• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Hey first post here, I want to edit Pokemon Emerald, so that all Pokemon are available, is there a tool to edit wild Pokemon location, levels, rarity? and what program would you recommend for making scripts for legendary Pokemon?

Advance Map is a tool that will allow you to do anything you want with the species/ levels/ rarity of wild Pokemon everywhere. This document details how the rarity can be figured out in Advance Map.

Making scripts for legendary Pokemon can be made using any script creator/ editor, but I would personally recommend eXtreme Script Editor (XSE). It is likely that it will be daunting for someone who is just starting out, but once you read the tutorials and get the hang of it you'll find it as easy as pie.

streetbackguy

Whats an Internet?
Years
Can anyone please tell me the hex offsets of all pokemon that exist in FR/LG? I have no idea how to find it, and HackMews tutorial didn't help me much.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Hey.

i have just started to get into "Emulation"

i was so amazed that i quickly found a tutorial that came with everything i needed to make my own..

I'm an experience C# coder

But i'm clueless with making a ROM

As in... how do i edit the intro and so on..

Could anyone help? :P

Thanks

You know, maybe hackers may look like wizards, but how are we supposed to help you if you don't provide information on the game you intend to hack, nor even on the console/platform you are going to work?

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Ok so new problem.
I finally got the sprites indexed. I put it in the rom, after I find a place to put it with FSF. unlzGBA says it worked and it's in. It looks normal in the rom file. I play the rom, and when I get to the sprite it's all messed up, like it was torn apart by a dog.

Am I inserting the sprite wrong? Do I need to replace the palette for the pokemon when I insert it?
Yes like Destinedjagold said, make sure it's 64x64 pixels in height and width. Also, are you sure the background is first in the palette? Or maybe you didn't use Free Space Finer properly and you re-pointed in a wrong place. You don't need to re-point unless unlz-GBA says that it cannot insert the sprite. And when it does say to re-point, it shows something in hexadecimal. Convert it to decimal with the built-in tool FSF has, and then find your free space that way.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hey first post here, I want to edit Pokemon Emerald, so that all Pokemon are available, is there a tool to edit wild Pokemon location, levels, rarity? and what program would you recommend for making scripts for legendary Pokemon?

Advance Map is the best tool to edit the wild PKMN in a certain map.
You can also edit maps with the said tool.

XSE, created by HackMew, is currently the best scripting tool that I recommend to use.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2010
i'm hacking FR, I gotta know, how do I change/edit the sprites in the intro? Not the intro with Nidorino, but when you choose your gender and name your rival?

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
Yes like Destinedjagold said, make sure it's 64x64 pixels in height and width. Also, are you sure the background is first in the palette? Or maybe you didn't use Free Space Finer properly and you re-pointed in a wrong place. You don't need to re-point unless unlz-GBA says that it cannot insert the sprite. And when it does say to re-point, it shows something in hexadecimal. Convert it to decimal with the built-in tool FSF has, and then find your free space that way.

Ok. My sprite is 64x64. And the background is first in the palette. Which button helps convert hex to dec?

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
So I decided to play around with some pretty simple hacking stuff. Using the patch, I got the DPSS system working and I figured I might try to add some of the new attacks. I figured the easiest way to do that would be to edit some to the clone attacks (Harder/Defense Curl) into the new ones, and that is also working fine. Now, I just need to edit the attack animations so that X-Scissor doesn't look like howl. I saw this asked a few times, but wasn't really sure I understood the responses. So I have two questions:

1. Can I get a step by step for changing one animation to another; for example giving Howl the Fury Cutter animation? I figured hex editing would be the easiest, but I don't know where the pointers to the attacks are stored to change them.

Also I would like to have wild Deoxys and Mew that will actually obey. Fixing Mew was easy with a hex edit at 0x1D402. Switching 97 (151 in dec) to 00 eliminates the problem.

2. Is there a similar procedure for getting rid of the Deoxys check? I saw a 182 (386 in dec) in the area, but setting it to 000 didn't help.

So I figured out my second question. Changing 0x1D3E3 from 19 0B to 00 00 fixes Deoxys (386 + 25 for the blanks in hex is 19B)

I'm still hoping to get some info on switching attack animations in FireRed though.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
So I figured out my second question. Changing 0x1D3E3 from 19 0B to 00 00 fixes Deoxys (386 + 25 for the blanks in hex is 19B)

I'm still hoping to get some info on switching attack animations in FireRed though.

