• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

☁ Sky High ☁ Flying-type Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
  • Xatu is an interesting Pokémon, the Natu line were the very first Psychic/Flying dual types. They learn a lot of interesting moves (through various methods) like Giga Drain, Heat Wave and so on, which makes them more unique. Magic Bounce is also a great Hidden Ability for Xatu. Unfortunately it doesn't have an outstanding competitive stat to make it stand out among its Psychic or bird peers (on a competitive aspect). It deserves more than that stats, so receiving a Mega Evolution is the only way to make it shine brighter!

Indeed. I'm glad it got access to some more moves by simple levelling. I remember training a Xatu in Gen III and it only learned Peck, Night Shade and Psychic as offensive moves by itself. Psychic not even before level 65, which was terrible. Reusable TMs and some added moves did the Pokémon well and Magic Bounce is one of the most amazing abilities. I still doubt if its Mega (if it were to get one) would make it being used more competitively, as there would be a lot more useful Mega Pokémon out there and it's not bulky enough to make the best use of Magic Bounce.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Indeed. I'm glad it got access to some more moves by simple levelling. I remember training a Xatu in Gen III and it only learned Peck, Night Shade and Psychic as offensive moves by itself. Psychic not even before level 65, which was terrible. Reusable TMs and some added moves did the Pokémon well and Magic Bounce is one of the most amazing abilities. I still doubt if its Mega (if it were to get one) would make it being used more competitively, as there would be a lot more useful Mega Pokémon out there and it's not bulky enough to make the best use of Magic Bounce.

True that; not every Mega Evolution improves a Pokémon/makes it more popular. Mega Audino is one of the classic example, who falls on the NU tier. Good news is there's a steady but slow progress on Xatu. :) It learns Heat Wave via Move Tutors from Gen IV games (not DP), it has access to one of the amazing Ability, Magic Bounce, as a Hidden Ability in Gen V. Finally, it's level up learnset has been altered in OrAs. It learns Air Slash at Level 25 and the move Psychic at Level 35, instead of the usual Level 50s to 60s. :) Mega Xatu would be great if it has the base stat of a Mega Pidgeot!

Lycanthropy and fellow members, if you wanna make a new topic feel free to do so; as long as the active members have answered the topics and there's no more further discussions going on with the current topic, then you can make a topic.~

P.S. Main topics can be extended with sub-topics. ;)

Lycanthropy

Years
  • True that; not every Mega Evolution improves a Pokémon/makes it more popular. Mega Audino is one of the classic example, who falls on the NU tier. Good news is there's a steady but slow progress on Xatu. :) It learns Heat Wave via Move Tutors from Gen IV games (not DP), it has access to one of the amazing Ability, Magic Bounce, as a Hidden Ability in Gen V. Finally, it's level up learnset has been altered in OrAs. It learns Air Slash at Level 25 and the move Psychic at Level 35, instead of the usual Level 50s to 60s. :) Mega Xatu would be great if it has the base stat of a Mega Pidgeot!

Mega Pidgeot is something special indeed. Its normal form has a higher base attack than special attack, but upon Mega evolving it almost doubles its special attack, keeping is attack at 80. Xatu would be perfect when it would get such immense SpA boost along with some speed. (And a cloak, it totally needs a cloak.)

So it's not the most advanced topic, but...
    What are your favorite flying type moves? Why?

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Mega Pidgeot is something special indeed. Its normal form has a higher base attack than special attack, but upon Mega evolving it almost doubles its special attack, keeping is attack at 80. Xatu would be perfect when it would get such immense SpA boost along with some speed. (And a cloak, it totally needs a cloak.)

So it's not the most advanced topic, but...

You're spelling what's in my mind! {XD}

Hopefully a useful Mega Evolution will be introduced in the next coming game(s). Xatu is one of those who needs a Mega boost as it has potential and no more Mega Audino-ish Megas puhleeeeaase.

There's nothing wrong with the topic.~
    Don't kill me for copy-pasting my answer though. :P

Unapologetic Sunflower said:
    My favorite would be Brave Bird! Despite the recoil, I love how insanely strong that move is! My Staraptor and Talonflame spam this move a lot. It's most likely an OHKO (or two) after using this move.

