• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen VII speculation, new features and discussion thread

Where do you want the Next Generation of pokemon to be based in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I was just fooling around a bit and I calculated that if the 6th generation had the exact same lifespan as the 5th generation. The 7th gen games would be released 563 days from today. Specifically 22nd May 2016.

Of course that's a Sunday so it wouldn't be that exact date. (Although it's unrealistic to think they'd have the exact same lifespan.....)

On the other hand, the two gens with the longest lifespans (3rd and 4th) also had remakes. So this current gen may be around 1400 days long as well because of the 3rd gen remakes.

I figure we'll at least have an announcement some time in 2016.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    2016 is honestly not that far; it'd be here before we even know it. I wonder, though, will generation seven be on 3DS (similarly to how fifth generation was to DS and whatnot), or will it be on a new handheld entirely? I'm sort of expecting them to be siding with former option, since 3DS is still fairly new and believe that they aren't very likely to be introducing another handheld console for at least three or so years.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Is it bad that Gen VII reminds me of Final Fantasy VII? I'm not really sure what they'll cover next. They already had stories based on land and sea, time and space, truth amd ideals, and life and death. It'll either be really familiar or really out there. I'd personally prefer the latter. I just know one thing: I'll probably end up naming my starter Cloud as commemoration.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd expect Gen VI to end in 2016 with either a Red/Blue remake (remake) or sequels to X & Y. These followed by the first set of games in 2017 for Generation VII. That would mean Generation VI lasting for 3 years, as did Generation V.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    At this moment, I believe it'd be best had they went with either a sequel to or third-installment for X and Y (both are good options, but if they go with former, I'd like it if they were to keep its story more far from original, if possible, and am sure so would many others); having us visit Kanto again likely won't be a good idea, especially since we've did get to visit the place very recently in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Definitely wouldn't mind if it were re-introduced couple of years later, however!

Years
  • I get what you mean, but even so, I believe having antagonist succeed for once would give some new air to breathe; things will be kind of different from our usual choose-starter, train, defeat-gyms, and take-down-evil-team formula, in a way. If you can't defeat antagonist yourself, they'll likely give us some chance of taking them down in an indirect way after they're done with their plans, which would still give us a feel-good moment towards the end. Hope I'm making sense here, haha

Yup yup,I can see what you mean @Peitharchia! But I think Game freak won't change it that way,I guess.Otherwise pokemon won't have the original taste of the past generations and this will attract less people (maybe) and probably lead to a less buyers of the game.Since it won't have the poketradition(or pokedition) of the past generations,which kind of makes the game more attractive.We already have the pokemon explorers and rangers etc. which is some kind of <<escaping>> the usual poketraveling around the region but let's admit it nowz,that poketradition is fun to find and explore a new region with brand new pokemon and brand new surprises(Take as an example the mega evolutions) and it is kinda fun to be honest.Maybe The Game Freak will have another surprise to make the difference and the uniqueness but I don't think they will change it to the evil-plot like games because this will lead people,well most of them of course,in dissapointment because we all knew pokemon as something good and we were fighting for our dream and to prove we can make it because we've been making an effort to do so with our beloved partners(A.K.A. to become the champion) and suddenly turning into stealing all of the pokemon to take over the word for evil purposes,won't be good.
    To be honest(In my own option) I kinda like the old traditional way of you trying to be the champion and do good for the world and prevail the bad,it teaches alot of things in the meantime of the game.

But let's not rush it up!Let's be bright and see what other surprises the Game freak is making for us!I am sure it will be fun either ways!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I have a feeling that Z may be release sometime mid next year with about the same 8 month difference that the first pair of remakes and Emerald had in Japan. With Gen VII coming out some time last 2016.

