• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

☁ Sky High ☁ Flying-type Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • To be honest, I don't really care when it will start. I don't have enough time to effectively race through a game, so I don't think I'll be signing up for the global clubs event. So whether we start right away or in two months, either is fine to me.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    To be honest, I don't really care when it will start. I don't have enough time to effectively race through a game, so I don't think I'll be signing up for the global clubs event. So whether we start right away or in two months, either is fine to me.

But our Flying Monotype works similarly, in fact I'm gonna simply copy paste the rules from Psychic-Club! {XD}

Lycanthropy

Years
  • But our Flying Monotype works similarly, in fact I'm gonna simply copy paste the rules from Psychic-Club! {XD}

So... in fact you could make the same playthrough count as both the club event and the global event? (Well, unless they're on different games.)

Also, I'm throwing in a new topic:
    What are your feelings on bug/flying types? Opinions on the fact that for example Beautifly is a flying type, while Dustox isn't?

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    So... in fact you could make the same playthrough count as both the club event and the global event? (Well, unless they're on different games.)

Also, I'm throwing in a new topic:
    What are your feelings on bug/flying types? Opinions on the fact that for example Beautifly is a flying type, while Dustox isn't?

We can do that too, actually. So that our Flying-type Representative can enjoy both events without real hassles and on the other hand our Flying crew won't be ignored or feeling like we've got nothing to do. {XD} But that means we'll be leaving the game-to-play decision to the feedback thread, rather than deciding on our own (If we wanna much up with the main event).

I kinda want you to present us, hahaha. :P I can see Joey might be participating for his own club and Seth probably wants to go with Dragon-type? {XD}

Interesting topic! ^_^
    By typing itself, it's a shame that the weaknesses are common moves. To add insult to the injury, they take double damage from Stealth Rock! As for Beautifly VS Dustox, while Beautifly is better looking and leaned to the offensive side I say its typing is a curse than a help, it's fortunate that Dustox didn't receive that typing! Not downing Flying nor Bugs, but the combination on the other hand is pity. Yanmega is one of those great Bug/Flying Pokémon with so much potential though. :D

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Personally I like that there are the big/flying type. Sure, there aren't many (regional bugs, yanma line, Masquirain, mothim (or however you spell it) and any others I forgot) but it's neat to see the different designs. I personally love the yanma line design. It's a dragon fly! I can't wait until it gets a mega!
    Spoiler:
    . I also love (shiny) Masquirain as well.
    As for Beautifly and Dustox, I love them both. I like beautifly's design, but I've always prefer Dustox for battle purposes due to weaknesses.

Years
  • So the monotype challenge event is actually a competition? In that case, expect me to come dead last xD I was expecting a simple walkthrough challenge where all you have to do is finish the game within the restrictions. As for a Dragon monotype, I don't think I'd be able to complete it with any of the official games due to how late-game dragons normally are. For voting, I'll pick Ruby/Sapphire as I know it best, but I'm willing to challenge any game.

I don't use Bug/Flying Pokemon much in the games. The only one I've actually had on my team is Masquerain. They have a plethora of weakness and seem very fragile, so it feels like they would get steamrolled by any Gym Leader/Elite Four unless they had a significant edge on level. In my opinion Dustox suits the type it has been given; it breaks the mold of having only Bug/Flying types for regional bugs. It also has better Poison moves than the others in its movepool, which is great.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Personally I like that there are the big/flying type. Sure, there aren't many (regional bugs, yanma line, Masquirain, mothim (or however you spell it) and any others I forgot) but it's neat to see the different designs. I personally love the yanma line design. It's a dragon fly! I can't wait until it gets a mega!
    Spoiler:
    . I also love (shiny) Masquirain as well.
    As for Beautifly and Dustox, I love them both. I like beautifly's design, but I've always prefer Dustox for battle purposes due to weaknesses.

Despite we're in a Flying-type Club, I have to agree with your idea on Mega Yanmega! Not only because it's a dragonfly but because of its size and it needs to make the Bug crowd feel proud as well -- Yanmega truly deserves a Mega, if you ask me. :D

So the monotype challenge event is actually a competition? In that case, expect me to come dead last xD I was expecting a simple walkthrough challenge where all you have to do is finish the game within the restrictions. As for a Dragon monotype, I don't think I'd be able to complete it with any of the official games due to how late-game dragons normally are. For voting, I'll pick Ruby/Sapphire as I know it best, but I'm willing to challenge any game.

