PDA

View Full Version : Youtube's changing its layout.

Cassino
March 31st, 2010, 04:49 PM
inb4 you
Like, just this instant, they changed it. And, they're not good at being funny... (http://www.youtube.com/t/new_viewing_experience)
So, as I feel it's an important enough site to merit this thread, what does everyone think about it?

I find it bothersome, I'll go with it, but maybe I'll finally make an account to go with the "I prefer the old-fashioned layout!" option they mention. In the end, even Google is beginning to fix things that aren't broken by making them worse? Hmph. It makes it rather confusing and laggy like every other video site. Others' immediate reactions seem poor, too. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100331164458AAP2PTe)

Kalala
March 31st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Exactly! its absolutley terrible, they should make it so you can choose which layout!

Yuoaman
March 31st, 2010, 04:53 PM
inb4 you
Like, just this instant, they changed it. And, they're not good at being funny... (http://www.youtube.com/t/new_viewing_experience)
So, as I feel it's an important enough site to merit this thread, what does everyone think about it?

I find it bothersome, I'll go with it, but maybe I'll finally make an account to go with the "I prefer the old-fashioned layout!" option they mention. In the end, even Google is beginning to fix things that aren't broken by making them worse? Hmph. It makes it rather confusing and laggy like every other video site. Others immediate reactions seem poor, too. (http://help.youtube.com/group/youtube-feedback/browse_thread/thread/66e7e5a0fb8f968f/1fe5270363c629dd)

Nice to know that we've traveled two years into the past...

Sobriquet
March 31st, 2010, 04:58 PM
The new layout doesn't even seem to have a design. It's colorless and ugly and disorganized (in my opinion). Also, to make things worse, it's lagging my computer up :/

Bring back the old layout!

Charizard632
March 31st, 2010, 05:13 PM
Exactly! its absolutley terrible, they should make it so you can choose which layout!

I agree too.

Anyways, I noticed that when I was going to upload a video on YouTube. It's called "Charizard632's April Fools Day Special"! It's a Mario Party 6 Blooper, which may be the first ever on YouTube.

Team Fail
March 31st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hahaha, I lol'd at that! A "new" experience, huh? Flip the screen upside down, I'm pretty sure most graphics drivers support orientation.

Rukario
March 31st, 2010, 05:23 PM
GAH its HORRIBLE!

DO NOT WANT!

COME ON youtube, put it back like it was b4.

Cassino
March 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Say, it just occured to me — the reception is so negative, that perhaps this is a very well played out April Fools...
I'd guess not, but time will tell.

Zet
March 31st, 2010, 05:27 PM
Well if the new layout is for april fools then they succeeded. On the other hand that textp mode is pretty damn awesome.

Jordan
March 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Others immediate reactions seem poor, too. (http://help.youtube.com/group/youtube-feedback/browse_thread/thread/66e7e5a0fb8f968f/1fe5270363c629dd)
Why are the replies dated to September 2008, now? That aside, this layout is rather tough to work with. Hopefully the old one will be back on April 2nd.

Cassino
March 31st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Why are the replies dated to September 2008, now? That aside, this layout is rather tough to work with. Hopefully the old one will be back on April 2nd.
They... wow, I didn't notice that. I'll edit the OP with the other show of hands I saw, which certainly is dated 2010 (well, not explicitly on the page, but it says "2 hours ago" at this moment and Google says 31 Mar 2010 in the result).

Yoshimi
March 31st, 2010, 06:19 PM
There's just something I don't like about it. It's just…ew.
It's really a shame since I was in the minority that liked the new profile channel design.

I do like, however, that they decided to show who they were responding to.
It gets really confusing sometimes when someone posts a reply without actually replying and everyone is clueless as to who they're replying to.

Raibutai
March 31st, 2010, 06:31 PM
I really don't like the new interface. Just the lack of the description on the right-hand side is... naked.

Patchisou Yutohru
March 31st, 2010, 06:39 PM
a. They need to seriously decide whether they want it or not. I've seen it change back and forth for weeks now and it's getting very annoying.
b. imo, It's ugly. I don't like it.

