PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Newsletter!

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I was over at Scribblers Abode, a Sims 2 Forum that I used to hang out at, and one thing that I've always liked about SA is the monthly newsletter. They have a team of members, kind of like a news team, that work on a monthly newsletter... secretly, in a password protected forum section.

I thought, maybe with a bit of determination and well thought out ideas, we could have something of the like here at PC. Now, I know some of are going to be like; "No that's a terrible idea!", "I like it, but it would be too much work." or "What's a newsletter?"

I don't mind all the flame of coming up with this idea, but I'm just saying that it would be nice to be able to read/view a newsletter created by our fellow members. Don't let me make the decision for you... now, DISCUSS!

Ausaudriel
January 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
But.. what would the newsletter include? o.o;

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
But.. what would the newsletter include? o.o;

lol, I knew I'd forgotten something.

Over at SA they've got things like; Member Interviews, Member of the Month (yes I know we've got one already, but it could be implemented into the newsletter), Games, RP of the Month and Competitions.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, go and check out the newletters at SA. HERE! (http://ryleerider.proboards47.com/index.cgi)

.Seth
January 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well, we could include the RHN (Rom-Hacking Newsletter) and maybe some other Announcements about PC. Like, new forum styles...new forums...other stuff.

Just throwin' in some ideas.

GKS
January 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
That's actually a really good idea, it could contain a vast majority of things, such as new features of the site, upcoming events, promotions, site details, moderation, new rules, etc.

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
That's actually a really good idea, it could contain a vast majority of things, such as new features of the site, upcoming events, promotions, site details, moderation, new rules, etc.

Thank you. =)

I also think it could be used to bring the members of PC together, because we'd need a vast amount of people from all corners of the forum to contribute.

Eon-Rider
January 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Sounds like fail to me. This has been suggested a multitude amount of times and it's never gone ahead. I don't actually see anyone who would be willing to do it.

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds like fail to me. This has been suggested a multitude amount of times and it's never gone ahead. I don't actually see anyone who would be willing to do it.

Well, you're right. We would need a lot of dedicated members for this to work, but it wouldn't have to be restricted to mods and admins... any members could contribute if they wanted to.
I guess if no-one wanted to do it, but they still wanted to see it get done... then they would be the ones that would fail.

Spinor
January 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I have enough time in my hands to run this,

but because I'm lazy and I am starting to work on a fanfic, I will just post my opinion for now.

This idea is good. This idea was never considered by admins. This idea never made it.

Thus, this idea is not a good idea.

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have enough time in my hands to run this,

but because I'm lazy and I am starting to work on a fanfic, I will just post my opinion for now.

This idea is good. This idea was never considered by admins. This idea never made it.

Thus, this idea is not a good idea.

Are you saying that, because this idea wasn't considered by admins, it isn't a good idea? That's like saying admins aren't human, they may not have even thought about making a newsletter. If the idea had crossed their minds and they had a debate about how it "isn't a good idea", then maybe I'd be feel a little different about your answer.

BUT! Until an admin comes in here and says that they thought about this, coming to the conclusion that it isn't a good idea. Then I'm not going to change my mind...

Astinus
January 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
We have to actually be a member of the board to actually see the newsletter. Otherwise, we get the "Access Denied" screen.

Besides, what would the newsletter have that isn't already done on the forums? Announcements for new skins, forums, and anything else added to the forum are already displayed in the Announcement forum. People stay on top of promotions because of the celebrations forum, and people just keep an eye on changes in the staff. (The upper staff even make the celebration threads so that people know.) The competitions and "of the year/month" are in their respective sections.

And how would this newsletter be distributed? By having a separate forum for a newsletter telling us about the news of the forum when there's the announcement forum?

I'm just not really seeing the point to this. But that's just me.

But as Eon-Rider said, this has been suggested a lot of times by various people, and no one gets it off the ground. I personally don't see any point to this, but hey, if anyone actually does something with it, then the more power to them.

That's like saying admins aren't human
Ssssshhhhh...

Eon-Rider
January 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
And how would this newsletter be distributed? By having a separate forum for a newsletter telling us about the news of the forum when there's the announcement forum?

I'd imagine it to be via email just like all newsletters. -.-"

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM
We have to actually be a member of the board to actually see the newsletter. Otherwise, we get the "Access Denied" screen.

Besides, what would the newsletter have that isn't already done on the forums? Announcements for new skins, forums, and anything else added to the forum are already displayed in the Announcement forum. People stay on top of promotions because of the celebrations forum, and people just keep an eye on changes in the staff. (The upper staff even make the celebration threads so that people know.) The competitions and "of the year/month" are in their respective sections.

I'm just not really seeing the point to this. But that's just me.

But as Eon-Rider said, this has been suggested a lot of times by various people, and no one gets it off the ground. I personally don't see any point to this, but hey, if anyone actually does something with it, then the more power to them.

I see where you're coming from, but the newsletter isn't supposed to be this great big thing that makes all other forums insignificant. It's just supposed to be somthing done for fun and to give our members a little insight into other people they don't know, as well as forums they don't visit.

EDIT: Eon Rider, they could make a subsection in the announcement section and give each issue their own thread.
I'm also getting the feeling that you all are thinking that it will just be a wall of text, take a look at the SA forums (which is linked further up the thread) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Spinor
January 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Yargh! Me Poop Deck no falling for that advertisement trick! :pirate:

Trust me. I've seen this idea MANY times and it has always failed. Just try to get it. It's never been approved and it may never be approved. Just like the complains about the slogan XD. Those always crack me up.

