs. I just entered Azalea town and am loving the hack so far. Here's some glitches I've noticed:
    - The moving sprites stopped after my third encounter of the game.
    - The "Key Items" tab is glitched and crashes the game when I scroll to it in my pack. This only occurred once I used the honeypot on a tree, after registering it to the select key. Similarly, the select key crashes the game.
    - Metronome will cause my opponents to skip their turn. This seems to be the case when I move first (at least its true when using Togepi).
    - The Tonboss ambush encounter has a glitched over-world sprite (it looks like a block of camouflage, which is kind of fitting). It also only knows leer (not sure if that's intentional or not).

Overall I'm really enjoying this project! Does anyone have a complete dex and learnset list? I'm eager to teambuild.

Edit: I should add that I'm playing on a mac and using openEMU.

Days
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    Hey all, dev here. Just registered here to give some updates on the project.

It's been (almost) a year, we've been busy with life and stuff—but we've managed to put in lots of changes since Demo 1 was released! There have not been major story advances yet, but we are refining what's already here:

Spoiler: Changelog from Discord

Even with all of those changes, our buggy implementation of the expanded items system has been haunting us ever since we added it. Problems related to it are some of the most reported issues we've received, so we're taking steps to resolve it by reworking how the game stores items… again. We're helped by Vulcandth, the current maintainer of the larger pokecrystal-16 project, who was inspired by our system and is working on fixing it for its eventual inclusion! Their version is what we're trying out here.

For that, we need more testers! This post contains version 0.02.pre5b, which comes from a different development branch specifically for this new items implementation. To hopefully speed up finding the various edge-cases, we're posting a patch for the debug version instead!

Spoiler: Debug Controls

We'll also try to look into the other bugs reported in this thread as we go along. Other known bugs include:
    • Unown are still incomplete, and accessing its image on the Pokedex or on the Color Test screen will crash the game.
    • Some animations may be glitched

Finally, sorry to break our promise of save-file compatibility again! (will we ever be stable??)

Please report any bugs you find either in this thread, the GitHub issues page, or the Discord server. Thank you!

Attachments

• pokeoctober-v.0.02.pre5b_debug.ips
      1.3 MB · Views: 11

Halfshadow

Sono italiano/I'm italian.
    Years
  • There are some issues, like the odd overworld battle pokémon in the route 34 that makes the game to crash, in the latest beta too. I don't know not even which pokémon should be, the cry seems a Shuckle but then the game crashes before see it during the battle.

And I need to see the genders during the battle please. I see that perhaps they weren't in the 1998 beta, but you added other advanced elements too, like speech for the gym leader during the battle and other stuff not exactly like the 1998 primitive beta and the genders are then later visible naming the pokémons or in the info menu.

The sage in the Sakura Shrine also says that given Bulbasaur hold an item like Mystic Petal, if I have room in party holds instead a Berry, if goes to BILL'S PC instead doesn't hold nothing. Oddly Tyrogue have this issue too, but opposite, if goes to Bill's PC hold an item, instead if I have room in party not. Why this?

And I played the previous beta, the one that told that if I save in Azalea pokécenter the savegame would be supported for the next release. And instead seems not.

Could you at least please then release a sav converter to save the efforts made before? I collected 70 pokémons thinking that the sav would be supported in the next release, would be a pity restart again from the beginning.

Days
    • Seen today
    Could you share the new music separately? I've been playing the newest demo for a few hours and got tired of it. Looks like I won't experience the new music and Orange Islands through gameplay, which are the main reasons that I gave this a try.

Bugs to report:

- starter Totodile evolves to Smoochum at lvl. 8 and every lvl. after; learns 8 moves at lvl. 8 when first evolving
    - 2nd party Mankey switched in during battle evolves to Smoochum, not sure which lvl.; following sprite is Wobuffett
    - Max Ether, Ether don't work
    - Cherrygrove house trade kid dialogue has garbled text in place of mon names
    - every Pkmn in possession holds mail; mail remains after sending mail to PC but mail appears in PC; mail message and item name in mail box are lines of question marks; transferring mail from PC to bag results in Master Ball in bag
    - talking to Cherrygrove Pagoda 2nd F sales clerk shows crash error
    - ball catch guide character invisible, cannot talk again after first encounter; encountered, maybe automatically, after jumping into grass while heading back to Silent Town after Whitney gym
    - non-functioning pink entrance marker in Dead Woods area near sign with warning about Mankey and Aggroswine
    - cannot talk to sign beside Fledgling Winston on Rte. 32

Last edited:
    Back