Considering it's 2016 the 20th anniversary of RG I was thinking maybe we'll get another trip in Kanto, but a future version, perhaps sharing the time line with BW (that way we'll know how long BW takes place after Gen II and Gen IV) or maybe even B2W2XY(Z? huh B is pronounced just like V...I wonder if that was done on purpose (with V(B)WXYZ in mind)...). Blue could return from his trip in Kalos at the eighth gym and use either the Mega Kanto starter weak to ours (with Champion Red having the one strong against ours but weak to Blue's) or a different Mega. The biggest difference will be the discovery of all new Pokémon in the Kanto region and the arrival of strange new legendaries (two of which could be the mascots). Also new areas of the Kanto region. And a new Eeveelution (Dragon type). Also a return to the Johto region post game. The champion could be Red (who could've taken his spot back from Lance) or Gold/Ethan or perhaps even Silver, or maybe even Crystal/Lyra (I still think of her as Crystal...) to bump up the number of female champions to four (or maybe Leaf will appear as Champion to add her into the canon). Actually Lyra/Crystal would be nice as we already have Red be the final boss of GSCHgSs, so giving a female player some spotlight would be nice for those who play the female characters (as it could otherwise make us think that the player being Male is canon in all the games...)
    The theme of the generation would be change versus stability, and a blending of old and new. The evil team could be trying to change the Kanto and Johto regions (who knows perhaps the game could take place in both regions at once with some areas of each closed off), trying to "Mega Evolve" the societies, having gotten the idea from Mega Evolution (sort of like how progressives at the time got the idea of social evolution from Darwin's theory of the Evolution of species). They could be a fusion of Ghetsis' Team Plasma and Team Flare, with some Omega Ruby Team Magma added in. Perhaps they think humans have evolved far enough that they no longer need pokemon, and that the creatures are holding humanity back from their true potential.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I'd like to see certain features take the next step forward. Pokeball breeding should be expanded, perhaps add a way to create custom ball designs/colors and make them heritable. In that same vein, I'd like more character customization. As someone said, selectable age in addition to race/hair/whatever. Perhaps a story formula that would suit a character of any age rather than "kid gets first Pokemon, beats gyms/evil team/E4." I would also like to see the game expand on the idea of interacting with Pokemon introduced with PokemonAmie. It'd be tough to do much considering there're so many species but I enjoy the immersion of it. I am certainly also curious to see on what place the next region will be based. All regions so far have been drawn from places in the northern hemisphere. It'd be cool to see an Australian, African, or South American type of region.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would like it if we were to visit a future version of Kanto, personally. I've had access to this region plenty of times before--once in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, once more in Gold, Silver, and Crystal, another in FireRed and LeafGreen, and now (most recently), HeartGold and SoulSilver--so if we're going there again this time around, I believe many of us would find it to be sort of stale. Of course, things would look sort of different with X and Y style of graphics, but nearly everything else would remain same, unfortunately. If they allow us to view a future Kanto, though, none of this would be an issue; of course some things would remain the way they are--Viridian Forest, for example--many other aspects would likely differ.

I wonder what kind of storyline it could possibly be housing, though? Of course, Team Rocket probably won't be there any longer due to them being taken down already, but to keep us on our toes and whatnot, something interesting must be going on. Instead of their usual evil-team method, I feel it'd be pretty cool if they were able to incorporate something new all-together, such as the Kanto League passing some laws that Pokémon trainers are heavily against, causing trainers to get into a feud with them.

Years
  • I'd like to see certain features take the next step forward. Pokeball breeding should be expanded, perhaps add a way to create custom ball designs/colors and make them heritable. In that same vein, I'd like more character customization. As someone said, selectable age in addition to race/hair/whatever. Perhaps a story formula that would suit a character of any age rather than "kid gets first Pokemon, beats gyms/evil team/E4." I would also like to see the game expand on the idea of interacting with Pokemon introduced with PokemonAmie. It'd be tough to do much considering there're so many species but I enjoy the immersion of it. I am certainly also curious to see on what place the next region will be based. All regions so far have been drawn from places in the northern hemisphere. It'd be cool to see an Australian, African, or South American type of region.
    Let's see Gen I had northern central east Japan, while Gen II had southern central east Japan, Gen III had southern Japan while Gen IV had northern Japan. Gen V had (north)eastern US (at least a part of it), Gen VI had northwestern France. I think that Gen VII should be in South Eastern Australia, and Gen VIII in southwestern Africa or South America. That is if we don't see something like I suggested earlier.
    I would like it if we were to visit a future version of Kanto, personally. I've had access to this region plenty of times before--once in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, once more in Gold, Silver, and Crystal, another in FireRed and LeafGreen, and now (most recently), HeartGold and SoulSilver--so if we're going there again this time around, I believe many of us would find it to be sort of stale. Of course, things would look sort of different with X and Y style of graphics, but nearly everything else would remain same, unfortunately. If they allow us to view a future Kanto, though, none of this would be an issue; of course some things would remain the way they are--Viridian Forest, for example--many other aspects would likely differ.

