• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen VII speculation, new features and discussion thread

Where do you want the Next Generation of pokemon to be based in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
Years
  • I think water, fire, grass, and electric starter choices would be a nice twist.

I enjoyed seeing Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, and Pikachu in their basic stage in the Kanto Anime. Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow feels more complete, albeit, not a rock-paper-scissors matchup.

Though, I don't know how my nostalgic side would recieve a game that didn't offer at least the grass, fire, water choices!

Another alternative would be a Water/Grass, Grass/Fire, Fire/Water trio. This could certainly have mixed receptions by longtime fans, but it could be pulled off.

Aside from starters, I would love to see a Coastal Mediterranean Region. Start in Spain, move down to Italy, then go along the perimeter through Greece, Israel (Palestine), Egypt, Add the Congo somewhere near Algeria/Libya (I'm sorry I need a jungle!), Morocco, Portugal, then surf out to Cyprus for the E4. I love the ancient history in this part of the world (branching from the Fertile Crescent/Mesopotamia, and converging continents. It would be refreshing to take a step back from the modernized regions based on Modern-day US and France.

Also, XY, though I LOVE it, was too...French. I would have preferred a mixture of cultural influences, like England, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, ect.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting rid of Grass, Water and Fire type starters completely. Like Another trio of types that work like Fire -> Grass -> Water -> Fire.

And an African based region would be awesome. An Australian based region would be equally as good.

And I was also thinking of another feature that could be interesting to have in Gen 7. Making the starters harder to evolve. Make the first evolution a level based one, and then the second evolution be a stone evolution, but have the stone needed to evolve it, late into the game. That way, people won't have freaking...Charizards before the 3rd gym (this was just an example, and I have once grinded up my starter so much I had it fully evolved before the third gym). It could make pokemon more interesting.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I was thinking more along the lines of getting rid of Grass, Water and Fire type starters completely. Like Another trio of types that work like Fire -> Grass -> Water -> Fire.

Yes, that would be nice! Those are their basic types, but had they moved away from it for a while, I'm sure it would be a nice change of pace; many fans of appreciate it. As far as typing goes, what about psychic, fighting, and dark? Psychic is super-effective against fighting, fighting against dark, and dark against psychic. If they'd still like to keep their basic type-group, perhaps they would be able to have these become part grass, fire, and water, respectively, once they evolve and whatnot.

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
    Years
  • Yes, that would be nice! Those are their basic types, but had they moved away from it for a while, I'm sure it would be a nice change of pace; many fans of appreciate it. As far as typing goes, what about psychic, fighting, and dark? Psychic is super-effective against fighting, fighting against dark, and dark against psychic. If they'd still like to keep their basic type-group, perhaps they would be able to have these become part grass, fire, and water, respectively, once they evolve and whatnot.

Yep. I was thinking along the lines of Dark, Psychic and Fighting. That would work I guess. But maybe have it so the secondary typing is super effective to the secondary type of the starter that is strong against it. (E.G. Psychic/Grass, Dark/Water, Fighting/Fire)

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • If GFis running out of ideas why dont they take some ideas from the manga. Like making the protags special by letting them have powers or even a trainer level so that they could grow along with the pokemon theyre using. That would totally change the game but it makes a lot more sense that a kid with special powers can beat an organization than a kid can beat an organization with only a maximum of 6 pokemon at hand

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I wonder if Pokemon will take the bond thing further and have the player fuse with their Pokemon to create something more powerful (yes even more than a simple Mega). I have a feeling it won't be liked though...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If GFis running out of ideas why dont they take some ideas from the manga. Like making the protags special by letting them have powers or even a trainer level so that they could grow along with the pokemon theyre using. That would totally change the game but it makes a lot more sense that a kid with special powers can beat an organization than a kid can beat an organization with only a maximum of 6 pokemon at hand

Trainer level sounds pretty intriguing, if you ask me! Though, what does it do actually? Does it limit you from battling certain type of trainers until you reach a particular level? Does it allow you to unlock more things when you level yourself up? As for special powers, I'm not too fond of that, sadly. Pokémon is purely fictional, I understand, but it's still got a mix of realism added into their games, so once this is done, it would sort of help taking that away, and I'm sure some fans wouldn't want that.

Proud To Be A Brony said:
    Yep. I was thinking along the lines of Dark, Psychic and Fighting. That would work I guess. But maybe have it so the secondary typing is super effective to the secondary type of the starter that is strong against it. (E.G. Psychic/Grass, Dark/Water, Fighting/Fire)

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm sort of on the fence about fighting/fire, however, since as far as starters go, we already have about three of those.

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
    Years
  • Yeah, that makes sense. I'm sort of on the fence about fighting/fire, however, since as far as starters go, we already have about three of those.

It doesn't have to be fighting/fire, I was just using that as an example haha. Another good thing could be travelling to the other regions, I know the computing power would have to be pretty freaking big to add more than 2 regions, but that would be awesome. Being able to travel back to a few other regions. That hasn't been done since G/S/C (yes I know they did it in HG/SS but I don't count that, seeing as it's just a remake of the generation that originally did that.)

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
  • Probably an open world with more JRPG elements would make the game non-repetitive. I want to join the villainous team, maybe become a breeder, or a gym leader perhaps. This would be great. And also, more Mega Evolutions!

