• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Legends - Real or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
The definition of a Legend is a story that has some basic truth in the story, but the story has been twisted and bended to make the story more exciting and the like. What use is a story when it's boring?

So, these stories being Legends, are not necessarily all the truth and are not literal. When it says "Aruceus created the world with 1000 arms", it's not necessarily being literal. 1000 arms could have been an add on, or 1000 pokemon. And so on with the other pokemon.

Another thing Legends are being confused with are Myths. Myths are fiction stories which are made to tell how something began or was made. Such as "How the Rainbow got it's colours". Myths usually have a supernatural theme to them, on how the things were created. Nothing scientific can explain true myths. In most PokeDex entries, the legendaries are said their unique powers and what they created are in 'Pokemon Mythology.'

Another thing that most people are getting confused (or just discussing over) are the fact that although the things are "said", they are not necessarily true. Mew is SAID to be the ancestor of all pokemon. Doesn't mean it is. It is SAID time began moving when Dialga was born. Doesn't mean it happened.

What I personally think is that the pokemon that you meet in the game are not the ones described in the myths and legends. For one, those legends are thousands of years old. Another thing, you can find that pokemon as a shiny. If that pokemon was the original, I presume it would be in it's original colours. And maybe that's why we see no mountain making of Groundon, or sea making of Kyogre, or any of the such, because their powers are diminished compared to their ancestors.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
Some nice points up there maddy, and well argued out compared to some of the posts this thread gets. I just have a couple of points;
*While your point about them being thousands of years old is good, it is possible they could reach this age. For one, they are very powerful creatures, and are likely to have regenrative properties. Also, a large quantity of these legendries were imprisoned, putting them into a coma-like state. This would work in the same manner as hibernation to keep them alive.
*You say you think they are the pokes ancestors, but how do they breed? many are locked up or alone, and have no way of breeding. Unless they are capable of asexual reproduction, being the super-beings that they are.
*You say they are not strong enough, which relates back to some comments previously made (But not as well argued out as you lol). Well, aside from the reason that their is a lack of processing power, here's a new theory.
Kyogre, Groudon, the birds, dogs and regis, the elves and beings of T&S, all have been locked up, asleep or otherwise incapacitated as i have mentioned before. These pokemon are then brought back into the world with a sudden shock, after possible milenia of sleep. Its like coming out of a coma, people have often forgotten how to walk, they may be out of touch with their powers.

As for the shiny argument, you win. The only logical reasoning is that they are infact ancestors of the originals, only slightly variated. This is a contradiction though, as asexual reproduction produces an exact clone of the original. Perhaps, and I hate to admit it as its so pesimistic, it was just something nintendo put in. Hmph. I pefer your idea, its inkeeping with the game :)

Thankyou for one of the best-reasoned arguments in a while,
Gofre

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
Years
Kanto introduced Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, Mew, and Mewtwo. Johto introduced Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Celebi, and Ho-Oh. Hoenn introduced Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, and Deoxys. And now we have Sinnoh, which introduced Regigigas, Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus, Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Manaphy, Phione, Cresselia, and Heatran.

Kanto and Johto are next to one another, Hoenn elsewhere, and Sinnoh even farther, probably in the opposite direction.

We can discount Deoxys and Mewtwo as far as legends go. Deoxys is just an alien virus that mutated, and Mewtwo was created by humans. They're just incredibly strong Pokémon, and nothing more.

Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno represent the forces of lightning, fire, and ice. As Prof. Oak stated in The Power of One, an electrically-charged steam current has the power to flood the planet. This is basically what the "Beast of the Sea" was, caused by an imbalance of power between the trinity of forces. Lugia, having ocean-related powers in combination with being a Psychic type, allowed it to calm the birds. Not on its own, of course; Ash needed to get the orbs from each island and place them in a single shrine. I suspect that these orbs were charged with the elemental powers of the respective birds, and the sound waves from Melody's ocarina or Lugia's cry caused the radiation from those orbs to harmonize, which in turn would harmonize the birds themselves, restoring the balance and "calming the 'Beast of the Sea'". Such a form of radiation would only affect Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos in this way. It would be just like light from a flashlight to anyone else.