I wonder what kind of storyline it could possibly be housing, though? Of course, Team Rocket probably won't be there any longer due to them being taken down already, but to keep us on our toes and whatnot, something interesting must be going on. Instead of their usual evil-team method, I feel it'd be pretty cool if they were able to incorporate something new all-together, such as the Kanto League passing some laws that Pokémon trainers are heavily against, causing trainers to get into a feud with them.
    Perhaps if there are some new mons they're upsetting the balance of the ecosystem. In real life when new animals come into a region they previously weren't native to they wipe out some of the native animals or displace them at least. In a way it'll be like Gen III's ecosystem story line. If Z also does the ecosystem falling apart it'll be a good theme to continue (sort of like the Mega Evolution saga in this Gen).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Though, if they're continuing off of Z, wouldn't that make things seem a little too stale? Plan I've suggested is sort of similar Marvel comic's Civil War story; government passes a new law requiring people with superhuman strength and ability to reveal themselves and register (otherwise, they would be declared criminals). In result, we have two sides of heroes--one supporting the act, and other negating--which causing them to go against each other in a feud of sorts to make a statement. We've never seen anything like this in Pokémon games before (and if executed right, I don't believe it would wind up to be too mature), and them following it up would likely be pretty intriguing, I feel.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind a region based off Queensland. It's a fairly tropical place, with the Great Barrier Reef off the coast and a crapton of amazing scenery (especially compared to the wasteland that is WA, NT and northern SA).

Blue-ringed Octillery and Box Tentacruel when?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wouldn't mind a region based off Queensland. It's a fairly tropical place, with the Great Barrier Reef off the coast and a crapton of amazing scenery (especially compared to the wasteland that is WA, NT and northern SA).

Blue-ringed Octillery and Box Tentacruel when?

Those would make some pretty cool forms for these two Pokémon!

Speaking of forms, I kind of wish they would add more of those in future games, rather than implementing completely new Pokémon as a whole. From what I've seen, special forms raise value of Pokémon in general, by giving us the motivation to be constantly collecting and looking around for them.

Of course, their popularity do dwindle as time moves forward, but for the generation that they're part of, they still remain somewhat known for a decently long time.

Years
  • Though, if they're continuing off of Z, wouldn't that make things seem a little too stale? Plan I've suggested is sort of similar Marvel comic's Civil War story; government passes a new law requiring people with superhuman strength and ability to reveal themselves and register (otherwise, they would be declared criminals). In result, we have two sides of heroes--one supporting the act, and other negating--which causing them to go against each other in a feud of sorts to make a statement. We've never seen anything like this in Pokémon games before (and if executed right, I don't believe it would wind up to be too mature), and them following it up would likely be pretty intriguing, I feel.
    Maybe, but GSC did pick up from where Blue left off (Yellow is a special version based on the anime so I don't count it) in terms of team Rocket. Actually they could make the Gen VII pair a sequel to the last Kalos game(s)

Ha, I totally thought of the Civil War storyline when reading that comment, seems that was what you had in mind.

Not sure about it though...well maybe they could have half of the league be like N, and the other half be like the player characters of Gen V. Not exactly in liberating Pokémon, but the way it's built up. N certainly didn't come off as arrogant or evil (it had noble intentions) for his desires to free Pokémon, and neither did the main character. What I'm mostly unsure of is what they could ban...unless they want to bring back the banning of Pokémon (may N returns?).

Years
  • I'm hoping you fail as the protagonist and the world gets destroyed no matter what you do in ORAS. I would like to see a post-apocalyptic world where we play as the grandfather of the main protagonist. We have to search for legendaries, capture or kill them, then "revive" part of the world with that legendary until you have "revived" the whole world. However, these legendaries are hidden in a secret box that you have to find in the second half of the game. The second half of the game is his grandson challenging gyms, and defeating the new evil team who is searching for the box of legendaries to control the world (don't forget, his grandfather is a legend). This new world is futuristic with giant skyscrapers, new clothes, gyms, pokemon centers, roads, cars, etc.

