• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Mario TCG (W.i.P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
Years
  • Hey all, haven't been on in a while, mostly because I've been more interested in Mario than Pokemon as of late, hahah. Anyways, I came up with the idea of an online card game using Mario characters and items that anyone could play via forum, or, if they wish, print out and play at home. It's called Super Mario TCG, SMTCG for short. This is what I have so far, but be warned that thiese are serious rough-drafts:

Super Mario TCG (W.i.P)

From top-left in clockwise order:
    -Character Cards: These display one, or more, of the many Marioverse characters. On each card is the following: Name (very top), Type (top right. To be explained below), HP (below name, very left) Defense (beside HP) Speed (beside Defense), Rank (Beside Speed), a picture of the character (center), the series that character is from (beside profile, top box), an icon of the character's ability, if any (below Series box), the character's species (below Ability box), and lastly, the character's attacks. Some characters have more than two attacks, and as such, have that particular area switch between the moves (animated, ofcourse). All icons and such to be explained below.

-Next we have the "back" of a character card. This is really just for show, and isn't final, but could be used in-game.

-Then, there's the Badge cards. These display name (very top), a picture of the badge (center), how much BP it costs to equipt (beside profile. To be explained below) and a description of the badge's effect.

-Below the Badge Card is the Terrain Card, or Field Card. These display name (very top), the series that particular area is from originally (very top right), a picture of the area (center left) and what types, series, or species get a boost or penalty from the terrain (center right)

-Then is the Equiment Card. These display name (very top), an image of the equipment (center), and a description of the equipment's effect (below profile).

-Finally, the Item Card. These display name (very top), a picture of the item (center), and the item's effect (below profile).

Now, to explain some things:

-All character cards are classified by their type, species and series. Every character card has these. Mario, up top, for example, is from the Super Mario Bros. Series, is of the Normal-Type, and is a Human species. The terrain card above, Mushroom Castle, displays the icon for Normal-types, as well as a Mushroom and Turtle. The Mushroom is the icon for the Toad Species (Princess Peach, Toadsworth, Toad) as the Turtle is the icon for the Koopa Species (Bowser, the Koopalings, Koopa Troopa, etc.)

-The game has a total of 17 types. They are:
    -Ungifted: The game's "Normal" type.
    -Fire/Heat
    -Aqua: The game's "Water" type.
    -Organic: The game's "Grass" type.
    -Thunder: The game's "Electric" type.
    -Wind: The game's "Flying" type.
    -Earth: The game's "Ground" type.
    -Ice/Frost
    -Mineral: The game's "Rock" type.
    -Metal: The game's "Steel" type.
    -Magic
    -Psychic/Mind
    -Brawn/Fighting
    -Light
    -Dark/Shadow
    -Ghost
    -Space/Galaxy/Cosmic
    -Venom/Toxic/Poison

Those that have "/" marks still haven't had their names finalized. The only types with icons so far are Ungifted and Fire/Heat, viewable on Mario's card. A type chart is not finished as of yet. However, I am no spriter and would greatly appreciate the help of a spriter with the making of these cards.

-As you can see on Mario's card, he has two attacks: Jump, am Ungifted attack, and Fireball, a Fire/Heat attack. Beside the attacks' names are a symbol of a red figure (Jump) and a symbol of two red figures (Fireball). These figures identify how many targets are hit by Mario's attack. Jump only has one red figure, meaning only one target is hit. Fireball, on the other hand, has two red figures, meaning two targets are hit. Beside the figures is a number. This number shows how much damage the enemy takes from the attack without calculating Defense, type advantage, or stat boosts/reductions.

-Also on Mario's card, as explained above, is an icon displaying an ability. Eventually, all cards will be put into a system (either a shop system on my own forum, or a topic) which displays all extra information that doesn't fit on the card. Since Mario has an icon showing he has an ability, you'd be able to tell what it does by checking at a shop/topic. In Mario's case, his ability is "Mario Bros." and it gives Mario, or any of his upgrades, and Luigi, or any of his upgrades, a boost of 1 Attack and 1 Defense as long as they are on the same team, and both are alive. Now, when a card has its attack boosted, that means all of its damaging moves do regular damage + whatever the boost in Attack was, or penalty. As an example, Mario would do 6 Damage wth Fireball if he and Luigi are on the same team.

