• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
Years
  • I didn't discontinue Sunlight, just to let everyone know, I just took a little break and I'm not feeling well, hopefully I'll still be able to finish my next three chapters..or many start a new fan-fic..

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • @ Falling White

*feels so dumb after re-reading chapter 1 so many times yet still can't figure out the setting within chapter 1 ;_;*

Most of these are diction recommandations and minor things... I'll admit that I can never write so well myself, well enough to be knowledgable about these kind of things in my own story, but then, it's a lot easier to find mistakes when you're looking for mistakes from a piece of work that you didn't write yourself.

Not to mention, I had to be extra keen in order to pick up most of these "mistakes" anyway... I just feel so wrong without saying something to improve upon in a fanfic review ;p

-"christened" doesn't fit with "mischievous" regarding the same character (diction contradiction)

-now with the "But the white scares me" line, it's a little awkward after she joked about the white (even though the giggle was a mindless one). Also it's quite a chance of tone. In my personal opinion, it'll work better if it's "but the white... it's scary." This way it keeps the uncertainty feeling again, and it's enough to carry the point across. Take out the following "It scares me a lot" as it also sounds awkward, not something Hikari is likely to say. (diction problems)

-change "were those men gone?" to "did the men leave?" Sounds like the same thing but "were those men gone?" sounds like she purposely acted this way because she wanted them to leave, while "did the men leave?" doesn't have such a suggestion of it. Keep the innocent mood! (diction problem)

-"grinning" once again, is awkward for Hikari to do. Once again it suggests as if she purposely wanted them to go away.

-now white is a noun, but whiteness is the word you're looking for in most of the sentences within the fanfic. I don't know how to explain when to use which one while their apparent meaning is exactly the same, and both being nouns too. But... it's whiteness. You used both in the fanfic, but there are quite a few more occassions where whiteness should be used instead. (super minor diction problem)

-when Hikari "escaped" from the whiteness, a weird smile doesn't really suggest curiosity, which I am 100% sure that curiosity is what the girl should be feeling right now (very minor problem)

-the giggle from Hikari when she was skipping around was kinda awkward... wasn't really explained why she's doing so (diction problems)

-the questioning of doors was flawed, as in chapter 1 and earlier part of chapter 2, Hikari didn't have any problems with understanding the concept of doors... should have pushed this earlier in the chapter or even story

-"hands desperately trying to regain that force so she may push it" contradicts " Hikari did this easily" in the next paragraph (diction problems)

-"I don't want to see you anymore" sounds better than the original "I do not wish to see you anymore" as it sounds too grown up and somewhat knowledgable, not like the usual "typical young girl tone" that Hikari got

-"She didn?t know who she was anymore" take out "anymore" as she really never knew from the start

-"and tranquility is restored" should be its own paragraph due to its significance

Whew that took a long while... but it deserves the attention.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • I feel like hugging you. :O! And so I shall.

*hugs frost*

Hm, yes the chapter was confusing to me to. Half the time I tried putting the thigns right where it belonged, yet it was quite perplexing to type it out. Hikari's personality is very...virtuous and um...bewildering to all. She's meant to be..um..how am I suposed to explain? You have to see from how she takes in everything. >_>; Like uh...

*coughs*

You could say, sanity has left her.

The dictions helped me. ><; I...really didn't have the correct amount of sense to really type them out properly. I like giving stories these...'poetic' sense if you could call it that, although half the time, I make mistakes.

*shuffles away embarassed*

Anyway; thanx a bunch for the review. ^_^!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Hmm... Hikari seriously felt like a newborn child to me. O.o; as good as a newborn let's say, even though she most likely isn't a little baby. All the confusing writing style suits her supposedly confused state of mind, so for me it's ok as it's definitely not confusing enough to get out of readability.

