• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2018
Alrighty, so my first little update here in my Fighting-Type Ultimate Mono, on Leaf Green atm. My trainer name will be I in all my games, with a rival named ASH. +1 to you if you get the reference.

I am playing as a girl this run since I have never done so before. Onto my journey:
Spoiler:

Years
Double Update

First up, my Ultimate Flying Monotype
-Beat Roxanne
-Rescued mr. brinney's Wingull
-Got the assignments from Mr. Devon
-Sailed to Dewford
-Beat Brawly on the second attempt (first one I wasn't paying total attention and it cost me)
-Delivered the letter
-Went to Slateport
-Beat the Aqua's in the Museum
-Beat May on the way to Mauville
-Made it to Mauville
-Beat every trainer possible
-Battled Wattson and didn't even get a single shot in on his first Voltorb. Fail
Current Team:

Pelipper(lvl 30)
-Water Gun
-Supersonic
-Steel Wing
-Wing Attack

Beautifly (lvl 27)
-Mega Drain
-Tackle
-Gust
-Stun Spore

Gonna have to do some grinding... *rolls eyes*

R/B/Y Electric Monotype
-made it through Rock Tunnel
-Skipped all the trainers, went to Celadon and got Eevee, whom I evolved to Jolteon on the spot
-Picked up fly
-Used a fresh water to cut through Saffron to go back to Vermillion.
-Trainer Jolteon on the route to the east
-Beat Lt. surge
-Went and trained Jolteon outside Lavender Town
-Beat Gionvanni
-Resuced Mr. Fuji
-KO'd Snorlax
-Went down the bike path to Fuschia
-Got Surf and strength
Current Team:
Spr_1y_025.png

Pikachu (Lvl 35)
-Thunderbolt
-mega Punch
-Quick attack
-Thunder Shock
Spr_1y_135.png

Jolteon (lvl 37)
-Pin Missle
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Thunder Bolt

Can't wait to catch a voltorb/electrode. Ever since i used on in my R/S/E random challenge, I've loved the thing. Although it can't learn Rollout here ):

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
OK, short update as I started my Flying Ultimate Mono-Type Challenge.

Spoiler:

Hope to get some more done tommorow.

:D

Years
Vermilion to Lavender Town! Charizard is ectremely overleveled and Growlithe is a pain to train.

-Caught 7 Random Pokemon [Total: 10]
-Obtained Flash and taught it to HM Slave
-Destroyed Rock Tunnel
-Caught Growlithe and named it Ashe

My team is;

Charizard [Flame] Lv43
-Brick Break
-Mega Punch
-Flamethrower
-Wing Attack
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Spr_3f_052.png
Growlithe [Ashe] Lv17
-Bite
-Roar
-Ember
-Leer

Meowth [HM Slave] Lv16
-Scratch
-Flash
-Bite
-Cut

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 15, 2010
Well, I already started this challenge before I knew of this site, so I'll just post where I'm at.

Game: Leaf Green
Name: Vincent
Type: Water

Just beat Erika. Swept her team with Starmie.

Team:

Blastoise (Shocker)
Level 48
Moves: Bubble, Water Gun, Rain Dance, Bite.

Starmie (Polaris)
Level 37
Moves: Ice Beam, Psychic, Water Gun, Recover.

Plan on getting Kabutops as final member. Or just going through with these two.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I travelled north-west to Hearthrome City and then I flew back to Pastoria and followed the Galactic Grunt until I reached Cynthia. I then healed the Psyduck and continued onto Celestic Town where I ridded of Team Galactic and got Surf. I then went back to Hearthrome City where I beat Fantina. I am currently in Canalave City.
Spr_4d_397_m.png

Mukuhawk (Staravia) Lv32.
Moves: Double Team, Endeavor, Quick Attack, Wing Attack.
Spr_4d_130_m.png

Koiking (Gyarados) Lv32.
Moves: Ice Fang, Surf, Bite, Dragon Rage.
Spr_4d_416.png

Beequeen (Vespiquen) Lv33.
Moves: Heal Order, Slash, Power Gem, Hyper Beam.
Spr_4d_198_m.png

Donkarasu (Murkrow) Lv32.
Moves: Night Shade, Assurance, Fly, Wing Attack.
Spr_4d_414.png

Gamale (Mothim) Lv32.
Moves: Protect, Gust, Hidden Power, Psybeam.
Spr_4d_426.png

Fuwaride (Drifblim) Lv32.
Moves: Gust, Thunder, Payback, Ominous Wind.

