• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SapphireKingdra's Artwork

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 21, 2010
Well thanks much. I know I'm not too great. And my tiles are quite a mess. I still have a lot to learn. :)

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 21, 2010
Thanks a lot! I think I'll get started on my pixel-overs this weekend if I have time.

Years
I like the Kingdra and the personal sprite the most. Thumbs up!

The Espeon looks really blotchy because it's obvious you were trying to copy the paint-y look of the Sugimori art, which doesn't work with the number of colors you used in the pixelover. Try smoothing out the shading shapes, or adding additional colors to blend it more.

On the black/white haired request: the white part of the hair is pillowshaded in the middle of the bangs, but the rest is close to flawless.

On the Leonardo mug: I used to be a Fire Emblem spriter. If you're still interested in that spriting style, I can show you how to fix it up.

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 21, 2010
I like the Kingdra and the personal sprite the most. Thumbs up!
Well thank you. :)

The Espeon looks really blotchy because it's obvious you were trying to copy the paint-y look of the Sugimori art, which doesn't work with the number of colors you used in the pixelover. Try smoothing out the shading shapes, or adding additional colors to blend it more.
Alrighty then. I may fix it up, I am not sure. Haha.

On the black/white haired request: the white part of the hair is pillowshaded in the middle of the bangs, but the rest is close to flawless.
OH NO! I pillowshaded? *facepalm* That's a beginner mistake! GAHH.

On the Leonardo mug: I used to be a Fire Emblem spriter. If you're still interested in that spriting style, I can show you how to fix it up.
Is it bad? I wasn't going for the actual FE Style, more trying to copy his official art. Haha. I can sprite in the FE style, too.

JoshuaSoldier-3.gif

There's my personal character... It was simple, but whatever.
Armor-1.gif

Custom armor I had been working on (It's a full-custom based on official art, like Leonardo, which is why there is a magic bullet). Oh, and I know the trim is kinda-sorta pillow-shaded, but I was actually going for that effect on this one. :P

Years
Well, the armor itself is pillowshaded on the (I assume it's a sage of some type). The general outline is really lumpy as well.

I'd say what to do with the shading is to make it look like light is radiating from the magic. The armor on our left has a completely different light source than the areas around the magic. Here's a little reference:

dwx3k3.jpg

I also couldn't quite tell it was a hand at first; the fingers are long and pointy and too similar a color to the armor trim, making it look like he has spikes on one cuff. (Which would be cool...)

As for the personal mug, there's a weird chunk missing from the eyebrow on our left, but otherwise it's a pretty solid splice.

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 21, 2010
Well, the armor itself is pillowshaded on the (I assume it's a sage of some type). The general outline is really lumpy as well.

I'd say what to do with the shading is to make it look like light is radiating from the magic. The armor on our left has a completely different light source than the areas around the magic. Here's a little reference:

dwx3k3.jpg

I also couldn't quite tell it was a hand at first; the fingers are long and pointy and too similar a color to the armor trim, making it look like he has spikes on one cuff. (Which would be cool...)

As for the personal mug, there's a weird chunk missing from the eyebrow on our left, but otherwise it's a pretty solid splice.
Gaaaah. You're making me feel like a failure! I know the magic was pillowshaded too. I'll show you my reference. I do see what you mean now, though.

HERE

Oh. I'd never noticed the eyebrow thing... Whoops! lol I made that like a year ago. Same with the armor.

Years
Gaaaah. You're making me feel like a failure!
I'm sorry. D: You're not a bad spriter by any means.

The FE TCG had some neat designs, but the actual art style was pretty bad on the whole, so it's not the best base for pixelovers and such. When you reference something, feel free to change details about it if it looks off. There are things that look fine in one art style that just don't work in a spriting style. It doesn't have to be a near-exact copy. (That's the same idea I was suggesting with the Espeon, too.)

Back