I personally find her quite sane though O.o;;

Awww no need to be embarrassed! Diction is one of the "higher level" of writing, and it's only normal to make mistakes about such a thing! Now perhaps the fact that most 12 year olds don't even know what's diction will make you feel better? ;p

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • XD! Oh, very much. Dictions confuse me though, I really never got the hang of it. If you find her sane...then...I must've made a mistake of some sort in my writing. o.O;; I try to make the writing a bit eloquent and bewildering in terms, but it's rather hard to specifically describe it. Still working on it though. Your review DID help a LOT I msut say. ^.^

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Well... now that you mentioned it, I'll see if I can whip up a quick general diction guide within this week... yeah.

Well Hikari is definitely not "normal" or "ordinary" but still "sane." Sane and normal are different. If someone's insane, then their way of thinking/feelings should be beyond understandable to anyone. However, I can tell that she's confused. I can tell that she's curious about new things. So she's still sane... It's not like she's suddenly acting the two extremes for no reason.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • (sorry but going to double post, because my previous post is rather completely unrelated to reviews you know? Plus I'll need the space XD)

@ The Road to Palantria

-now why would your neighbours complain about your music if according to the setting earlier, houses are an acre apart from each other?

-I'm personally not so thrilled with such a long chapter with absolutely nothing but character description, and further bored if there's 3 consecutive chapter of absolutely nothing but character description of the same character. Not that having so much character description is bad as you can never have too much of it, but I definitely recommand you to rework the whereabouts of those paragraphs so that they come in different places. Notice how the battle scenes at the end of ch.2 got all action and no description, while ch.1 got no action and all description. You can insert part of the description from chapter 1 into the battle scene to blend the description a little bit.

-and the above also talks of a bit of lagging issues... though I personally didn't get bored, I'm sure that somebody out there got hypnotized and fell asleep at the length of the first chapter and the lack of action in it

-I actually CANNOT find grammar mistakes O_o;

-now generally the diction is quite ok as it's very consistent regarding the tone of voice, but then no one can be perfect with diction, yet I'm too lazy to flip through the whole thing just to check diction... blah

-nothing other negative to comment on (so good for you as I already ran out of bad stuff to say evne though usually I can find 10 for every fanfic XD). On the other hand, a good reason for that is because the plot hardly advanced so far, and that I can never comment on character description as being "wrong" or a "mistake" unless it contradicts or something (this means that the whole chapter 1 is pretty much forced-flawless)

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    (sorry but going to double post, because my previous post is rather completely unrelated to reviews you know? Plus I'll need the space XD)

@ The Road to Palantria

-now why would your neighbours complain about your music if according to the setting earlier, houses are an acre apart from each other?

-I'm personally not so thrilled with such a long chapter with absolutely nothing but character description, and further bored if there's 3 consecutive chapter of absolutely nothing but character description of the same character. Not that having so much character description is bad as you can never have too much of it, but I definitely recommand you to rework the whereabouts of those paragraphs so that they come in different places. Notice how the battle scenes at the end of ch.2 got all action and no description, while ch.1 got no action and all description. You can insert part of the description from chapter 1 into the battle scene to blend the description a little bit.

-and the above also talks of a bit of lagging issues... though I personally didn't get bored, I'm sure that somebody out there got hypnotized and fell asleep at the length of the first chapter and the lack of action in it

-I actually CANNOT find grammar mistakes O_o;

-now generally the diction is quite ok as it's very consistent regarding the tone of voice, but then no one can be perfect with diction, yet I'm too lazy to flip through the whole thing just to check diction... blah

-nothing other negative to comment on (so good for you as I already ran out of bad stuff to say evne though usually I can find 10 for every fanfic XD). On the other hand, a good reason for that is because the plot hardly advanced so far, and that I can never comment on character description as being "wrong" or a "mistake" unless it contradicts or something (this means that the whole chapter 1 is pretty much forced-flawless)

Hmm, actually I've never had a review point that out before on SSP or PE2K. To say the least, I'm glad you pointed that out. Yet, there is a reason why its like that, and I'm hoping you can see what I mean.

