• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon XY's rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Restricted, not forbidden. Which is why I mentioned that you need (or rather supposed to get) permission to view because you can watch those if you have adult's permission.

Or you're watching at home and they just don't care hahah.

Also I can never really understand what Famon is saying and I still fail to really see any sources around, but I've never been one who cared too much about ratings anyways. I'm really just here to point out that comparing live action to anime is kinda flawed. I'll be back in my bubble enjoying the anime without thinking about all the technical things now.

And that said, because I don't care about ratings, I don't even know what you're going on about in that PS like ???????. But yeah. I don't really care enough about this topic to continue ho hum.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
As far as comparing Pokémon with other shows as far as rating goes, just compare it to shows such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Transformers and/or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and you can see that the three shows I've mentioned are more better written and have better storylines (and possibly higher ratings) than Pokémon at its current state.

As for the anime's popularity online , I went to animetoon.com and found that Pokémon XY is at 7th place with 163 votes , well behind Naurto that has 490 votes and One Piece (466 votes).

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
As far as comparing Pokémon with other shows as far as rating goes, just compare it to shows such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Transformers and/or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and you can see that the three shows I've mentioned are more better written and have better storylines (and possibly higher ratings) than Pokémon at its current state.

I get My Little Pony being an example (after all, PJTV made a pretty big deal about grown men being obsessed with it since 2012, and I'm presuming the show's still airing and not undergoing reruns based on what they're talking about), but can you give me links to any recent TMNT or Transformers cartoons for comparison. I want to make sure they are indeed comparable by being current and not reruns. Still, at least one of those is current so we probably can see the point.

As for the anime's popularity online , I went to animetoon.com and found that Pokémon XY is at 7th place with 163 votes , well behind Naurto that has 490 votes and One Piece (466 votes).

That would actually mean it's not even popular enough to be pirated online, meaning online viewings can't be the reason for any decreased ratings. Let's face it guys, at least in terms of Anime, Pokémon as a whole is in danger of cancellation. Maybe Misty being kept on wouldn't have stopped the end of the Anime, but it probably would have at least delayed the inevitable, especially when the ratings were sinking since AG, due to her removal and other countless errors the writers were making.

Years
The "R" in the R rating means "Restricted access," though, which is as close to forbidden as one can get.

I guess you have a point there. I'll try looking up ratings for Arthur (since that's another kid's show), though unfortunately, unlike NCIS where they at least post the amount of viewers on Wikipedia, Arthur doesn't have that (don't understand why). Do you have any suggestions of where I can look up TV ratings? I can't find it on there.

As far as other anime, well, Famon has it covered well.

PS. If you're going to bother that Pokémon is lowly rated because the Nielsen ratings are out the door, you can forget it, because these are Japan's ratings numbers, and Japan doesn't even use the Nielsen ratings system. That is exclusive to the United States, so Japan would have a completely different rating gathering system.

The thing is, if you're going to insist on using NCIS, you have to realize that it is, in fact, aired in Prime Time, which is a time period from roughly 6:30 PM to 10:30 PM and is targeted toward the primary television watching audience that watches TV at that time (the 18-49 male market), while Pokemon airs at a time and day in Japan when its primary demographic (children ages 5-12) is not typically going to be getting much TV time (Thursday night at 7 PM is a time when schoolwork probably gets in the way; they'd be much better off squeezing their way onto a Friday night slot for ratings).

Comparing NCIS to Pokemon is like comparing apples to oranges. A more comparable Stateside comparison would be, well, new Thursday night cartoons aimed at children on American cable networks (since none of the OTA networks air cartoons targeted at children during Prime Time anymore), since they're actually targeted at the same demographic as Pokemon is.

Also, on the Nielsen Ratings bit: Japan uses a system that is functionally the same as the Nielsen ratings in terms of how information is gathered and presented.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Considering the fact that the US and Japan rating sysytems are different enough, I don't believe shows from the two can be easily compared via those numbers. So let's not bother with that. Take Japan, Japanese shows, their ratings, and factors affecting them as completely isolated. Because for this, that's exactly how it operates. Rating are a closed system to the specific region. We can certainly discuss how Pokémon is doing in terms of ratings in the States, but again those are closed, independant events from the Japanese ratings.

