• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen VII speculation, new features and discussion thread

Where do you want the Next Generation of pokemon to be based in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    We've had a region--Kalos--based off an European country very recently, which was France. While above post does have some good points, I can't exactly imagine them to continue XY's plot even further (or anything along the lines), since they usually don't do this sort of thing. Who knows, though; when it comes to Pokémon, I suppose anything is possible!

If they are to develop a new region, however, I'd personally like it if it were inspired by some place outside of that. Canada, maybe, haha. I remember reading some decent ideas about it around the web, and they very much intrigued me. If GameFreak could follow through, I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • We've had a region--Kalos--based off an European country very recently, which was France. While above post does have some good points, I can't exactly imagine them to continue XY's plot even further (or anything along the lines), since they usually don't do this sort of thing. Who knows, though; when it comes to Pokémon, I suppose anything is possible!

If they are to develop a new region, however, I'd personally like it if it were inspired by some place outside of that. Canada, maybe, haha. I remember reading some decent ideas about it around the web, and they very much intrigued me. If GameFreak could follow through, I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad.
    Who knows, they could mimic generation 2. This generation (as well as V) seem to purposely be copies of Gen I (well in terms of anime it is, less so in games), and BW had B2W2 as their own Gen 2. So if XY don't end up getting sequels (or even prequels) there's a chance next generation may be a Gen 2 expy.

Though honestly I'm getting tired of all the Gen I copies...at this rate Gens II (to some degree), III and IV seem to be the most unique (they also just so happen to be my favorite generations). I hope next generation GF gives up on the generation 1 (and 2 fans). I don't even want them to make a Gen III, or IV copy, but something more original. With a healthy mix of both old and new Pokemon, by that I mean like 75 new mons, and 75 old mons in the dex. Speaking of the dex I'll like a return to being a Kanto size dex, with basic (yet based on different species) designs. Well maybe a Johto (original), Hoenn (original), or Pt Sinnoh sized dex.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I would love it if we stepped away from Urbanized regions if it was possible, and have one set in the wilderness. I don't really have a preference as to where it's based off of, as long as we don't have a huge city like Lumiose again haha.

Hmm... as for dex size, maybe Kalos's was a little too massive so one that was smaller and undivided would be nice, with mostly new Pokemon. Maybe they should pull a BW again so we can step away from using our favorites and only include new Pokemon.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • My theories?

120 or so new Pokemon.
    Mega Meganium/Typhlosion/Feraligatr.
    New England (the US states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont)-based region.
    Fossils based on prehistoric mammals (I'd like to see any TWO of the following [note: Wikipedia is your friend]: Doedicurus, Elasmotherium, Giant Ground Sloth, Woolly Mammoth, Irish Elk, Smilodon).
    Starters being a Grass-Type Koala, a Fire-Type Satyr, a and Water-Type Hippo. Not sure about secondary typing after evolving, but I would prefer Grass/Dark, Fire/Fairy, and Water/Steel.
    Legendary Mascots based on gods from Egyptian myth.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mega Johto starters should be a-OK, if you ask me. Sinnoh's will get their own eventually, but I'm sure that, unlike Johto, they'll be having their remakes coming up in newer future, and that's when they'd be able to introduce mega-evolution for their starters.

Years
  • My theories?

120 or so new Pokemon.
    New England (the US states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont)-based region.
    Fossils based on prehistoric mammals (I'd like to see any TWO of the following [note: Wikipedia is your friend]: Doedicurus, Elasmotherium, Giant Ground Sloth, Woolly Mammoth, Irish Elk, Smilodon).
    Starters being a Grass-Type Koala, a Fire-Type Satyr, a and Water-Type Hippo. Not sure about secondary typing after evolving, but I would prefer Grass/Dark, Fire/Fairy, and Water/Steel.
    I think that Johto Mega starters may be revealed for ORAS soon. Or perhaps they'll replace the Kanto starters in any XY sequels if they make them.

Now I wonder what the names of the Gen VII games will be. Perhaps Pokemon 0 and 1? Based off of computer code.

Years
  • My theories?

120 or so new Pokemon.
    I forgot to address the rest.
    I like the ideas for starters brought up. A Satyr could be likely if the Fire starter being based off of Zodiac animals (with the Honey Badger (Typhlosion) being the rat's substitute, and the Fox (Delphox) being the dog's substitute) is a real theme as Satyrs are part horse.
    As for typings perhaps Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground for the Koala, maybe even Grass/Fairy. Fire/Fighting sounds possible for the Satyr as they tend to get into fights in most myths. Maybe Fire/Dark as some are sneaky.
    The water starter can be Water/Ground or Water/Steel as you said.

As for the region, another US region in the Northeast may lead into speculation on a return to Unova. Though some did mention earlier wanting to go to another region like in GSCHgSs. So a New England based region may help with that. Though I imagine such a region would be big enough on it's own. If that is what they end up basing it off of, and have a return to Unova I'll like it to take place during Gen I and III's spot in the time line. Then we can maybe get a less industrial version of Unova.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I believe introducing one-twenty new Pokémon would be a little too much. There's already a ton of them out there, which is very tough to capture, and becomes even tougher day-by-day as they introduce new generations and whatnot. If you ask me, a good middle-ground would be around thirty to forty. As for rest, they could always fill them up with things such as mega-evolutions and whatnot.