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Yargh! Me Poop Deck no falling for that advertisement trick! :pirate:

Trust me. I've seen this idea MANY times and it has always failed. Just try to get it. It's never been approved and it may never be approved. Just like the complains about the slogan XD. Those always crack me up.

Advertisment trick?

I guess I may as well give up on the idea, it's just... PC feels like it has come to a stop. Not moving forward with new ideas... just sitting still. *shrugs*

Dukey
January 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
This isn't a bad idea. And I'm not flaming this or anything here, but how are we distributing this? PM, e-mail, or is it just going to have a little sub forum somewhere?

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM
This isn't a bad idea. And I'm not flaming this or anything here, but how are we distributing this? PM, e-mail, or is it just going to have a little sub forum somewhere?

I think it would work best as a sub forum, like they've got at SA.

Eon-Rider
January 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
If it does become a subforum I don't see how it would even count as a newsletter.

Swift!
January 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
If it does become a subforum I don't see how it would even count as a newsletter.

Well, seeing as no-one feels like going to SA to see why it's called a newsletter, I guess I'll have to explain it. The newletter is made up of images, which act as pages (like in a magazine). Each one has a specific subject and that entire page is dedicated to said subject; with writing, pictures and whatever else making that page look... "fancy".

So, it's more of a magazine than a newsletter...

Sublime
January 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Even with all the pessimism about it not being able to get off the ground, I would personally love a newsletter. Heck, I'd be willing to participate in the making of it!

I don't have the time to scroll around every bit of PC to get the newest info. So a newsletter would be pretty handy IMHO.

Noah Ridgewood
January 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Well, seeing as no-one feels like going to SA to see why it's called a newsletter, I guess I'll have to explain it. The newletter is made up of images, which act as pages (like in a magazine). Each one has a specific subject and that entire page is dedicated to said subject; with writing, pictures and whatever else making that page look... "fancy".

So, it's more of a magazine than a newsletter...

Scribblers Abode.... PokéCommunity?
Scribblers Abode.... PokéCommunity!

Nope. I don't see anything remotely relative towards these two communities. I'm confused why you would ask us to go to Scribblers Abode just to find out what a newsletter is or how they manage it. Creating a sub-forum specifically for newsletters would be pointless to say the least.

With that said:

A newsletter is a regularly distributed publication generally about one main topic that is of interest to its subscribers.Scibblers Abode, being a former member there, is specifically for writing and Sims. Since it only has two main topics, a newsletter seems appropriate to have. PokéCommunity, although based on Pokémon, has far much more to offer than just two general subjects since it's separated into so many branches of both on topic and off topic discussion from the prime focus of the community. With that said, a newsletter has absolutely no relevance to anything.

Want to read something? Read something in the writing related boards.
Want to see a gorgeous graphic or picture? Go to the art related boards.

You know what I mean? Since there's such a vast amount of subjects to discuss, a newsletter just seems a bit much. If it were something that would work, we would already have one out.

Rukario
January 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
PC did have a REAL newsletter that we emailed to all members every so often.. had the latest news from around the Poke world and latest posts, info and what not.

It had it's own custom page design (and was available online as well for those with html challenged email clients)

It COULD be brought back with a dedicated staff or ??

SkyPioneer
January 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I don't favour this idea because the news letter may go ahead, but who'd read it?
Now, you optimistic types might go ahead with things such as "Everyone will read it" or "I'd read it" or "We can promote it" but really, do either of those statements/ideas really work?
Just me.

Mitchman
January 6th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Oh i one of the people in favor of this. Seriosuly with proper staff and everything we could have a really cool thing happening. I would love to help with it and see it happen. Ok so this isnt exactly only pokemon but we could always have a multitude of newsletters like the main general pokemon one or one to apitite other stuff such as video games music and movies. Sounds good no? I want one btw.
What the hell people besides pokemon this forum does have people who dont take part in such things and do take part in music movies and other video games. So why cant we appeal to both groups with 2 seperate newsletters? Read clearer next time.

Angela
January 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM

I would be willing to make a news paper.

I was over at Scribblers Abode, a Sims 2 Forum that I used to hang out at, and one thing that I've always liked about SA is the monthly newsletter. They have a team of members, kind of like a news team, that work on a monthly newsletter... secretly, in a password protected forum section.

I thought, maybe with a bit of determination and well thought out ideas, we could have something of the like here at PC. Now, I know some of are going to be like; "No that's a terrible idea!", "I like it, but it would be too much work." or "What's a newsletter?"

I don't mind all the flame of coming up with this idea, but I'm just saying that it would be nice to be able to read/view a newsletter created by our fellow members. Don't let me make the decision for you... now, DISCUSS!
I like this idea, like I said when I saw this idea from another person "Barely a month ago" I like it and would be willing to help with it.

PC did have a REAL newsletter that we emailed to all members every so often.. had the latest news from around the Poke world and latest posts, info and what not.

It had it's own custom page design (and was available online as well for those with html challenged email clients)

It COULD be brought back with a dedicated staff or ??
So your saying it's staff only?

Because I would like to work on a news letter "If this idea goes any further then this thread, but we all know it will go further then this thread, because someone will suggest it again next month"

Sweet Speed
January 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I would love to help and/or make the newletter. I'm sure in the weekends I would have free time to write some articles.

