• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack's Recommendations

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Well I do know KazoWar has been working on a hacking editor for OR/AS, but its in a lot of development at the moment. If you check his youtube you can get more information

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2023
    Questions about Rom challenges

Is there any gba hacks that give you the option to do a nuzlocke challenge or randomizer like the exe games do? I know if I try to make my own challenge then I'll probably bend the rules, but if it's already in the game then it will be easier to follow through.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    I had heard Drayano might be doing something of this sort, mabye. Either way i would love to play a more difficult gen 6, the games had so much potential that got squandered when game freak made them easy mode.

Too bad i don't have a 3ds flashcart

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Universal Randomizer is the tool you want.

As for permadeath... that's an interesting subject. I saw some ASM the other day in research that implements it as a battle mode. I'm not 100% sure if it can be used throughout the entire game.

Arshes91

Fangames/hacks lover
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2016
    Hey there, I'm currently in the process of creating a Pokemon Red version hack, and I have every other generation planned for in the future. My question is are there Pokemon Stadium/Stadium 2 hacks, and if so, does Pokecommunity contain a sub-community dedicated to this? I mainly seek potential hack tools, but am also looking to connect with anyone who has hacked these two games, or who is interested in the idea. I have a plethora of ideas, so let's go!
    This a one of my idea ive plented to work with but since there no tools to work with ive made a texture mod instead.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2023
    Universal Randomizer is the tool you want.

As for permadeath... that's an interesting subject. I saw some ASM the other day in research that implements it as a battle mode. I'm not 100% sure if it can be used throughout the entire game.

Thanks man. Unfortunately randomizer doesn't work if the game has fakemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Aegh, can't post links yet. Oh well.
    I'm in the process of translating the original Japan-only Pocket Monsters Stadium. I've also made a video and patch to allow other GB carts to be used in its in-game emulator. (Zoinkity on YouTube; I only have four videos, can't miss it) Been meaning to post the progress in the WIP thread but having a bit of a time getting decent screenshots. No camera or capture card, emulation is too poor and inconsistent for pics, if you've seen the video you know how bad that is already, and the GameShark doesn't play nicely with the flashcart one bit. Aegh...

Just to warn you, hacking N64 is not for the faint of heart. What did you have in mind exactly?

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Frame buffer effects are the bane of HLE video plugins, but LLEs like Cen64 don't have transfer pack support yet. The GB emulator uses its own microcode too so only an LLE can run it right now, but without a way of providing it a cart that doesn't quite work. Did find a way to fake having a pak plugged in Nemu64, the only emu with a proper debugger built in.

Hadn't looked at the later titles much, but pretty much all their code is uncompressed. The only thing you have to watch out for are blocks of data outside the runtime that's always loaded. They use a special "offsetting" format so they can be loaded anywhere in memory. The offsets in the file are turned into proper pointers using a table. There are different kinds of entries for the high and low parts of pointers, standalone pointers, and jumps. So, when changing code you just have to make sure to correct any offsets that may have moved or add entries for anything new that needs them.

The sound format in all but the earliest game is a version of MusyX, later used on GC. There's a different kind that is run by RSP code, but this slightly different version isn't supported yet in SubDrag's N64SoundTools. (sorry, can't post links yet)

As for the Pokémon, they're all compressed. Their models and textures aren't really that different from anything else N64, but the problem here is the animation code is very, very specific to each one. As such, they expect the model parts to be divided a very particular way and not doing exactly what they want is usually fatal. Animations are stored separately so they could replace them easier.

Moves are basically models as well with their own animation code and ASM directly tied to them. They're really more of an event. There's a timed list that triggers calculating the damage/effects/etc. for the move, triggers different steps of the animations at the correct times, and displays the effects and so forth at the proper times. Still a bit iffy on the format specifics though.

The code is very clean though. It's not a particularly hard game to hack. If there's something specific I can at least point you in the right direction.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2015
    I'm a newbie to playing the rom hacks and I figured I'd start off playing the rom that won the award for 2014, Pokemon Glazed. I liked it a lot it was fun, I thought the world was great. But on the other hand, I felt like it was too easy and I got bored in parts. I'm ready for my next game but I wanted to ask all you experienced players for help, I'm looking for the hardest hacks (I like a challenge) meets the hacks with the best stories. I read a lot of forums and I have it down to pokemon ruby destiny Reign of Legends and Dark Rising.

Please tell me which hack has the better story, difficulty, and of course which in your opinion is better? - Oh and I'm aware there is DR 2 and that ruby destiny has 3 or 4 games...do they all have good stories and are challenging? Should I just start with dark rising 2 or the last installments of ruby destiny or is it way more fun to start from the beginning because the story matches up?