Alakazam17
March 31st, 2010, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty sure it's an April Fools' Joke. Like the upside-down videos last year.

At least...I hope it's a joke. I can't seem to figure out how to randomize my playlist playing order. xD

donavannj
March 31st, 2010, 08:24 PM
I think it's a prank, mostly to tap the whole "They changed it, now it sucks!" part of the internet.

Aureol
March 31st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I hated the new layout too, and I think it's just a joke.

Dukey
March 31st, 2010, 10:54 PM
This new layout sucks, they have tried to make everything so compact, but it's impossible to find anything without having to click a trillion things first.

Also my youtube downloader add-on for firefox doesn't work anymore, which is what has really pissed me off.

Rukario
March 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
This new layout sucks, they have tried to make everything so compact, but it's impossible to find anything without having to click a trillion things first.

Also my youtube downloader add-on for firefox doesn't work anymore, which is what has really pissed me off.

I so agree..

especially with the FF Easy YouTube Downloader.. grrr!

Cherrim
April 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM
I'm a bit confused... the layout I see on the YT videos is exactly the same as I've been seeing for about a week. o.o; Is that what everyone's talking about or am I just... not seeing the new one? o_O;

robobbiebob
April 1st, 2010, 12:54 AM
You tube really need to learn the term "if it aint broke dont fix it." But they keep changing it and changing it. ITS ANNOYING! its so bland!they could atleast you customize the background ( when watching videos ) differant colours.

Cassino
April 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
Oh, looks like we can't right click videos down the side anymore to open them in new tabs or windows, either, now, because it's now a flash object or whatever...

I have no words anymore.

Edit: Found how this can be done, now, but... ehhhh.

I'm a bit confused... the layout I see on the YT videos is exactly the same as I've been seeing for about a week. o.o; Is that what everyone's talking about or am I just... not seeing the new one? o_O;
Well apparently:
I've seen it change back and forth for weeks now and it's getting very annoying.
And they say you can change it back to the old layout, so if you're a registered member there it may have defaulted to it for you.

TrinityLimit
April 1st, 2010, 07:10 AM
All i can say is: it sucks.
Seriously, why can't YouTube stick to ONE layout instead of switching it every damn two days... its getting on my nerves -.-

This new layout is so annoying, i actually liked rating how many stars i think the video is actually worth instead of either "liking it" or "disliking it".

twocows
April 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm fine with the new layout. It took me ten seconds to figure out where things were, and now that I have, I think it's much better than the old one. If I remember correctly, every time YouTube has changed their layout, people have complained for a few days and then got used to it.

Galukxy
April 1st, 2010, 07:33 AM
Oh, yeah just noticed that.. it's alright, but i perfer the old layout better.

AtomicoExploda
April 1st, 2010, 08:44 AM
If it's a joke, then that would be great, but I think they might be serious about it (http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?en_US=en&answer=178474), oh yeah, and this (http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/100401-111500). The channel changes were debatable, but this is horrible, the description of the video really shouldn't be under the video, and taking out the avatar was another bad idea, google are ruining Youtube. They are so bad at designing.

インフェルノの津波
April 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM
YouTube, I had respect for you before, but now I must say this:

U sukors.

Cassino
April 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
oh yeah, and this (http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/100401-111500).
I swear those sites must be paid to say nice things, made to look like blogs so people subconsciously take it for someone else's opinion and think better of the subject. Ho-hum, psychology is easy, perhaps I should've taken it.

WonderGirl
April 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Haha, shows you how old stuff are sometimes better than new stuff. I hate the new commenting system, it's so confusing and just ugh.

AtomicoExploda
April 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
I swear those sites must be paid to say nice things, made to look like blogs so people subconsciously take it for someone else's opinion and think better of the subject. Ho-hum, psychology is easy, perhaps I should've taken it.

That may be true, but it looks official since they made a 'Getting Started' page explaining it. Would they really do all of that changing just for an April fools joke?

Cassino
April 1st, 2010, 09:46 AM
That may be true, but it looks official since they made a 'Getting Started' page explaining it. Would they really do all of that changing just for an April fools joke?
I think it is real, just considered that it could be a joke given how other sites are hated for changing layouts.