In Ecruteak City, we learn that Lugia and Ho-Oh lived there atop twin towers in ancient times, but human greed and lust for power chased them away. If I remember correctly, the Tin Tower is where Lugia lived, and the Brass Tower (now the Burnt Tower) was Ho-Oh's perch. Lugia probably evolved (not in the Pokémon way) to adapt to the ocean, thus why you find it in the Whirl Islands. Ho-Oh probably decided to return to the Tin Tower, since it was the only tower standing and sensed your kindness.

Again in Ecruteak, you learn that Ho-Oh has a connection to Entei, Raikou, and especially Suicune. It seems to me that the legendary dog trio are judges, racing across the land not just because their power is incredible (and yet they're all BL/OU? What the hell?), but also because they were watching us humans. Then you come along, capture/defeat all three, and Ho-Oh understands that humans aren't beyond redemption, and thus flies to Tin Tower and awaits you.

Speaking of Suicune, there's a connection with the Unown here. They never were considered like this before, but perhaps Unown can be a legendary Pokémon? Also, if you've seen Spell of the Unown, you know that the Unown come from an alternate dimension... Perhaps the same dimension Giratina hails from? Maybe the Unown were created so that humans could better understand Pokémon simply by spelling certain things out.

Mew, being the ancestor of all Pokémon, can learn every move that can be taught by humans or learned on its own. It can also learn every other move, but without a method, there's no way to demonstrate this. Mewtwo was created by humans using Mew's DNA, but because they capitalized on power, Mewtwo lost the ability to learn all moves like Mew can.

In ancient times, the Hoenn Region's legends tell of a Pokémon who created oceans and a Pokémon who carved mountains. Kyogre and Groudon, the "weather ubers", are these, and they apparently conflict in every way. Apparently, the Red and Blue Orbs allow the wielder's heart to speak to, perhaps control, these Pokémon. Team Aqua's leader's heart was corrupted by a lust for power, thus driving Kyogre berserk (as seen in the anime). Pikachu's heart was pure, so Groudon was able to stop Kyogre.

However, it can also be said that Kyogre and Groudon can reject the Orbs' power and return to the Cave of Origin, their apparent birthplace. As shown in Pokémon Emerald Version, Rayquaza can force both Kyogre and Groudon into a stalemate and send them away, which is probably why the Air Lock ability is only Rayquaza's. Whenever Groudon and Kyogre meet, a huge battle between them ensues. Apparently, this is not because they hate one another, but because such a clash needs to happen in a certain spot to create a certain environment.

Rayquaza is known as the Sky High Pokémon, and rightly so, for it makes its home beyond human eyesight in the ozone layer. This is why Rayquaza was the first to encounter Deoxys, who mutated because of the ozone it passed through. Rayquaza recognized Deoxys as the alien virus it was, and thus attacked it. Thinking that the virus was eliminated, Rayquaza returned to the ozone layer. Years later, Deoxys reawoke and started looking for the other Deoxys. Rayquaza sensed this and sped off in an intercept course, making sure to eradicate the virus this time for good. However, when a certain city's security system goes haywire, it's the twin Deoxys who defend Rayquaza. It's in this moment that Rayquaza realizes the mutation wasn't just a physical one, and from human kindness, both Deoxys have learned much. Rayquaza ceases its mission and returns to the sky, and both Deoxys, knowing they don't belong but taking the memories with them, return to space.

Celebi, the Time Travel Pokémon and guardian of the forest, is said not to appear in war-torn times. Also, in Japan, Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal Versions had a side quest involving the G.S. Ball (which appeared in the anime as well). The player would take the G.S. Ball to the shrine in the Ilex Forest in order to meet Celebi. With this information, it can be said that the G.S. Ball can only be opened by someone pure of heart in a time of peace. Kurt, the Apricorn Ball maker, couldn't even dent the G.S. Ball. That's not to say he's not pure of heart, but it does mean that perhaps, like with Lugia's legend, there was a chosen person to open the G.S. Ball. Also, in Pokémon Colosseum, the Time Flute calls Celebi to fully purify a Shadow Pokémon at the Relic Stone in Agate Village. Celebi does this by apparently combining its time travel and psychic abilities to make the Pokémon remember its happiest moments, as well as to see what you've done to help the world become a better place. You've noticed that the Relic Stone has a circular hole in the top, right? Perhaps the G.S. Ball could also be used here?

Jirachi awakens once for a week every millennium. I'd hate to take a nap for that long only to be awake for a week. Anyway, Jirachi doesn't really relate to any other Pokémon, it's just there for you to stick a note on and cry since you most likely won't live long enough to see the wish fulfilled.