The Flying-type Status Move I am fond of is Tail Wind, it's one of the best supportive moves out there!

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Well, if there's nobody else (aside Unapologetic) who's going to answer the topic, I'm just going to share my opinion.

My favorite move is the classic Wing Attack thanks to nostalgia and its PP is close to infinite, certainly if you compare it to other moves of similar power. I have used it a lot on my Staraptor in the first Pokémon game I've ever played. Starly learn the move in level 9, which is incredibly early. At the time, it's heavenly overpowered and even later in the game it's a decent move with full accuracy. The high number of PP was incredibly useful when I was grinding by beating wild Geodude (yes, don't look at me, first game).

Another very useful move is Air Slash, high power and a chance of flinching, which comes good in handy as most flying types have a fairly decent base speed. Combined with a Thunder Wave the opponent has a high chance to be blocked.

My favorite status move is Roost for sure, free healing is always great.

My favorite would be Brave Bird! Despite the recoil, I love how insanely strong that move is! My Staraptor and Talonflame spam this move a lot. It's most likely an OHKO (or two) after using this move.

The Flying-type Status Move I am fond of is Tail Wind, it's one of the best supportive moves out there!

I'm personally not much of a fan of recoil moves, at least not in-game. Competitively Brave Bird is a decent move though, certainly when combined with Roost. I've never made much use of Tail Wind, but I guess I should try it sometimes.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Well, if there's nobody else (aside Unapologetic) who's going to answer the topic, I'm just going to share my opinion.

My favorite move is the classic Wing Attack thanks to nostalgia and its PP is close to infinite, certainly if you compare it to other moves of similar power. I have used it a lot on my Staraptor in the first Pokémon game I've ever played. Starly learn the move in level 9, which is incredibly early. At the time, it's heavenly overpowered and even later in the game it's a decent move with full accuracy. The high number of PP was incredibly useful when I was grinding by beating wild Geodude (yes, don't look at me, first game).

Another very useful move is Air Slash, high power and a chance of flinching, which comes good in handy as most flying types have a fairly decent base speed. Combined with a Thunder Wave the opponent has a high chance to be blocked.

My favorite status move is Roost for sure, free healing is always great.

I'm personally not much of a fan of recoil moves, at least not in-game. Competitively Brave Bird is a decent move though, certainly when combined with Roost. I've never made much use of Tail Wind, but I guess I should try it sometimes.

I'm afraid we're the only active members here, but never give up! :)

Back in the Gen I days, Wing Attack is considered as a good and decent move already. Since it has a relatively high accuracy. I was also surprised when Starly learns Wing Attack early, as the Pidgey line learns the said move late!

That combo can be used by Togekiss, I wonder if the now-part Fairy was in your mind when you were typing Air Slash! {XD}

Yep, Brave Bird is not to be abused or used for sweeping because of the recoil. I wish the recoil was the same as Close Combat. :( That honor was taken by Dragon Ascent, a Flying type move despite the name.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018

My favorite flying move would have to be fly. It's my favorite mainly because it's used as a form of transportation. And it's the only move that I can remember using the most.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

My Psychic-type Club currently has a Psychic Monotype Challenge on air, it's quite well received by the club members.

Current topic:
    Shall we organize a Flying Monotype Challenge as well? Why?
    If you're supportive of it, which games* we should consider?

(In case of hacked games, make sure the game at least allows us to complete the main plot and compete for the Pokémon League.)

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Current topic:

(In case of hacked games, make sure the game at least allows us to complete the main plot and compete for the Pokémon League.)
    I personally wouldn't mind taking on this challenge, considering I've never done any monotype challenge before. I don't think I've seen anyone do a mono flying one (except for maybe a Youtuber).
    I think any game would do, but I would say games from gen 2 or gem 3 onward for more diversity (even though RBY have a decent amount of flying types like farfecht'd, charizard, pudgy line, spearow line, the 3 legendary birds and dragonite).

