• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen VII speculation, new features and discussion thread

Where do you want the Next Generation of pokemon to be based in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    The thing about non linear games is that it tends to confuse kids these days so maybe GF tries to create games that are linear for kids to finish the games more easily. Remember that these games are made (i think) for 10 year olds
    I don't think that's the reason for the linearity in Pokemon games.

The reason I doubt that's GameFreak's reasoning is because several Pokemon games can be played in an off-the-path manner. I doubt this is by complete coincidence. Because if GameFreak was that set on it being linear they could make it so you can't fight the next Gym Leader without the previous Gym Badge.
    In Generation One you can fight Koga or Sabrina in either order.
    In Generation Two I know you can decide to fight Jasmine or Pryce before fighting Chuck, even if it means a lot of back tracking.
    In Generation Three Brawly and Winona can be skipped up until going to the Pokemon League.
    I've heard you can do a little sequence breaking in Generation Four, but I don't know myself. Generation Five has been cited as the most linear of the Pokemon games to my knowledge. So I don't know if there's any sequence breaking there.

The reason for the linearity in Pokemon games more than likely has to do with their focus on narrative. This is actually the reason for a lot of games being linear. Its because it can be tedious not to accidentally cause events to get mixed up in an order that doesn't work. Like if a character references meeting you at place you've never been or uses an item they haven't acquired yet. To rectify issues like that it requires more programming. The more you allow the player to deviate the complex the programming necessarily has to become to accommodate all these factors. And of course, more complex programming means more time and money.

I honestly don't think it would require too much extra effort on GameFreak's part. Generation One and Six are actually great examples to point to. Generation One can be sequence broken through glitches and the end story isn't all that different or messed up. It doesn't really matter if Team Rocket took over Pokemon Tower or if they were defeated at the Game Corner first does it? The same applies to Team Flare. Does it really matter if they storm the Pokeball Factory before the Powerplant? Aside from a few changes to the dialogue here and there (Which would be easy, you'd just have to set flags that turn on as you complete events and depending on which ones are active the game would reference the appropriate line.) As long as you have the meeting with Team Flare first and the Secret Base followed by the conclusion at the end the story makes perfect sense.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Aside from non-linearity, I also believe that it'd be nice if they were to bring character customization back. I've heard rumors that in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, they would be removing this feature, considering that May and Brendan are well-established characters on their own, and allowing players to freely personalize these guys would kind of take that away.

Now, if they wish, they could still keep customization and limit it only to our online-self (when we go battling with somebody, trade, or mix records), but I'm not sure if this'll actually be happening, even though it might seem sort of logical to some. If they wind up doing similar things in Diamond and Pearl remakes--restrict us from customizing main characters--I'd find it to be disappointing, and so would many others, I'm sure.

Lucas and Dawn are indeed established like Brendan and May, but I just hope that they don't continue putting the feature on ice due only to this reason.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2014
    Generation 7 ideas

Hey here is my ideas for generation 7. Called Pokemon Proton and Neutron.

The Ledgendaries: The legendary for Pokemon Proton version is a white looking crocodile, with glowing atoms around it. It's type is Electric/Dragon. The legendary for Pokemon Neutron version is a wolf looking creature that has neutrons around it. It's type is Dark/Fairy. The Third legendary resembles and alien and is based off of an electron. It is yellow and is similar to mewtwo. It's type is Electric/Psychic.

The Starters: The Grass starter for 7th gen is a hedgehog, that evolves into a giant porcupine. It's type is Grass/Steel. The Fire starter is a Rhino that has a flaming torch on it's horn. It's type is Fire/Dark. The Water starter is a baby Shark, that evolves into a great white. It's type is Water/Dragon. And it also gets a primal evolution and gets the ability strong jaw.

The region: The region takes place in Egypt, mostly Cairo. There are cities and pyramids to explore as well.

So those are my ideas, please share yours as well. And let me know if you like it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Wow, those ideas sound great!

If it were up to me, however, one change I'd personally make is to perhaps re-categorize the legendary wolf into some other typing, as fairy might not exactly fit (dark seems to sound fine--at least to me--as this is an aspect that wolves are normally associated with). Instead, perhaps you could have it become fighting? An alternative would be ghost, if it's portrayed as such.