Sorry about the hurricane of questions I just want to make sure I play the best game I can!! All input and opinions are welcome and valued thanks in advance. P.S. If there are other hacks you think I should play instead let me know! (Light Platinum, Liquid Crystal, Flora Sky, Ashgrey, etc I see get lots of recognition but like I said I'm looking for difficulty and a GREAT story). Thanks for helping a newbb!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2017
    Help! looking for Vanilla *hard* Chrystal hack!

My friend and I are looking for a GBC Chrystal hack for the purpose of Pokemon speed competitions. We run normal gen 1 and 2 ROM on VBA (use spacebar for max throttle), and generally beat the games in under an hour. (30-40 minutes for Elite 4, 1 hourish for Red in gen 2). We have also played around with using gamesharks for interesting starters etc. It's been great fun and by now we are obviously overly familiar with the games. However even with unlimited pokemon options and unique rules, it's still become rather boring (not difficult enough). Thus we have been venturing in to the realm of pokemon hacks, and before I throw countless hours into learning how to create the perfect hack for us, I want to make sure one does not already exist {XD}
    The IDEAL hack for us would include the following qualities:

More interesting and harder trainer/gym/rival/boss battles, especially Kanto gym leaders and Red.
    NO changes to story layout
    NO changes to pokemon learnsets or moves (Kaizo Chrystal has Totodile learning crunch at level 8, lol?)
    *optional more level appropriate grass/wild pokemon
    *optional 251 catchable
    *optional Mart changes (specifically TM/evolutionary stone additions look awesome!)
    *optional trade-only evolve pokemon evolve with level/etc.
    *optional friendship pokemon evolve with level/stones (espeon evolves with sunstone- really liked that one!)

I have tried quite a few hacks, of the ones I could find the closest to what we are looking for was called "Hard way around" hack for pokemon Chrystal, which looks great but we were hoping for something a little more thorough and challenging :)
    Thank you for reading! I hope you can help me, and if you're curious about the way my friend and I compete or have any ideas for us to try, please comment below!

On a side note, extra points to anyone who could tell me how to battle over LAN with gen 2 GBC emulator, or alternatively their higher generation remakes with an emulator that allows turbo throttle like VBA with gen 1-3. VBALink doesn't seem to want to work for us >:(

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    I can't help you with deciding the hack, but if VBA Link isn't working then you can try the VBA-M fork. The Pokemon evolutions are a quick fix if you want to hack a hack, though you'll have to do a bit of balancing yourself in deciding when pokemon evolve with level.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2017
    I can't help you with deciding the hack, but if VBA Link isn't working then you can try the ... fork. The Pokemon evolutions are a quick fix if you want to hack a hack, though you'll have to do a bit of balancing yourself in deciding when pokemon evolve with level.
    Thank you for your reply! I think creating my own hack (or modifying someone else's) is my best bet, but it is rather daunting to start as I have never done anything similar, hehe

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    Don't worry too much about hacking being daunting: since you're not changing the story you probably won't need to do any mapping or scripting. Editing trainers, wild Pokemon and evolutions is easy to learn thanks to tools. You're probably aware of what level the player is at different points of the game, so you're better off than most at balancing difficulty already. Mart changes might be capable with a tool, you'll have to look it up.

Not saying it's easy; hacking is much harder to master than it is to learn. Too many people seem to put it as a really scary thing to do though. It's the kind of thing that's only as scary as you make of it. What's the worst that could happen if it doesn't work out? You end up not making a hack after all?

So no nerves. Plz.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2015
    POKEMON ROM HACK HELP CAN'T REMEMBER NAME

Hey guys! I am having trouble remembering a rom hack. If I remember right you don't need a emulator for it. You start out taking like a personality quiz and then you get a eevee evolution as your stater, and the wally sprite is your brother and instead of going to gyms, you go to pokemon battle tournaments. PLEASE HELP!!!! I wanna play this again

JustDutch101

JustDutch101
    Years
  • Does someone have any suggestions for good pokemon hacks with nds tiles/sprites? speaking about that , does anyone have any idea how Light Platinum NDS is going? I can't understand the spanish the authors are speaking in on the wahack forum and they're working on it for quite a time now. How is nds pokemon rom hacking in generally going (with intention to making your own game , not editing like blaze black does)? I knew alot of people were working on it for a couple of years now but I didn't hear anything else since then.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2017
    Thank you again for your reply. I tried to follow your advice and just try to pick up some of the easier stuff, but even the beginner tutorials immediately lose me with technical acronyms and keywords (which from what I've seen are subject specific and don't yield any relevant google searches). Is there a SUPER n00b friendly tutorial on how to get started on hacking on this website that I'm not aware of? Otherwise it looks like I will be forced to resort to bombarding the quick Q&A page with my millions of questions :)

Back