• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First rule of Fight Club: Don't talk about Fight Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Aren't wifi signals essentially the same as all the other invisible parts of light like normal radio waves which are already everywhere and already giving you cancer?

I'm pretty sure I read that the damage alcohol does to your brain heals over time. Good news? Not to your liver.
Could be, but dead braincells stay dead and in turn can't duplicate anymore, so you lose potential ones too.

What pisses ME off is if people care about what other people do with their body/life, if it doesn't affect you then who cares?? My mom is a smoker, and it's freaking annoying because I don't want to inhale the smoke so I want her to quit or to smoke outside, but I don't care if she smokes because that's her own decision and she knows the consequences so whatever floats her boat, as long as I don't have to second-hand smoke.

Also, why do you guys care that "everything is linked to cancer etc"? It's a CHANCE, it's not guaranteed that you ARE going to get cancer IF you do this and so on, it's a small chance that exists. The likelihood of getting cancer from say peanut butter or whatever is like almost nil. You really shouldn't rely on those odds because it's going to restrict you for no reason.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Could be, but dead braincells stay dead and in turn can't duplicate anymore, so you lose potential ones too.

What pisses ME off is if people care about what other people do with their body/life, if it doesn't affect you then who cares?? My mom is a smoker, and it's freaking annoying because I don't want to inhale the smoke so I want her to quit or to smoke outside, but I don't care if she smokes because that's her own decision and she knows the consequences so whatever floats her boat, as long as I don't have to second-hand smoke.

Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean that no one else is affected by it. There are few situations where a person does something that affects them only. Not only that, there are times when a person doesn't know the consequences of their actions. Smokers, of course, are the exception, with the strong anti-smoking message that's been going on for quite a while, but there are many people who don't know that they're destroying themselves slowly and steadily.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020

Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean that no one else is affected by it. There are few situations where a person does something that affects them only. Not only that, there are times when a person doesn't know the consequences of their actions. Smokers, of course, are the exception, with the strong anti-smoking message that's been going on for quite a while, but there are many people who don't know that they're destroying themselves slowly and steadily.

I didn't say that, I said that if it doesn't affect you, then why would you care? I was saying I don't get it why you would stress and fret about something that doesn't affect your own life, not that it didn't affect others..? That was the point lol.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I didn't say that, I said that if it doesn't affect you, then why would you care? I was saying I don't get it why you would stress and fret about something that doesn't affect your own life, not that it didn't affect others..? That was the point lol.

But that's why people stress over it. Because it generally does affect others. Not caring about something because you aren't personally affected by it is just wrong.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I imagine eventually, LCD screens or wifi signals will be linked to cancer (if they aren't already--I know there was a big fuss somewhat recently in Ontario high schools about whether or not to allow wifi because it could be a health risk). So yeah, PC would be sort of linked to cancer.

Also lots of people visit it on their mobile phones and people have been going on and on about those causing cancer for a decade. (Although I think this one was refuted at some point?)
I think the WiFi is schools fear here actually started because some parent blamed it for causing her kid to have nosebleeds and nightmares.

Then eventually the teachers claimed a link to cancer.

And Health Canada says no problem. Or at least, no more of a problem that anything else we have going around. All them microwaves and radio waves and whatnots XD

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020

But that's why people stress over it. Because it generally does affect others. Not caring about something because you aren't personally affected by it is just wrong.

Yes but it is a choice they make, so there is not much you can do. If someone was forced to smoke it would be something different but everyone knows the consequences and some still choose to do it so then there is no need to worry unless they are close relatives maybe. Why should I care about someone I don't know choosing to screw up their health?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Why should I care about someone I don't know choosing to screw up their health?
Not that I really care, but because you're probably gonna wind up paying for their healthcare through taxes (though depending on where you are, taxes on cigarettes draws in a lot of money for the government).

But then I'd just advocate for people to pay for their own healthcare and for less taxes.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Not that I really care, but because you're probably gonna wind up paying for their healthcare through taxes (though depending on where you are, taxes on cigarettes draws in a lot of money for the government).

But then I'd just advocate for people to pay for their own healthcare and for less taxes.

I don't agree with people having to pay for their own healthcare - if you're beaten up on the street you're screwed if you don't have the money to pay for a doctor. I do think people who smoke or drink excessively should pay all the costs that are linked to their unhealthy habit.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Yes but it is a choice they make, so there is not much you can do. If someone was forced to smoke it would be something different but everyone knows the consequences and some still choose to do it so then there is no need to worry unless they are close relatives maybe. Why should I care about someone I don't know choosing to screw up their health?

Smoking is an exception. Many people don't know what they're truly doing to their body.

Again, just because you're not affected by it doesn't mean you shouldn't care. It's their choice, yes, but they may be ignorant of the consequences, and even if they're not they're probably unwillingly affecting other people. There's nothing wrong with letting a person ruin their body as long as they don't expose others to it and are fully aware of the consequences, but these two requirements are almost never met.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think ridiculing someone is public for it is wrong, droomph. No one is perfect, would you want someone to ridicule you if you do something in public that's bad for you? What if someone ridiculed you for having a big meal at a restaurant? ;x

My mom's so funny, she's in the middle of quitting and now she's super judgmental about smokers when she wasn't judgmental about them a week ago hahaha. Mostly it's the money thing though - some people smoke a ton and then complain about having no money. That's why she's quitting, money instead of health.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
The problem I have with smoking is it affects others as well as the smoker, who dosent care they they may be affecting the health of those around them and smoke around other people. I dont care if you smoke, but I dont want to inhale the smoke from other people's cigarettes.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
That doesn't sound too nice. You know what they say - mo' money, mo' problems :(

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
The Steam Sales need to be shorter. Oh my god I've added 9 games to my backlog in the last week (although not all through Steam) and it's horrible. T_T Plus I'm considering getting at least one or two more things before the sale is done in a week.

I just need to ban myself from the internet until the 23rd or something, lmao.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I've talked about the sales so much but I've only bought 5 bucks worth of games!! I'm such a good pennypincher.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Despite all the games on sale on Steam, barely anything interests me. The only game I got during the whole sale was graciously donated :(

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
:P I've only spent ~$16 so far (plus $5 on gifts today). I think that's pretty good. I was hoping to not go much over $20.

Nothing on my wishlist is something I need RIGHT AWAY OMG and I'm not anticipating anything I really want going on sale at a price I'll bite at so I think I'm pretty safe for the rest of the sale. Hopefully. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back