Another change I would make is, since water-type starter has a primal-evolution, I'd also give one of these forms to fire and grass ones. They're all meant to be equal, and doing that would help make them seem as such, I'm sure. If it were only that water-type that got primal form, chances are, more people would prefer it over other two, which would wind up to be a bit unfair.

Basing the region off Egypt definitely sounds interesting. I could imagine most locations to be covered in sandstorm, since Egypt is mainly filled with deserts.

Also, we already have a generation seven discussion thread, so if you don't mind, I'm going ahead and merging it with that!

Merged.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2015
    Hey here is my ideas for generation 7. Called Pokemon Proton and Neutron.

The Ledgendaries: The legendary for Pokemon Proton version is a white looking crocodile, with glowing atoms around it. It's type is Electric/Dragon. The legendary for Pokemon Neutron version is a wolf looking creature that has neutrons around it. It's type is Dark/Fairy. The Third legendary resembles and alien and is based off of an electron. It is yellow and is similar to mewtwo. It's type is Electric/Psychic.

The Starters: The Grass starter for 7th gen is a hedgehog, that evolves into a giant porcupine. It's type is Grass/Steel. The Fire starter is a Rhino that has a flaming torch on it's horn. It's type is Fire/Dark. The Water starter is a baby Shark, that evolves into a great white. It's type is Water/Dragon. And it also gets a primal evolution and gets the ability strong jaw.

The region: The region takes place in Egypt, mostly Cairo. There are cities and pyramids to explore as well.

So those are my ideas, please share yours as well. And let me know if you like it.
    The opposite of a Proton is an Electron. So it would be Pokémon Proton and Pokémon Electron as the first two games that introduce 2 out of 3 of a legendary trio. Then Pokémon Neutron is released last with the 3rd of the trio.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    -Gamefreak, and TPCi in general, have a hard on with Greece. Movie 12 was based off of Greece, the spear pillar took design notes from our old temples, the remake names, the name of Kalos is greek for Beauty, and so on so forth. I think that besides the hinted region, which will likely be something in gen 6, we're getting Greece next. Like France, instead of one city they'll take the entire country, and go crazy with it. I can see it like Hoenn, with a huge landmass and an equal sized ocean. We arguably have one of the most distinct sillouettes for a country, along with numerous higly recognizable islands. Lots of mountains too, which is a plus, as well as a ready made mythological background. It just works I tell yah.
    -If its on N3DS, expect it to be the last traditional generation. If its on the new handheld, expect a major shake up. Wii U level graphics for a Pokemon game means they have to soft reboot the entire Overworld portion. If you thought XY was a major update for jumping to 3D, then whatever gen comes out on the new handheld will be 10x more.
    -I'm either expecting them to introduce somewhere in the 100 ballpark new Pokemon, or none at all. It depends on if they decide to introduce more this gen, cause I can't see them going past 850.
    -A much more dynamic game. Expect the Lati Flying to be the replacement of fly, mark my words. HM's probably will be streamlined to Swimming, Flying, and then whatever interactions there could be on the OW. Cut,strength, Rock Smash, and Rock Climb are available for every Pokemon, but after you get the HM. Stuff like Waterfall and Diving would be the same, maybe. But yeah, exploration wise a major shake up.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • -Region based on Africa or the Amazons (we need jungles people!)
    -More unique type combinations that have never been before (like Poison\Fairy, Normal\Dragon and Ice\Steel. These would be typings i want to see.)
    -Protagonist character development, perhaps even aging. (Maybe we'll finally know why they don't have dads. well excpet gen III)
    -Regarding the former, maybe a region with a dad in home instead of a mom, it could be a nice change.
    -More eeveelutons, maybe Steel or Poison who were demanded after getting Sylveon, to counter the Fairy typing.
    -Full 6V6 battles (12 pokemon on the field at the same time)