Well, the only way that comes to mind would be to find the offset for the attack you want to edit, and the offset for the data of the move you're taking animation from, and open them up in a hex editor, you're bound to find something... (It will most likley be a pointer, try swapping pointers around trial/error style until you get some results, then document it and post it up in the forums for future use.)

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
@0m3GA
The only problem is that I don't know where to start looking or what to look for. Is there a table for the animation pointers somewhere, and if so are they in the same order as the move table? This is my first foray into hacking so it would be nice if I could get instructions for changing one move, because I'm pretty sure I could get the others from there.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
@0m3GA
The only problem is that I don't know where to start looking or what to look for. Is there a table for the animation pointers somewhere, and if so are they in the same order as the move table? This is my first foray into hacking so it would be nice if I could get instructions for changing one move, because I'm pretty sure I could get the others from there.

I can't really help you much more, I've never needed to make one move use anothers animation... Try looking at a .ini file that comes with an attack editing program for the attack data table, learn the attack data structure, and you may find what you need.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
I know where the attack table is (0x250C04; starts with Pound), and how the data for each one is stored (12 bytes per attack). It's just that the pointer for the animation is not stored in the attack data itself. Its actually kinda frustrating to know what I need to find but have no idea where to actually look. I'm just hoping that there is a big table for the pointers somewhere and that the table is in the same order as the attacks themselves.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I know where the attack table is (0x250C04; starts with Pound), and how the data for each one is stored (12 bytes per attack). It's just that the pointer for the animation is not stored in the attack data itself. Its actually kinda frustrating to know what I need to find but have no idea where to actually look. I'm just hoping that there is a big table for the pointers somewhere and that the table is in the same order as the attacks themselves.

Can't help you much then, ASM is your friend...

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
menu error

okay so I have tried to search through the forum, and found one guy who had the same problem as mine, however there wasnt any solutions that could help me, so I was hoping somone colud give me an answer on this:)

Okay so I have inserted a script, this is the only thing I have edited in the room, but when i start to play the startmenu, down where the text is, gets pretty messedup, the script itself works fine though..

here is the script if anyone wants to know(it is pretty long thoug):

Spoiler:

would apreciate any answers :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Ok. My sprite is 64x64. And the background is first in the palette. Which button helps convert hex to dec?
Open Free Space Finder. At the bottom-right corner is Dec/Hex and two boxes. In the order the two words are, is the order of which box converts to what. The first box under those words in decimal, and the second box is hexadecimal. Type your hexadecimal number in the second box, and then the first box will have the number you need for bytes to get your free space.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
does anyone know a url where i can download usable map tilesets for ruby?

Premade tilesets are harder to come by, you'll have a harder time finding one than just inserting the tiles yourself... or finding a tileset patch...
Try taking a look in the ROM Hacking Resources thread for all your resource needs!

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
Thanks for the previous posters for helping me. Sorry if this doesn't count as a simple question, didn't want to start a thread if it doesn't.

I'm trying to make a script on Pokemon Emerald, where Flannery is in Fiery Path in the location where you get the fire stone I believe, basically in the script I want her to say "I came here to train after you beat me, blah blah blah..." Then say something like I found these 2 Pokemon while training here and asking if you want them? If you say no, she stays there, if yes then you get the Pokemon, she says you won't regret it. Then when you talk to her again she says how're those Pokemon getting on? then i'm done with my training i'm going to return to my gym, then have her walk out, screen fade black, then back to normal.

This is the script i have so far:
#org $firepokemongive
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x1200
if 0x01 goto $done
message $question
$question 1 = FLANNERY: Hey, I locked myself in here\nafter you beat me to train, I found these\ptwo rare Pokemon CYNDAQUIL and CHARMANDER\pwhile in here do you want them?
boxset 5
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 0x01 goto $yes
message $no
$no 1 = Oh okay, I'll go back to my training
boxset 6
release
end

#org $yes
message $yes1
$yes1 1 = I'm glad, you won't regret it.
boxset 6
givepokemon 4 10 0x00
message $receive1
$receive1 1 = Player received a CHARMANDER
givepokemon 155 10 0x00
message $receive2
$receive2 1 = Player received a CYNDAQUIL
message $hope
$hope 1 = FLANNERY: I hope those Pokemon serve you well.
setflag 0x1200
release
end