When looking at statistics, one really must consider factors contributing to the numbers and compare only to truly similar things. We can compare Pokémon to its past self, that works. We can compare USA Pokémon to other shows on CN or other cable channels geared toward similar demographics. We can do the same with JP Pokémon and other things on TV Tokyo or comparable channels. Comparing the flavor of apples to the texture of oranges gives us zero real information.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Can't comment on those, but I'm pretty sure that, though please correct me on this if I'm mistaken, but Japanese schools, especially the Primary Schools (you know Elementary to Junior High), end around 2-4. That should give more than enough time to complete homework in time for the show to air even if they have extracurricular activities to attend to due to the show airing at 7 PM on Thursdays.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Can't comment on those, but I'm pretty sure that, though please correct me on this if I'm mistaken, but Japanese schools, especially the Primary Schools (you know Elementary to Junior High), end around 2-4. That should give more than enough time to complete homework in time for the show to air even if they have extracurricular activities to attend to due to the show airing at 7 PM on Thursdays.

Well it mainly depends on the child. Most schools in Japan give an questionably large amount of homework during Tuesday-Thursday. Meaning that the best time for the Pokemon Anime to have a slot on is Friday. Since you'd have Saturday to get homework done and since teachers are much more kinder on giving less homework on Fridays. It would in fact be better to have a Friday Evening timeslot. Extracurricular activities or sports can go on to about 4-6PM. Since most student placement in schools isn't determined by location, it may take some children hours to arrive at home and be expected to finish homework before Dinner. With this being the most common situation, I am surprised they haven't switched timeslots for many anime that show during the weekdays.

Years

Most American schools get out at that time, but many kids that age are in daycare until their parent/guardian picks them up, since the majority of parents in an area get off work after school gets out. And of course there are extracurricular activities that many parents put their children in (not so sure about Japanese parents, but American parents have certainly been doing this for decades).

Basically, in the typical child's day, they probably won't have their homework done in time to watch a show at 7 PM Thursday. 7 PM Friday? No problem. They'll have put off the homework for a different day of the weekend anyway.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Did Pokémon air on Thursdays during the OS (at least after the Porygon incident)? Because even with school days from Monday to Thursday, I find it extremely hard to believe that Pokémon would do THAT poorly in terms of ratings.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I get My Little Pony being an example (after all, PJTV made a pretty big deal about grown men being obsessed with it since 2012, and I'm presuming the show's still airing and not undergoing reruns based on what they're talking about), but can you give me links to any recent TMNT or Transformers cartoons for comparison. I want to make sure they are indeed comparable by being current and not reruns. Still, at least one of those is current so we probably can see the point.

I mentioned the three shows as an example of being more well written and have a better plot and/or storyline than Pokémon at its current state. And yes My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is currently in production and Transformers: Robots in Disguise is set to air in early 2015 so we have to wait and see if the show is comparable in terms of quality of writing and storyline compared to Pokémon and the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series is still in production and entering its fourth season and according to Wikipedia, the show had received positive reviews.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Positive reviews does not automatically equate to good ratings, though. And when you're talking shows from the US it really should be being compared to USA pkmn ratings rather than JP pkmn ratings.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Positive reviews does not automatically equate to good ratings, though. And when you're talking shows from the US it really should be being compared to USA pkmn ratings rather than JP pkmn ratings.

Yeah. Don't forget that The Master won the Oscars and had good reviews from professional critics, yet despite that was a huge box office bomb, and I think PJTV's Poliwood even mentioned it was horrible.

@Poke425, can you give the specific ratings for those three shows? Famon can take care of the JPN ratings comparisons to other anime.

Either way, even for the timeslot on Thursdays (and I'm pretty sure Pokémon, at least on the Porygon Incident, aired during the Monday-Thursday schedule, and even with that schedule it definitely didn't get that low a number in ratings, whether in the OS, AG, heck, even DP (can't comment on BW).), this was definitely too low for them. If I were the writers, I'd be in full panic mode right now.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Unfortunately I couldn't find any specific ratings for the shows I mentioned. In fact the website that I went to (zap2it) is a confused mess except that I've found a press release on that website that stated that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series gained 12 million viewers on its first airing and the article stated that the show is maintaining impressive numbers (although it didn't give any specific numbers in terms of ratings meaning that we are on our own in figuring out what ratings that the show got). I also tried searching the Nielsen TV ratings website but that website only lists primetime shows for some reason.