I probably have more, that's just from the top of my head.
    And i think the Fire\Grass\Water starters are fine the way they are, but if they'll have another Fire\Fighting i'll get pissed!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • -Gamefreak, and TPCi in general, have a hard on with Greece. Movie 12 was based off of Greece, the spear pillar took design notes from our old temples, the remake names, the name of Kalos is greek for Beauty, and so on so forth. I think that besides the hinted region, which will likely be something in gen 6, we're getting Greece next. Like France, instead of one city they'll take the entire country, and go crazy with it. I can see it like Hoenn, with a huge landmass and an equal sized ocean. We arguably have one of the most distinct sillouettes for a country, along with numerous higly recognizable islands. Lots of mountains too, which is a plus, as well as a ready made mythological background. It just works I tell yah.
    -If its on N3DS, expect it to be the last traditional generation. If its on the new handheld, expect a major shake up. Wii U level graphics for a Pokemon game means they have to soft reboot the entire Overworld portion. If you thought XY was a major update for jumping to 3D, then whatever gen comes out on the new handheld will be 10x more.
    -I'm either expecting them to introduce somewhere in the 100 ballpark new Pokemon, or none at all. It depends on if they decide to introduce more this gen, cause I can't see them going past 850.
    -A much more dynamic game. Expect the Lati Flying to be the replacement of fly, mark my words. HM's probably will be streamlined to Swimming, Flying, and then whatever interactions there could be on the OW. Cut,strength, Rock Smash, and Rock Climb are available for every Pokemon, but after you get the HM. Stuff like Waterfall and Diving would be the same, maybe. But yeah, exploration wise a major shake up.

Don't forget Sootopolis being based on Santorini, Greece design wise.

Considering that Gen 3 and Gen 5 were essentially reboots chances are 7 may also be one.

I hope they go with at least 80 new Pokémon. Fifty of those new non-legends/starters, 10 legendary Pokémon, the new starters, and 11 evolutions of old Pokémon. The dex as a whole hopefully will be 270. Out of the 190 returning mons I'll like to see the Eevee line, the Clamperl line, the Snorunt line, the Ralts line, the Riolu line, the Zoroark line, the Smoochum line, and Stantler (which hopefully will get an evolution).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    -Protagonist character development, perhaps even aging. (Maybe we'll finally know why they don't have dads. well excpet gen III)

Aging would be very cool, I believe, but unless they do something to fast-forward the game by a few years within its plot (perhaps a decade or two, if we do want characters to have noticeable changes to their body), I can't imagine aging to be an actual thing. In terms of story-line, things happen within the range of a year or so, which isn't much. Nonetheless, it does sound interesting!

Though, if they wish to have past characters make appearance, they could always have them age, all depending on after how many years said game takes place from previous generations and whatnot. I hope I'm making sense, haha.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Aging would be very cool, I believe, but unless they do something to fast-forward the game by a few years within its plot (perhaps a decade or two, if we do want characters to have noticeable changes to their body), I can't imagine aging to be an actual thing. In terms of story-line, things happen within the range of a year or so, which isn't much. Nonetheless, it does sound interesting!

Though, if they wish to have past characters make appearance, they could always have them age, all depending on after how many years said game takes place from previous generations and whatnot. I hope I'm making sense, haha.

Perfect sense.I mean there were always timeskips in the pokemon universe like the 2 years between B\W and B2\W2.
    Cheren, Bianca, Iris- they're all older.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'd like to see a game, where the evil team actually succeeds in their evil plan and they create a postapocalyptic world. You as the protagonist then have to spend the second half of the game with exploration and gathering Pokemon and ressources so you can go in the main base of this team and beat them for good.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Agreeing with above; evil organizations were close to succeeding with their plan in previous games, but that was all; they were close, and eventually stopped by protagonist. Nothing else seemed to have happened behind that, sadly. If they decide to go above this formula at some point in future and allow them to actually have things their way, it should be nice change of pace; am sure fans would be interested.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2014
    OrAs aren't out yet, but I was wondering what are your thoughts on the future of Pokemon? What would you like to see in Gen VII? What kind of region do you think we'll get? Since the 'New' 3DS was announced do you think we'll see another generation like V where the games could be played on the older DS versions but were enhanced for the DSi? Or perhaps one like Gen II where we could play the first two on the GB but not the third version which was GBC exclusive?

