• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @Albunie I had an early version of a Persona RP that I was working on, I think I may have deleted it though :(

@Magic, I swear I wrote about sizes at one point :| I was thinking that they're all about 18 meters tall and by diversity of possible characters do you mean like characters already inside the plot?

I meant more, how will Robots in general look different? In the T franchise colour plays an important part - but the main identifier is their vehicle. How might these robots differ? Does colour play a role? Are they all bipedal? Etc. maybe describe some of the NPC robots to give players some guidelines or ideas :)

UPDATEUPDATE:

Spoiler:

Any further feedback would be appreciated :) The sign-up is basically what I've added, it's a bit more involved than standard SUs I think. Hoping it's not too laborious :).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    I meant more, how will Robots in general look different? In the T franchise colour plays an important part - but the main identifier is their vehicle. How might these robots differ? Does colour play a role? Are they all bipedal? Etc. maybe describe some of the NPC robots to give players some guidelines or ideas :)

UPDATEUPDATE:

Spoiler:

Any further feedback would be appreciated :) The sign-up is basically what I've added, it's a bit more involved than standard SUs I think. Hoping it's not too laborious :).

The Borrowers in an Anime too?! I never even knew that!

Anywho, I'm definitely interested, Magic! Although I may need to watch that Anime first (I just searched it up, it's called Secret World of Arrietty. However, I do have knowledge on The Borrowers by Mary Norton). Would we be allowed to create pets for the household? Like a cat that may pop up at anytime during a night raid?

Also, this is no big deal, but in the 'Your Character' section, is says the new human in Forest Lodge is 'along'. I think you meant to say 'alone'? It's no biggie (please don't hurt me), just thought you would want to know :/ Also, there's no personality section for the SU?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    The Borrowers in an Anime too?! I never even knew that!

Anywho, I'm definitely interested, Magic! Although I may need to watch that Anime first (I just searched it up, it's called Secret World of Arrietty. However, I do have knowledge on The Borrowers by Mary Norton). Would we be allowed to create pets for the household? Like a cat that may pop up at anytime during a night raid?

Also, this is no big deal, but in the 'Your Character' section, is says the new human in Forest Lodge is 'along'. I think you meant to say 'alone'? It's no biggie (please don't hurt me), just thought you would want to know :/ Also, there's no personality section for the SU?

Oops spelling XD yeah, pets and stuff would be fine :).

I have something against personality sections, I'd be looking for the personality in the roleplay sample instead - I feel like it's a much more realistic situation, since personality can be incredibly diverse and hard to explain. This way it also makes personality a lot more fluid and allows for change. ^_^

Hackenfall Backslash

The weirdest mofo you'll ever meet . . . seriously
    Years
  • I have something against personality sections, I'd be looking for the personality in the roleplay sample instead - I feel like it's a much more realistic situation, since personality can be incredibly diverse and hard to explain. This way it also makes personality a lot more fluid and allows for change. ^_^
    There needs to be an applause smiley, because you deserve one for this post.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've often asked people to list a couple of positive and negative traits they define their character through, instead of typing up jumbled paragraphs of text about how they behave in a particular situation. I think, as long as you've pinned down the basic characteristics of the person you'll be playing, your history and sample sections can serve to flesh those traits out and also explain how they came to be.

Years
  • Basically I watched Btooom! which inspired me to re-invent my very first roleplay and incorporate elements from the Btooom! anime (which is amazing btw). I feel as though this re-imagining of my pokemon survival RP fixes a lot of the flaws the original had. The CSS is still a work in progress so I just organised it and added a picture and some fancy text but I'll change it to be more appealing later.

Spoiler:

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • Alright, so! Albunnie and I are in the middle of creating an RP, that should hopefully pop in here within a few weeks, depending on how hard we're working on it, but I wanted to just throw a quick teaser in here and hear if you guys had any constructive criticism to share, or just let me know if you're interested enough in the concept to give it a look ^^ So, without further ado!