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Back in the Gen I days, Wing Attack is considered as a good and decent move already. Since it has a relatively high accuracy. I was also surprised when Starly learns Wing Attack early, as the Pidgey line learns the said move late!

Back in the Gen I days Wing Attack used to have a base power of no more than 35, so I can't really call that a decent move. Why Pidgey don't even learn it in a fairly low level gets even more questionable if you think about the low base power at the time.

My Psychic-type Club currently has a Psychic Monotype Challenge on air, it's quite well received by the club members.

Current topic:

Great idea! I say we should do this. Why? Well, why not? I've always wanted to try a monotype, but I never started it. Flying would be a great type, because it still allows a very versatile team. As for games, I don't have any the sixth generation games, so those are out of option for me. I don't have a preference for any of the others.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I personally wouldn't mind taking on this challenge, considering I've never done any monotype challenge before. I don't think I've seen anyone do a mono flying one (except for maybe a Youtuber).
    I think any game would do, but I would say games from gen 2 or gem 3 onward for more diversity (even though RBY have a decent amount of flying types like farfecht'd, charizard, pudgy line, spearow line, the 3 legendary birds and dragonite).

Oops I didn't realized that Wing Attack old mechanic. :(

Let's see...
    Kanto based games
    Charizard, Gyarados, Dragonite, Zubat line (Crobat is only available in Gen III games, additionally National Dex is needed), Pidgey line, Spearow line, Aerodactyl, Doduo line, Scyther, Butterfree, Farfetch'd.

Johto based games
    Charizard, Gyarados, Dragonite, Zubat line, Pidgey line, Spearow line, Aerodactyl, Doduo line, Scyther, Butterfree, Hoothoot line, Ledyba line, Togetic, Hoppip, Yanma (Its evolution Yanmega is only available in Gen IV games), Murkrow, Gligar, Delibird, Mantine, Farfetch'd, Skarmory.

Italic names indicate they can be only caught by trading from Gen I games.
    Bold names indicate their evolution forms are only available in Gen IV games and additionally they cannot be evolved before defeating the Champion.

Hoenn based games (Only Gen III)
    Tailow line, Wingull line, Beautifly, Doduo line, Gyarados, Zubat line, Masquerain, Ninjask, Swablu line, Tropius, Salamence, Skarmory.

Sinnoh based games
    Starly line, Combee line, Beautifly, Hoothoot line, Gyarados, Zubat line, Drifloon line, Murkrow line, Chatot, Mantyke line, Wingull line, Tropius, Scyther, Togetic and Togekiss, Yanma line, Swablu line, Gligar line

Bold names indicate they are only available in Platinum normally.

Unova based games
    Pidove, Vullaby line, Rufflet line, Woobat, Sigilyph, Archen line, Emolga, Ducklett line, Combee line, Mantyke line, Wingull line, Tropius, Yanma line (Post-game), Gligar line, Zubat line, Drifloon line, Swablu line, Delibird, Skarmory.

Bold names indicate they are only available in Black 2 and White 2 versions normally.

As mentioned before, any hacks are welcomed as long as they have a wide variety of Flying-type Pokémon. In case of non-Flying types edited as Flying-types, they can be used. While Flying-types that are no longer part of the said type cannot be used.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Everyone knows this, but I need to include this in case there might be new members. You can play roms, just do not ask for roms in any sections or by any forms of messaging. It violates the global PokéCommunity rules. Thank you![/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Lycanthropy

Years
  • So what do you say about BW2? It has the most options for Pokémon, which means we won't all be playing with nearly the same team.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    So what do you say about BW2? It has the most options for Pokémon, which means we won't all be playing with nearly the same team.

Both Platinum and B2W2 are promising. :)

I'm not suggesting the following games, but I really can't help and feel sorry for Gen I and all Gen III games's lack of Flying-type Pokémon.