Suggestions

-An Interview with the MOTM
-Info on new Pokemon Releases
-Info about new themes and such
-Talk with all the winners of HOTW in the month
-New things to come to Pokecommunity

More things probably would be included.

Angela
January 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I would love to help and/or make the newletter. I'm sure in the weekends I would have free time to write some articles.

Suggestions

-An Interview with the MOTM
-Info on new Pokemon Releases
-Info about new themes and such
-Talk with all the winners of HOTW in the month
-New things to come to Pokecommunity

More things probably would be included.
There you have it, 2 members that are willing to help:D, me and Sweet, (I didn't really put much effort into reading the long posts in the front, so if anyone implied they wanted to help then sorry).

EDIT:
Suggestion:
We could also interview the winners of other categories of member of the month, like the one who won in most categories and so on, and if someone was winning something for the first time, then they could be interviewed.

Sweet Speed
January 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
There you have it, 2 members that are willing to help:D, me and Sweet, (I didn't really put much effort into reading the long posts in the front, so if anyone implied they wanted to help then sorry).

EDIT:
Suggestion:
We could also interview the winners of other categories of member of the month, like the one who won in most categories and so on, and if someone was winning something for the first time, then they could be interviewed.
I agree, all this will make a fun based community newsletter for everyone to read and enjoy.

Josephine
January 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I think the newsletter is a good idea, but the interview with the MOTM a little silly.

Most members aren't even going to know who they are, it's mainly only people who post in the off-topic discussions that vote.

Forci Stikane
January 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I guess I may as well give up on the idea, it's just... PC feels like it has come to a stop. Not moving forward with new ideas... just sitting still. *shrugs*

...I realize that your profile is new, so please do not take this as personal flaming or insulting, but... Visitor Messages, Blogs, and Emblems did not exist on this forum a year ago. These are all relatively new ideas for the forum that people have made full use of for their enjoyment. Emblems in particular are still quite new in the forum's lifetime, so I do not see how you might think that the forum is frozen in place as far as new innovations. It is honestly a bit unfair to the staff to expect new ideas every single month, after all.

As for the newsletter idea...it has been suggested before, yet I have no problems with it as long as enough appropriate material could be collected. I doubt interviewing the Member of the Month would count, though, all things considered.

Sublime
January 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM

EDIT:
Suggestion:

Hey I said I would help too xD

I still think it's a good idea.

Swift!
January 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Wow, lots of people willing to help!
This is a welcome change to yesterday's... arguements.

Well, it would be easier if we had a place to work... but I don't think the admins would want to create a subsection for us. So, I guess we could try to make an issue and post it here so that the members could get a look at it. Then, maybe after a few issues, we could get a place to work...

So, anyone that is willing to help, please send me a PM stating how and what you could do to help get this idea off the ground.

Ninja Caterpie
January 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Wow, lots of people willing to help!
This is a welcome change to yesterday's... arguements.

Well, it would be easier if we had a place to work... but I don't think the admins would want to create a subsection for us. So, I guess we could try to make an issue and post it here so that the members could get a look at it. Then, maybe after a few issues, we could get a place to work...

So, anyone that is willing to help, please send me a PM stating how and what you could do to help get this idea off the ground.

Lol at "lots". Three people isn't lots. xD

Anyway, it's possible, it'll just be really hard. :\

Over at ROM Hacking, we have RHN - the ROM Hacking newsletter, which is really, really, successful. Now, if that can work in the biggest(?) section of PC, then it should be able to work, with a couple of times more work, for the whole of PC. Theoretically, at any rate.

Anyway, I can help. I dunno, designing the letter? :P

ANARCHit3cht
January 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I would be able to help. I am quite teh stalker. Hell, people yell "Stalker" at me everytime I walk near them.

~SilverSoul
January 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I would be willing to help out in maybe checking out some of the rps and fanfics if you want (You suggested it earlier). Well, I help in anyway that I can ^^

Angela
January 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Okay so now there are 6 people willing to help:D, that seems like a good start.

~SilverSoul
January 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
So here's what I think. I'm sorry if somebody's already mentioned it, but anyway...

I remember somebody mentioning to send it out by email. I think this would do for a project like this. We could try to spread the word somehow about the production of a new Newsletter coming soon and then people could subscribe for the letter. We only send the letter out to people who have subscribed, of course. This could be easier than trying to post it up here, where it may kind of hide and never be read. Just my suggestion......

Angela
January 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
So here's what I think. I'm sorry if somebody's already mentioned it, but anyway...

I remember somebody mentioning to send it out by email. I think this would do for a project like this. We could try to spread the word somehow about the production of a new Newsletter coming soon and then people could subscribe for the letter. We only send the letter out to people who have subscribed, of course. This could be easier than trying to post it up here, where it may kind of hide and never be read. Just my suggestion......
If we make it I think we should send it by E-mail, and post a copy on the forum, I mean doing both won't hurt anyone.:D

Swift!
January 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
If we make it I think we should send it by E-mail, and post a copy on the forum, I mean doing both won't hurt anyone.:D

True... very true, Angela. =P

I think we should post a copy on the forum as well as sending it via E-mail to people who have asked for it. But, that's not our biggest priority right now... maybe we could try planning what we want in the first issue and who is going to contribute what, as well as how many pages we're going to have.

So, do you want to make it like they do at SA? Where they make beautifully detailed pages that look like they come straight from a magazine. Or, do you want to make it like the RHN? Where it's just written down and then posted on the forum with a theme added to make it snazzy.

