• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Explorers' Guild ☼ Mystery Dungeon Club

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
Years
  • In the Mystery Dungeon games a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves? If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner pokemon and such? If not why?

Yes... I do link moves. (Ehehe... talking like a regular person when being interviewed...) In Sky, I, as a Riolu, linked Foresight and Force Palm. Well, since Fighting-types won't work on Ghost-types, I use Foresight. This also helped me to beat Darkrai since he has Double Team... it was annoying that my attacks kept missing...! As for my partner, a Chickorita, I linked her Sweet Scent and Razor Leaf. (Well, Razor Leaf DOES have a miss chance) So that way, using Sweet Scent, the foes can be easily hit.

Last edited:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • In the Mystery Dungeon games a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves? If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner Pokemon and such? If not why?

I linked moves all the time. the problem, though, was that it drained a lot of my hunger in explorers of time, and I'd always die if not for the hunger-suppressing scarf.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    i'm so sorry for neglecting this club the past week! but a big thanks to Dedenne for coming up with such a great new topic c:

also, a very warm welcome to Tora and IamDots! it's funny to read that you picked Treecko since it'd tie in with the story nicely. i picked Treecko as my partner on my first playthrough, completely oblivious to the story, so i spent all of my time convinced they were secretly brothers or something (ノ>▽<。)ノ
    to IamDots... i'm afraid i cannot allow you to choose Shaymin as your representative Pokémon - it cannot be a legendary. i'd love for you to choose another, though!

finally, i'll answer this topic as well!
    In the Mystery Dungeon games a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves? If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner pokemon and such? If not why?
    to be honest, i don't link moves very much. i'd only ever link a damage dealing move to a non-damage dealing move, since else i probably wouldn't ever use the non-damaging move. but i'd never link more than two moves together, not even for a boss fight as i've heard many do. this is mainly because i always have my team members be Exclusive Move Users (IQ skill), to make sure i always get the double experience from beating enemy Pokémon. a drawback however is that i tend to run out of PP very fast - and of course even more so when your moves are linked! so, that's why i don't link much, hehe.
    still - i think the concept of linking moves in itself is great, and allows me to use moves that i would otherwise skip, like stat-boosting moves. you also mentioned a bunch of great examples, specifically the Foresight and Force Palm combination. that's so smart! (。 >艸<)

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • In the Mystery Dungeon games a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves? If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner pokemon and such? If not why?
    It was certainly an interesting feature, but I rarely made use of it, as it drained twice the PP. I used it sometimes before facing a hard boss battle, because attacking thrice in one turn is extremely overpowered, but I delinked them afterwards, as it wasn't really necessary on regular floors.

Etherion

In the Mystery Dungeon games a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves?
    Tried it, so yup :)

If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner pokemon and such? If not why?
    I didn't it was too much PP consuming, it wasn't necessary when your on easy dungeons because the first move usually kills the 'mons

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Member Registration:
    Username: Splash
    Pokémon Species: Magikarp
    Team Name: Team Splash

What is your favourite Dungeon in the games?
    Sky Tower -> It was definitely memorable since me and my team struggled to get to the top after I accidentally left all my goods in the storage and forgot that I left them when I was midway through the tower haha

Do you always choose the same Pokémon as Main and Partner? Which Pokémon are they, and why? Does it differ between games?

No I usually don't I often just answer the questions honestly and hope that it gives me a great pokemon. I usually get Torchic or Charmander while I usually pick Pikachu it always depends on what type I'm using and how cute they look..

What is your favourite Mystery Dungeon game?

Mystery Red and Explorers of Sky are my favorite and also the only games I played legally xD

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
    Years
  • Ohh... OK!
    That's fine... well I guess I'll be Zigzagoon then!~ (Well I did dream about being a Zigzagoon back then a year ago...)

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • In the Mystery Dungeon games a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves? If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner Pokemon and such? If not why?

Occasionally, yes.
    Usually with moves like Leer/Scratch. My most recent team CyndaquilxPikachu do not have any moves I'd consider linkable, so they haven't gotten that privledge. XD

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    Username: Splash
    Pokémon Species: Magikarp
    Team Name: Team Splash

welcome, Splash! i was just wondering, since your avatar is a shiny Magikarp, would you like your representative Magikarp to be shiny as well? c:
    that goes for anyone by the way, if you'd prefer a shiny.

IamDots, your change to Zigzagoon is noted, i'll add you right away! great choice too, Zigzagoon is one of my favourite Pokémon (。 >艸<)

it's funny to see that some of us have really gone wild with the link feature, to the point of them dying of hunger, while others haven't used it much at all because of its usurping of PP. i wonder if it's really due to different playstyles? c:
    also since we're talking about linking moves, what are some moves that you found most useful in the Mystery Dungeon games? maybe a move that had a surprisingly different effect than what you were used to in the main series games, for example?

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • welcome, Splash! i was just wondering, since your avatar is a shiny Magikarp, would you like your representative Magikarp to be shiny as well? c:
    that goes for anyone by the way, if you'd prefer a shiny.

Yeah sure that would be great! Thank You.

In the Mystery Dungeon games a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves? If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner Pokemon and such? If not why?

Yes I've linked moves in my games with almost all my pokemon. It makes the whole exploring part a bit easy in my case. And it makes you conscious of what moves you use because it might break. It makes the whole PMD Series unique imo

Last edited:

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
    Years
  • What are some moves that you found most useful in the Mystery Dungeon games? maybe a move that had a surprisingly different effect than what you were used to in the main series games, for example?

Well, I find Baton Pass a fun move! All Pokémon on the room, including the user, will switch places. Wow, that reminds me of a party game. I find AncientPower a useful move since it can raise all stats at once and a majority of Pokémon learns this early! (ex. Kabuto, Phanpy, etc.)