Cherrim
April 1st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Well, confusion aside, I like some aspects of the new pages. When there are lots of comments, I think the page looks a lot cleaner and it's easier to find related videos along the side because you aren't restricted by scrollbars and a billion categories. (Actually, I think the categories along the side are the same as always but there's more space for them so it's easier to look through them.)

But with no comments on the page, it looks really, really empty. D: There aren't enough lines on the page to direct your attention and it's just very hard for your eyes to make their way down the page. Actually, even with a full page of comments (so that it goes into pagination), the comments still don't go down far enough to match most of the related videos so you're still left with way too much blank space. :(

The design definitely needs more lines. There's waaaay too much empty space and I don't like that. Nor do I like the location of the description. D: I do like some of the new buttons they added, but overall it's just... the good things about it don't really outweigh the bad. D: I'm a big fan of redesigns on the web, normally, but this one just seems like they started redesigning the page and got a bunch of ideas for it, but instead of integrating them and making the page the best it can be, they just kind of half-assed it and stopped in the middle saying "Well, this is good enough." It just looks very unfinished.

Also I doubt this is April Fools since, like I said before, I've seen this layout for at least a week now. :/

TRIFORCE89
April 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM
It launched too early to be an April Fool's joke I think. I'm not fond of the changes. It lacks.....cohesiveness. Just very "floaty". Can't tell how to do anything that I was able to do before.

Sobriquet
April 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
One of the above links led me to what I think is a much better layout.

You can find it here (http://rainfall-daffinson.com/youtube-redesign/)

Opinions?

Stairmaster
April 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Am I missing something? I clicked on the link and it brought me to one of their previous April Fools jokes.

Cassino
April 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
There we go, that is so much better without being very different to how they want it to look.

.little monster
April 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
They've been letting people try out the layout since January, I have been using it since then for a matter of fact. It's not a joke.

I like it.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
Look at all the negative comments on their blog! http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-video-page-launches-for-all-users.html

AtomicoExploda
April 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM
One of the above links led me to what I think is a much better layout.

You can find it here (http://rainfall-daffinson.com/youtube-redesign/)

Opinions?

Well, anything's better than what they have now, but I still think the original video page layout is much better.

Jordan
April 2nd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Looks like Textp is gone-zo on the 2nd; nice of Youtube to give everyone the opposite of what they wanted. I guess I better start getting used to it...

destinedjagold
April 2nd, 2010, 05:09 AM
The new layout of YouTube is so darn ugly...
I want the old one back!!! D;

.Wolfie-kun.
April 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
This new layout is a total joke. The layout it had was fine >.> - It's turning into Facebook now, changing it's layout when no one really wants it to with the end result being that bit more horrendous >.<

Reina
April 2nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Facebook had this same problem, they keep updating things when it was near-perfect before. Sometimes change isn't always better, I thought the old youtube was close to perfection, a lot simpler and easier to use... was the change really that necessary?

Yusshin
April 2nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
I despise the new lay-out; it's hideous, and it's not user-friendly. It's hard to view profiles now, and it's really disorganized.

They should just scrap it.

Sora
April 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
So that's why Youtube looked so weird when I got on my brother's laptop earlier.

I don't like it. :/ The old way was definitely much better, as what's been said above.

Dademo
April 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
I hate the new Youtube, you can't even rate videos anymore, lol!

AquaThePiplup
April 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
This makes me wonder what else YouTube will do to itself in the future..

RTHookers
April 2nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Actually, as a guy who did a lot with PCs and unfamiliar crap and annoying problems, this is by far one of the worst situations I see. If I don't call it user friendly, then I added a swear word. This makes p**p look good.

Also, a funny regard, YouTube claims that "1 star or 5 star is used as ranking" which is obviously true. It eithe sucks or rocks, 2 star is the rating I barely use. 4 and 3 are more common and 1 and 5 are the very common.