P.S. - Seeing as we're just starting to get this idea off the ground, why don't we make this thread our HQ for the time being?

Gulpin
January 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I would definatley help out with a PC Newsletter. It would be fun, and get people to be more active. If it does happen, we have enough members to give ideas, etc. I'm an active RPer in both forums [Pokemon More though] and I can also pretty well cover any of the games forums [mostly advanced gen and D/P/Pt and general pokemon]

I think that a staff member should lead the newletter [like Oni or a writer/staffer that is interested] and he/she/it should make an aplication for people to sign up. We could have an article per active forum and have a newsletter every month, or even every week if we work hard enough.

Sora_8920
January 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Well, it's a good idea. And I wouldn't mind helping out.

And..

I think that a staff member should lead the newletter [like Oni or a writer/staffer that is interested] and he/she/it should make an application for people to sign up.

Lol.

Spinor
January 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
If no staff member objects to the newsletter, I may as well help to kill all the boredom after school.

This should have a section for a featured comic strip. You know, from the comics in the Art forum. If that is not in, the letter wouldn't have a "comical soul" to it. Like most newspapers did with Calvin and Hobbes and Dilbert XD.

Archer
January 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I don't see the harm in emailing it to everyone, anyway. The Highers can send a universal email out to all members from the ACP, although it would be a pain to select members that had subscribed. This makes me think it would be beneficial to just send a link to a thread-based newsletter.

I'm happy to keep tabs on Strategies and Movesets, if the idea goes ahead. I'm also voting for using a CSS theme, rather than posting bulky images, which will deter members on slower connections. I think for now, it should be constucted over the PM system and be proof-read by a staff member that specialises in each section.

Sublime
January 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
The CSS sounds like a really good idea. But we would need one of the local CSS experts. *stares at Virtual Chatot*

~SilverSoul
January 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
This should have a section for a featured comic strip. You know, from the comics in the Art forum. If that is not in, the letter wouldn't have a "comical soul" to it. Like most newspapers did with Calvin and Hobbes and Dilbert XD.

I've just started the spirite comics (like the ones where you copy and paste backgrounds and spirites) so that could be an idea even though I have no humor at all.

As for ideas for for topics, I have a list here:

- Best Rp/Rp Post/Roleplayer
- Something wacky to talk about (maybe some world event or something that happens here on PC)
- Best Battler of the month
- Who's that Pokemon Question (Like they do in the anime :P Just something interesting I thought about. Or it could be something similiar)
- Comic section
- What's New Section

Just some ideas. Some of them have already been mentioned and I've carried it on the list, so don't think I'm stealing your idea.

Gulpin
January 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM
If no staff member objects to the newsletter, I may as well help to kill all the boredom after school.

That is somthing that I didn't think of, because with the author of the comic strip's permission, we could be like a real newspaper with comics, and some of us can even make puzzles.

I don't see the harm in emailing it to everyone, anyway. The Highers can send a universal email out to all members from the ACP, although it would be a pain to select members that had subscribed. This makes me think it would be beneficial to just send a link to a thread-based newsletter.

I'm happy to keep tabs on Strategies and Movesets, if the idea goes ahead. I'm also voting for using a CSS theme, rather than posting bulky images, which will deter members on slower connections. I think for now, it should be constucted over the PM system and be proof-read by a staff member that specialises in each section.

CSS is definatly somthing that we should really consider if this thing does go through. I'm okay at CSS just not as good as a lot of other PC members.

GKS
January 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
This is a good idea because a lot of the things done by the forum are going unnoticed. If we have a newsletter, we could tell people what has happened recently, because many things in the celebration is not even noticed, contests held in specific sections are sometimes not noticed either. This would bring all of the events in the community together, and it will acknowledge certain things in the community that could be ignored. Reading some people's arguments, it seems like you are disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing (there was a work for it, I forgot). Anyway it would be a nice addition to the community. It's kind of like what Thrace does for the rom hacking section.

Vrai
January 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I think that this would be an excellent idea. I don't have the time on my hands to simply sift through the forums and read through every section, and learning how to do this or that.

(On a side note, that'd be a cool idea, too. Having a few links to excellent tutorials on how to do things in the ROM Hacking section or the Art/Graphics Section. ^^)

If we could somehow get this rolling, I don't see any reason why not to allow this idea. And, for what it's worth, I could help write articles.

Surf
January 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM
This sounds like a wonderful idea
I'd Certainly be willing to help
what do you mean by HOTW?
The only one I know about is in the Rom Hacking Section

Netto Azure
January 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Well just a thought but...maybe an interview to members who want one? But eh...too much work. XD

.Vaporeon
January 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't it be best to get an adminastrators approval before making all of these suggestions?

-Neku Sakuraba

Netto Azure
January 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Well the admins had already put in suggestions here...all that is needed is dedication now. That's the hard part. =/

.Vaporeon
January 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well, I suppose I would be willing to help, if it does get created.

-Neku Sakuraba

devilicious
January 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't mind helping either. Maybe writting a column or something, I need such distraction.

.inLOVE
January 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
What Angela posted is right. I made a thread similar to this last month. IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Melody
January 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I see no point in a PC newsletter. We already have one basically (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159) and it's provided by a friendly RSS News bot (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=25253) which has been set up by the administration here.

We get all the appropriate news from the 'Pokemon world' though that anyways.