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • What are some moves that you found most useful in the Mystery Dungeon games? maybe a move that had a surprisingly different effect than what you were used to in the main series games, for example?

I liked long range move it felt fun using moves like flamethrower and beating enemies off screen. I felt like I was a sniper or something haha

Years
  • Did you ever link moves? If so did you like it and do it regularly with your partner Pokemon and such? If not why?
    Sometimes I linked things like Leer + Scratch, if they had around the same amount of PP (or the status move had more), yes, but no two attacking moves and it didn't happen very often. In my first plays I totally forgot about that. I didn't even know until now that your hunger could decrease from using this feature.

What are some moves that you found most useful in the Mystery Dungeon games? maybe a move that had a surprisingly different effect than what you were used to in the main series games, for example?
    Oh, yes. Waay too many. Bullet Seed would be the first that comes to mind. It was so overpowered, being able to kill more than one opponent if they were all standing in a row. In my first play through, when I didn't have a move that hit the whole room it was my best attack.
    Absorb/Mega Drain are also worth mentioning. If you were low on health, just absorb whatever was in front of you, get the Overgrow-boost and bring yourself to full health while defeating the enemy in front of you, even if it resisted you. I rarely used Giga Drain, because that one had not enough PP.
    Then of course Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, Earth Power, Discharge and so on, even though they were even more annoying if an enemy used them.
    Beat Up was nice, I had that on my Houndoom and activated it whenever the whole party was scattered all over the floor after a trap or similar nonsense, so they'd be teleported to wherever Houndoom was. Especially helpful if I had a weak client wandering around on its own.
    And some boosting moves I never use in the main series, but quite liked in Mystery Dungeon are Agility (for obvious reasons) and Helping Hand. I kept that one on my Eevee for quite a while, just to boost my whole team's attack stats for a boss fight.
    I also kept Tackle on Eevee as its main attacking move, because it had a huge amount of PP and was ridiculously strong due to STAB and Adaptability.

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
    Years
  • I have a question... to all of you, my fellow guildmates...

If you were directly in a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game, will you talk to someone? If you do, who will you talk to and what will you say?
    (Any game would be nice!)

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    wow, i didn't even know about some of these. Baton Pass and Beat Up for example, i've never gotten to use, but they seem really useful indeed!
    similar to Tora, i also kept Tackle and Helping Hand on my Eevee for a very long time, since they were quite powerful c: i also liked Quick Attack since it allowed you to cut corners and attack from one square further, hehe. and i totally get feeling like a sniper if you kill an enemy that was still off-screen too! (。 >艸<)

I have a question... to all of you, my fellow guildmates...

If you were directly in a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game, will you talk to someone? If you do, who will you talk to and what will you say?
    (Any game would be nice!)

so you basically mean... if we could meet anyone from the PMD games, who would we want to meet and what would we say? well then, i'd definitely like to meet Wigglytuff! he seems like such a weirdo, haha. but still it'd be interesting to get to know him better, i suppose.
    i'd also like to meet Chatot, for some advice on how to run my own guild (RP) better (。 >艸<)

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Hi there! I'm so sorry I haven't been posting here in the longest time hahaha, but hopefully that's about to change! (I haven't been able to do much on PC lately, but that problem will be fixed once I get over a few obstacles. =D)

Anyway, I know there are three topics floating around at the moment, but I'll answer one and get back to the rest later on.

In the Mystery Dungeon games, a new aspect was created of linking moves that you may have learned about farther in the the storyline. Did you ever link moves? If so, did you like it and do it regularly with your partner Pokémon and such? If not why?

Heck, yeah! I absolutely abused that system to no end, haha. Even though it came with a huge drawback in that we'd waste PP if we only wanted to use one of those moves, I felt that linking moves was a vital part in fighting large numbers of Pokémon with a small team. The ability to attack twice in one turn is game changing, and it has incredible use when dealing with Monster Houses. Sometimes I would link stuff like Leech Seed and Toxic together, while other times I would combine a status move with an attacking move or even two attacking moves if I was going for an aggressive strategy. It's never a bad idea to keep a Link Box handy so that you could unlink moves and then re-link two different moves to help flow with the current situation.

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
    Years
  • so you basically mean... if we could meet anyone from the PMD games, who would we want to meet and what would we say? well then, i'd definitely like to meet Wigglytuff! he seems like such a weirdo, haha. but still it'd be interesting to get to know him better, i suppose.
    i'd also like to meet Chatot, for some advice on how to run my own guild (RP) better (。 >艸<)

haha! that's my answer too!
    Spoiler:

I also would like to meet Chatot too!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Sometimes I would link stuff like Leech Seed and Toxic together, while other times I would combine a status move with an attacking move or even two attacking moves if I was going for an aggressive strategy.
    I never really thought of linking Leech Seed and Toxic, since both seemed kind of useless in these games. Did you use them just for boss battles or also for random enemies?

As for the question:

I'd want to talk to Grovyle and Celebi and ask them for details about living in the future for a fanfiction. Also, if I had the opportunity to meet Spinda, I'd take it. I mean, come on. He seems pretty fun.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023

no worries about the absence, but it's good to have you back! c:
    like Tora, i'm quite surprised at the combo of Toxic and Leech Seed. but i suppose it's a way to passively defeat enemies? i'd also really like to hear what kind of enemies you'd use it for (。 >艸<)
    haha, i never used Link Boxes much either c: but i'm glad to hear that some people made good use of the linking system and accompanying features!

hm, interesting suggestions as well! c: Spinda is kinda similar to Wigglytuff in sillyness, so i understand why you'd want to meet him. try one of his gummi juices maybe... and i'd totally read that fanfic of yours

Back