Ether way , my comparison of Pokémon with shows such as My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic, Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (and probably the new Sonic Cartoon) still stands as those shows from a production stand point are better written and focused on more on plot and character development despite being shows made to sell merchandise as opposed to the Pokémon anime series at it current state.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Im not much surprised since i have been aware of this for quite some time. Premiere for XY series was lowest ever reaching barely 5.3. While previous series regularly reached around 9.5 whenever new saga was announced to begind. OS had over 10.0.

Ratings also took sharp decline in BW varying between 2.2 and 3.7 at some point which is pretty low for pokemon standards.

This could be one of reasons behind pokemon director Sutou Norihiko being replaced with Tesuo Yajima as main series organizer in Kalos, XY series.

But it doesnt help all that much with pokemon quickly losing interest among viewers, their loyalty and respect as evidenced in dropping oit of 10 most watched anime over there. Not once but several times already with another anime Yokai Watch produced by same studio which is responsible for production of pokemon anime OLM beating it in ratings and sales.

There are several factors to be considered such as TV becoming less predominant in this days and age among bigger variety of other anime on market which fight for people interest causing that pokemon drops in popularity. Pokemon episodes airing in time slot when kids are busy with their homework, activities etc.
Drop in natality happening in some countries.

Along with people growing up and losing interest.

However same argument can be applied to other anime out there as well. YET they are more successful and achieve much bigger ratings, positive reception and popularity than pokemon does.

WHY?
Because quality can definitely play massive difference in how many people are be willing to watch certain TV show and maintain their interest toward it with either negative or positive critic and impressions about it influencing how long series will be successful and attracting toward its watchers.

With that said based on what was most frequently talked about, complained and turned out to be controversial subjects over the years based on my observations and how often you could encounter negative word of mouth over it, its safe to conclude how following events contributed significantly in drop of ratings. As consequence of frustrated and upset people by direction in which pokemon series had been taken stopping to watch pokemon.

Such as:

Writer leaving Ash in repetitive loop stopping to evolve his character further keeping story in repetitive cycle without making any substantial growth out of it.

Very little care for continuity and more consistent storyline which along with protagonists should move things forward. Abandoned important plots(like GS ball, Team Pasma vs Team Rocket etc), repetitive start at every new saga etc.

Carelessly and without any hesitation replacing one after another important and heavily popular character leaving their stories, fears and struggles unresolved or ended up receiving half assed send of never being given chance to be used to half of their true abilities, let alone full potential.

Biggest backlash happened when Misty was replaced.
Pulling with itself at least 1/3(one third) of fans in USA, Europe etc quitting with pokemon forever once Misty was replaced in such sour and unsatisfying way. Because people loved her character and viewed her as huge part of pokemon series appeal losing lot of humor, identity, depth of emotions, healthy friction and variety of interactions once Misty left main cast with quality in that aspect for many decaying.

Accompanied with unfinished story, uncleared future and lot of potential left unused regarding water master dream, desire to live up to E4 Lorelei, her feelings fior Ash, her fears and conflicts in having trouble in using pokenmon to full potential or unexplored past about her family, prejudices etc.

No pun intended, but Misty leaving followed with May, Dawn etc being permanently written off resulted in significant portion of people quitting with pokemon series lacking brand, stable cast, fluid and continuity based story in paying respect to past, started plots, friendships with Ash and their own interest among direction under which they would unfold out.

To keep people intrigued.

This were NOT only reasons, but its worth mentioning they are one of them behind Pokemon anime starting with gradual decline with more and more people losing respect and appreciation for writers work.

Pokemon series with writers and directors questionable decisions and mistakes caused it to lose its credibility and popularity slowly, but very effectively over last 10 years.

Pokemon anime simply doesn't do enough to make those new viewers more attracted toward this show than other ones available on market such as Yokai Watch, Detective Connan, Fairy Tail, Doraemon, One Piece, Inazuma Eleven Go and many others.With less kids being willing to choose pokemon over other anime out there and follow it.

It does even less to broad interest to wider group of potential viewers and customers(this case older fans)who would get their interest sparked in wanting to revisit their childhood memories and spend cash from their hard earned money on new products falling under pokemon fever once again

Something which could easily be achieved increasing hype, older fans interest and new kids curiosity for pokemon series if older highly iconic and popular characters were brought back.