I see no need for a member driven forum newsletter simply because we already have an http://www.pokecommunity.com/images/templates/rss.png (http://feedproxy.google.com/ThePokcommunityForums) feed for every forum

Sublime
January 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I see no point in a PC newsletter. We already have one basically (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159) and it's provided by a friendly RSS News bot (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=25253) which has been set up by the administration here.

We get all the appropriate news from the 'Pokemon world' though that anyways.

I see no need for a member driven forum newsletter simply because we already have an http://www.pokecommunity.com/images/templates/rss.png (http://feedproxy.google.com/ThePokcommunityForums) feed for every forum

Well, I don't think anyone uses the RSS feed anyway.
At least not any one I know...

I don't see why all you people think it would fail when it hasn't been tried. That's like judging food before you've even tried it.

GKS
January 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Seriously, who uses RSS, a newsletter would give some for people to look forward to.

Mitchman
January 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Im willing to help! i can find news stories for pokemon stuff and anything else. I really search around and stuff. But of course when it gets off the ground. So then how manyt of us are now willing to help??

Angela
January 9th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Well we have over 6 people that are willing to help, all we need now is for something to confirm this ;).

Zimvee
January 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
i would like to join to! I could do like an opinon column on recent Pokemon Games among other things.

Archer
January 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I think people are obviously getting the wrong idea, if they're comparing the newsletter with the RSS Feeds and Newsbot.

This would be a general analysis of the goings-on around PC. This lets everyone see any interesting changes or threads worth looking at without browsing through. RSS just provides a list of the most recent threads in order. It provides no more than going straight to the section's main page does.

Also, I really don't see the point in adding comics to be honest. Maybe if someone here wants to make them, it's a good way to advertise work by members, but external work is pointless.

~SilverSoul
January 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Well, if you think there's enough support now, Kev, then we need to get into detail in what the Newsletter will cover, how it will be sent out, what each person's job is, etc.

With the comics, I pretty much figured they had to be made by a member. That's kind of dull if you put something in that's shown in the Sunday paper every week :P

SegaSaturnGal
January 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Well...I guess I could help.

A newsletter for PC seems like a really good idea. After all...am I the ONLY one who uses the RSS feed?

Gulpin
January 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
We could have four pages, maybe? Front and back.

Page 1
We could have a main article, and then a smaller article at the bottom. On the right hand side we could put the newspaper staff, and what is in the issue.

Page 1 [Flip]
We could have 4 articles, maybe. Or three, and at the top have a box saying what is going on this week/moth/whatever around PC [like staff birthdays, scheduled downtime, etc.]

Page 2
4 articles, or we could just put the calendar thingy on this page and have 4 articles on page 1 flip.

Page 2 [Flip]
We could have puzzles, comics, articles, or anything really.

That is my layout idea, and we could add pages, or take away pages.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
January 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I personally, would love to see this, though I'd probably fail if I tried making it :S

I know that we already have the announcement forum and the celebrations forum, but it would be nice to have all the information in one place.

EDIT: hey I just had an idea, you could get 'guest writers' in, maybe, so people could submit rticles if they want to rant talk about anything happening at PC.

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Sorry for not posting earlier, I was busy.

We appear to have a lot of people wanting to help and some great ideas coming in, the only thing is... I'm not all that great at spear-heading stuff like this. Therefore, I don't want to be like the leader just because it's my thread. No-one was any more power than anyone else!

I like where ~|symphony♪ is going with this, so... if everyone could first post how they would like the newsletter to be set out, we could choose the best layout and then start filling it with articles.

How does that sound?

P.S - I'll post my idea for the layout soon...

Zimvee
January 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
i like symphony's idea. I think we should go with it

Sublime
January 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I don't really have any layout ideas..But I have article ideas :D

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Ok, here's what I'm thinking (it's not perfect yet).

Page 1
First we have the title, "Monthly Newsletter" (or whatever it is we're going to call this) at the top and then, on the left hand side, we have the contents. Directly under the title and to the right of the contents will be a bit of an introduction, to pretty much "sum up" what has happened during the month and make the reader want to check out the articles in more depth. Under that, we could have a picture or maybe an ad (IDK, lol). Finally, at the bottom, we'll have the list of people who contributed to the newletter (could possible be put in the same place on the last page).

Page 2
Major head line at the top to draw the reader in, followed by the main article (obviously). We could possible throw in a picture related to the "major event", such as; a profile picture or avatar (if it's about a certain member), a picture from the art gallery (if it's about a stir in the art section), maybe a picture not even from PC (if it's a major event about Pokemon itself, ie. realease of next movie, controversy over an upcoming episode, etc.) I'm not sure what we could put under the main article, but it couldn't be something important that draws attention away from the main article (tell me your ideas).

Page 3
Possible an interview with a member of PC that had something major happen to them during the month (such as a promotion). Under that, maybe a few small articles about what went on in other sections (actually, that wouldn't be bad at the bottom of page 2). Also, we could throw the birthdays in here (or on page 2)...

Page 4
Competitions, puzzles, comics, etc. The last page should be saved for letting the members of PC have some fun. We could also advertise something like guest writers, if we would like a special guest to write for us. Also, like I said before, we could put our names at the bottom of this page instead of on page 1.

So, that's my idea. What do you think?

Zimvee
January 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
it sounds like a plan. who will be in the newsletter?

