• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack's Recommendations

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
If you didn't need an emulator, it wasn't a rom hack, it was a fan-game. Pokecommunity has a section for that, maybe you can ask there?

Years
As DarkSneasel said, perhaps you should find the appropriate place in the Game Development section, instead? This evidently isn't ROM hacking-related, though, so I'm going to close it.

Valknarok

Founder of Xil Projects
Years
Hello guys, and thank you for the replies. I've been a bit busy as of late, so I haven't been able to stay updated on the forums. At any rate, the specific things I would like to alter are base stats, move pools, and other Pokemon-specific, battle-oriented attributes. No mesh/texture alterations, no music alterations. Just want to tune some dials to synchronize the stat/move characteristics of the Stadium games with my Pokemon Gen 1 & 2 ROM projects. As it stands, uploading Pokemon from my current projects into a Pokemon Stadium game is not a very cohesive thing to do due to the rebalances I've done, and I seek to "fix" this. Again, thank you for the replies.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jun 2, 2018
Well, for Pocket Monsters 3 / Pokemon Stadium 2 the base stats are here, broken up as so:
base stat struct 0x16 each; 251 entries (0x1594 total)
Code:
NP3D    0x99160    Germany
NP3E    0x98F20    USA
NP3F    0x99040    France
NP3I    0x99260    Italy
NP3J    0x9A700    Japan
NP3P    0x99080    England
NP3S    0x99240    Spain
0x0    1    Johto pokedex number
0x1    1    base HP
0x2    1    base attack
0x3    1    base SP attack
0x4    1    base speed
0x5    1    base defense
0x6    1    base SP defense
0x7    1    type 1
0x8    1    type 2
0x9    1    gender ratio
0xA    1    [always 100]
0xB    1    egg cycle
0xC    1    growth rate
0xD    1    egg groups
0xE    8    TM/HM flags
colors base stat info 9 each; 151 entries (0x54F total)
Code:
NP3D    0x9A6F4    Germany
NP3E    0x9A4B4    USA
NP3F    0x9A5D4    France
NP3I    0x9A7F4    Italy
NP3J    0x9BC94    Japan
NP3P    0x9A614    England
NP3S    0x9A7D4    Spain
0x0    1    base special
0x1    7    TM/HM flags
0x8    1    reserved?
Learnsets; suspecting there are pointers to these but haven't traced it yet.
Entries 3 each; list ends with an entry of all zeroes. Goes in old 'dex order. Padded so each entry starts at a word boundry.
Code:
NP3D    0x9AD40    Germany
NP3E    0x9AB00    USA
NP3F    0x9AC20    France
NP3I    0x9AE40    Italy
NP3J    0x9C2E0    Japan
NP3P    0x9AC60    England
NP3S    0x9AE20    Spain
0x0    1    level learned
0x1    1    move
0x2    1    bitflags
    01    Blue/Red/Green
    02    Yellow
    04    Gold/Silver
    08    Crystal
    10    move tutor
    20    breeding Gold/Silver
    40    breeding Crystal
Note that since all these addresses fall before 0x101000 in the ROM the checksum would have to be recalculated after you edit anything. It uses a *103 CIC, the "diddy" algorithm.