Kanto. Civilization has reached its peak. Disease and hunger have more or less been wiped out and the humans are living in what is more or less a technological utopia. Large cities, advanced technology and hope as far as the eye can see. This makes it all the more puzzling as to how civilization as a whole crashed and burned all around the same time.

Three hundred years later, present day, the lifestyle of the humans has changed drastically and basically reverted to a medieval sort of society. Blacksmiths, markets, a kingdom, a queen, soldiers, weapons and all that jazz. There are no records and nobody knows or remembers what exactly happened. Nothing but the ruins of the once great cities remain of the past, along with limited knowledge in books, scrolls and the like on Pokémon. Because Pokémon have, in fact, disappeared completely around the same time as the 'Great Disaster' occurred.

However, as calm as life in this medieval society seems, a threat looms in the horizon. There's a war brewing, mysterious creatures are stirring, and something other-worldly is going to reach out and try to save humanity, but in a way you wouldn't quite expect.

So, aside from my little spiel, this seems like a pretty standard fantasy-mystery-sandboxy type thing, yeah? Well, you're right. But! The thing we have, that I at least, personally haven't seen before, is an idea sprouted from a series of images that originated from instagram; https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8248963840/h724D449B/

Basically, our 'gimmick', or 'mechanic' for this RP, is that the players will be recieving a Pokémon-Soul-Imbued weapon of their own creation (Or picked from a large number of images from the creator of the images above; http://instagram.com/rebusalpa ) and will be using this to train and help try to avert disaster. Keep in mind, this is a very bare-bones way of explaining it, and we have several twists, turns, ideas and plots planned for this RP, once it hopefully goes live.

What do you guys think? Interesting? Cliché? If you have any comments, throw 'em in here, or alternatively, send me or Albunnie a PM or VM and let me know what's on your mind! ^_^

Reactions: SV
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I can see the FFX inspiration! I really like the idea of these pokemon-inspired weapons. Are the creatures pokemon or something unknown? Do the weapons have a direct tie to the pokemon, or merely inspired by the ancient scrolls/legends? :)

Sounds very intriguing, I'd like to know more :o, once you get there!

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • I can see the FFX inspiration! I really like the idea of these pokemon-inspired weapons. Are the creatures pokemon or something unknown? Do the weapons have a direct tie to the pokemon, or merely inspired by the ancient scrolls/legends? :)

Sounds very intriguing, I'd like to know more :o, once you get there!

It definitely has a bit of Final Fantasy and just general fantasy stuff as inspiration! The creatures are something unknown, and in this setting, regular animals like dogs, cats, cows, etc. are actually in the world.

The weapons -do- have a direct tie to the Pokémon. Basically nobody in the world knows about them, and I don't want to give too much away, but there is sort of kind of a tiny bit of Power Rangers influence here too :P But basically, the weapons are the weaponized souls of specific Pokémon!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This isn't cliché at all imo! It's amazing, really. You are planning on making it a very plot-based RP, or? Not like a free journey thingy. At least it sounds like it might have a really deep, mysterious plot that players would really have fun diving into.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • We're definitely working on having a plot, or several plots in the RP, but I guess if the players wanna do something other than what's laid out in front of them, we could figure something out ;P

Plumbum

The Dandy Highwayman (That You're Too Scared to Me
    Years
  • So, hidden in the spoiler is an idea of an RP I've been mulling for a while. It's called Lunea's Veil and well... this is the lore for the place. Should give you a good idea for what I'm going for.
    Spoiler:

The RP is going to be based around great restriction to player knowledge - how much the players know about Lunea is probably the defining factor to their survival - but it should also show its roots - I originally envisioned it as a game in which Pokémon meets the survival-horror genre and perhaps we could explore exactly how brutal pokémon could be together... So... this begs the question - does the darkness look like an inviting place to step into?

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    @Plumbum

even if we somehow manage to get over it, we're all afraid of the dark at one point in our lives. That setting's going to make for an attractive horror-Pokemon mix RP; I think we've had those before, and they also had that unique setting. Pressure, old RP that has died now, is the first that comes to mind - you might want to check it out, get some ideas.