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Trainers could easily affect move execution like if your trainer level is low and you have a high leveled pokemon the moves will likely miss. It could also be extended to breeding, capturing and also constests if they put an effort to actually make this work. It could really change the game but in a good way.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think we'll get more than 72 pokemon (There's been a pattern of high-low-high-low-high-low) but probably still not as many as we got in Kanto, Hoenn or Unova. Something like 100-110 probably. Since they'll probably count megas as new pokemon....

I think my preference for a region would be one based on Africa, India, Australia or Ireland + UK (last one is personal bias)

Have we brought up the strange souvenir yet? It makes me think they were at least in the planning stages for the next generation when X & Y were finishing development.

Years
  • I need to ask is the NEW 3DS 9th gen or not? I know people are calling it the Dsi of the 3DS but the 3DS did not have DSi only games. (As far as I know) It did have the online only games but NEW 3DS seems to be getting new physical games. So could it be like the GBC all over again? Like has it been confirmed this is still 8th gen? Would be cool to see a new Pokemon gen. (Hoping it is out in 2016 and not 2015 due to starting a new gen on the 20th anniversary would be really cool.)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I need to ask is the NEW 3DS 9th gen or not? I know people are calling it the Dsi of the 3DS but the 3DS did not have DSi only games. (As far as I know) It did have the online only games but NEW 3DS seems to be getting new physical games. So could it be like the GBC all over again? Like has it been confirmed this is still 8th gen? Would be cool to see a new Pokemon gen. (Hoping it is out in 2016 and not 2015 due to starting a new gen on the 20th anniversary would be really cool.)

I'm not sure either, I don't think they've mentioned that at all. I'm guessing it's going to be a Game Boy/Game Boy Colour situation again.

If I had any doubts about the 7th gen being on the 3DS they've almost all been cleared up now with announcement of these new 3DS.

Years
  • I'm not sure either, I don't think they've mentioned that at all. I'm guessing it's going to be a Game Boy/Game Boy Colour situation again.

If I had any doubts about the 7th gen being on the 3DS they've almost all been cleared up now with announcement of these new 3DS.

Yeah at first I was ehh on it being a new gen since it is not HD but Vita is HD and yet 3DS still beat it. so I guess being more powerful doesn't mean better in the long run.

I'm all for shorter console runs myself. Gen 7 lasted too long for me. As for regions I hope we see a Canada region or an Italy one.

Or even a California one. Heck they have enough parts of the world for like 6 more games lol

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • The only things I'm hoping for gen7 are:
    -Farfetch'd 's pre-evo and Evolution
    -Jynx's Evolution
    -Hopefully a pokemon that connects Luvdisc and Alomomola
    -If not on ORAS... Mega Dragonite and Mega Hydreigon.
    -Dragon/Steel/Poison Eeveelutions.
    -No new types.
    -South America-based Region.

Years
  • I'm hoping for things that were missing in Unova and Kalos to return, like the Game Corner, Safari Zone, etc. Also, we've had 1 cross-generational relative in the last two generations COMBINED. Why not have more, there are still Pokemon that could use 'em, *cough* Parasect *cough*.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Trainers could easily affect move execution like if your trainer level is low and you have a high leveled pokemon the moves will likely miss. It could also be extended to breeding, capturing and also constests if they put an effort to actually make this work. It could really change the game but in a good way.

Yeah, that does sound like a nice idea. While I can't imagine such things to affect our competitive scene, it could still make some major impact in-game, and have us spend more time playing so that we could maximize our trainer levels and whatnot. Personally, though, I'd like it better had they called it "ranks," since levels seem to relate more to Pokémon themselves than anything.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Yeah, that does sound like a nice idea. While I can't imagine such things to affect our competitive scene, it could still make some major impact in-game, and have us spend more time playing so that we could maximize our trainer levels and whatnot. Personally, though, I'd like it better had they called it "ranks," since levels seem to relate more to Pokémon themselves than anything.

Well there was a reference that pokemon and humans were once the same so it would fit the game quite nicely. I believe this could also affect the competitive scene since levels could generally make moves more powerful and weak depending on how high the level or even increase the chances of the player to land critical hits to the opponent. I hope GF could see our posts and take them into consideration lol

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think we'll get more than 72 pokemon (There's been a pattern of high-low-high-low-high-low) but probably still not as many as we got in Kanto, Hoenn or Unova. Something like 100-110 probably. Since they'll probably count megas as new pokemon....

I think my preference for a region would be one based on Africa, India, Australia or Ireland + UK (last one is personal bias)

Have we brought up the strange souvenir yet? It makes me think they were at least in the planning stages for the next generation when X & Y were finishing development.

I think since Gen VI (XY) involved less Pokemon ideas, and more programming, plus the fact that they probably have been thinking about Gen VI since BW that GF had extra time to start thinking on Gen VII by the time they were finishing XY like you said.

Let's see since we already have 4 Japan (Asia) regions, 1 US (North America), and 1 France (Europe) how about South America? Or perhaps another North American region, but this time based on Mexico, or perhaps Canada.
    I have a feeling they may go with another European region, the reason I say this is that they left Xerneas'/Yvetal's resting place a secret in XY. If it's not explained in 'Z' they could go in depth with it next generation. Perhaps a region based on France or Germany.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back