The first two games both use the same format for base stats.
Pokémon colors base stats 0x17 ea.
Code:
0x0    1    pkdex#
0x1    1    base HP
0x2    1    base attack
0x3    1    base defense
0x4    1    base speed
0x5    1    base special
0x6    1    type 1
0x7    1    type 2
0x8    1    catch rate
0x9    1    base experience yield
0xA    1    move 1
0xB    1    move 2
0xC    1    move 2
0xD    1    move 4
0xE    1    growth rate    (0:fast, 3:slow, 4:very fast, 5:very slow)
0xF    7    TMs/HMs
0x16    1    RESERVED
The base stats in the first two games can be found at:
Code:
CPSJ    0x66900    [B]Pocket Monsters Stadium[/B]
CP2J    0x98F20    [B]Pocket Monsters Stadium 2[/B]
NPOD    0x72220    [B]Pokémon Stadium (Germany)[/B]
NPOE    0x71BA0    [B]Pokémon Stadium (USA) v1.0[/B]
NPOE1    0x71BA0    [B]Pokémon Stadium (USA) v1.1[/B]
NPOE2    0x71CE0    [B]Pokémon Stadium (USA) v1.2[/B]
NPOF    0x72340    [B]Pokémon Stadium (France)[/B]
NPOI    0x72340    [B]Pokémon Stadium (Italy)[/B]
NPOP    0x71C60    [B]Pokémon Stadium (England) v1.0[/B]
NPOP1    0x71DA0    [B]Pokémon Stadium (England) v1.1[/B]
NPOS    0x72340    [B]Pokémon Stadium (Spain)[/B]
Altering moves is a bit complicated. Moves are really an object that is animated by code, and all the effects are hardcoded into the object's code, triggered at the appropriate moment. These things are archived and stored across several compressed files. Still working out specifics.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 25, 2015
Gen 1 remake?

Is there a remake of generation 1, preferably a hack from the 5th generation? I just feel like playing the old game with some updated grphics.

tnx in advance,
That13thGuy

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 24, 2015
Looking for a rom hack that may or may not exist

What's up guys, this is my first post so hopefully I haven't done something wrong.

Anyway, I'm looking for a ROM hack that I'm not sure exists but it's worth a look.

I'm looking for a gen 4 game. Doesn't matter what, be it Diamond/Pearl/Platinum or HeartGold/SoulSilver, I don't really care. The only thing I want that's actually different from the standard gen 4 game is to have every Pokemon added, up to and including Volcanion and Hoopa. There doesn't need to be an actual way to get them in the game, I'm planning on using a randomizer anyway, so they just need to be in the game files.

Other things that are OK to have but aren't absolutely necessary are, in order of importance, new abilities, new TMs and new Megas. Other than that, I'd prefer to have it vanilla. Minor changes that aren't too game changing (Cut being Grass type like in Drayano hacks etc.) are OK.

Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Unfortunately nothing like that exists. There's not much interest in Gen 4 hacking in general, so nothing like that has even been attempted. What you're asking for is very complicated and things like new abilities and Pokemon have taken years just to achieve in Gen 3. I wouldn't expect to see a hack like that any time soon.

Years
Does anyone know or heard of a player that has succesfully traded a Pokémon either from a hacked game or an actual pokemon ROM to a cartridge game, either to a DS title or 3DS from a GBA Generation game?

I am a huge fan of the mobile gaming as well as emulation and hacking. I love playing the pokemon hacks in this forum on my phone and other devices on my down time mainly because of the stories and adventure.

So, I recently purchased the New Nintendo 3DS along with OMEGA Ruby and also purchased a 3DS Capable DS Flash cart (r4i gold) to play some back ups of a variety of DS titles but more importantly to emulate GBA as well as SNES titles.

So I was curious if it was possible to trade the Pokémon I am training and capturing through ROMS to my OMEGA Ruby title. Mainly because I want to complete my pokedex and I really want to capture legendaris as well through codes.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 15, 2021
Alright guys, I could use some help.

Hi, my name is Zack. I recently started getting into rom hacks because it has been a while since I played Pokemon, and I wanted to play games that I hadn't played before, while still experiencing Pokemon like I had my whole life. So now I'm wondering, does anyone know of any good hacks with a nice storyline, plenty of gyms and regions, up to gen 6 Pokemon, and maybe some fakemon in it that I could play? I just finished playing Pokemon glazed, and I loved it, so now I'm looking for another good game to play. So, any suggestions?

Years
I'm new need some help

Hey this might be a stupid question but..... I just finished pokemon glazed (well have some legendaries left; but for the most part). What's a good game to go to next? Is Pokemon Dark Energy any good? It caught my eye. Any other hack suggestions? I like games that are different from the original pokemon games. New region, New bad guys, New story, something that just draws you in. Thanks

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I think you should try Pokemon Sweet Version, bluefire38. It's finished and bas a Kanto like region but in a very humorous way. And the team isn't Team Rocket! I think I heard it's complete too.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 23, 2022
I'm interested in this too. Managed to edit the trainers and rental mons without problems, but moves and base stats basically exploded in my face with the slightest alteration.
Oddly enough, when I tested trainer modifications, (Changed Red's R1 team to his GS team.) The game treated Red as if he had hacked mons. (Pink Name)
Are there any protections or something of the sort in this game?