Years
Update

Got the egg from elms assistant. Threw it in my pc and continued my adventure. Made it to and through rock tunnel and found kurt. Found him on the floor, then saved all of the slowpokes. After that, went to bugsy's gym and challenged.. him? I died the first time by her..? furry cytter, but the second time i blinded the scyther with smoke screen them pummeled it with bubble.

Ran into my rival and we fought. I was constantly dying, due to the fact that i only had bubble to damage it and he had razor leaf. I got seahorse up to level 24 and challenged him again, blinded it with smokescreen, and then used my new water gun to kill it. After catching the farfetch'd and running through ilex forest, i made it to goldenrod. I checked the store for good TM's, but all they have are the elemental punches.. So i went into the gym and challenged whitney. She was extremely easy this time. Probably because seahorse is level 26 and a female.

I grabbed the squirt bottle and killed the sudowudo. I went to ecreteak(spelling?) city and stepped into the burned tower. My rival destroyed me a few times, so i leveled my horsea up to a seadra, which i had to do at level 33, since i got her up to level 32 against his gastly. Evolving her helped a lot. He died fairly easy to seahorse that time. Picked up a mareep for flash and went into mt. mortar, also in hope to find the dragon scale. No luck. I went to morty's gym and challenged him. I took all of his pokemon out within 2 shots. I think a level 37 seadra might be a little over leveled..

I fought the kimono girls and got surf. I taught it to seahorse and made my way to olivine. I went all the way up the light house and found jasmine and ampharos. She asks me to get the medicine. I exit the light house and go to the cafe. I find a sailor and he gives me strength. I teach it to machop and surf to cianwood. I go to the pharmacy and grab the medicine. I then go in the gym and challenge chuck. He was pretty easy for my level. I had some trouble against his poliwrath, because surf wasn't as effective as twister.

I got fly from chucks wife and teach it to SHINY!!!!. I went through the light house and give them the medicine. I then go to the gym and fight jasmine. She died really fast, thanks to surf.

I made my way to mahogany town and went to the lake of rage. I killed the gyarados and found lance. I went to the rocket base thingy and turned off the thing that makes them attack me. I found the 2 passwords, kill the executive and got the final password. Kill the chick, and then killed the electrodes. I got whirlpool from lance(useless..) and went to mahoganys gym. I killed pryce pretty easily with twister on his seel and dewgongs and surf on his piloswine.

Went to goldenrod, saved the radio tower, and flew back to mahogany. I went through ice path, picking up waterfall on my way down. I challenged claire, and had some trouble, oddly. I killed all of her dragonairs easily, but i forgot that kingdra was weak against dragon type moves, so i tried using surf until it was almost dead. On my way to get the dragon thingy from the dragons den or whatever, i found my other member of my team, Hydra! Found the dragon fang, and left for mt mortar!

After finding the dragon scale at mt. mortar, i gave it to sea horse and traded. Now, i have a kingdra! I got the EXP. Share from mr. pokemon, and made my way to victory road. I got Hydra up to level 36, then i got tired of grinding and challenged the elite 4. Seahorse is level 60, so i shouldn't have any problems.

Will:

Will was extremely easy. I only had a small amount of trouble because his exeggutor used leech seed and his slowbro was right after it, so i tried to use twister against it most of the time, but it kept using amnesia. So i finally got fed up and used surf.

Koga:

Koga died quick. I just used surf once on every one of his pokemon, basically.

Bruno:

Bruno was harder than koga. Only because his hitmontop used dig and he used a max potion on his machamp. other than that he got OHKO'd.

Karren:

Karren died pretty fast. I had to heal against her vileplume since my health was already low and being confused didn't really help with that factor.

Champion Lance:

Lance was pretty easy. I was almost in trouble, because i lost all the pp to twister. Good thing i had an ether.

The first part of the johto journey is done..

My Current Team...

Seahorse/Kingdra

Level 61

-Surf
-Smokescreen
-Agility
-Twister

Hydra/Dragonair

Level 40

-Slam
-Agility
-Thunder Wave
-Twister

TheRkyeet

Member of the GGs
Years
I've started a Poison UMC run, already completed Emerald, Platinum and original silver. I have to say, though, it gets harder as the generations progress. Platinum was difficult but I think red will be ridiculously easy. Oh well, on we go!