Heatran, the volcanic Pokémon found in Stark Mountain, I don't really know much about. The only possible connection I can think of right now is to Entei, who makes volcanoes erupt by barking. The Pokédex doesn't show any connection, but there are people in Fight Area and Survival Area that talk about Heatran. I'll look them up later.

Latios and Latias roam the Hoenn Region, apparently in a guardianship role. This is especially true in Pokémon Heroes, when Altomare is attacked by a pair of agents from Team Rocket. They apparently have no connection to others.

Shaymin is apparently just a guardian of flowers and nature, who appears only to those who are truly thankful towards Pokémon and nature for their beauty and mutual uses.

Darkrai and Cresselia appear to oppose one another in the same way light and darkness do. Darkrai's Dark Void traps someone into sleep, while Bad Dreams turns dreams to nightmares. However, this state can be reversed by the Lunar Wing, which is apparently a feather from Cresselia's pink curves in spite of its own green color. I assume that the Lunar Wing becomes green after dropping from Cresselia's body, much like a branch will become brown in the center instead of green because it's no longer attached to the tree it came from. However, Cresselia and Darkrai also work together, being essentially Moon and Shadow, which always go hand-in-hand anyway.

Regigigas is a very interesting Pokémon, because it's bigger than a blue whale (look at the trailer for the movie after Dialga VS Palkia VS Darkrai). Now look at it in Pokémon Battle Revolution, and Dialga's bigger. What the hell? Well, anyway, Regigigas apparently worked together with Groudon, or at least cleaned up its mess, pulling the continents together. This is probably how Regirock was formed, what with all that rock from everywhere being thrown around. Regice was probably formed from the earliest polar ice caps' ice, and Registeel was probably made from metal found in a meteorite that Regigigas snatched out of the sky as it fell. Regigigas would shape these three Pokémon, give them life, and put them in what would become Hoenn as totems, or perhaps guardians (see Lucario and the Mystery of Mew). By capturing all three "totems", bringing them to Sinnoh, and going down into the Snowpoint Temple, one could reawaken Regigigas. I'm sure the next movie will shed more light on Regigigas, Shaymin, and Giratina. Until then, we can only speculate on this one.

Giratina, the only Ghost/Dragon Pokémon to exist, who lives in an alternate dimension. This one's really interesting to me, because it's mainly defensive. I'd guess then that Giratina acts in the Pokémon world much like Cerberus would in the Greek mythological version of the Underworld. It's a guardian who keeps the dead and the living seperate. It can apparently disappear into darkness at will, just like Darkrai can, given the Shadow Force move only it can learn. There appears to be a relation to Shaymin and Regigigas as well.

That leaves Arceus, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Palkia, and Dialga. Sinnoh's legends state that an Egg appeared in a vortex of chaos, and from it Arceus was born. Arceus created Dialga and Palkia to create time and space, then created Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit to create emotion, will, and knowledge. Arceus then went to sleep, apparently in the Hall of Origin, an area in Sinnoh directly above the Spear Pillar where dimensions would shift, allowing Arceus to appear.

With the creation of time, space, will, knowledge, and emotion, it seems to me that these five would create Regigigas (who would in turn create Regirock, Regice, and Registeel as guardians), Groudon, Rayquaza, and Kyogre (who would shape the pieces of the world and guard them, with Regigigas putting those pieces together). To keep the balance, Dialga and Palkia would leave for the alternate dimension with Arceus, while Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf would sleep in the Sinnoh Region. Arceus apparently left Plates behind, telling its story so as not to be forgotten. If that's correct, then it's only natural that Arceus has the Multitype ability. Because those Plates came from Arceus, putting them back on Arceus would unlock a change. And yes, Arceus would have to be a "god" in order to create a universe and other "gods" to create other forces and guard them.

Since no world could have existed before time and space did, it's perfectly possible that Mew was the first Pokémon who actually originated from this planet, and from Mew, the rest of the Pokémon not mentioned in this post.

That's my take on it.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
but then again there are things in the anime that are more accurate than the games (eg length of time it takes to get to towns)

As I've already said, you cant blame the game for its lack of processing power. Its information is first hand and much better than the anime's, which is aimed at entertainment rather than legitimacy. Besides, how does geography play any part in the game. Would you want to spend a month walking between towns? No. The anime shouldn't be trusted, the more times people do it the more i become against it. If there's a conflict between the two, go with the games.