Years
Dude, there are a ton of hacks out there! Just check out the hacks studio, I'm sure you will find something good there.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 12, 2015
Completed GBA Hacks?

A lotta times, I'll be surfing the Internet looking for hacks and find incomplete versions. Are there any completed hacks out there aside from the usual? (y'know- Dark Rising, Flora Sky, Light Platinum, etc.)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
A lotta times, I'll be surfing the Internet looking for hacks and find incomplete versions. Are there any completed hacks out there aside from the usual? (y'know- Dark Rising, Flora Sky, Light Platinum, etc.)
Oh yes, plenty.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack
Touhoumon Purple
Fuligin
Iridescent
Brown
Vega (though it's in jap, a porting effort is underway)
etc.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jun 2, 2018
I've been busy with other things lately but will get back to it soon.
Most Pokémon, including your own, are stored in a POKE file. Stadium 2 (J Stadium 3) uses a slightly different struct than the earlier games "P3v0". I've wanted to confirm the exact format using a save dump from my cart but the V64jr has been acting up. Probably just use some sacrificial Rattata captures and a flashcart or something.

"P3v0" is a general filewrapper name though, so more than just your party uses it (also unlike previous titles) making this a bit of a pain.

If the data was wrapped in one of those they have a checksum. It's just a checksum16 against the data, but if it doesn't match they'll treat it like a hacked 'mon.
Can't say this is accurate yet, but registered parties use this format:
Code:
#    0x0    1    True if data set    [default 0]
#    0x2    2    trainer ID    [default 0]
#    0x4    12    Trainer name (GB encoding, 0x50 terminated)    [default 0x5000]
#    0x10    pkmn    0x3C each; uses GB storage format
#        0x0    1    species
#        0x1    1    held item
#        0x2    1    move 1
#        0x3    1    move 2
#        0x4    1    move 3
#        0x5    1    move 4
#        0x6    2    OT ID
#        0x8    4    EXP
#        0xC    2    HP exp
#        0xE    2    Atk exp
#        0x10    2    Def exp
#        0x12    2    Spd exp
#        0x14    2    Spc exp
#        0x16    2    DVs
#        0x18    1    PP 1
#        0x19    1    PP 2
#        0x1A    1    PP 3
#        0x1B    1    PP 4
#        0x1C    1    friendship
#        0x1D    1    level
#        0x1E    1    status
#        0x1F    5    ???
#        0x24    12    nickname (GB encoding, 0x50 terminated)
#        0x30    12    OT name? (GB encoding, 0x50 terminated; 0 if rental)
#    0x178    2    fill?  always 0000
#    0x17A    4    b'P3v0'
#    0x17E    2    checksum16    [default 01CF]
I want to make absolutely certain I didn't bugger anything up beforehand though.

Only parts of the save file are loaded at a time depending which menu you are on.
Free Battle & Gym Leader Castle
pointers to banks 0 and 1 at 80261E60 & 80269670, respectively.
registered parties @ 80261E70 backups at 80265A70 (+0x3C00)
registered gym castle parties @ 80269680
Loaded when entering the "Choose from which entry?" screen.

Stadium
80257E90 backups at 8025BA90 (+0x3C00)
Loaded when entering the "Choose from which entry?" screen.

These projects are taking longer than expected, but really really will get to this eventually ;*)
Consider this a consolation prize.

Years
I want to play some rom hacks with 6th gen pokemon and good storyline.
There are 1 or 2 which have 6th gen pokemons but are just hack which replace some original pokemons with new pokemons without any solid content.
So if you could recommend some good hacks with 6th gen pokemons I'll be thankful.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back