It'd be cool if you blasted us with some plot - were there any operations the humans running? Any notable people, leaders of expeditions that survived? Had they tried to contact the outside world conventionally? What about now, is communication available? I think mainly trying to find a way back home isn't all you can do with this setting. As there are many questions regarding Lunea (why is it perpetually dark in that place? Why wasn't it found earlier, what concealed it? Is humanity able to map it?), there would be many people trying to answer them. If, say, some researchers were killed by the wilds, the players could happen upon their research and continue it while learning more of Lunea.

I'm also curious to learn of what the humans know of the landscape of Lunea. How long ago exactly did the humans arrive, and how much of it have they explored? I assume it may have been some time, if the characters could be normal citizens - because that would mean that the humans settled down in a city. If not, they would have to be scientists or geographers or any other type of researcher that arrived with a group on Lunea.

And what of the wild Pokemon? Are they dark-oriented? Do they have any special features that set them apart from the rest, apart from them being bloodthirsty? How did they defy the light that was supposed to keep them away, and why were they kept away from it in the first place?

Admittedly, your setting has sparked many questions in me, but I think you've made the start towards a solid story.

NyxShooter

drifting wanderer
    Years
  • Spoiler:

While I think this is a great RP idea, I am really curious as to see how you would go about setting restrictions for players, and how you would incorporate a starter Pokemon into a ravenous continent. Message me if you want to expand upon it. I would also like to see some more plot, such as the backstory as to why these pokemon are vicious. This is only a suggestion, no need to take me up on it. You have a good day now.

Plumbum

The Dandy Highwayman (That You're Too Scared to Me
    Years
  • @Plumbum

even if we somehow manage to get over it, we're all afraid of the dark at one point in our lives. That setting's going to make for an attractive horror-Pokemon mix RP; I think we've had those before, and they also had that unique setting. Pressure, old RP that has died now, is the first that comes to mind - you might want to check it out, get some ideas.
    Glad to see you like the concept, and I'll be sure to check out the thread you linked.

It'd be cool if you blasted us with some plot - were there any operations the humans running? Any notable people, leaders of expeditions that survived?
    The most part of human operation is in the field of research. When humans turned up, apart from the violent pokémon, there was something else amiss - the bodies of dead pokémon were very commonly found around Lunea - more than any natural phenomenon should kill, some fresh corpses and some old husks, but almost all without wounds that one would expect from fighting - most scientists are trying to find out what is killing the wild Pokémon in Lunea. As for the expeditions bit, the more well known one is of David Blackwood - but only because he charged in with a team of elite trainers before any formal expeditions had been mounted. He's been unheard from seen since he left.

Had they tried to contact the outside world conventionally? What about now, is communication available?
    All you can be sure of is that communications in Daybreak City are down, as the rest of the power is. Before the disaster, Lunea was in regular contact with the mainland.

I think mainly trying to find a way back home isn't all you can do with this setting. As there are many questions regarding Lunea
    There are, and I'll address them one-by-one.

why is it perpetually dark in that place? Why wasn't it found earlier, what concealed it?
    Both spoilers. I can't say.

Is humanity able to map it?
    There has been some limited mapping - Humans have only spread to the southern parts of the isle, leaving the entire north unmapped due to the dangers.

there would be many people trying to answer them. If, say, some researchers were killed by the wilds, the players could happen upon their research and continue it while learning more of Lunea.
    There is also a good chance that players are some of the researchers. But there will certainly be artifacts of many kinds to discover and the darkness of Lunea's veil of secrecy is not iron-clad... the players will certainly know more about Lunea as the plot progresses.

And what of the wild Pokemon? Are they dark-oriented? Do they have any special features that set them apart from the rest, apart from them being bloodthirsty?
    Pokémon in Lunea have about the same kind of species spread that any other region would have and for the most part aren't all that special - although Lunea's past has created some.... standout pokémon, shall we call them? Not saying any more, because spoilers.

