• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Using a JoyCon as an Art Assistant

Years
(am I making a post just for showing off my own mapping cheat sheet, maybe)

So, for awhile there's been specialty devices that you can use to program buttons on them, but they're just sorta ok, not well known, or expensive. Plus, they may not be designed to be very fun to use or hold, just to get the job done. Now, what's always been made to be held in your hand is a game controller! Sure you've been able to bluetooth them and program them for awhile, but holding half a controller in your hand while trying to draw the other is kinda weird! However, now that half controller such as the Joy Con exist, you can hold it in one hand just fine and reach a plethora of buttons!

What I'm most interested in is uses for art! Especially when you drawing with your surface in from on you, having you keyboard situated to the side for shortcuts can be pretty aggravating and not natural, so since the day after the switch came out, I have a pair of JoyCons exclusively for testing out all these shortcuts and it's been really great drawing with it. Using the program JoyToKey, you can program a lot of different ways such as long or short presses, in a sequence, etc. You can make the 15 basic buttons on the joy con stretch pretty far!

So, here is my current layout for Clip Paint Studio. I can switch between brushes, color picking, filling with color, selecting things, transforming them, rotating the canvas, duplicating items exactly, and erasing it with a big old' marker and zoom in real close. I'm still playing with all the things I can do, and remember what to do with my less used keys, but seeing as you can buy just one joycon to match your handedness to make an extremely personalized hotkey device to get into your work flow, I find it very interesting!!!

rg9Ahrm.png

Back