I have an idea for gen 7 its called Pokemon: Proton and Electron

The legendary for proton version is a blue wolf with glowing yellow stripes on it, it's typing is Electric/Fairy. The legendary for pokemon electron is a white evil looking crocodile. It's typing is Electric/Dark. The third legendary resembles a neutron and looks like an alien similar to mewtwo but different. It's typing is Electric/Psychic.

The starters for gen 7:

The grass starter is a sheep with bushes on it. It evolves into a Grass/Fairy type.
    The fire starter is a meerkat, that has black stripes. It evolves into a Fire/Dark type.
    The water starter is a baby shark with mini legs, it has a giant mouth. It evolves into a Water/Dragon type. It also gets a mega evolution, and gets the ability strong jaw.

Mega evolutions:

mega snorlax
    mega raichu
    mega cofagrigus
    mega arcanine
    gen 2 starters
    gen 4 starters
    gen 5 starters
    gen 6 starters

The region:
    The region takes place in Cairo, Egypt, with pyramids and tombs to explore.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'd like to see a game, where the evil team actually succeeds in their evil plan and they create a postapocalyptic world. You as the protagonist then have to spend the second half of the game with exploration and gathering Pokemon and ressources so you can go in the main base of this team and beat them for good.
    Sort of like Ganondorf in LoZ Ocarina of Time (and it's remake). I wouldn't mind that. Though post apocalyptic may be too much for GF due to the implications it'll have for any future regions or past region even that may share the same spot in the time line. Unless if it's an isolated event. Maybe a crumbling society?

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • If you can pick a Black avatar... why not just add an Adult option. Pick Boy/Girl -> Pick Race -> Pick Age.

Obviously only children play Pokemon, so that won't happen.

Team Rocket will return with a plot to steal ALL the Mega-Stones in the world.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It would be nice to see Team Rocket return again; considering that it's the original criminal organization, more people are familiar with them, and would appreciate seeing them.

Though, I wonder what kind of plan they could be having with those mega-stones? Haha.

Years
  • I was thinking they will still have it on 3DS because it is too sooneh to make a new gadget because there are still people without 3DS so it is too soonz I tell you.Yet I am imagining a new type again or some surprise mega evolution for some old legendaries(like lugia,ho-oh,suicune etc. <-- yet it would be a bit boring to see every of them getting mega evolutions and the uniqueness of the mega evolve would be a daily routine) or probably new pokemon with new mega-evolutions and brand new moves or some old pokemon getting to have evolutions.I was hoping to see a hidden legendary pokemon which will be either made by humen again(something like a mix of mewtwo and genesect came in my mind),or was a like Diancie,or a pokemon from the nature who would have two evolutions and a primal form.

As a new topic came by as I read the last two comments,I don't really belive Game Freak would pass the protagonism on Team Rocket.I will agree here that children play pokemon(well mostly of course) and the point of pokemon (in my beliefs) is to show the real frienship the fair and friendly antagonism,respect against eachother,the connection we have with our pets-in that case pokemon-(e.g. Ash and Pikachu) and how to be responsible to raise them correctly and you can do anything if you will belive in yourself,having faith,and be you without letting anyone change you.
    So getting team Rocket stealing all of the pokemon and succeeding will be kind of 'extreme' for the children and this might bring pokemon in destruction and we really don't want that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Skat said:
    As a new topic came by as I read the last two comments,I don't really belive Game Freak would pass the protagonism on Team Rocket.I will agree here that children play pokemon(well mostly of course) and the point of pokemon (in my beliefs) is to show the real frienship the fair and friendly antagonism,respect against eachother,the connection we have with our pets-in that case pokemon-(e.g. Ash and Pikachu) and how to be responsible to raise them correctly and you can do anything if you will belive in yourself,having faith,and be you without letting anyone change you.
    So getting team Rocket stealing all of the pokemon and succeeding will be kind of 'extreme' for the children and this might bring pokemon in destruction and we really don't want that.

I get what you mean, but even so, I believe having antagonist succeed for once would give some new air to breathe; things will be kind of different from our usual choose-starter, train, defeat-gyms, and take-down-evil-team formula, in a way. If you can't defeat antagonist yourself, they'll likely give us some chance of taking them down in an indirect way after they're done with their plans, which would still give us a feel-good moment towards the end. Hope I'm making sense here, haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back