Angela
January 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Well, I think that would be decided when the news letter is made, we don't want to spoil the content of the letter, it would be a surprise, and I hope the content can be made confidential until the letter is released.

If your referring to staff of the paper, such as the editors and the writers, then I think it will probably be the ones that are offering to help with the letter.

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Well, I think that would be decided when the news letter is made, we don't want to spoil the content of the letter, it would be a surprise, and I hope the content can be made confidential until the letter is released.

If your referring to staff of the paper, such as the editors and the writers, then I think it will probably be the ones that are offering to help with the letter.

That's why it would be good to have our own private thread or something, one that is protected by a password so that only people involved with the newsletter could get in. But, we can't ask for that... so, we're stuck with this thread for now.

I know one way we could keep the content confidential though. Once people are issued jobs, they write up their article or whatever it is they have to do and then PM it to the person who will be posting the newsletter in the forum.

There's just one thing that has been bugging me. Will we be doing this newsletter for December 2008 or January 2009? If it's the first one, then we're pretty late and that would effect the one for January 2009. If it's the latter, we wouldn't be posting it til January 31st or later (not that that's a bad thing, it gives us more time).

So, let's talk about the content...
We're going to be working on the main article first, for obvious reasons. Once we've gotten a topic and have started working on it, everyone else can go out and find something they want to write about for the smaller articles.

Tell me your ideas for the main article, if you don't have any... go out and search the forums for something major that happened this month.

Sublime
January 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
The main topic could be something about the forming of this. And a "Meet the Editors" thing to get people used to us.

As for regular articles, I would totally wright Roleplay and Fanfiction reviews and recommendations

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
The main topic could be something about the forming of this. And a "Meet the Editors" thing to get people used to us.

As for regular articles, I would totally wright Roleplay and Fanfiction reviews and recommendations

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... the main article being about the forming of the news team. A "Meet the Editors" sounds like a great idea!

I also thought we could throw in something about the new Emblems (even though they were revealed in December).

Spinor
January 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Well, yeah, I'm not sure about the layout. I like both of your's. But extended planning of total layouts isn't my strength -_-'.

The title I believe would be "PCNL" for PokeCommunity Newsletter or something. That will depend on if this will be ran Tyrannically or Democratically... or in easier words, one dictator (leader) or teamwork.

I just want to say the comedy and entertainment is my strong. :)

Angela
January 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Well, yeah, I'm not sure about the layout. I like both of your's. But extended planning of total layouts isn't my strength -_-'.

The title I believe would be "PCNL" for PokeCommunity Newsletter or something. That will depend on if this will be ran Tyrannically or Democratically... or in easier words, one dictator (leader) or teamwork.

I just want to say the comedy and entertainment is my strong. :)

I kinda like it that there is one leader that organizes and approves articles, and he/she can approve styles that members can make (CSS code), we could even hire a team of members to make CSS codes, but that seams like to much trouble(the css codes staff, better to have 1 person handling them), if it's like teamwork deciding on what would featured in the letter then it would be chaotic members would disagree, and if a leader does a bad job then he/she can always be replaced before next issue.

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I kinda like it that there is one leader that organizes and approves articles, and he/she can approve styles that members can make (CSS code), we could even hire a team of members to make CSS codes, but that seams like to much trouble(the css codes staff, better to have 1 person handling them), if it's like teamwork deciding on what would featured in the letter then it would be chaotic members would disagree, and if a leader does a bad job then he/she can always be replaced before next issue.

How about we have a vote for who the leader should be?
Members can post saying that they want to run and then we will let the other members make the choice of who they think is right for the job.

BTW, I'd like to run for leader... xP.

All that aside though, I have been working on the main article for a little bit and I think that after a review and a little bit of touching up. It will be newsletter worthy...

Sublime
January 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Of course, Kev XY should be "Head Editor" since it was his idea.

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for that, .Sublime. =)

You suggested the main article being about the forming of the news team, so would you like me to PM you with what I've got written?

Just a few warnings; I'm not sure what sort of length we're going for so it might be a bit short (or possibly long), also... I tried to add a bit of humour (which might have failed) and finally it's all pretty much from my point of view.

So, what do you say? Do you want to take a look at it?

Angela
January 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
How about we have a vote for who the leader should be?
Members can post saying that they want to run and then we will let the other members make the choice of who they think is right for the job.

BTW, I'd like to run for leader... xP.

All that aside though, I have been working on the main article for a little bit and I think that after a review and a little bit of touching up. It will be newsletter worthy...
That's a smart idea,

I would also like to run for leader.

Actually Kev only revived a idea that has popped up in the Q&F section every ones in a while, there are barely 2 months since the last newsletter thread was created, so I say Kev has to be voted, just like the rest of us.

Sublime
January 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for that, .Sublime. =)

You suggested the main article being about the forming of the news team, so would you like me to PM you with what I've got written?

Just a few warnings; I'm not sure what sort of length we're going for so it might be a bit short (or possibly long), also... I tried to add a bit of humour (which might have failed) and finally it's all pretty much from my point of view.

So, what do you say? Do you want to take a look at it?

Sure, go ahead ^_^

As for length, the main article should be longish while secondary articles just a bit shorter IMO :]

Actually Kev only revived a idea that has been popping up around the Q&F section every ones in a while, so I say Kev has to be voted like the rest of us.

...Oh

Well, I still go with him xD

Spinor
January 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Kev XY, you will run this if this will end up as a Tyrannic ruled project.