I don't use Bug/Flying Pokemon much in the games. The only one I've actually had on my team is Masquerain. They have a plethora of weakness and seem very fragile, so it feels like they would get steamrolled by any Gym Leader/Elite Four unless they had a significant edge on level. In my opinion Dustox suits the type it has been given; it breaks the mold of having only Bug/Flying types for regional bugs. It also has better Poison moves than the others in its movepool, which is great.

I don't mind winning or losing, it's participating and having fun what really matters.~ So I suggest you to participate without having the feel to rushed. :)

If you'd like to represent our Flying Club (be note that the game is undecided yet, please take your time to decide), feel free to say so -- no need to hesitate or be shy!

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • What are your feelings on bug/flying types? Opinions on the fact that for example Beautifly is a flying type, while Dustox isn't?

It's kind of an overused type honestly, so I'm not super fond of it. As far as Dustox is concerned, it's consistent with other Flying Bug/Poison-types (Venomoth and Beedrill for example), so it doesn't really bother me.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    s05EbTv.jpg

Look at this fanart. {XD}

Years
  • What are your feelings on bug/flying types? Opinions on the fact that for example Beautifly is a flying type, while Dustox isn't?

Alex pretty much summed it up here, it's an overused type combination but it's to be expected for most winged insects. I don't mind Dustox being Bug/Poison, I mean we have a lot of others using that type combination as well so they do even each other out.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    New topics:
    What do you think on the lack of pure Flying-type Pokémon? Is it a bad thing or a good thing?
    Ironically the lack of pure Flying-type contrasts how Flying-type is paired up with other 17 types, what do you think about this?

Years
  • What do you think on the lack of pure Flying-type Pokémon? Is it a bad thing or a good thing?
    It's sort of a good thing because a pure Flying-type would mainly have to have a design based solely on wind, which Tornadus already shows so it being pure Flying makes sense. It's difficult to pull off Flying as a pure type compared to others because of the lack of design options.

Ironically the lack of pure Flying-type contrasts how Flying-type is paired up with other 17 types, what do you think about this?
    5th Gen did give us a pure Flying-type, Tornadus. It is a legendary though so I wouldn't count it but the fact we now have Flying paired up with all other 17 types at least once shows just how many designs can stem up how differently the type can be utilized.

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Can you believe I actually forgot to answer my own topic?

Bug/flying is a very common combination, but it doesn't always seem very meaningful to me, that's why I brought up the topic. Beautifly, as in the example, can't learn any decent flying moves, just Gust (and Aerial Ace with a TM). In what way is it more flying than Dustox? They're both butterflies, they both can fly! Dustox even learns Gust too! Is there a difference?
    Okay, this doesn't go for all bug/flying Pokémon. Yanmega, for example, actually deserves its flying type. While not able to learn Fly itself, it can at least learn Air Slash, which is a great flying type move.

What do you think on the lack of pure Flying-type Pokémon? Is it a bad thing or a good thing?

I'm going to answer both topics at once, as they're very close to each other. Flying is kinda like a side type, Pokémon are always something/flying, until Tornadus came to existence to break the rule. While a side type, it doesn't make it less important, not at all, and that's what makes the flying type so unique: its versatility.
    In the first generation it has been decided bird Pokémon should be normal/flying instead of just flying. While they lose fighting resistance to this, I actually like they did this. As Hikari just mentioned above, a pure flying type should be an embodiment of the wind, like Tornadus, or something like in the image in the spoiler.
    Spoiler:

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Spoiler:

CURRENT CLUB EVENTS

The Sky High Monotype Race

PARTICPANTS (Alphabetic order) & SCOREBOARD

None yet. Currently accepting participants; only Flying-type Club Members are allowed to participate.

