• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Which one should I use? (Essentials or pokeemerald)

Torterra18

Base PP Gifter
Days
  • I don't know where to post it here, but I wanted to do a Pokémon Fangame/Romhack, but I have a problem trying to choose where should I work, it seems that Essentials is easier to understand and work on, but it requires a paid software to work with, and it doesn't have as much content built in, having to be downloaded separately, and git isn't used there as much as the other option here, but then there's pokeemerald, which seems more fun to work with, has the expansion which brings a lot of extra content, there's a lot of code which can be easily added with git, but requires more knowledge of C, and if you wanna work on windows, your OS needs to be of 64 bits because the stuff needed for compile now requires to be on 64 OSes, and I have access to a laptop with Ubuntu, except that it's shared and there was some conflict goin' on, I don't know which one should I use, so it would be nice if I could get some advice for choosing which one...

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2023
    I believe that in the end it really just depends on preference. Personally, I found the Pokeemerald to be quite easy to use if you just want to edit stats and the like, but there are certain limitations that you may face running on the GameBoy (for instance, I believe you can only have so many gym trainers). However, Essentials, on the other hand, has a far easier interface and, I believe, fewer limitations, but I found the language to be harder to figure out for more advanced things. Overall, I think Essentials might be a good starting place if you've never done this before. And, yes, while it does require paid software, it can be fairly cheap (I believe I picked it up for about $3). Either way, there are a lot of content for either that can be added and it's going to require work to get them installed.

If you chose the Essentials path, this is a good playlist on YouTube: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuIp7Uf7pllmpcFOHbj4r8cVQYywpRZB5
    I haven't check this out, but there is also this playlist on YouTube for Pokeemerald: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLNv9Lq6kDmTIYfN5NvgQRvfOHTOXl0uU

Hope that helps

Back