In a sense, the first chapters are mostly exposition, and I usually set aside the beginning chapter for describing what the main characters look like, as well as the surroundings. Often, early battles leave readers confused as to what is actually happening. I've seen it done in movies before, and the viewer often has no clue as to who the characters are and why they are fighting. I've seen the Matrix start off with Trinity escaping from the agents and the beginning of Gangs of New York, and in both movies, I had no clue as to what was going on the first time I saw it. I've seen the same thing done in stories, and its even worse when you can't see what's going on. Sure, you pull the reader in by having a battle, but the cost is potentially leaving the reader in wonder about what happened and who was involved, forcing the reader to have to read (or see) that same part over again. I'd rather not have that happen. I had to watch the Matrix at least three times to fully understand what was going on, something I'd rather not force my readers to do.

On the other hand, you're probably wondering why Chapter 2 had more action yet less description. The reason is that during a point that has action, I want the story to keep moving at a continous pace, almost like in real time rather than stopping and slowing down the pace of the story to put a very descriptive paragraph about what an attack looks like. Usually, I'll just describe how it happened, what it looks like, and the effect that it has, and usually not much else just to keep the story going. Usually, attacks are very fast. Even a character in the story wouldn't have enough time to really sit down and tell word for word what every attack looked like to the finest detail. Everything is happening too fast, and I feel the story should at least attempt to try and match the pace of what is happening as if it was real life.

Anyway, I thank you for leaving a solid and constructive review of my story. I'll keep in mind to leave character descriptions apart for each other to keep the story moving along rather than stopping to go over each of the characters involved. Other than that, I hope you see why I did it in that particular way, but nonetheless, I did get a different picture on how my story is seen from another person's standpoint, and that will help the next time I start a story.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I seriously never minded "mystery character" leading off into action. As long as it's quickly caught up in the character description department, I don't really mind. I mean part of the mystery IS "just who are they and why are the doing such and such?" It's not so mysterious anymore if all characters are described and explained before anything happens. Most of my own stories lead off with unknown characters too... But then again, this fanfic isn't so focused on mystery...

And never compare your own writing with Matrix (or at least Matrix the first one), as it's deep enough that you won't know every little bit after watching it 12 times. Most likely, watching it 20 times with a bible professor right beside you, then perhaps you'll get half of what's going on and all the allusions to various famous tales.

Greatest problem is still the possible lagging... definition of "lag" varies from people to people. I found this as still ok, but I'm very sure that a lot of others will be bored half way and quit reading due to the lack of action in chapter 1.

Well, we'll see how this story turns out by the next update ^^

Last edited:

TTYO

Old Timer
    Years
  • I wonder what will happen if Groudon faces off with Godzilla. Groudon is 10 metres shorter than his plutonium-addicted foe

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • @ Pokemon Beyond Special Edition

-LENGTH... huge problem

-the prologue is very rushed... so much is happening while so little transition and explanation are given... part of it feels like a plot summary more than prologue

-somethings are perhaps best left unattended in prologues, such as mentioning the legendaries and so on

-description lacking...

@ The Road to Palantria ch.3

-now this time there's repetition which is quite annoying as it adds unnecessary length to an already long chapter. There are even word-for-word repetition sometimes, right after one another.

-Chris and crew are rather acting unexceptionally calm when they finally know about the destructive nature of the Khans... really they're way too calm...

-hmm... now this one I can't tell if it's intended or not. Chris said that they are pretty firm on the idea of joining Emerald Alliance, yet his crew doesn't sound like it at all, and Jocasta was able to detect that. Rather strange and funny when reading that...

-not really a fault, but I suggest some conversations between the group on the way to Ranhasna, in order to explore what the others are thinking regarding all of the war with the Khans and everything along with it... right now that part is just boring because it's a filler scene (like those boring Jhoto episodes for Pokemon Anime)... best to make some use of it to reduce the number of filler scenes as much as possible.

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    @ The Road to Palantria ch.3

-now this time there's repetition which is quite annoying as it adds unnecessary length to an already long chapter. There are even word-for-word repetition sometimes, right after one another.

-Chris and crew are rather acting unexceptionally calm when they finally know about the destructive nature of the Khans... really they're way too calm...