#org $done
message $goodbye
$goodbye 1 = FLANNERY: How're those Pokemon getting on?/nI'm done training here I will return\p back to LAVERIDGE to my GYM\nThank you and good luck.
applymovement 8 $move
$move 1 ; #binary 0x02 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0xFE
pausemove 0x0000
fadescreen 1
removesprite 8
setflag 0x1201
pause 0x10
fadescreen 0
release
end

I am having several issues with it while testing:
1. text not appearing all in the box (I'm guessing this is trial and error though)
2. the player received pokemon messages don't appear
3. when i talk to her again, she doesn't say anything, the screen just flashes black and then back to normal and she's still there.

Can anyone help? massive thanks if you can.

EDIT: Also, yesterday I found on here something about check party pokemon, to see if theres enough space for the pokemon to fit in the party, how would I go about implementing that?

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Thanks for the previous posters for helping me. Sorry if this doesn't count as a simple question, didn't want to start a thread if it doesn't.

I'm trying to make a script on Pokemon Emerald, where Flannery is in Fiery Path in the location where you get the fire stone I believe, basically in the script I want her to say "I came here to train after you beat me, blah blah blah..." Then say something like I found these 2 Pokemon while training here and asking if you want them? If you say no, she stays there, if yes then you get the Pokemon, she says you won't regret it. Then when you talk to her again she says how're those Pokemon getting on? then i'm done with my training i'm going to return to my gym, then have her walk out, screen fade black, then back to normal.

This is the script i have so far:
#org $firepokemongive
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x1200
if 0x01 goto $done
message $question
$question 1 = FLANNERY: Hey, I locked myself in here\nafter you beat me to train, I found these\ptwo rare Pokemon CYNDAQUIL and CHARMANDER\pwhile in here do you want them?
boxset 5
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 0x01 goto $yes
message $no
$no 1 = Oh okay, I'll go back to my training
boxset 6
release
end

#org $yes
message $yes1
$yes1 1 = I'm glad, you won't regret it.
boxset 6
givepokemon 4 10 0x00
message $receive1
$receive1 1 = Player received a CHARMANDER
givepokemon 155 10 0x00
message $receive2
$receive2 1 = Player received a CYNDAQUIL
message $hope
$hope 1 = FLANNERY: I hope those Pokemon serve you well.
setflag 0x1200
release
end

#org $done
message $goodbye
$goodbye 1 = FLANNERY: How're those Pokemon getting on?/nI'm done training here I will return\p back to LAVERIDGE to my GYM\nThank you and good luck.
applymovement 8 $move
$move 1 ; #binary 0x02 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0xFE
pausemove 0x0000
fadescreen 1
removesprite 8
setflag 0x1201
pause 0x10
fadescreen 0
release
end

I am having several issues with it while testing:
1. text not appearing all in the box (I'm guessing this is trial and error though)
2. the player received pokemon messages don't appear
3. when i talk to her again, she doesn't say anything, the screen just flashes black and then back to normal and she's still there.

Can anyone help? massive thanks if you can.

EDIT: Also, yesterday I found on here something about check party pokemon, to see if theres enough space for the pokemon to fit in the party, how would I go about implementing that?

This is something that would have been better placed in the script help thread. I'm not sure what script compiler you're using but I know how to generally answer your question.

1. If you're using XSE use the Text Adjuster in the tools tab. Although the better you get at scripting the less you'll need it and the more you'll know when to end it.

2. That doesn't happen automagically you have to put it in manually. This means you'll have to use a fanfare > msgbox 4 > waitfanfare > closeonkeypress. Obviously the message in msgbox 4 would be [player] recieved [X] and [Y]

3. If you want her to disappear you have to put a flag in her box in A-Map. It should say person ID. In the case of your script the flag you would put in the ID is 1201

4. Again if you're using XSE the command would be countpokemon > compare 0x800D 0x4 > if 0x2 goto @(pointer that says that there isn't enough room in your party)

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
Thanks for the reply, quick noobish question, where abouts can I find a list of things like the fanfare music, and movements for Pokemon Emerald? I've been working off youtube videos for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back