How did they defy the light that was supposed to keep them away, and why were they kept away from it in the first place?
    The light that kept them away is suspected to work by simply taking advantage of the pokémon being night-adjusted to the point that any source of light causes illness in a Lunean pokémon.

I'm also curious to learn of what the humans know of the landscape of Lunea. How long ago exactly did the humans arrive, and how much of it have they explored?
    I mentioned in the plot, 10 yrs ago the humans arrived - this means that no character in the RP is going to be a native to the island. Similarly, the environment of Lunea is pretty diverse, in human-known territory, although we don't quite have snowtops and deserts next to each other, we can have some places with quite different ecosystems. Should be more info on that come the RP itself.

I assume it may have been some time, if the characters could be normal citizens - because that would mean that the humans settled down in a city. If not, they would have to be scientists or geographers or any other type of researcher that arrived with a group on Lunea.

That's not the only kind of person that showed up. Think about it, a land known to have lots of dangerous pokémon? At the very least you have trainers being employed and brought in as bodyguards to the researchers - not to mention a kind of extreme tourism has become popular of elite trainers purposely going into the wilds of Lunea. They even have experiments to do with Lunea truly being habitable or otherwise, where they've brought in citizens from other regions - if you can think of a good reason to add your character into Lunea, then fire at will.

Admittedly, your setting has sparked many questions in me, but I think you've made the start towards a solid story.

and once again, thanks a load for the feedback Ray!

While I think this is a great RP idea, I am really curious as to see how you would go about setting restrictions for players, and how you would incorporate a starter Pokemon into a ravenous continent.
    Well, simply put I won't be incorporating starters. I'd like to stress that I am not making a journey RP out of this - if the players so wish they can even have a team of up to six pokémon like the actual games (although with the PC network down in the disaster, no more than that), but I would forewarn anyone that a strong team is not necessarily an advantage.

Message me if you want to expand upon it. I would also like to see some more plot, such as the backstory as to why these pokemon are vicious. This is only a suggestion, no need to take me up on it. You have a good day now.
    I appreciate the offer, but I seem to have inadvertently found a partner for this yesterday thanks to that miracle that is Skype. And as I said previously in this post, I can't tell you why they're violent - you're not meant to know when the RP starts...

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Here's the completed version of one of the roleplays I posted here a little while ago. Some things are still subject to change, such as the possibly over sized playable map, and I don't think I'll be posting it just yet, as I'm not sure if the proper audience is available to partake in it. Just to avoid any misconceptions, it is a play as pokémon roleplay.

Spoiler:

Pterosauria

Not a dinosaur
    Years
  • So, this idea has been in the works for quite a while now - It's supposed to be something of a journey rp, in that you go out and collect gym badges and such, but with a bit of a twist to it. Because twists are fun :)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So, this idea has been in the works for quite a while now - It's supposed to be something of a journey rp, in that you go out and collect gym badges and such, but with a bit of a twist to it. Because twists are fun :)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Sounds cool! I like journeys with a twist. Were you planning on making it some sort of chaptered RP or just go along and move from place to place in a simpler fashion?

And also whoa, can players die?

Pterosauria

Not a dinosaur
    Years
  • I'll be honest and say I haven't even an inkling as to what a chaptered roleplay is. That said, it'll quite likely be a fairly linear thing, given the setting for it.

And yes, players can, and will die. If I go with the system, I'm thinking of using at the moment, they'll probably get offed at a rate of at least one-per-gym. (That said, they'll probably be some kind of safety net, at least early on - having your character die too early on can be something of a buzz-kill.)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Chaptered is just a tedious term that has grown here :p Check Crossroads for an example. Basically, once you step into the new chapter, you either can't go back or you'll be annoying if you go back. Or something like that.

Okay, that sounds like a challenge :) Yeah, as long as people are prepared that they might have to drop out after a while due to getting killed. Or maybe the dead players could be given another role in the RP?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back