REWARD FOR WINNING TEAMS

Announced at the Global Monotype Race; same prize as the Global one.​

RULES

• Only the following games will are officially recognized for this event:
      Pokémon Black 2 version [Official Nintendo game]
      Pokémon White 2 version [Official Nintendo game]
      Pokémon Blaze Black 2 version [Hack; Vanilla or Completed]
      Pokémon Volt White 2 version [Hack; Vanilla or Completed]

However, other forms of Flying-type Monotype plays are more than welcomed from non-participants, make sure to update frequently and let us know your progress!
    • Participants are free to restart as much as they want, they can even switch a game (see above for recognized games). But only one game save at a time; the older save no longer counts. Points are reset to zero points for every restart.
    • Participants are strongly advised to copy/back up save often, if possible. Points will be reset to zero if save file is corrupted and restarting. However, points do not reset if you are using a back up save.
    • Any forms of cheats, hacks, edits, save file exchanges are prohibited, if found out the said the participant will be disqualified. Participants are advised to switch off or completely delete your cheats, in case you are using a rom/have a cheating device.
    • Save files cannot be shared under normal situations.
    • Trades (including Pokémon obtained with PokeTransfer) and PokeRadar are only permitted for those who play the official Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 versions. Additionally they are limited for using the said method for only twice, regardless the Pokémon are traded as Eggs or not.
    • Following the above, the players of Pokémon Volt White 2 and Blaze Black 2 versions are prohibited from trading with any games.
    • You are required to capture at least one Flying Pokemon once you received Pokéballs in Aspertia City and you need to store or release your starter via Storage PC. Pidove is available all four seasons in Flocessy Ranch and Route 20 in the official Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 versions. While in Pokémon Volt White 2 and Blaze Black 2 versions , Pidgey is available in Route 19, Pidove and Bagon are in Route 20 available all four seasons.
    • Bagon is allowed as long as it evolves into Salamence by the time you arrived to Opelucid City.
    • Caterpie and Wurmple are allowed as long as they become into their respective Flying-type evolution stages before arriving to Virbank City.
    • Togepi is allowed as long as it evolves into Togetic before battling Burgh, the Bug-type Gym Leader.
      EV Berries, which can increase a Pokémon's Happiness, are available in Castelia City PokéCenter-Shop, in Pokémon Volt White 2 and Blaze Black 2 versions.
    • Magikarp is allowed as long as it evolves into Gyarados before battling Burgh, the Bug-type Gym Leader.
    • Charmander is allowed as long as it evolves into Charizard by the time you arrived to Mistralton City.
    • Scyther is not allowed to be evolved.
    • Surskit must be evolved before battling Skyla, the Flying-type Gym Leader.
    • Fan Rotom is allowed as long it stays in that form.
    • All Legendary and/or Mythical Pokemon are banned from being used. However, you are free to capture them and deposit them in Storage PC.
    • HM Helpers are permitted; they do not need to match your type. However, they can NOT be used in any battles.
    • Participants need to update every capture, evolution, Gym matches, (per) Elite Four matches.
    • Participants need to update in new posts; after a post has followed by your previous update (regardless the post after yours belongs to a participant or not). You can simply write a line or write a journal or even fiction for a day, just make sure they are recorded clearly; the TM, the wins, the captures must be mentioned explicitly.
    • Once the Global Monotype Race has begun and the participant happened to be our Flying-type Representative, he/she is allowed to be immune from updating here. But the participant must update their progress in the Global Monotype Race thread, so that their progress can be keep tracked on for the Sky High Monotype Race.
    • The RACE STARTS NOW!! No not yet, it goes simultaneously with the Global Monotype Race. But please sign up if you are interested!

GOAL

• The Sky High Monotype Race officially ends once all participants have defeated the Champion.
    • Additional scores for those who explored all post-game places and done all post-game events.

• Every team begins with 200 Pts.
    • Catching a new Flying Pokemon species gives 10 Pts. (Including Legendary and Mythical kinds, you are just forbidden to use them).
    • Evolving into a new Flying Pokemon species gives 20 Pts.
    • Winning a Rival battle (per) gives 25 Pts. (Make sure not to forget!)
    • Winning a Gym Leader battle (per) gives 50 Pts.
    • Winning Elite Four battles (as a whole) gives 200 Pts.
    • Winning the first battle with Kyurem gives 100 Pts.
    • Winning the first battle with Ghetsis gives 100 Pts.
    • 10 Points for every TM collected. (Make sure to let us know!) [HM doesn't count]
    • First person to record in Hall of Fame 500 Pts. (Must send Sun a PM with vid/pic-proof for verifying, failing to send PM doesn't count.)
    • First team to complete the whole Race (including post-game content as mentioned from 'GOAL') 1000 Pts. (Must send Sun a PM with vid/pic-proof for verifying, failing to send PM doesn't count.) [This also marks the end for the Sky High Monotype Race.]
    • With every images1 provided for the aforementioned progress an additional 50 Pts is given.
      Please click the spoiler tag below for clear demonstrations
      Spoiler:
    • With every video2 provided for the aforementioned progress an additional 80 Pts is given.
      Please click the spoiler tag below for clear demonstrations
      Spoiler:
    • PWT matches with your rival and any Gym Leaders do not count.
    • Only the successful initial match and successful first rematch with the Elite Four gives points.
    • The initial match on Aspertia lookout, Floccesy Ranch match and the rematch with your rival in Driftveil City during post-game do not give points.