EDIT: Ill discuss Walker's ideas after the next person contributes as to prevent double posting.

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
Years
As I've already said, you cant blame the game for its lack of processing power. Its information is first hand and much better than the anime's, which is aimed at entertainment rather than legitimacy. Besides, how does geography play any part in the game. Would you want to spend a month walking between towns? No. The anime shouldn't be trusted, the more times people do it the more i become against it. If there's a conflict between the two, go with the games.

EDIT: Ill discuss Waker's ideas after the next person contributes as to prevent double posting.

Fixed my name. Honestly, it's right in front of your face! How can you misspell it?! :P

Anyway, yeah, the games are more reliable. However, there are things the games and anime have in common, as well as things the anime explains better than the games, so the anime shouldn't be completely overlooked.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
Oops sorry about the error, im mildly dyslexic so i see letters out of nowhere and stuff like that :P

As for your arguments, bravo; I havent seen anyone relating back to the GSC gen in a long time. And everything you're saying is very good, well reasoned and all, but you talk about the anime which I dislike. Perhaps Im too old for cartoons lol. Either way there's contradictions, perhaps due to different timescales and so on, but if the movies go against the games, im not likely to side with you.

Nice idea about heatran though, I always wanted to think there was something more to him :)

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
Years
Oops sorry about the error, im mildly dyslexic so i see letters out of nowhere and stuff like that :P

As for your arguments, bravo; I havent seen anyone relating back to the GSC gen in a long time. And everything you're saying is very good, well reasoned and all, but you talk about the anime which I dislike. Perhaps Im too old for cartoons lol. Either way there's contradictions, perhaps due to different timescales and so on, but if the movies go against the games, im not likely to side with you.

Nice idea about heatran though, I always wanted to think there was something more to him :)

Well, to be honest, we still don't know much about Giratina, Shaymin, Regigigas, or Cresselia. They haven't appeared in movies or the anime just yet, so we only have the games to go by, which simply is not enough.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
Yeah, hopefully we'll get more info in 5th gen/ 3rd game of this gen.

MegaMushroom07

Animal Crossing Most-Wanted
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2010
Arceus is recorded as an 'Alpha' Pokemon, which proves that it is the first.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Some nice points up there maddy, and well argued out compared to some of the posts this thread gets. I just have a couple of points;

Thanks. =D I did a whole unit on Legends and Myths in English, so I had to learn these things D:

*While your point about them being thousands of years old is good, it is possible they could reach this age. For one, they are very powerful creatures, and are likely to have regenrative properties. Also, a large quantity of these legendries were imprisoned, putting them into a coma-like state. This would work in the same manner as hibernation to keep them alive.

Yes. These creatures may be thousands of years old and could still regenerate their powers, but after a few hundred thousand years regenerating, would their regenerating powers disinergrate? If this theroy was correct, that would make Aruseus over a million years old.
Although, some were put in a coma, some were just trapped somewhere. Such as the three legendary birds.

*You say you think they are the pokes ancestors, but how do they breed? many are locked up or alone, and have no way of breeding. Unless they are capable of asexual reproduction, being the super-beings that they are.

I'm sure if they have the powers everyone says they do, they prolly have some way of multiplying themselves.
Lol. Asexual. =D

*You say they are not strong enough, which relates back to some comments previously made (But not as well argued out as you lol). Well, aside from the reason that their is a lack of processing power, here's a new theory.

=D I leiks to rant, now.

Kyogre, Groudon, the birds, dogs and regis, the elves and beings of T&S, all have been locked up, asleep or otherwise incapacitated as i have mentioned before. These pokemon are then brought back into the world with a sudden shock, after possible milenia of sleep. Its like coming out of a coma, people have often forgotten how to walk, they may be out of touch with their powers.

Elves? You mean the beings of Intelligence, Emotions and Will. Lol.
That's a very good theroy. I support that!

As for the shiny argument, you win. The only logical reasoning is that they are infact ancestors of the originals, only slightly variated. This is a contradiction though, as asexual reproduction produces an exact clone of the original. Perhaps, and I hate to admit it as its so pesimistic, it was just something nintendo put in. Hmph. I pefer your idea, its inkeeping with the game :)

=D Thanks. Yes, I win... Perhaps something went wrong in the producing? D:

Thankyou for one of the best-reasoned arguments in a while,
Gofre

Thanks. And my pleasure. It was some fun explaining things.