-Each character card has a certain amount of HP, displayed by a heart icon above their profile and a number. The basic objective of SMTCG is to KO all of your opponent's character cards. To do this, you attack a character card with one of your character card's displayed moves. You subtract the damage the attack deals from the target card's displayed HP and the outcome is their remaining HP. For example, if I used Jump against Mario, it would do 4 Damage. Mario has 25 HP. Subtract 4 from 25, and you get 21. Mario now has 21 HP remaining. Once his HP reaches 0, Mario is unable to battle and all equipment, stat boosts, and abilities involving him are lost (atleast for him). A card remains KOed, unless through use of a character card's attack or ability, or through use of an Item.

Now, there's a lot more I want to tell you about the game. I haven't even covered FP (Flower Points), Badges, or Equipment, but it's very late and I'm off to bed. Please, leave your thoughts and comments, and if you're a spriter who'd like to help me with my card designs, please, by all means, let me know!

Years
  • Looks and sounds real fun. I'd like how you included equipment to the game,it's like a fun Nintendo form of Yu-Gi-Oh. I'd love to hear more from this particular idea.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Thank you two for the positive responses =) I'm currently working on making more cards, as well as write an entire guide as to how to play the game. Eventually, I'll make a website for the sole purpose of updating new cards as well as to display all the released cards, their data and effects.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2012
    Great Man! If you don't mind I'll be creating some cards, Okay? If you don't mind, then whats the Cosmic type simbol?

Edit: Now I've read that you don't have their type symbols. Ok then.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nice card game, I wish somebody would've thought of making an online Mario card game with its own site before. Where'd you get the idea? Also, unique ideas for equips, terrains, etc. Like what you did with Punch Glove, maybe you could add a Red-Hot Fangs equip (Bowser's Inside Story) that boosts fire moves? And so on for other types of moves? That could make Mario's Fireball attack really devastating!

For the type names, I think I'd go with Fire (for that red type icon near Mario's Fireball), Frost, Mind, Shadow, Cosmic, and Toxic for some of them. Not sure about the rest.

What does Species do? I think it would be interesting if you had a Bowser card that boosted other Koopas, or something.

Oh, I have another idea! What if there was a second defense stat that defended against magical attacks, for example fireballs? Like resistance from Fire Emblem?

Oh, and nice sprites you made / ripped there. I don't know why you say you're no spriter, because they look pretty nice.

btw, since this is a pokemon forum, who's your least favorite boss? I really hate Red, he copies Blue's style of using different types and being a final boss.

Years
  • Gee, that's a really nice tl;dr wall there. Also, I love your username. It reminds me Boo Mansion. You know, that one place from the Mario games. Actually, there's a nice little forum by that name. Their admin has the most original name: Booton. Have you heard of him? He has a similar TCG, but he's a tyrant about the design.
    Hm?

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. You're saying that there's another site that has a Mario trading card game from which you're inspired? One based around boos, apparently? You haven't mentioned this before, interesting. Could you send me a link?

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    i think this is a cool tcg, dont listen to red boo! keep going on it. Im looking forward to more updates! I would love to help if i can!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    King Red Boo, accusing someone of stealing is a very serious accusation - something that should not be done through immaturely trolling their thread. If you're concerned about someone stealing your work - or someone else's work - do the mature thing and report it with evidence to Scarf as soon as possible, instead of causing public problems in their thread. But what I'm mainly concerned about is your trolling, which I would advise you to knock off.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    omg I cant believe you actually stole stuff! i was going to help you out but not now. I looked up that place and i found out that you stole several icons from their TCG!!

you editied their font and you also stole the exact copy of the 8-bit mario looking thing and you also took that little star. just look at my sig!!

Last edited:

SkySage2k9

Skymin Sage / Greeter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2012
    Reminds me of a tcg forum for the Code Lyoko anime. (It appears to be relatively defunct now, though...

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    Wow, Spiky-Eared Pichu. It looks like you got...

:cool:

Caught red-handed.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Years
  • Closing this thread now because it's devolved into throwing accusations and S-E P doesn't want it open anymore either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back