The only time you will see "AdvancedK9" and "Organized" in the same sentence, is when "isn't" is between them. I'll stick to comic reviewing and maybe making if I can gather more tutorials and resources.

Would Non-Pokemon comics be good?

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Actually Kev only revived a idea that has been popping up around the Q&F section every ones in a while, so I say Kev has to be voted, just like the rest of us.

Thank you for saying that, Angela!

I didn't want to be given an unfair advantage just because I created this thread, it may have given me a bad rep that I get an instant by to be Lead Editor.

So, the candidates for Lead Editor (so far) are:
Kev XY
Angela

Feel free to run for Lead Editor yourself. =)

Angela
January 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
If this does end up as a Tyrannic ruled project, and kev is the tycoon, then I would like to offer to be assistant leader, you may ask why,

Well I get things done I can multi task I'm organized, and I would like to handle the member interviews I really like communicating with people:D, I'm a people person.

Thank you for saying that, Angela!

I didn't want to be given an unfair advantage just because I created this thread, it may have given me a bad rep that I get an instant by to be Lead Editor.

So, the candidates for Lead Editor (so far) are:
Kev XY
Angela

Feel free to run for Lead Editor yourself. =)
Well I figured someone that comes here only with criticism in mind would say this just to shoot this down, so I said it, to reduce interuptions.

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM
If this does end up as a Tyrannic ruled project, and kev is the tycoon, then I would like to offer to be assistant leader, you may ask why,

Well I get things done I can multi task I'm organized, and I would like to handle the member interviews I really like communicating with people:D, I'm a people person.

Well I figured someone that comes here only with criticism in mind would say this just to shoot this down, so I said it, to reduce interuptions.

Perfect! Cause I'm not...

And don't worry, if I'm Lead Editor you will surely be my second in command.

Sublime
January 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM

I second that. And vice-versa if Angela gets the Lead Editor.

I know that I would do much better sticking to editing one section. xD

Gulpin
January 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
[EDIT: I started this post when .Sublime said:Of course, Kev XY should be "Head Editor" since it was his idea.]

I thought Kev said he didn't want to??
Oh.. Anyways I'd like to run. And here is a more in-depth plan of my idea of a newspaper layout:

[This would be just the layout of any issue, really]
Front Page
Title, which takes up the whole top, or is beside a graphic. We could think of a cool name for it, such as the: PokeGazette, PokeCommunity Times, PokeCommunity Gazette, etc.
Main Article, which takes up the center of the page and the right hand section of the page. It is directly under the title, and takes up about half of the page.
Smaller article, which is directly under the main article, but is smaller than most other articles.
Left hand side will have an 'Inside This Issue:' section, and directly under that we can list the Newspaper Staff.

Front Page [Flip]
Calendar, but listing out dates and events. We could put any scheduled downtime, staff birthdays, or anything that we can think of. This takes up about 1/3 of the page.
Normal article, this is a normal-sized article, which also takes up about 1/3 of the page. It could be about any happenings around PC.
MysteryMod Article. This is somthing that is a contest-type thing. We interview a secret staff member, and write an article about him/her. The non-newspaper staff community can guess which staff member it is an possibly get a prize, or their name in the next issue. This also takes up 1/3 of the page.

Second Page
This one will have 2 normal sized articles at the top, taking up about 1/3 of the page each. It could be about any happenings around PC.
At the bottom we could have a Forum Spotlight, which will also take op 1/3 of the page. If any forum as shown a burst of activity, or we feel there is a reason that we should include this forum, it gets an article all to itself.

Second Page [Flip]
Member Q&A. At the top, we could interview 3 normal members, and just ask them any questions about Pokemon, what they are interested in at PC, or whatever. This takes up about 1/2 of the page, and we could include the avatar of the questioned members.
At the bottom, we could have Roleplay/FanFic reviews, we could have games, or really anythig else that would fit.

These are my ideas for this issue:

Front Page
Title, which takes up the whole top, or is beside a graphic. We could think of a cool name for it, such as the: PokeGazette, PokeCommunity Times, PokeCommunity Gazette, etc.
Main Article - We could introduce ourselves as newspaper staff for this article.
Smaller article -

Front Page [Flip]
Calendar - [we would fill this in last minute, right before we go public with the issue]
Normal article - We could interview Aurapostle, for just being modded.
MysteryMod Article - This we would have to discuss via PM...

Second Page
Normal Article - Emblems, maybe.
Normal Article -
Forum Spotlight - Roleplaying forums??

Second Page [Flip]
Member Q&A - We can randomly pick three members, whether they be noobs or members that have been here for years.
Extra -

And a toned-down version of my main layout idea [this is just for me... lol]:

---/Front Page
_Title
_Main Article
_Small Article
_Inside This Issue
_Newspaper Staff
---/Front Page [Flip]
_Calendar
_Normal Article
_MysteryMod
---/Second Page
_Normal Article
_Normal Article
_Forum Spotlight
---/Second Page [Flip]
_Member Q&A
_Extra [Games, Reviews, etc.]

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
[EDIT: I started this post when .Sublime said:Of course, Kev XY should be "Head Editor" since it was his idea.]

Oh.. Anyways I'd like to run. And here is a more in-depth plan of my idea of a newspaper layout:

Front Page
Main Article, which takes up the center of the page and the right hand section of the page. It is directly under the title, and takes up about half of the page.
Smaller article, which is directly under the main article, but is smaller than most other articles.
Left hand side will have an 'Inside This Issue:' section, and directly under that we can list the Newspaper Staff.