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2011
I have paused my Diamond bug playthrough for now, just before Pastoria gym, but will continue as soon as I finish my normal Ruby playthrough. After Diamond I will be doing poison on Sapphire, followed by ground on Crystal. After that I will start a water playthrough of Gold and a rock playthrough of Fire Red. After finishing that I'll start one in Isshu. A lot planned ;D

Pokemon Ruby - Normal Monotype Challenge

Recieved Torchic
Caught Taillow
Got through Pettleburg Woods
Caught Skitty
Caught Whismur
Grinded Taillow and Whismur up to level 20, Skitty to level 14
Evolved Whismer (Level 20)
Battled Roxanne:

Geodude (14) Attract, Loads of tail whips from Skitty, Finished with Loudred
Nosepass (15) Pretty much the same thing + constant Howl from Loudred
Got first gym badge
Caught Zigzagoon
Finished everything in Slateport
Went back and caught Slakoth in Petalburg Woods
Put Slakoth in day care
Defeated Brawly with 1 wing attack from Swellow on each.
Got Slakoth back (Level 15)
Evolved Slakoth (Level 18)
Battled 3rd Gym:
Magnemite (22) Headbutting from Linoone
Voltorb (20) Same as above
Magneton (23) PP Starved shock wave then Tail Whipped & Howled with Linoone & Loudred
Got through firey path
Caught Zangoose
Got Moon Stone
Evolved Skitty
Went and owned team magma
Battled Flannery:
Slugma (26?) Headbutting from Linoone
Slugma (26?) Headbutting from Linoone
Torkoal (28) Swords Dance + Slashing from Zangoose
Revisited Petalburg
Battled Dad:
Slaking (28) Attract, Bulk Up and Fury Swiped from Vigoroth
Vigoroth (30) Attract + Fury Swipes
Slaking (31) Attract + Fury Swipes
Got surf
Owned team magma again
Owned rival
Battled 6th Gym:
Swellow (31?) Shock Wave from Delcatty
Pellipper (32?) Shock Wave from Delcatty
Skarmory (32?) Shock Wave from Delcatty
Altaria (33?) Ice Beam from Loudred
Currently in Lilycove Magma Hideout

Team:
Vigoroth (32)
Swellow (33)
Loudred (33)
Linoone (33)
Zangoose (34)
Delcatty (34)

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I've started a Poison UMC run, already completed Emerald, Platinum and original silver. I have to say, though, it gets harder as the generations progress. Platinum was difficult but I think red will be ridiculously easy. Oh well, on we go!

Well, you're supposed to go in order but I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

Years
A pair of small updates. I'm trying to update daily
First up, where I've made actual progress
R/B/Y Electric Monotype
-Beat Koga
-Surfed to the power plant
-Caught a level 40 voltorb
-Grabbed TM25
-Flew to Celadon
-Voltorb evolved in the gym
-Beat Erika
Current Team:
Spr_1y_025.png

Pikachu (Lvl 37)
-Thunderbolt
-mega Punch
-Quick attack
-Thunder Shock
Spr_1y_135.png

Jolteon (lvl 40)
-Pin Missle
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Thunder Bolt
Spr_1y_101.png

Electrode (lvl 41)
-Thunder
-Selfdestruct
-Light Screen
-Swift

Ultimate Flying Monotype Challenge
-Several failed attempts at beating Wattson (saving and resetting) have forced me to come up with a new plan
-went back and caught a Nincada, which I'm going to level up to level 31 so it learns mud slap.
I have to ask though, would it be cheating to wait until after beating Wattson to evolve it?
Current Team:
Spr_3e_279.gif

Pelipper(lvl 30)
-Water Gun
-Supersonic
-Steel Wing
-Wing Attack
Spr_3e_267.gif

Beautifly (lvl 29)
-Mega Drain
-Tackle
-Gust
-Stun Spore
Spr_3e_290.gif

Nincada (lvl 17)
-Scratch
-Leech Life
-Fury Swipes
-Sand Attack

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
I have to ask though, would it be cheating to wait until after beating Wattson to evolve it?

According to the first post, even waiting for it to learn Mud-slap is against the rules.

You can use Pokemon not of your type if and only if they will evolve into a Pokemon of your type at some point, though you should evolve them at the first chance you get.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2018
Alrighty, so another update for today. Since I covered quite a bit of ground I'll be somewhat brief.

Spoiler:

That's it for now, I am about to head into Sliph Co. to defeat TR, my four party members are sitting around L40.

