• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your Icon style/method?

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    When you make icons, do you often do a similar method each time? I think that everyone has their own way of approaching making icons. And it tells a little something about the artist and how they deal with their work.

For me, I start by selecting my stock, then by sharpening, dodging and burning, I work on making it the best quality possible. From there I start with some blurring and again, more sharpening, to bring out my focal points. And then, lastly, it's all about colour baby. Depending on my icon, I usually have a set style though, if you look through my icons, I generally work with my contrasted dark style, which I do less, and it also takes more work, then my other style which works best with a lot of colours and contrast, where by I simply pop reds, purples and obscure colours like that, you can refer to my signature for that style!

So, what ways do you guys approach icons? Do you have a particular style?

I don't like the idea of an icon style. It all seems to confining to me. One of the great things about icons to me is that I can create and interchange them to fit my mood, my resources at the time or what 'style' looks best. I might be odd in that way, but I can spam a certain style over and over in my tags but I refuse to do so in icons.

(then again the icons I make never see the light of day on the internet)

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    Color is really important for me, but the stock is probably number one when making an icon for me. Having a good stock is all about the options that you have. Once I've found something that I think I can work with, I start with making multiple versions of the same image cropped in different ways. I will do about 5 to 7 of these depending on the image. I choose my favorite out of all of those, and then I will work on coloring the icon (whether that would be using transparent textures or just manual coloring it and then setting an overlay). From then I will add more textures if I see fit and then finally add the text and sharpen as needed.

Back