Making new kids curious to find out who are this people. From where they know Ash and better understand pokemon history showing them how pokemon is in reality one big story which builds on itself. With Ash collecting experience and gradually maturing over time .Something which is anything but true with current resets and forgetting about past like it doesnt exist.

At same time through positive word of mouth and good reception many of older fans who no longer watch pokemon might be interested in coming back to revive on their childhood memories through recognizable characters. Making them excited to see those who were part of their childhood being brought back to life seeing how much they changed and in what new adventures writers are planning to take them.

Because many of older fans would start watching again instantly if :
-older companions they like were to return,

- if writers provided some sense of direction taking Ash on next step reaching new heights as trainer such as winning league showing what else he needs to accomplish to become pokemon master. Show him deal with pressure of fame and high expectations in case of winning finally regional league. Show what other steps beside winning champion league there needs to be accomplished to acclaim master title. Bring back his father bringing much needed substance and deeper growth to his character etc.

- Less repetition and more original storylines increasing on world building, continuity and previous lands Ash and friends traveled through, development and experiences along with various previous characters not being buried in past. But acknowledging their importance and remaining relevant to pokemon universe.

Having more consistent and on going story which builds on what was established before.
Something which well cannot happen when you constantly reset everything leaving just Ash as part of equation.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
If ratings are truly low enough to be a cause for concern, and I'm personally not convinced they are but I'm not that knowledgeable about these things, it could be for any number of reasons that I doubt anyone here is properly equipped to research. This exact same thing happens in any fandom, and baseless speculation always turns into nothing more than a reflection of individual biases and wishful thinking. "If the writers would just do the anime the way I want it done, the ratings would improve" is basically what it all boils down to.

Not singling anyone out in particular for discussing the ratings, but I honestly don't get the point. No one can really tell for sure what's going on. And even if we could, none of us are in a position to make the decision-makers do things our way. If the anime is really in trouble, then it's their problem to solve. In the meantime, why not just watch the show and try to enjoy it?

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Here is the obvious reason behind XY Series low rating--

DP and BW series had a lot of hype and Expectation So those series got high rating ! But XY Series had low Expectation and less hype So this series getting worst rating then other series.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
That's a good point as well. Coming off of BW, people weren't expecting much out of XY. Even though it's proven itself to those that watch, a good chunk of people dropped after the disappointment of BW and didn't come back.

And I mean, something that Rooster Teeth has been telling us for years- ratings don't tell us anything about audience engagement or enjoyment, really. So like, bad ratings don't mean bad show. Just means less people watching.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
That's a good point as well. Coming off of BW, people weren't expecting much out of XY. Even though it's proven itself to those that watch, a good chunk of people dropped after the disappointment of BW and didn't come back.

And I mean, something that Rooster Teeth has been telling us for years- ratings don't tell us anything about audience engagement or enjoyment, really. So like, bad ratings don't mean bad show. Just means less people watching.

They certainly told executives that they mean something. Otherwise, they wouldn't cancel shows at all due to bad ratings. Look at Heroes or West Wing. Heck, just look at Maureen or GCB, even, and the latter show couldn't even last one season while the former at least lasted two before its can was kicked. Even 30 Rock which actually spent most of its existence with extremely low ratings actually ended up having to be cancelled largely because of this.

Heck, the Love Hina anime actually got cancelled prematurely largely because of this as well as loss of revenue.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
hi look at what I just said. i said it doesn't mean anything in terms of engagement or enjoyment. TV people believe in numbers, not quality. so despite shows being cancelled for lack of ratings, it's all quantitative data rather than qualitative. i mean if you insist on comparing to western live action shows, why don't you look at community for this example? been cancelled how many times and brought back due to fan dedication? at least three iirc. so like. listen to what i'm saying. ratings don't tell you **** about who is enjoying the show, how much they enjoy it, the correlation between people watching the show and buying the games and merch because of it, people cosplaying and putting that much time and effort into their fav thing. low ratings =/= bad show.

Years
weedle_mchairybug, live action shows from America are not comparable to children's anime in Japan. Stop comparing American live action shows to children's anime in Japan. The criteria used to keep them on the air differs quite a bit. Children's anime in Japan are used as animated advertisements to move merchandise. American live action shows are used to sell advertising space.

Anime like Love Hina that are targeted at an older audience have criteria that are more similar to American live action shows that determine whether they stay on the air, though Love Hina was still used to move merchandise, particularly volumes of the manga, just not to the extent Pokemon is used to those ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back