Team I:
Spoiler:

Years
Lavender to Celadon, getting more Pokemon to higher Levels!
-VS Rival
--Ashe VS Pidgeotto: Change to Flame, Quick Attack, Flamethrower, Pidgeotto Faints!
--Ashe VS Wartortle: Change to Flame, Withdraw, Brick Break, Water Gun, Brick Break, Wartortle faints!
--Ashe VS Growlithe: Ember, Bite [Ashe], [<--], [<--], [<--], [<--], Growlithe Faints!
--Ashe VS Exeggcute: Ember, Confusion [Crit], Ashe Faints! Go Flame!, Brick Break, Exeggcute Faints!
-Taught Ashe Secret Power
-Grinded Ashe to Level 23
-Got Eevee and named Flare
-Turned Eevee into Flareon
--Team Rocket Hideout: VS Giovanni
---Flare VS Onix: Rock Throw, Dig [1], Rock Throw [Miss], Dig [2], Rock Throw, Dig [1], Rock Throw [Miss], Dig [2], Onix Faints!
---Flare VS Rhyhorn: Dig [1], Tail Whip [Miss], Dig [2], Tail Whip, Dig [1], Tail Whip [Miss], Dig [2], Rhyhorn Faints!
---Flare VS Kangashkan: Mega Punch, Flare Faints! Go Ashe! Tail Whip, Secret Power, Mega Punch, Ashe Faints! Go Flame! Brick Break, Kangashkan Faints!
-Got the Silph Scope
-Got Fly and taught it to Flame
-Ashe Fainted [After using up all my Super Potions/Antidotes] because of Annoying as Hell Ivysaur
-Forgot to pick up More Super Potions/Antidotes
-Celadon Gym: VS Erika
--Ashe VS Victreebel: PoisonPowder, Ember, Giga Drain, Ember, Giga Drain, Ember, Giga Drain [Miss], Ember, Victreebel Faints!
--Ashe VS Tangela: [Forgot about not having S. Potions] Change to Flame, Giga Drain, Flamethrower, Tangela Faints!
--Flare VS Vileplume: Quick Attack, Stun Spore, Quick Attack, Acid, [<--], Quick Attack, Vileplume Faints!
-Obtained Rainbow Badge!

My team is;

Charizard [Flame] Lv45
-Brick Break
-Mega Punch
-Flamethrower
-Fly

Growlithe [Ashe] Lv31
-Bite
-Take Down
-Flame Wheel
-Secret Power

Flareon [Flare] Lv31
-Dig
-Sand-Attack
-Bite
-Quick Attack

I'm going to stop putting my HM Slave as part of my team because it's only a slave.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Okay, update time for my Flying Ultimate challenge. Spoiler tags for details, current team is below.

Spoiler:

Team Fargo:
Spr_3f_005.png

Charmeleon, M - L25
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Blaze
Moves:
Scratch
Mega Punch
Ember
Dig
Spr_3f_017.png

Bob (Pidgeotto, M) - L22
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves:
Quick Attack
Sand-Attack
Gust
Secret Power
Spr_3f_012.png

Freed (Butterfree, M) - L22
Nature: Bashful
Ability: CompoundEyes
Moves:
Confusion
Tackle
Thief
Stun Spore
Spr_3f_041.png

Venom (Zubat, M) - L20
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves:
Leech Life
Astonish
Supersonic
Bite
Spr_3f_083.png

Ch'Ding (Farfetch'd, M) - L8
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves:
Peck
Sand-Attack
Cut
Spr_3f_129.png

Magikarp, ? - L5 (Day-Care)
Ability: Swift Swim
Moves:
Splash

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
At Canalave City I battled my rival. After that I went to the gym and beat Byron. I am currently at the Pokemon Centre.
Spr_4d_397_m.png

Mukuhawk (Staravia) Lv33.
Moves: Double Team, Endeavor, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace.
Spr_4d_130_m.png

Koiking (Gyarados) Lv33.
Moves: Ice Fang, Surf, Bite, Dragon Rage.
Spr_4d_416.png

Beequeen (Vespiquen) Lv33.
Moves: Heal Order, Slash, Power Gem, Hyper Beam.
Spr_4d_198_m.png

Donkarasu (Murkrow) Lv33.
Moves: Night Shade, Assurance, Fly, Wing Attack.
Spr_4d_414.png

Gamale (Mothim) Lv33.
Moves: Protect, Gust, Hidden Power, Psybeam.
Spr_4d_426.png

Fuwaride (Drifblim) Lv33.
Moves: Gust, Thunder, Payback, Ominous Wind.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2018
Woohoo! Finished LG! I beat the E4 and ASH, but it was touch and go there for a while. I had to Hypnosis/Potion/Revive for Lance cause of his Flying types. No extensive update this time since I covered so much ground since I left off at Sliph Co. Lots of OHkO's and new moves for E4.

