• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Famicom aka. Nintendo Entertainment System (NES™) Discussion Thread

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
Years
I wanna see if I can get some rare games. Someone at work told me that they had 2 copies of the NWC 1990 cart - One Gold, and one grey. idk if she's bsing me, but if she does have them, I'd be jelly out of this universe.

Yeah? Cause damn, those games are extremely rare; there's only about a few in the world. @___@
But if you will get them, then I'd say you're extremely lucky! <3

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
With Cheetahmen, it's amazing how much they tried to push the game. Like with the comic book that sold with the game, and I think there were plans for action figures? They probably should have focused more on making the game good before saying that it was "hot selling." Which is what they slapped on the cover sticker for the Caltron 6-in-1 cartridge, and how many people have that?

That's an expensive sticker, haha. Anyway, did you see that thing where they tried to remake Cheetahmen and it turned out to be some sort of scam? idk the full details, but yeah...you could probably find it on YouTube. I'm sure it would have been a good game though.

AND NOW...THE CHEETAHMEN.

tigerBLADE

Years
Hahaha yeah they pushed that game soooo much. :x They really had faith that it was going to be a "thing". :(

Unfortunately, it didn't turned out as planned; it really could of been the next TMNT.

Speaking of amphibians... did anyone play Battletoads?

1322859469-00.jpg

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Hahaha yeah they pushed that game soooo much. :x They really had faith that it was going to be a "thing". :(

Unfortunately, it didn't turned out as planned; it really could of been the next TMNT.

Speaking of amphibians... did anyone play Battletoads?

1322859469-00.jpg

I have Battletoads & Double Dragon on the Gameboy, does that count?

Spoiler:

For the games I can't get, I might get repros or a flashcard to play them. I know of a few games I just can't find that I'd like to get. And if I could, I want to get a Famicom - NES converter pin so I can import Famicom games until I get a Famicom (And hopefully a disk system attachment).

Eh? Aren't the disk attachments expensive as heck? Though I could be wrong.

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
I've seen junk FDS being sold for $15 + shipping on forums, but they're a crapshoot. Ones that have been fully serviced easily fetch $100. They're too finicky for my tastes, though.

I plan on getting an Everdrive M8 at some point, due to it having FDS compatibility. I just need to get around to doing a proper AV mod to my Famicom (or just shell out the money for a proper AV Fami) and I should be set.

tabor62

Years

tigerBLADE

Years
That game is pretty rare, haha.

But I really didn't know it was worth that much. @___@; But yeah, that lady is extremely fortunate!

tigerBLADE

Years
Nah. She was probably pulling my leg on those. Unless I saw them in-person, I'm kinda doubting that she does have them. And even if she did have them, I don't think she'd give them away. I know RetroUSB sells repro copies that run for the 6:19 the competitors had, but having a genuine version with the DIP switches would be cooler.

Oh. :(

Well, eh, yeah, maybe she wouldn't of gave them away if she knew the values of them. I think I saw a clear copy of the games, but... those were clear; anyone can get them.

Hey guys I have a question

Gameboy=Portable Nes?

Are you asking that the Gameboy is like a portable NES? Not really. Although, interestingly enough, there was a guy who created an actual portable NES:

Main_with_game_running.jpg

And it suprisignly worked perfectly. @___@ He even had steps to do it, so maybe you can check it out! Other wise, no, I wouldn't consider the Gameboy to be a portable NES. There was only more ports of the NES games, but those were for the Game Boy Advance.

tigerBLADE

Years
To be honest, I really want a portable NES. I'd buy more NES games just because I'd have more places to play them besides a TV.

Well, there's also the Virtual Console for the 3Ds. We can still purchase NES titles from that, onto our 3Ds, and play NES titles from there.

Though I only bought Balloon Fight so far. :(

tabor62

Years
I also think that the Ambassador games should have been better. I only play like a third of them (including the GBA ones). I'd have to agree with you about having a physical copy (or at least an official download), it just makes it better with a different reason for everyone of course. No nolstalgia for me though, since I grew up with a Gameboy and not a NES, I just think it's cooler to play with an actual NES.

tabor62

Years
How dare you try and sell your NES? (At least sell it to me, cuz I'm looking for a cheap one :P) Do you play with it at all?

tigerBLADE

Years
Does the NES have the capability to run forever?

I've heard that eventually the Gameboy's cartrage 'battery' would die out... I'm wondering if this holds true for the NES. Because I did have problems re-activating my old NEs from a few years ago.

tabor62

Years
Unfortunately NES games also run on an internal battery :(

So you'll have to replace them just like with a Gameboy when they stop saving.

tigerBLADE

Years
Unfortunately NES games also run on an internal battery :(

So you'll have to replace them just like with a Gameboy when they stop saving.

Aw, really? That sucks. :(

I was hoping to get a top loader to play the classic NES games since I saw one at a local flea market..
Oh but wait; they would still play, but they'd just stop saving?

tabor62

Years
Yeah, so it's fine for games where you don't need to save. But unless you plan to beat The Legend of Zelda in one sitting or never turning off the NES, you'd better replace the battery eventually.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Hey guys I have a question

Gameboy=Portable Nes?
DMG-001 and NES were both 8-bit platforms, but the Game Boy is not a portable NES.

The Game Boy had a more powerful processor than the NES and was capable of stereo sound output (through headphones). However, it had a smaller screen resolution and was limited to four shades of grey (or green, rather).

Whatever benefits it had was put largely towards the portability. On the whole, the Game Boy is perceived as being inferior to the NES.

Personally, I think the Game Boy had a much greater library of games. I don't think it was due to hardware though. Look some late-gen NES games. Now imagine if that kind of development continued. Basically, developers got better and learned to work within the limitations.

Link's Awakening, for instance, I'd say is better than even its SNES counterpart. The Mega Man games were great. And there were a lot of ports and sequels to NES games that were just as good.

I think the Game Boy Color actually matched, if not surpassed the NES though.

Back