1, 2 Images and videos do not need to be HQ and/or HD. However, the contents should be at least visibly clear.
      Additionally random images or videos for points are prohibited; they are limited for Point-gaining related events (See 'POINTS' for definition). Participants are more than welcomed to share, however.

Image and video credits: ZackScottGames

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Here's the Global PokéClub event![/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=356065

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Beautifly and Dustox are sadly under the group known as novelty Pokémon, to showcase the split evolution through personality value, a mechanic introduced in Generation III games. So that's the whole line has actually little to none usage competitively and she's slightly decent for early in-game teams. Fortunately Beautifly has her uses for Pokémon Contests, if you are into collecting Ribbons, May from the anime even uses Beautifly for Contest. Ah wait, that was a decade ago. Lol

The butterflies are useful early game to their quick evolution, but get quickly outclassed, around level 20-25, by other Pokémon, therefore I've rarely used them. The regional birds on the other hand, are still very useful team members, even late game and I often still have one of them, or something like Crobat, on my main team when battling the Champion. They all evolve at a low level too, maybe not level 10 low, but it's not much higher.
    I can't speak much about contests, I've never really liked them in the games. In the anime they're a nice addition though.

I guess that's what makes Flying-type unique. Unlike Water and Fire, which are common element like the Wind, the wind don't take any shape and forms; they are strong forces. So it makes perfect sense why they can't be a lone type normally. While Tornadus appearance seems to contradict this statement, it actually proves the statement since he represents the tornado, a strong wind! :)

Mmm, but I don't think many would have complained if they decided to keep the rule intact and made Tornadus a normal/flying type too. It sounds a bit strange for a legendary Pokémon, but Tornadus's therian forme is a bird just like many normal/flying type Pokémon.

There also used to be a rule that all flying types were typed as something/flying and never flying/something, not even with the normal/flying birds, until Noibat and Noivern, as flying/dragon, came around. I wonder why that happened?

That pic reminds me of Rhodanthe and Gust from Telefang.

Ah, as I don't really know Telefang, I've heard about it and that's about it, that's not what I based it on, but they might have got their inspiration from the standard fantasy representation of air elementals too.

Also I'm joining the Race, but as it seems unnecessary extra typing to put everything in two places I'm just leaving a link here.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    The butterflies are useful early game to their quick evolution, but get quickly outclassed, around level 20-25, by other Pokémon, therefore I've rarely used them. The regional birds on the other hand, are still very useful team members, even late game and I often still have one of them, or something like Crobat, on my main team when battling the Champion. They all evolve at a low level too, maybe not level 10 low, but it's not much higher.
    I can't speak much about contests, I've never really liked them in the games. In the anime they're a nice addition though.
    Yeah most bugs are in the early-mon frame. It's understandable why they aren't as strong as most final evolution stages -- they evolve early, it's going to be a cakewalk if they are that strong. Just imagine if you have access to a Typhlosion shortly after defeating Falkner. While I like Flying-type, the type is more like a curse than an actual help to the butterflies.

Spoiler:

The Noivern line and Tornadus are indeed unique! I guess these Pokémon are going to make a great topic soon!

Also I'm joining the Race, but as it seems unnecessary extra typing to put everything in two places I'm just leaving a link here.
    Will do! I'll start my Flying Mono Race here, as soon as you decided which game to play with. :)

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • I wouldn't say outclassed, considering I've seen Butterfree used in wifi battles.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • How about the likes of Beautifly, Masquerain and Yanmega? :o
    Yanmega with Speed Boost, Protect, Bug Buzz, Air Slash are the ones I've run across. The Fire/Bug since we're kinda talking about Bugs is also a favorite. Beautifly can learn Quiver Dance to boost speed, as well as Bug Buzz. Though have not seen many. I used 1 in XY though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back