GSC and HGSS aren't anywhere better on the said department either. :/

Years
  • - Your nickname: Draco/Seth
    - Your Flying-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Starly
    - Reason for joining the club: I admire Flying-type Pokemon because of the unique control that they have over the skies. The ability to fly is not only useful in battle, but with transport as well; it is a capability that is dreamed of by people and Pokemon alike. My favorite bird Pokemon is Staraptor due to its cool design and ability to learn Close Combat, a move that makes it easy to fend off against types that would normally be advantageous (Ice, Rock, and Steel)

Which Flying-type Pokémon deserves a Mega Evolution?
    Swellow. In terms of stats and movepool, it seems to be lagging behind some of the other regional birds, and becomes more fragile compared to the other birds after a certain height in level; add to that the fact that it it's line only has two stages in evolution. To an extent, the same can also be said about Noctowl.

Which Flying-type Mega Evolution does not deserve its Mega Evolution?
    I don't really think that any of the Flying type megas up to ORAS isn't worthy of their new evolutions. That being said though, Gyarados got even more bulk from it's mega despite already having quite a bit of it. Granted, it does lose its Ground immunity but...

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    - Your nickname: Draco/Seth
    - Your Flying-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Starly
    - Reason for joining the club: I admire Flying-type Pokemon because of the unique control that they have over the skies. The ability to fly is not only useful in battle, but with transport as well; it is a capability that is dreamed of by people and Pokemon alike. My favorite bird Pokemon is Staraptor due to its cool design and ability to learn Close Combat, a move that makes it easy to fend off against types that would normally be advantageous (Ice, Rock, and Steel)

Which Flying-type Pokémon deserves a Mega Evolution?
    Swellow. In terms of stats and movepool, it seems to be lagging behind some of the other regional birds, and becomes more fragile compared to the other birds after a certain height in level; add to that the fact that it it's line only has two stages in evolution. To an extent, the same can also be said about Noctowl.

Which Flying-type Mega Evolution does not deserve its Mega Evolution?
    I don't really think that any of the Flying type megas up to ORAS isn't worthy of their new evolutions. That being said though, Gyarados got even more bulk from it's mega despite already having quite a bit of it. Granted, it does lose its Ground immunity but...

Hey Seth thanks for joining this Club! I don't mean to scare you or pressure you, but this club is very strict with the attendance. {XD}
    With that aside, please come up and join us with the Flying Monotype Event: Planning and Suggestion now. :) We're trying to plan our first ever event for this club! :D

Years
  • Shall we organize a Flying Monotype Challenge as well? Why?
    Yes! I've never done any nuzlocke, monotype, or challenge run before, so this is something that sounds very exciting to me. It's worth noting though that progress updates from me would be a bit scarce due to school and everything going on this month. Having played so much of RSE, I have good confidence that I would be able to do a Flying monotype run of those games, but not as much with Emerald due to the adjustments made to Gym Leader teams. Like Wattson's Magneton

I can't really say anything about the RBY and Sinnoh games, because I've played too little of those games to have a decent judgement on their availability of Flying type Pokemon. Gen III and IV seem to have a good amount of them in terms of combinations, and a lot of the ones present in their games are quite the powerhouses too. However, would non-flying pre-evos be exceptions to the restriction? (ie. 'mons such as Caterpie, Bagon, and Dratini)

Years
  • Thanks for your feedback, Seth! :)

Here's a list of available Flying-type Pokémon from each main games-regions bar Kalos, as Lycan doesn't have it; it's better if we can all experience the same adventure and share our experiences right here in this thread! ^_^

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8920020#post8920020

Actually, I had read that before making the post. What I meant to say by "availability" was that I didn't know the points in the mentioned games (early-game, post-league etc.) where you would be able to get the listed Pokemon, which would probably have some effect on the difficulty of the run. Sorry for not clarifying :)

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Actually, I had read that before making the post. What I meant to say by "availability" was that I didn't know the points in the mentioned games (early-game, post-league etc.) where you would be able to get the listed Pokemon, which would probably have some effect on the difficulty of the run. Sorry for not clarifying :)
    They are all available before Elite Four, unless otherwise stated like Yanma from the Unova based games category. :P

I can also write exact locations for the available Pokémon after we've chosen which game to play.~ In fact I did that for the Psychic-type Club already! {XD}

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I would personally like to do B2/W2 for the mono challenge . Of course that's me, but I'm willing to do any game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back