As for another US-based region, I personally wouldn't mind it, but others might, as we've had Unova very recently, which is also based off an US location, if I'm not mistaken, haha.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I used to hear rumours about a region based on Southeast Asia. Honestly speaking, I cannot imagine how that region would look like...

I will very much prefer another region based on Europe, maybe Germany? Or perhaps the West Coast of the United States.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    I feel like it would be quite interesting to finally be able to join the villain team for once. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wanted to join Team Plasma. It would be an interesting change of pace, as, instead of journeying across the land, earning badges and stopping villain teams, you'd go on missions, trying to accomplish your team's goals while perhaps fighting a few of your former friends.

That'll never happen though, since Pokemon games seem to favor a certain kind of heroic player character.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • I've heard rumours (from this very website in fact!) that they are going to focus on simplicity.

I'm thinking that means like getting rid of things that has similar effects,
    like getting rid of Miracle Seed, Charcoal, Mystic Water, Etc., since the
    plates items are improtant to Arceus & have the same effect on any other
    pokemon that holds them.
    (Personally, I'd like to see them get rid of the plates & use the type-specfic
    power-up items instead to change types, because they are more orignal.)

Also, I see Reshiram, Zekrom & the Black & White Kyurems having Mold Breaker
    instead of Turboblaze & Teravolt, as they do the same exact thing.

Although, I'd rather these changes happen:
    Turboblaze:
    Gives prioty to Fire-Type attacks.
    (A fire-typed Gale Wings counterpart.)

Teravolt:
    Allows Electic-type attacks to hit Ground-Types.
    (Like Scrappy, but for Electric moves.)

Years
  • I like the idea of introducing more evolution to previous lines like Gen 2 and Gen 4.

Though, I don't want this region to be another conglomerate of past generation as XY was, even though it worked well...it would be a bit repetitive.

Also, the thing that makes games unique more than anything are the new pokemon. I prefer a smaller regional dex. (then the sky is the limit for a post-dex).

Limiting the number of pokemon in a region preserves the idiosyncracies, aka charm/uniqueness, of the region.

I'm thinking 50-65 brand new pokemon (not existing from a previous line), 15-25 new evolutions, and 20-25 new mega evolutions would give us a total of around 100 new additions without overwhelming the cumulative total.

Then, a reboot generation, similar to gen 3, not gen 5, as far as # of pokemon, might be a necessary way to refresh the series in generation 8. That would be released a year or few after the next handheld console is released in 8 or so years from now.

Wow, I will be 30ish by then! (And hopefully a better professor than the great Oak himself.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I feel like it would be quite interesting to finally be able to join the villain team for once. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wanted to join Team Plasma. It would be an interesting change of pace, as, instead of journeying across the land, earning badges and stopping villain teams, you'd go on missions, trying to accomplish your team's goals while perhaps fighting a few of your former friends.

That'll never happen though, since Pokemon games seem to favor a certain kind of heroic player character.

The closest thing we'd ever been to joining a villainous group was in HeartGold and SoulSilver, when we went undercover dressing up as Team Rocket member to do some mission. It was very interesting, but too bad that it lasted only for a limited amount of time.

If they were to incorporate this sort of thing again in future games, that would be pretty cool! However, one thing that I'm hoping for is for them to have it last even longer, and perhaps have us go even deeper than doing just one undercover mission or anything of the like. I don't have any idea on what could possibly be done, though; these are just my thoughts.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I really want the next Pokemon generation to be non-linear. I want them to make it so that you can dictate where you go and what order you do things in. I understand that making a non-linear game is hard, especially with checking flag data and all that. But it can be done and allows you to make the Pokemon world more unique to your play style.

Pokemon X and Y could have been non-linear. It wouldn't have been very difficult. Most of the events concerning Team Flare could happen in any order and there would be no difference. The only one that I think needs to be done first is the one where you meet Team Flare for the first time in the cave. But aside from the end scenario, none of the other events hinge on the previous one. They're just a bunch of isolated missions carried out by Team Flare.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yes, that would indeed be nice. I'm not sure if I could think of a term for this, but I also believe that it'd be quite enjoyable for (many) people if they'd focused their story-line around choices that players make. Of course, not each and every result would be too distinct, but it would still be interesting if they would allow us to give us such power and whatnot, as I feel that it'd be adding more realism.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • The thing about non linear games is that it tends to confuse kids these days so maybe GF tries to create games that are linear for kids to finish the games more easily. Remember that these games are made (i think) for 10 year olds

Years
  • The thing about non linear games is that it tends to confuse kids these days so maybe GF tries to create games that are linear for kids to finish the games more easily. Remember that these games are made (i think) for 10 year olds

more ten year olds are starting to play non-linear games, at least that's what it seems like these days where I live.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back