• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monthly Newsletter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
  • I was over at Scribblers Abode, a Sims 2 Forum that I used to hang out at, and one thing that I've always liked about SA is the monthly newsletter. They have a team of members, kind of like a news team, that work on a monthly newsletter... secretly, in a password protected forum section.

I thought, maybe with a bit of determination and well thought out ideas, we could have something of the like here at PC. Now, I know some of are going to be like; "No that's a terrible idea!", "I like it, but it would be too much work." or "What's a newsletter?"

I don't mind all the flame of coming up with this idea, but I'm just saying that it would be nice to be able to read/view a newsletter created by our fellow members. Don't let me make the decision for you... now, DISCUSS!

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • But.. what would the newsletter include? o.o;

lol, I knew I'd forgotten something.

Over at SA they've got things like; Member Interviews, Member of the Month (yes I know we've got one already, but it could be implemented into the newsletter), Games, RP of the Month and Competitions.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, go and check out the newletters at SA. HERE!

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    That's actually a really good idea, it could contain a vast majority of things, such as new features of the site, upcoming events, promotions, site details, moderation, new rules, etc.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • That's actually a really good idea, it could contain a vast majority of things, such as new features of the site, upcoming events, promotions, site details, moderation, new rules, etc.

Thank you. =)

I also think it could be used to bring the members of PC together, because we'd need a vast amount of people from all corners of the forum to contribute.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Sounds like fail to me. This has been suggested a multitude amount of times and it's never gone ahead. I don't actually see anyone who would be willing to do it.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Sounds like fail to me. This has been suggested a multitude amount of times and it's never gone ahead. I don't actually see anyone who would be willing to do it.

Well, you're right. We would need a lot of dedicated members for this to work, but it wouldn't have to be restricted to mods and admins... any members could contribute if they wanted to.
    I guess if no-one wanted to do it, but they still wanted to see it get done... then they would be the ones that would fail.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I have enough time in my hands to run this,

but because I'm lazy and I am starting to work on a fanfic, I will just post my opinion for now.

This idea is good. This idea was never considered by admins. This idea never made it.

Thus, this idea is not a good idea.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I have enough time in my hands to run this,

but because I'm lazy and I am starting to work on a fanfic, I will just post my opinion for now.

This idea is good. This idea was never considered by admins. This idea never made it.

Thus, this idea is not a good idea.

Are you saying that, because this idea wasn't considered by admins, it isn't a good idea? That's like saying admins aren't human, they may not have even thought about making a newsletter. If the idea had crossed their minds and they had a debate about how it "isn't a good idea", then maybe I'd be feel a little different about your answer.

BUT! Until an admin comes in here and says that they thought about this, coming to the conclusion that it isn't a good idea. Then I'm not going to change my mind...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    We have to actually be a member of the board to actually see the newsletter. Otherwise, we get the "Access Denied" screen.

Besides, what would the newsletter have that isn't already done on the forums? Announcements for new skins, forums, and anything else added to the forum are already displayed in the Announcement forum. People stay on top of promotions because of the celebrations forum, and people just keep an eye on changes in the staff. (The upper staff even make the celebration threads so that people know.) The competitions and "of the year/month" are in their respective sections.

And how would this newsletter be distributed? By having a separate forum for a newsletter telling us about the news of the forum when there's the announcement forum?

I'm just not really seeing the point to this. But that's just me.

But as Eon-Rider said, this has been suggested a lot of times by various people, and no one gets it off the ground. I personally don't see any point to this, but hey, if anyone actually does something with it, then the more power to them.

That's like saying admins aren't human
    Ssssshhhhh...

Eon-Rider

Years
  • And how would this newsletter be distributed? By having a separate forum for a newsletter telling us about the news of the forum when there's the announcement forum?

I'd imagine it to be via email just like all newsletters. -.-"

Last edited:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • We have to actually be a member of the board to actually see the newsletter. Otherwise, we get the "Access Denied" screen.

