• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monthly Newsletter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I think people are obviously getting the wrong idea, if they're comparing the newsletter with the RSS Feeds and Newsbot.

This would be a general analysis of the goings-on around PC. This lets everyone see any interesting changes or threads worth looking at without browsing through. RSS just provides a list of the most recent threads in order. It provides no more than going straight to the section's main page does.

Also, I really don't see the point in adding comics to be honest. Maybe if someone here wants to make them, it's a good way to advertise work by members, but external work is pointless.

~SilverSoul

I'm Back!
    Years
    Well, if you think there's enough support now, Kev, then we need to get into detail in what the Newsletter will cover, how it will be sent out, what each person's job is, etc.

With the comics, I pretty much figured they had to be made by a member. That's kind of dull if you put something in that's shown in the Sunday paper every week :P

SegaSaturnGal

Chibi Amitie says "Yay!"
    Years
    Good Idea!

Well...I guess I could help.

A newsletter for PC seems like a really good idea. After all...am I the ONLY one who uses the RSS feed?

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    We could have four pages, maybe? Front and back.

Page 1
    We could have a main article, and then a smaller article at the bottom. On the right hand side we could put the newspaper staff, and what is in the issue.

Page 1 [Flip]
    We could have 4 articles, maybe. Or three, and at the top have a box saying what is going on this week/moth/whatever around PC [like staff birthdays, scheduled downtime, etc.]

Page 2
    4 articles, or we could just put the calendar thingy on this page and have 4 articles on page 1 flip.

Page 2 [Flip]
    We could have puzzles, comics, articles, or anything really.

That is my layout idea, and we could add pages, or take away pages.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    I personally, would love to see this, though I'd probably fail if I tried making it :S

I know that we already have the announcement forum and the celebrations forum, but it would be nice to have all the information in one place.

EDIT: hey I just had an idea, you could get 'guest writers' in, maybe, so people could submit rticles if they want to rant talk about anything happening at PC.

Last edited:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Sorry for not posting earlier, I was busy.

We appear to have a lot of people wanting to help and some great ideas coming in, the only thing is... I'm not all that great at spear-heading stuff like this. Therefore, I don't want to be like the leader just because it's my thread. No-one was any more power than anyone else!

I like where ~|symphony♪ is going with this, so... if everyone could first post how they would like the newsletter to be set out, we could choose the best layout and then start filling it with articles.

How does that sound?

P.S - I'll post my idea for the layout soon...

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Ok, here's what I'm thinking (it's not perfect yet).

Page 1
    First we have the title, "Monthly Newsletter" (or whatever it is we're going to call this) at the top and then, on the left hand side, we have the contents. Directly under the title and to the right of the contents will be a bit of an introduction, to pretty much "sum up" what has happened during the month and make the reader want to check out the articles in more depth. Under that, we could have a picture or maybe an ad (IDK, lol). Finally, at the bottom, we'll have the list of people who contributed to the newletter (could possible be put in the same place on the last page).

Page 2
    Major head line at the top to draw the reader in, followed by the main article (obviously). We could possible throw in a picture related to the "major event", such as; a profile picture or avatar (if it's about a certain member), a picture from the art gallery (if it's about a stir in the art section), maybe a picture not even from PC (if it's a major event about Pokemon itself, ie. realease of next movie, controversy over an upcoming episode, etc.) I'm not sure what we could put under the main article, but it couldn't be something important that draws attention away from the main article (tell me your ideas).

Page 3
    Possible an interview with a member of PC that had something major happen to them during the month (such as a promotion). Under that, maybe a few small articles about what went on in other sections (actually, that wouldn't be bad at the bottom of page 2). Also, we could throw the birthdays in here (or on page 2)...

Page 4
    Competitions, puzzles, comics, etc. The last page should be saved for letting the members of PC have some fun. We could also advertise something like guest writers, if we would like a special guest to write for us. Also, like I said before, we could put our names at the bottom of this page instead of on page 1.

So, that's my idea. What do you think?

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    Well, I think that would be decided when the news letter is made, we don't want to spoil the content of the letter, it would be a surprise, and I hope the content can be made confidential until the letter is released.

If your referring to staff of the paper, such as the editors and the writers, then I think it will probably be the ones that are offering to help with the letter.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Well, I think that would be decided when the news letter is made, we don't want to spoil the content of the letter, it would be a surprise, and I hope the content can be made confidential until the letter is released.

