• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Indeterminate

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2021
    Team Indeterminate​

Introduction​

Hello, all. I'm making this team to recruit talent in some areas I lack skill in. I am a software developer in the field, having graduated from university with a technical degree. I have plenty of experience with programming, and have recently made my way into the Decomp & Disassembly section of the forums. I feel that I'm progressing to the point that I may be able to accomplish my goals. However, where I am hitting a wall is in the other departments of creating the game I envision. This would mostly be mapping, as well as sound. Heavy spriting is unnecessary in this project, the only spriting that may be needed is for trainers (no Fakemon in my current vision).

Open Roles and Expected Experience​

Mapper: The mapper role I would prefer to be comfortable with version control using git and GitHub. This will make merging changes easier. Additionally, the mapper should be comfortable with PoryMap, as it is what is being used by the folks in the Decomp & Disassembly forums.

Sound: The sound team member should have an ear for MIDI tracks that may fit into the game. This role would include sourcing material, making sure it can be reproduced in a way that sounds easy on the ears using the m4a's limitations, and so on. This role is very likely more intensive than simply finding MIDIs, as I have found out myself. Applicants might also need light programming experience, if creating new voicegroups is necessary.

Writer: This position may or may not be necessary. I feel that I can do an alright job of writing a story, and already have the basics worked out. I will touch on the story below. However, if you feel that you can meaningfully contribute to the story on a macro or micro scale, then please reach out to me, as it is always nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of in both directions.

Application​

Nothing fancy, just reach out to me and tell me which role you feel you are a fit for, why I should consider you, and how much time you are willing to devote to the project per day/week or whatever other time unit you wish to use.
    You can reach me on here or (preferably) Discord: Nick#8590
    NOTE: Be sure to capitalize the N or else you'll add the wrong person!

Current Team Members​

Just me, so far. I'm working on integrating existing modifications from Decomp & Disassembly as well as adding my own spins. Additionally, I will be doing the scripting. I may have a friend join to help with my work.

Current Progress​

So, as you may gather from the synonym-for-undecided team name, I am not yet comfortable with ascribing a title to my project nor team. I treat titles more as a bow to wrap up a job well done. When we get to the point of releasing an alpha, then perhaps a name can be decided upon.

Current progress is mostly just integrations of current modifications from Decomp & Disassembly. This includes DizzyEgg's works of an updated battle engine, item expansion, and pokemon expansion, to name a few. Of course, in the end I will credit all whose modifications I used. I have links to the relevant posts in my commit history.

As for overall vision of the project, I am hoping to make the base Emerald game into a sort of parody. The feel I am going for is something akin to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Something with a storyline that, if summarized, may sound dark, but in the more mundane gameplay, will have a lot of humor and odd characters. As an example, here is a few tidbits of the writing so far:

The Birch intro starts up, and he explains the bleak landscape that awaits the player. There was some Great Pokemon War, and now Pokemon and humans are enemies to each other. Sudowoodo is leading the Pokemon army, and he calls Birch a pretender tree.

The first gym leader is Sudowoodo's first lieutenant, Scyther. His team consists of Ledian (throwaway third Pokemon), Scyther (as himself), and Scizor, holding a Scizorite. He has a mid-battle message when he gets to his last Pokemon (which I am trying to make be Scizor, but the AI flags are currently not cooperating) in which he references Goku going SSJ3 for the first time, saying "Now you will see what it means to go even further beyond!"

Some notes I have are May being aware of a certain corner of the internet making certain pictures of her, and her owning up to it and saying she's starting an OnlyFans. This would be where a writer may be necessary, as I'm not sure how a joke of this nature will be perceived (is it politically correct? should I care?)

For individual modifications I have made to the base game, I removed the ability to use SHIFT battle style, removed the ability to use any items other than Poke Balls in battle, implemented a Soft Level Cap, and generally pumped the difficulty up. However, to balance this, I am also planning to make every trainer in the game have no items. I may go back on this, and allow the boss battles to have a couple of battle items to use, but right now, I am going for a Dark Souls vibe - difficult, but fair.

That's all from me for right now. Any response is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Back