• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What did you think of Ghetsis' speech?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
When you reach Accumula Town, only the second city in the game, there's a crowd gathered in the center listening to a speech from Team Plasma's leader, Ghetsis. It is also worth mentioning that this is the earliest in any main series Pokemon game that the head of the evil organization is seen. How did you feel about what he was saying? Did you agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think I remember seeing art for him before the games. So I kind of assumed he was bad. The music didn't help with convincing me he was good... However! I thought it was a really cool message. The fact that he wanted people to free Pokémon was a cool idea though. I didn't know the plot but I definitely thought it would be interesting based around that idea. I'd have loved if more people converted early on though and random people would tell me to free my Pokémon... To feel like he actually had a real life influence rather than just one speech.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Being asked to think about something so thought-provoking so early on in the game can only mean good things are to come! It's hard to even know if I agree or disagree with the general message behind his speech--well, of course I disagree because it's Ghetsis and I know he has ulterior motives. But the general idea behind the speech, that of Pokémon having untapped potential that can only be reached if they are freed from human control--this is meant to be a question that there's no right or wrong answer to.

Team Plasma's new leader in B2W2 even disagrees with the sentiment! But in the very same game, it's disclosed by a Plasma Grunt that Pokémon don't have much of a choice when it comes to obeying whoever is in possession of their Poké Ball.

I think, like the main theme of the games themselves, Pokémon and people working together in a way that benefits them both rather than just benefiting one, helps both parties reach their full potential. It's the gray area in-between that works best in this case.

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
Years
I played after I saw a little spoiler(and I played white2 first), so I knew he was bad, but I believed it's worth think about it. But I heard a kind of "Doesn't Pokemon flee from trainer whenever don't want" question in a city(maybe Opelucid), I thought it makes sense too.

Let's think Pokemons are like pets, e.g. dog or cat. Should we free the dogs or cats for them? No, that's quite risky for them. But many train dogs for humans. It's not bad... Well, through battle, Pokemons can hurt.. but in the Pokemon world, it's incredibly easy to heal than real world after fighting, and it's all free. So.. I'm confused. I don't know exactly way to live in the Pokemon world. But according to N, Pokemons are happy on the battle, so maybe I should believe it. It's really complicated question. Phew. Whatever, it's not the real world.

Another subject is full potential without human. The answer is definitely nope. That's why education exists.

Back