Besides, what would the newsletter have that isn't already done on the forums? Announcements for new skins, forums, and anything else added to the forum are already displayed in the Announcement forum. People stay on top of promotions because of the celebrations forum, and people just keep an eye on changes in the staff. (The upper staff even make the celebration threads so that people know.) The competitions and "of the year/month" are in their respective sections.

And how would this newsletter be distributed? By having a separate forum for a newsletter telling us about the news of the forum when there's the announcement forum?

I'm just not really seeing the point to this. But that's just me.

But as Eon-Rider said, this has been suggested a lot of times by various people, and no one gets it off the ground. I personally don't see any point to this, but hey, if anyone actually does something with it, then the more power to them.

I see where you're coming from, but the newsletter isn't supposed to be this great big thing that makes all other forums insignificant. It's just supposed to be somthing done for fun and to give our members a little insight into other people they don't know, as well as forums they don't visit.

EDIT: Eon Rider, they could make a subsection in the announcement section and give each issue their own thread.
    I'm also getting the feeling that you all are thinking that it will just be a wall of text, take a look at the SA forums (which is linked further up the thread) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Yargh! Me Poop Deck no falling for that advertisement trick! :pirate:

Trust me. I've seen this idea MANY times and it has always failed. Just try to get it. It's never been approved and it may never be approved. Just like the complains about the slogan XD. Those always crack me up.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Yargh! Me Poop Deck no falling for that advertisement trick! :pirate:

Trust me. I've seen this idea MANY times and it has always failed. Just try to get it. It's never been approved and it may never be approved. Just like the complains about the slogan XD. Those always crack me up.

Advertisment trick?

I guess I may as well give up on the idea, it's just... PC feels like it has come to a stop. Not moving forward with new ideas... just sitting still. *shrugs*

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • This isn't a bad idea. And I'm not flaming this or anything here, but how are we distributing this? PM, e-mail, or is it just going to have a little sub forum somewhere?

Eon-Rider

Years
  • If it does become a subforum I don't see how it would even count as a newsletter.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • If it does become a subforum I don't see how it would even count as a newsletter.

Well, seeing as no-one feels like going to SA to see why it's called a newsletter, I guess I'll have to explain it. The newletter is made up of images, which act as pages (like in a magazine). Each one has a specific subject and that entire page is dedicated to said subject; with writing, pictures and whatever else making that page look... "fancy".

So, it's more of a magazine than a newsletter...

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Even with all the pessimism about it not being able to get off the ground, I would personally love a newsletter. Heck, I'd be willing to participate in the making of it!

I don't have the time to scroll around every bit of PC to get the newest info. So a newsletter would be pretty handy IMHO.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Well, seeing as no-one feels like going to SA to see why it's called a newsletter, I guess I'll have to explain it. The newletter is made up of images, which act as pages (like in a magazine). Each one has a specific subject and that entire page is dedicated to said subject; with writing, pictures and whatever else making that page look... "fancy".

So, it's more of a magazine than a newsletter...

Scribblers Abode.... PokéCommunity?
    Scribblers Abode.... PokéCommunity!

Nope. I don't see anything remotely relative towards these two communities. I'm confused why you would ask us to go to Scribblers Abode just to find out what a newsletter is or how they manage it. Creating a sub-forum specifically for newsletters would be pointless to say the least.

With that said:

A newsletter is a regularly distributed publication generally about one main topic that is of interest to its subscribers.
    Scibblers Abode, being a former member there, is specifically for writing and Sims. Since it only has two main topics, a newsletter seems appropriate to have. PokéCommunity, although based on Pokémon, has far much more to offer than just two general subjects since it's separated into so many branches of both on topic and off topic discussion from the prime focus of the community. With that said, a newsletter has absolutely no relevance to anything.

Want to read something? Read something in the writing related boards.
    Want to see a gorgeous graphic or picture? Go to the art related boards.

You know what I mean? Since there's such a vast amount of subjects to discuss, a newsletter just seems a bit much. If it were something that would work, we would already have one out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back