Waker, that is an EXCELLENT explanation. Kudos to you, for writing something like that. I'm sure we are now all a little bit smarter with our Pokemon knowledge. Thanks very much for clearing up a lot of confusion.

What I find pretty funny is that Jirachi is supposed to sleep for 1000 years, but is awake and ready for battle in the games. Many of the theroys in the pokedex are proven wrong just by playing the games. Nintendo need to fix that up a bit, I suppose.

Last edited:

MegaMushroom07

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2010
We've pretty much established this already, but thanks for backing it up with the Pokédex.

And in reference to your signature, "colour" is the British spelling. "Color" is the American spelling. Both are correct.

Yes, but since English (UK) is the original language, its spellings are more correct than foreign ones.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
Yes, but since English (UK) is the original language, its spellings are more correct than foreign ones.

Thats not a particularly valid point, if thats how you think then only gaelic spelt words are correct, seeing as english derived from it just as 'american' derived from english.

And in response to maddie's point about jirachi, Im guessing the pokes have to give up their day jobs wen they get shoved in pokeballs lol.

And yes the legendary elves. People either call them that or the powerpuff girls, and the former is easier to write :)

About the shiny legends, I dont think it was a problem as much as an annoyance. The lazy game makers couldn't be bothered to differentiate between regulars and legends when it came to shiny odds lol.

MegaMushroom07

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2010
True, but Gaelic is now a dead language. I would gladly communicate in Latin on this site, but nobody would understand me...

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
Years
Waker, that is an EXCELLENT explanation. Kudos to you, for writing something like that. I'm sure we are now all a little bit smarter with our Pokemon knowledge. Thanks very much for clearing up a lot of confusion.

What I find pretty funny is that Jirachi is supposed to sleep for 1000 years, but is awake and ready for battle in the games. Many of the theroys in the pokedex are proven wrong just by playing the games. Nintendo need to fix that up a bit, I suppose.

Thanks, Maddy! I feel like I belong to this forum now. I know that sounds corny, but it's true.

As for Jirachi, I think Gofre is correct. When a legendary Pokémon is successfully captured by a Trainer, it must give up its former role as a wild Pokémon, such as Jirachi's millennium sleep. However, I also think that a new Jirachi would take the old one's place, so as to keep nature in balance.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
I also think that a new Jirachi would take the old one's place, so as to keep nature in balance.

Thats a nice thought, but I fail to see where a new one would come from. Arceus is either dormant or captured, and I can't think of another poke with enough of a connection with jirachi to be its creator. Maybe they just pop out the ground :)

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
Years
Thats a nice thought, but I fail to see where a new one would come from. Arceus is either dormant or captured, and I can't think of another poke with enough of a connection with jirachi to be its creator. Maybe they just pop out the ground :)

At the beginning of every movie, the narrator states that there are many Pokémon that are still undiscovered. Prof. Elm in Johto, who studies Pokémon reproduction, still hasn't answered this question either. However, I would assume that a new Jirachi in my example would appear in the same way Lugia had a child, Silver, in the anime.

How does this work? Perhaps the dormant deities have an unknown, automatic ability to supply nature with new legendary Pokémon when the old ones are caught or dead?

Also, in reference to Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf, they're generally called the "mirage Pokémon" or "lakebed trio". Calling them "elves" doesn't fit, even though Azelf looks somewhat like Chii from Chobits. :P

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
Urgh the movies. Moving swiftly on...
Fair point about the dieties. Or perhaps there are more. For all we know there are a whole species of them living somewhere.
And I, like many people, call them the elves/powerpuff girls as a derogatory term, as I think that nintendo were running low on ideas for another trinity (That was showing in the regis, who are just as bad.)

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
Years
Urgh the movies. Moving swiftly on...
Fair point about the dieties. Or perhaps there are more. For all we know there are a whole species of them living somewhere.
And I, like many people, call them the elves/powerpuff girls as a derogatory term, as I think that nintendo were running low on ideas for another trinity (That was showing in the regis, who are just as bad.)

I don't think Nintendo is running low on ideas at all. There are still many forces they have yet to cover with Pokégods and other such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back