• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Just saying, but centralization is never used as the main argument for a Pokemon's ban. Landorus is definitely the hardest volt turn mon to beat, since Celebi and Gastrodon smash all the others, but it will keep U-Turing, so just get Rocks up early and it will die.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well I read multiple times that centralization lead to most of them, and it sounds pretty logical to me too.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I think the best way to describe centralization is the symptom, not the disease. If something is very centralizing, it should be looked at suspiciously, but ultimately there will always be a lot of centralization because all Pokemon are inherently unequal and there are going to be ones that need way more preparation than others. It's a natural byproduct of any good metagame. It's also impossible to quantify which makes arguing it dangerously subjective. To me, a broken Pokemon is one that still dominates despite the centralization it causes--centralization that should in theory stop that Pokemon from dominating. This is usually when Pokemon fail the "eye test."

So yeah, that's my take!!!!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hi, I just wanted to point out that centralization is always present and therefore should never ever be the basis of an argument for a ban. When this centralizing mon is banned, what do you think will happen? The metagame will spread its wings and be perfectly balanced? Of course not. Something else will become popular and the metagame will become centralized around it, which - based on the precedent set by banning something because it centralizes the metagame - will be banned, leading to that snowball effect. It's not as simple as saying "oh the metagame is impacted largely because of it" because every good Pokemon does that to the metagame. I like Anti's wording: "It's a natural byproduct of any good metagame". You also must remember that Smogon works to ban the least amount of Pokemon as possible; just because something isn't enjoyable to deal with doesn't make it banworthy.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Going with what Vrai said. Centralization is completely fine because that's basically what OU is all about. I'm afraid what's bad is "over-centralization" when a Pokemon is too strong for most teams to handle and breaks the metagame. There's a discussion like this in Smogon and I believe banned ubers such as Blaziken and Garchomp are considered as "over-centralized." So what I'm basically saying is that centralization is completely fine as compared to "over-centralization," which is not, and is bad.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Don't you guys hate that moment when you don't want to battle earlier when everyone else is on and willing to battle and then you get the urge to battle later on when literally nobody you can find wants to battle and you don't want to go to Smogon because you'll just end up annoyed? Yeah, life sucks, etc.

As for centralization, idgaf about the terms, all I know is it's annoying to face... and that if you can't beat them, join them, etc. I'll be happy when generation six comes along, destroying volturn and making something new & fun! /optimism to lead to disappointment

Froslass

Ice Champion
Years
Creating a successful team~

Hello there, here is a guide on how to build a successful team. A successful team isn't about power, it's about tactics as well.​

Why isn't a team just about power?
Many people may ask this question. It's not just about power, it's about speed, defense and tactics. You may have a strong attack Pokêmon team, but is that enough? With your team, try and mix there abilities up a bit, such as 2 attack Pokêmon, 2 defense and 2 speed. This way, you have a more chance of 'showing' off your skill.

How can it help me?
There is all sorts of ways it can help you! Have you ever had a battle where you have 2 very strong Pokêmon, but the rest are very weak? Well, suppose if the 2 fainted, and you only had the attack team, the rest may not do well. So how can it help?
So imagine that situation again, but replace them with 2 defense and 2 speed, you may have a chance of beating them. Why? If you think about speed, you may have a higher speed, giving you an advantage to do a move such as Thunder Wave, Fire spin, Whirlpool and more, these moves inflict damage on each turn, giving you a higher chance of winning.
So what are the defense for? The defense Pokêmon can be good because the challenger may attack, normally on a attacking move, they could faint in one hit, but in a defense, it may take several turns, also, you never know, it may give you time to heal your 2 fainted Pokêmon if you have revives, potions etc.

So what Pokêmon are good for a successful team?
There are a range of Pokêmon you could use for a team, but here is an example of mixed abilities...
Metagross- Attack Pokêmon
Blissey- Health Pokêmon
Gardevoir- Special Attack Pokêmon
Linoone- Speed Pokêmon
Salamence- Attack Pokêmon
Venusaur- Special attack/defense Pokêmon

That is just an example of a mixed abilities team.

What moves can help me progress?
Thunder Wave
Fire Spin
Sleep Powder
Whirlpool
Poison Powder
These moves can help you, they may give you a advantage, so now, you are a lot closer on becoming the greatest trainer.

