• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGPOTW s2 #6 - I Want It That Way

What is your preferred format?

• Disc

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Cartridge

• Digital Download

• Total voters

pkmin3033

Welcome to Season Two of VGPOTW! With permission from our friendly neighbourhood moderator machomuu, and the blessings of original creator El Heroe Oscuro, Video Games will once again be hosting a weekly series that pits certain video game characters, levels, and universes against one other to see which one will come out on top! This time around we'll also have some general polls to mix things up a bit, and maybe a few other things besides. So, in the words immortalised by Square Enix: please be excited!

If you have a match-up that you would like to see, whether between video game characters or worlds/universes, send me a VM or PM and I'll take note of it, and somewhen in the not-too-distant future your idea could be the feature for the week!

Also, remember the Golden Rule: expanding on your choice is fun! Don't just tell us what you voted for, tell us why you voted for it, as well as anything else you think might be relevant! Discussion is the name of the game here, people~

So, here's our poll of the week question!

What is your preferred video game format?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • By all means, discs.
    I love seeing the raising collection of boxes filling my shelves :D
    I can lend them to my gaming pals or I can borrow them.
    Eventually, I can sell them if needed.
    Plus, Limited Editions don't usually come with digital codes xD
    I don't see any disadvantage of having discs :D

I will vote for cartridges, though, because... well... Vita-tan xDD

But in this age, there's no way to completely avoid digital. Though, only through sales. I can't justify paying full price for a bunch of data I can eventually lose.
    There are exceptions. If the game is digital-only, I sometimes do buy it but it's a very rare case.
    Actually, that's one advantage of digital versions. I don't feel the need to buy them day/week 1.

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • I'm for digital downloads all the way, especially when it comes to PC gaming. I guess I can see the appeal of having a physical collection of games, but I prefer how your games are linked to an online account rather than a device. If you get a new PC for instance, there's no guarantee that the games on your discs will install on your new PC because there is often only one code that comes with the disc. I guess there are workarounds for this, but it is so much easier just to log into your Steam account on the new PC and hit install :P

Plus, there's the sales. Sales are cool (especially when you can get Civ V and all its DLC for ?8-9!) I haven't actually bought any CDs for PC since I started using Steam really.

When it comes to consoles though, my family tend to go for CDs/cartridges over digital downloads because they're not huge fans of entering their card details in online. I can see the advantages of digital downloads in this case as well though - sometimes it's on sale for less than what you would pay in the shop, there isn't the chance of going out to buy it and it not being in stock (which is what happened when I went out to get PSMD on its release date in the UK) and you can't exactly lose a digital download (which is what nearly happened to my cartridge for White 2.) There is the downside of not being able to lend/borrow digital downloads with your friends, but this doesn't really affect me seeing as I don't actually have irl friends :'(
    You also can't trade in digital games for money towards other games at places like GAME, which is what my parents do a lot when my dad gets tired of a game he thought he really wanted xD

Back