E4 Highlights:

Spoiler:

FINAL TEAM I:
Spoiler:

Alright, that was pretty fun. On to SS for Johto.

Zaos

Pokémaniac
Years
Hmm...this challenge sounds pretty interesting!! *I've been gone for a while, and none of these challenges were here when I originally signed up :P*

I think I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot.

Fire-Type only. Gonna use FireRed, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum (As they are the only games I have available to me).

I take it I just go ahead and make a post after defeating each game?

(I use an Emulator so I can take screenshots if thats alright too, I'll be sure to Spoiler pics if I do that.)

Years
Ultimate Flying Update
-leveled my Nincada up to level 31, evolved it.
-Got ready to take on Wattson
-Finally beat Wattson. Even with mud slap it was really difficult. Wish i'd filmed it. a combination of slash, and x attack, those paralysis curing berries and the most luck EVER, i finally conquered the electric gym
-Taught Pelipper shock wave
-Went Heart Scale hunting in order to teach Ninjask Swords Dance
-Picked up HM04 for my Trecko
-Rock Smashed and headed north
-made it to Fallarbor town
-Taught Ninjask Swords Dance and Dig
-Caught a level 16 Swablu
-Went through the falls and chased Team Magma up the volcano
-Beat Archie, very easy. Pelipper OHKO'd his Camerupt with water gun
-Headed into the gym, leading with Ninjask, because he's lower level than my girls (Pelipper and Beautifly)
-Beat Flannery, Pelipper git 4 OHKO's with Water Gun
-Made my way back to Petalburg to battle Norman
Current Team
Spr_3e_279.gif

Pelipper(lvl 35)
-Water Gun
-Shock Wave
-Steel Wing
-Wing Attack
Spr_3e_267.gif

Beautifly (lvl 35)
-Mega Drain
-Silver Wind
-Gust
-Morning Sun
Spr_3e_291.gif

Ninjask (lvl 34)
-Swords Dance
-Slash
-False Swipes
-Dig
Spr_3e_333.gif

Swablu (lvl 23)
-Sing
-Peck
-Astonish
-Fury Attack

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Hmm...this challenge sounds pretty interesting!! *I've been gone for a while, and none of these challenges were here when I originally signed up :P*
I think I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot.
Fire-Type only. Gonna use FireRed, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum (As they are the only games I have available to me).
I take it I just go ahead and make a post after defeating each game?
(I use an Emulator so I can take screenshots if thats alright too, I'll be sure to Spoiler pics if I do that.)

Well, if you use an emulator then technically you have access to all the games lol. Also, usually people make updates are made throughout the game, not just once at the end (although I'm not sure if you meant gym instead of game). I typically like to update once every two gyms or so, depending how far I get in a day. Have fun! :D.

Now, time for my update. It's pretty short, as I didn't get as far as I wanted, but enough happened to warrant one.

So I went and challenged the Vermilion gym, hoping that Charmeleon would be able beat everbody. Well, that didn't quite happen. The trainers were easy, but Lt. Surge is a lot more difficult in the remake here. I had to fight him twice. Voltorb and Pikachu went down easily both times, but the first time, Raichu used a DT and Charmeleon missed with Dig, then Raichu paralyzed him with Thunder Wave and Charmeleon proceeded to be paralyzed FOUR TIMES IN A ROW! Raichu then spammed DT while Charmeleon was paralyzed and it was over as Raichu was untouchable. The second time around Charmeleon was able to hit with Dig after one DT and got Raichu into the red. Charmeleon ended up fainting, but Freed with his CompoundEyes (raises accuracy 30%) was able to come in, survive a Shock Wave, and Confusion for the revenge kill and the win. The Thunder Badge was mine, as well as Shock Wave! \O/\O/\O/

Now it was time to take out Magikarp from the Day-Care, where he had grown 6 levels to L11, and start my way to Rock Tunnel. I caught a Meowth to replace Ch'Ding as my HM slave because Meowth can learn Flash and Cut. Went through Diglett's Cave, got Flash, and fought the remaining trainers on Route 11 on the other side of Diglett's Cave, where Venom evolved into Golbat and learned Wing Attack for a seriously needed stat and power boost. Went up to Route 10 and battled all the trainers, saved outside Rock Tunnel. Will brave the dark tomorrow.

Team Fargo:
Spr_3f_129.png

Magikarp, F - L19
Ability: Swift Swim
Moves: Splash, Tackle
Spr_3f_012.png

Freed (Butterfree, M) - L25
Ability: CompoundEyes
Moves: Confusion, Tackle, Thief, Stun Spore
Spr_3f_017.png