If your referring to staff of the paper, such as the editors and the writers, then I think it will probably be the ones that are offering to help with the letter.

That's why it would be good to have our own private thread or something, one that is protected by a password so that only people involved with the newsletter could get in. But, we can't ask for that... so, we're stuck with this thread for now.

I know one way we could keep the content confidential though. Once people are issued jobs, they write up their article or whatever it is they have to do and then PM it to the person who will be posting the newsletter in the forum.

There's just one thing that has been bugging me. Will we be doing this newsletter for December 2008 or January 2009? If it's the first one, then we're pretty late and that would effect the one for January 2009. If it's the latter, we wouldn't be posting it til January 31st or later (not that that's a bad thing, it gives us more time).

So, let's talk about the content...
    We're going to be working on the main article first, for obvious reasons. Once we've gotten a topic and have started working on it, everyone else can go out and find something they want to write about for the smaller articles.

Tell me your ideas for the main article, if you don't have any... go out and search the forums for something major that happened this month.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
    The main topic could be something about the forming of this. And a "Meet the Editors" thing to get people used to us.

As for regular articles, I would totally wright Roleplay and Fanfiction reviews and recommendations

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    The main topic could be something about the forming of this. And a "Meet the Editors" thing to get people used to us.

As for regular articles, I would totally wright Roleplay and Fanfiction reviews and recommendations

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... the main article being about the forming of the news team. A "Meet the Editors" sounds like a great idea!

I also thought we could throw in something about the new Emblems (even though they were revealed in December).

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Well, yeah, I'm not sure about the layout. I like both of your's. But extended planning of total layouts isn't my strength -_-'.

The title I believe would be "PCNL" for PokeCommunity Newsletter or something. That will depend on if this will be ran Tyrannically or Democratically... or in easier words, one dictator (leader) or teamwork.

I just want to say the comedy and entertainment is my strong. :)

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    Well, yeah, I'm not sure about the layout. I like both of your's. But extended planning of total layouts isn't my strength -_-'.

The title I believe would be "PCNL" for PokeCommunity Newsletter or something. That will depend on if this will be ran Tyrannically or Democratically... or in easier words, one dictator (leader) or teamwork.

I just want to say the comedy and entertainment is my strong. :)

I kinda like it that there is one leader that organizes and approves articles, and he/she can approve styles that members can make (CSS code), we could even hire a team of members to make CSS codes, but that seams like to much trouble(the css codes staff, better to have 1 person handling them), if it's like teamwork deciding on what would featured in the letter then it would be chaotic members would disagree, and if a leader does a bad job then he/she can always be replaced before next issue.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    I kinda like it that there is one leader that organizes and approves articles, and he/she can approve styles that members can make (CSS code), we could even hire a team of members to make CSS codes, but that seams like to much trouble(the css codes staff, better to have 1 person handling them), if it's like teamwork deciding on what would featured in the letter then it would be chaotic members would disagree, and if a leader does a bad job then he/she can always be replaced before next issue.

How about we have a vote for who the leader should be?
    Members can post saying that they want to run and then we will let the other members make the choice of who they think is right for the job.

BTW, I'd like to run for leader... xP.

All that aside though, I have been working on the main article for a little bit and I think that after a review and a little bit of touching up. It will be newsletter worthy...

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Thanks for that, .Sublime. =)

You suggested the main article being about the forming of the news team, so would you like me to PM you with what I've got written?

Just a few warnings; I'm not sure what sort of length we're going for so it might be a bit short (or possibly long), also... I tried to add a bit of humour (which might have failed) and finally it's all pretty much from my point of view.

So, what do you say? Do you want to take a look at it?

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    How about we have a vote for who the leader should be?
    Members can post saying that they want to run and then we will let the other members make the choice of who they think is right for the job.

BTW, I'd like to run for leader... xP.

All that aside though, I have been working on the main article for a little bit and I think that after a review and a little bit of touching up. It will be newsletter worthy...
    That's a smart idea,

I would also like to run for leader.
    Of course, Kev XY should be "Head Editor" since it was his idea.

Actually Kev only revived a idea that has popped up in the Q&F section every ones in a while, there are barely 2 months since the last newsletter thread was created, so I say Kev has to be voted, just like the rest of us.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back