• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: PC Fastfood Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirfetch’d

My mom and dad don't really know how to use the computer properly haha. I always have to scan their comp for them every once in a while since they'd probably never do it otherwise :(

My mom is really good with technology, but my dad always needs help haha. My dad always has to ask for my help when doing something on the internet.

Years
  • I'm scared whenever my parents use a computer and they go on a website with pop ups, they would accidentally download a virus. Happened once before.

Years
  • How do you usually get a virus onto your computer? I don't think it's happened in a long time for me, unless there are viruses I don't know about << >>

Years
  • I haven't gotten a virus that destroyed my computer in about 4 years or so.. and I've been really fortunate that I use the AV that I do now, because I find it to be reliable and it's kept me safe.

I also do the occasional malware scan, too in the instance my AV program doesn't catch the virus.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i got a virus on my first computer because of a game. the computer just like crashed, other than that, i've been okay lol.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • i got a huge virus a few years ago when I allowed my dad to borrow my laptop while I left out of town for the weekend. he downloaded a crapload of torrents full of viruses, so it took me about three weeks to get my lappy fixed and back to normal.

Sirfetch’d

I had a bad virus that I am not even sure of where it came from. It was the "your computer has been locked by the FBI" virus. It was a ***** to get rid of.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • In all the years I've been using a computer, I've never gotten a virus. I've had adware and spyware before (back before I knew any better), but I've always managed to keep good virus protection on my computer. And I've always been smart about not clicking spam links or suspicious popups.

Sirfetch’d

I really need to update my virus protection to ensure that I do not get a virus again. I think I was just really being careless and ignoring suspicious links which I now realize was a huge mistake on my part.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Just download Avast. It's never failed me yet, and it's free. No need to pay for virus protection, and it auto-updates in the background so you don't have to worry about keeping it updated.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • yesyesyesyesyes! Avast is the best one I've used and it has never failed me. I have always relied on it and it saved my dad from a few bullets. xD

Sirfetch’d

Definitely gonna download Avast then because I have had others tell me as well that it is amazing. Not sure why I have waited this long D:

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have Avast in all of my computers, and it's great. I love it~ I always wanted to try out the premium ones (such as Norton), though, but my mom doesn't allow me to. She thinks it's just a waste of money. D:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Back when I actually used anti-virus it was always AVG for me. But that's apparently dropped a long way now, so... maybe not haha. I did use Avast for a while though and, while its UI was an absolute mess, it always did the job pretty quickly and effectively. If you don't mind it being ugly then I'd definitely recommend it.

edit: just google image'd it and it's actually looking quite nice now! So ignore my comments about its UI.

Perdition Haze said:
    I have Avast in all of my computers, and it's great. I love it~ I always wanted to try out the premium ones (such as Norton), though, but my mom doesn't allow me to. She thinks it's just a waste of money. D:

Avoid. Norton. ಠ_ಠ

Like, seriously. When I used it I felt like it was a total resource hog and that seems to be the experience that many others have had, too.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
    Years
  • Yes, definitely avoid Norton. I've only ever tried it once and it was a gigantic resource hog.

I don't actually use any AV. on Windows 8, I use the built in Defender thing, and on OS X I don't see a need for one. I download a crap ton of torrents but nothing has gone wrong yet. I know this is probably a bad idea, but it's worth all the annoyance an AV will cause. :P

Years
  • The built in Windows Defender on Windows 8 is essentially equivalent to Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7/Vista/XP.. and I don't torrent (believe it or not), simply because I just don't want my computer to catch a virus, and I am probably a little too over-paranoid on stuff like that.

Of course, if I have a computer I couldn't care less about with viruses, then maybe I'll torrent on that computer.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
    Years
  • I have uTorrent set up on a server which is running Xubuntu Linux. I log on to uTorrent from WebUI on my desktop, add a torrent, then when it's done, I use SMB to copy it to whatever PC I want to use it on - this way I can open it up on Linux first and make sure there's nothing blatantly wrong with it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • My goodness I miss Linux so much. :( I'm stuck with Windows 8. I'm probably going to start investing on an old laptop that has Windows 7 so I can a dual boot to Linux.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back