• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading Card Game style pixel-arts

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Hi !

Around last year, looking at resources from Trading Card Game (on GBC) and from its sequel, I was thinking : "Hey, the Internet lacks an awful lot of resources from those games !", so I ripped several thingies from TCG1 & 2 in every possible language, including the english hackrom of TCG2. I also made some french booster packs translations, because why not. It's on The Spriters Resource.
    At the same time, I compiled (well this time from the Internet, as it was available) every single sprite of card from both games. It's interesting to note that TCG2 cards allow more colors than TCG1 ones - more details about this later in this post.

Next thing I did was to take some TCG2 sprites and devamp them to give a TCG1 look.

D43B.png
    D48B.png
    D50B.png
    D54B.png
    E08B.png
    E09B.png
    E10B.png
    E11B.png
    001CA.png
    006CA.png
    026GA.png
    027CA.png
    029CA.png
    032CA.png
    040CA.png
    041DA.png
    044CA.png
    055CA.png
    060CA.png
    061CA.png
    063CA.png
    077DA.png
    081FA.png
    086CA.png
    094DA.png
    097CA.png
    107D.png
    115DA.png
    123CA.png
    124G.png
    131CA.png
    138DA.png
    147CA.png
    149FA.png
    150JA.png
    183AA.png
    249B.png

(Yep, I did a better job at censoring Jynx than Nintendo in the eshop version of TCG)

Finally, I found an easy way to make pixel-arts à la TCG from almost whatever I wanted. So, here you go :

037D.png
    109E.png
    132C.png
    151S.png
    196A.png
    197A.png
    240A.png
    385A.png
    385B.png
    692A.png
    D55.png

I also colored this last one originally made in black and white by a friend :
    560A.png

There are of course some things to know before doing that sort of pixel-art. We don't want to do GBA stuff, do we ?
    First thing first, a TCG pixel-art must be 64x48 px, and have a 1 pixel border. The card's subject also often have a 1px border as well : This way it has better visibility.
    Secondly, every color must have multiples of 8 as RVB values. For example, 8/56/192. Well if you start with wrong colors, that can easily be corrected !
    TCG1 arts don't allow more than one pallet of four colors at once.
    TCG2 arts aren't that easy : You have to divide your picture in squares of 8x8 pixels. Each square may use a different pallet, but you only have a maximum of three pallets per card.

If you want to mess up with booster packs, know that their format is 64x96 px. The 8x8 squares limitation also apply here, and the number of useable pallets is 6, for TCG1 and for TCG2.

I'm holding a referencement page (here !) with every possible TCG pixel-art : That includes official ones, mines, even yours if you want ! I'm aiming to do a complete set of Pokemon from every possible generation, but I'm pretty sure I'll can't do that alone. Please feel free to share whatever you'd like to in this spirit. Of course, I'll make sure every participant get the credit they deserve (:

Alternatively you can also enjoy pictures already existing !

Aaaaand that's all for me I guess. I'll make sure to post future pixel-arts here from time to time as well !

Last edited:
    Back