Ichigo_Kurosaki
April 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
You guys should really stop complaining you all know you're gonna get get used to it so whats the point of complaining.
*cuts in half*

Cassino
April 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
You guys should really stop complaining you all know you're gonna get get used to it so whats the point of complaining.
*cuts in half*
Given how it seems 19/20 opinions are negative, one never knows. Chances are they will keep it just to be bell-ends, and we HAVE to get used to it purely since it's the only video site with half decent load times and many videos not uploaded elsewhere. It's like if Windows got botched up (which it did to an extent, see Vista), it would still be on top purely due to the majority of software only being available for it.

Somber
April 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I dislike the auto play alot

Swimmer Ryan
April 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Huh, did I miss something, they changed the layout 2 months ago, why is everyone complaining about it now?
P.S I've had it for 2 months, still hate it.

Yusshin
April 4th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Huh, did I miss something, they changed the layout 2 months ago, why is everyone complaining about it now?
P.S I've had it for 2 months, still hate it.

In Canada, or at least, where my fiance is (Montreal) and I (Toronto temporarily), Youtube was the old Youtube until a few days before April Fool's Day. It appeared once before that for about 30min, and then disappeared.

So it's new for us.

Sobriquet
April 4th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hmm. My layout was the new one yesterday, but I just logged on and now my Youtube is back to the old user-friendly layout. Weird.

Cassino
April 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Hmm. My layout was the new one yesterday, but I just logged on and now my Youtube is back to the old user-friendly layout. Weird.
As I said in the original post:
maybe I'll finally make an account to go with the "I prefer the old-fashioned layout!" option they mention.
It seems they really could've made it more conspicuous though, and doable for people who aren't members (I'm sure they know what cookies are, but oh no). My personal concern is that either way they will eventually remove the old layout entirely, like MySpace did theirs, which is one reason I left that site.

donavannj
April 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I dislike the auto play alot

So they changed the Auto-play feature?

'Cause if that's new to you, that's actually been around for a couple years.

Lucy Lu
April 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM
This nothing new. I seen this new layout since January. At first I thought they were updating something and then they went back to the original layout. It seems they couldn't make up their mind. I say they should have kept the old layout. My only problems that I have with the new layout is that the comment section is so disorganized. The old layout I could tell of what the comment was made(1 hour ago, 2 months ago, 1 year ago, etc..). The new layout doesn't show that(unless I missed something). And you can't rate the videos with stars anymore. It is like or dislike...um. That is useless. If a video has more than 3 1/2 stars I could watch it. I will think it is a good video. If there a video that is 1 or 2 stars, I will think that video is bad. It was just really helpful and they got rid of that. :(

I think that is only problems that I have with the new setup. Other than that I got used to everything else.

The person of who to blame isn't YouTube...it is Google. They own YouTube and Facebook.

Rukario
April 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM
yay.. easy youtube downloader updated its plugin to work on the new crappy youtube page now.

Bout time.

Patchisou Yutohru
April 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I found this concept (http://rainfall-daffinson.com/youtube-redesign/youtube/)on the interwebs. So much better.

Cassino
April 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM
It was mentioned earlier. (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5671528&postcount=34)

Patchisou Yutohru
April 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Well I mentioned it again.

Eon-Rider
April 7th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Indeed, the new look of YouTube is horrid. Never before have I seen so many thumbs down for a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0MnuF9zRx4), though that may be because they only recently implemented that. =P

But still, the ratings are awful.

Graceful
April 11th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I Prefer The Old One, But At Least YouTube Don't Change Their Layouts Like Facebook. *Sighs* But Since There Is Nothing In Our Damn Power (Unless Someone is God..Which I Doubt XD) We'll Just Have To Live With It. It Took Me 2 Seconds To Find Out Where Everything Was, So Personally I Don't Care.

Housegoog
April 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Yeh i know exactly what u mean for some reason i got this new layout when it was in BETA and it was awfull then
Come and See my channel : tingawinga5

tnguye3
April 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM
The new layout is so ugly that it hurts to look at it! I really want the old layout back, this one is just so plain, and things seem out of place.
I just hate it. :S

daabomb101
April 24th, 2010, 11:50 PM
this is like the time facebook changed its layout and it sucked. seems companies rarely listen to their users

Pära
April 25th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Dont shoot me for saying this, but i like the new layout. It makes it look cool agian.

I give it 2 thumbs up :)