Front Page [Flip]
Calendar, but listing out dates and events. We could put any scheduled downtime, staff birthdays, or anything that we can think of. This takes up about 1/3 of the page.
Normal article, this is a normal-sized article, which also takes up about 1/3 of the page. It could be about any happenings around PC.
MysteryMod Article. This is somthing that is a contest-type thing. We interview a secret staff member, and write an article about him/her. The non-newspaper staff community can guess which staff member it is an possibly get a prize, or their name in the next issue. This also takes up 1/3 of the page.

Second Page
This one will have 2 normal sized articles at the top, taking up about 1/3 of the page each. It could be about any happenings around PC.
At the bottom we could have a Forum Spotlight, which will also take op 1/3 of the page. If any forum as shown a burst of activity, or we feel there is a reason that we should include this forum, it gets an article all to itself.

Second Page [Flip]
Member Q&A. At the top, we could interview 3 normal members, and just ask them any questions about Pokemon, what they are interested in at PC, or whatever. This takes up about 1/2 of the page, and we could include the avatar of the questioned members.
At the bottom, we could have Roleplay/FanFic reviews, we could have games, or really anythig else that would fit.

Front Page
Main Article - We could introduce ourselves as newspaper staff for this article.
Smaller article -

Front Page [Flip]
Calendar - [we would fill this in last minute, right before we go public with the issue]

Second Page
Normal Article -

Second Page [Flip]
Member Q&A - We can randomly pick three members, whether they be noobs or members that have been here for years.
Extra -

---/Front Page
_Title
_Main Article
_Small Article
_Inside This Issue
_Newspaper Staff
---/Front Page [Flip]
_Calendar
_Normal Article
_MysteryMod
---/Second Page
_Normal Article
_Normal Article
_Forum Spotlight
---/Second Page [Flip]
_Member Q&A

*is gobsmacked*

WOW!
Very nicely done, ~|symphony♪! I know I'm not Lead Editor (yet *evil laugh*), but I would love for this to be the layout for our newsletters!

Although, do you think we could explain the "uprising" of the newsletter rather than our introductions? Seeing as I've already pretty much written what I would like to be the main article...

~SilverSoul
January 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Does everybody have aim? I know that's probably impossible, but that could be a way of us secretely communicating. Or by email. Whatever....

I like your layout, symphony. Now everyone needs to decide who's doing what and who will put the paper all together...

Kev XY, I think you should make a clear list of everyone who's going to be involved. Or I can do it if you want to wait till tomorrow.

Pikalover10
January 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hey could I still join? I would love to help out with this and I think it is a great idea!

Sublime
January 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Front Page

Front Page [Flip]

Second Page

Second Page [Flip]

Front Page
Smaller article -

Front Page [Flip]

Second Page
Normal Article -

Second Page [Flip]
Extra -

---/Front Page
_Title
_Main Article
_Small Article
_Inside This Issue
_Newspaper Staff
---/Front Page [Flip]
_Calendar
_Normal Article
_MysteryMod
---/Second Page
_Normal Article
_Normal Article
_Forum Spotlight
---/Second Page [Flip]
_Member Q&A

Amazing.
I love that layout.

I'm curious as to what MysteryMod is though...

Gulpin
January 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
*is gobsmacked*

WOW!
Very nicely done, ~|symphony♪! I know I'm not Lead Editor (yet *evil laugh*), but I would love for this to be the layout for our newsletters!

Although, do you think we could explain the "uprising" of the newsletter rather than our introductions? Seeing as I've already pretty much written what I would like to be the main article...

Ya, I thought that was somthing like what you said you thought *checks*

Ohh... I said at the very top of my post that I was running, just not sure if you noticed o_O

Noah Ridgewood
January 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
_MysteryMod

That's the only thing that sounds like fun. o3o
Despite me not knowing what that is, but.. yeah.

Gulpin
January 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm curious as to what MysteryMod is though...

We interview a Mod/Staff member secretly, and write an article about them. Then people can guess and hope to get it right.

Swift!
January 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Ok, I'll make a list of who I know wants to be part of this. If I leave you out, all you have to do is tell me... don't make a big deal about it.

Kev XY
Angela
.Sublime
~|symphony♪
─AdvancedK9─ (yes?)
Old Lace
Dark_Link12
Pikalover10

And here's the list for the people running for Lead Editor, remember... just let me know if I left you out or if you would like to be added.

Kev XY
Angela
~|symphony♪

~SilverSoul
January 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Ok, I'll make a list of who I know wants to be part of this. If I leave you out, all you have to do is tell me... don't make a big deal about it.

Kev XY
Angela
.Sublime
~|symphony♪
─AdvancedK9─ (yes?)
Dark_Link12
Pikalover10

And here's the list for the people running for Lead Editor, remember... just let me know if I left you out or if you would like to be added.

Kev XY
Angela
~|symphony♪

That seems like enough people to run a paper, but I just realized that you left off Old Lace if he's still interested. Tell me what I need to do for my part and I'll do it right away :)

Morkula
January 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
...kay what. If this was going to be put together, it'd be put together by the PC staff. So before you start trying to form an official newsletter on your own without any staff involvement, I'm gonna lock this now.
*Locked*

Rukario
January 11th, 2009, 12:15 AM
what he means is; we will do (choose) the designs, whats in it (sourced from you all) and when it will be published.