-hmm... now this one I can't tell if it's intended or not. Chris said that they are pretty firm on the idea of joining Emerald Alliance, yet his crew doesn't sound like it at all, and Jocasta was able to detect that. Rather strange and funny when reading that...

-not really a fault, but I suggest some conversations between the group on the way to Ranhasna, in order to explore what the others are thinking regarding all of the war with the Khans and everything along with it... right now that part is just boring because it's a filler scene (like those boring Jhoto episodes for Pokemon Anime)... best to make some use of it to reduce the number of filler scenes as much as possible.

Meh, I'm hoping you'll think it gets better as it goes on. Even though I've already written up to chapter 10, I'll definitely try to keep in mind what you said from that point on. Honestly, I'm glad you've pointed this out where others haven't, since for the longest time I've been wondering if there was anything wrong with it. It wouldn't be erroneous to say some of my weaknesses involve trying to get an interesting foundation going at the beginning of the story especially when my plans really get into the thick of it later on. And I've often been told I do a lot better toward the middle and end.

Anyway, thank you for your reviews, frostweaver. No doubt that they've definitely helped me look over at what I've written, and I have seen there are things that can be done to improve it after what you've mentioned.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I never said that it's bad, as I definitely think that it's good, but it's just that I'm very sure that others will be intimidated by the length yet lack of physical action. Generally that's how people think in a work.

Also forgot to point out something last time, but relic collecting is a very unoriginal concept as it's everywhere (rechanging from keys to crystals). It's not a bad thing, but just keep in mind that the process of collecting them isn't some exact replicate of another fanfic involving with collecting relics. It's quite easy to accidentially "bump" into another fanfic like that...

And yes I know that you got a few chapters done already... how else can you update something so long and so fast? ;p

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • For Falling White chapter 3...I HAVE WRITER'S BLOCK!!!oneoneoneone111!!!111911!!! ><;

Curse it. I'm so jinxed with fanfics. I'm trying to write so well...;-; Yet I guess I forced myself to type so it just...halted. The whole plotline. Any advices?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Umm... how's that writer's block? It's just a few days after the previous chapter.

You haven't seen a true writer's block yet... if J CAE meets up with one, it's 3 weeks before I get another update from her. Few days is nothing... plus average fanfic is updated once every 1 to 2 weeks anyway. As long as it's within this range, I really don't classify it as writer's block.

Reading other fanfic will help... copy this idea, merge it with this, and mix in a bit of that, and the what seemed to be a lump of different ideas will turn out to be something sometimes.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Ooh, I um...started on the chapters before I posted them. <_<; >_>; Otherwise, if 1-2 weeks will be alright, it's safe. :) I just well...I'll try that thanks.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I really can't give ideas on what to do LilyPichu... sorry. Because if I do, then I'm writing part of the story, aren't I? So... afraid that you're on your own. But if you're in need of my assistance, you can always PM me.

@ Vaporeon Dreams

-rushed... it can be a lot longer... this is probably the biggest problem

-a bit lacking in description, especially the battle scene... you can dwell on Aurora's feelings for a much longer time, explaining what she's feeling in greater detail

-once again the bad guys are always overlooked, and the Mightyenas (why are they always the bad guys in every fanfic anyway?) are clay dogs that can't use any attack... can easily change that into Mightyenas using a few attacks before they crumble to dust

-err... hope MSWord gets fixed REAL soon

You can always add details to EVERYTHING, including the attacks, surroundings, and to the emotions of the characters and so on...

@ Call of Dragons

-most problematic is probably tense problem... sometimes it's present, and sometimes past... what the?

-the last line by Nina in post #1 of the chapter is very awkward to the point of confusing... it sounds like she got no friends before, yet that's supposedly not the case...

-Dennis and Vincent are both semi-OOC in the Nina History Sequence... Vincent pretty much stole Dennis's lines being the one who lusted for battle, and Dennis suddenly became shy-guy?

-all the jealousy part in the earlier part of the chapters can be reworked better... that part is also slightly rushed.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back