AND REMEMBER that legendary Pokêmon may be very strong, but with a tactic team, you won't need them! It just takes patience training them up to the standard that you want. Remember, patience is the key. And also, this may seem dumb, but feed poffins/pokêblocks to your Pokêmon, even though there is battling, you have to bond with them as well, so try and make your Pokêmon more happy!

Next tutorials-
Achieving ribbons
Gym battles
Catching Pokêmon
Training Pokêmon

Please leave more suggestions and improvements for me so I can take them into account, and if there were any other tutorials that you would like.​

EDIT- May someone move this to the Competitive Battle chat thread? Sorry *-* Didn't read it properly.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I know my butt is superior to any PO server, but when it's you saying that my hearts skips a beat <3

Aww. :3 But you still should come on PO though. ;;

Mmmm DA being so demanding <3

Developed hate for Landorus AND Tornadus btw.

You know you love it dear. <33

You also love Tornadobrooooo
641.png

His muscles still arent as big as mine though lol!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I like Tornadus more than Landorus only because I can use it. Landorus, however, I can't use really. I dunno, I complain about it a lot but I can't really use it well since my aim isn't to spam u-turn. :( Tornadus on the other hand is so much fun to use on this rain team, lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hello there, here is a guide on how to build a successful team. A successful team isn't about power, it's about tactics as well.​

Why isn't a team just about power?
Many people may ask this question. It's not just about power, it's about speed, defense and tactics. You may have a strong attack Pokêmon team, but is that enough? With your team, try and mix there abilities up a bit, such as 2 attack Pokêmon, 2 defense and 2 speed. This way, you have a more chance of 'showing' off your skill.

How can it help me?
There is all sorts of ways it can help you! Have you ever had a battle where you have 2 very strong Pokêmon, but the rest are very weak? Well, suppose if the 2 fainted, and you only had the attack team, the rest may not do well. So how can it help?
So imagine that situation again, but replace them with 2 defense and 2 speed, you may have a chance of beating them. Why? If you think about speed, you may have a higher speed, giving you an advantage to do a move such as Thunder Wave, Fire spin, Whirlpool and more, these moves inflict damage on each turn, giving you a higher chance of winning.
So what are the defense for? The defense Pokêmon can be good because the challenger may attack, normally on a attacking move, they could faint in one hit, but in a defense, it may take several turns, also, you never know, it may give you time to heal your 2 fainted Pokêmon if you have revives, potions etc.

So what Pokêmon are good for a successful team?
There are a range of Pokêmon you could use for a team, but here is an example of mixed abilities...
Metagross- Attack Pokêmon
Blissey- Health Pokêmon
Gardevoir- Special Attack Pokêmon
Linoone- Speed Pokêmon
Salamence- Attack Pokêmon
Venusaur- Special attack/defense Pokêmon

That is just an example of a mixed abilities team.

What moves can help me progress?
Thunder Wave
Fire Spin
Sleep Powder
Whirlpool
Poison Powder
These moves can help you, they may give you a advantage, so now, you are a lot closer on becoming the greatest trainer.

AND REMEMBER that legendary Pokêmon may be very strong, but with a tactic team, you won't need them! It just takes patience training them up to the standard that you want. Remember, patience is the key. And also, this may seem dumb, but feed poffins/pokêblocks to your Pokêmon, even though there is battling, you have to bond with them as well, so try and make your Pokêmon more happy!

Next tutorials-
Achieving ribbons
Gym battles
Catching Pokêmon
Training Pokêmon

Please leave more suggestions and improvements for me so I can take them into account, and if there were any other tutorials that you would like.​

EDIT- May someone move this to the Competitive Battle chat thread? Sorry *-* Didn't read it properly.

That's actually a pretty good guide to battling, but I have something to say about the moves you need to progress:
-Moves like Wrap, Whirlpool and Fire Spin are rather situational because you might end up trapping a Pokemon that can counter you, forcing you to switch. (unless you're Shuckle, when you really need to damage your opponent passively, due to terrible offenses)
-Toxic >>>> Poisonpowder. Because Toxic poison increases each turn.
(I do agree with Sleep Powder and Thunder Wave on the moves to help you in battle)

Froslass

Ice Champion
Years
Aha, thank you for the tip. It was my firsts guide, I still need to improve and depth and such. :L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back