This sounds very interesting.

I too, want Pokemon to step outside the box with their next generation (although maintain the authenticity of a Pokemon main series game). I'd absolutely love a plot line like Pokemon Colosseum but on the 3DS. That game really stood out to be growing up because it was so radically different from playing the cookie-cutter protagonist in a new region. Wes was such a complex character, and it was also new to have a partner following you at the time! The premise, villains, cities (especially The Under) and everything about Colosseum, I loved.

I'd really like GameFreak to try and step out of their boundaries for this next generation and take a leap of faith in a similar direction to Colosseum, or like something you're suggesting.

It also has aspects of other things people have suggested in this thread... Colosseum was definitely non-linear (or at least more so relative to the main series games), you played as an ex-bad guy (which is kind of like being on the villanous team), and it was held in an extremely different and exotic region (barren landscape, memorable towns and cities, no wild Pokemon, and shadow Pokemon!!).

Years
  • I wonder if they'll fit in DP remakes into Gen VII. My speculative time line is this:

2015: Next Kalos Game
    2016 or Early 2017: Gen VII pair
    2018: Gen VII third version or sequels
    2019/2020: DP remakes (The remakes seem to be coming 5 years apart (in terms of Japan releases at least) with FrLg released in 2004, HgSs in 2009, and now OrAs in 2014, so if that pattern continues it'll mean DP remakes in 2019 (going further BW on 2024, XY on 2029 and so on). With 2020 due to the other pattern FrLg were released 8 years after the , HgSs were released 10 years after, and OrAs are being released 12 years after their original counterparts (in Japan). So 14 years post DP means 2020). I have a feeling they're going to go with a Gen IV style release for DP remakes (like how OrAs are having a Gen III style release to fit in with how it's generation worked). If they go with a yearly formula then perhaps we'll get:

2016: Gen VII
    2017: Next Gen VII region game
    2018: Gen VIII
    2019: next Gen VIII game
    2020: DP remakes
    A 2020 release of DP remakes in Gen VIII would fit the 6 + 2X (X= Generation number) after release and the 2*the Generation number (except for Gen I remakes).

Seems like a lot though to have that amount of games so close to one another (with a generation being 2 years in such a scenario). I hope they spread out Gen VII like they did with Gen IV...well maybe not too much like they did with Gen IV.

In an interview sugimori mentioned wanting to make Gen VII simple, returning to the roots of Pokémon. So we may see another reboot, and a more Kanto like story with Kanto like Pokémon. Actually my mention of Gen VII possible being a return to the actual Kanto came from this, I rather they return to Kanto itself rather than make another expy of the region.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I wonder if they'll fit in DP remakes into Gen VII. My speculative time line is this:

2016 or Early 2017: Gen VII pair
    2018: Gen VII third version or sequels
    2019/2020: DP remakes (The remakes seem to be coming 5 years apart (in terms of Japan releases at least) with FrLg released in 2004, HgSs in 2009, and now OrAs in 2014, so if that pattern continues it'll mean DP remakes in 2019 (going further BW on 2024, XY on 2029 and so on). With 2020 due to the other pattern FrLg were released 8 years after the , HgSs were released 10 years after, and OrAs are being released 12 years after their original counterparts (in Japan). So 14 years post DP means 2020). I have a feeling they're going to go with a Gen IV style release for DP remakes (like how OrAs are having a Gen III style release to fit in with how it's generation worked). If they go with a yearly formula then perhaps we'll get:

2016: Gen VII
    2017: Next Gen VII region game
    2018: Gen VIII
    2019: next Gen VIII game
    2020: DP remakes
    A 2020 release of DP remakes in Gen VIII would fit the 6 + 2X (X= Generation number) after release and the 2*the Generation number (except for Gen I remakes).

Seems like a lot though to have that amount of games so close to one another (with a generation being 2 years in such a scenario). I hope they spread out Gen VII like they did with Gen IV...well maybe not too much like they did with Gen IV.

In an interview sugimori mentioned wanting to make Gen VII simple, returning to the roots of Pokémon. So we may see another reboot, and a more Kanto like story with Kanto like Pokémon. Actually my mention of Gen VII possible being a return to the actual Kanto came from this, I rather they return to Kanto itself rather than make another expy of the region.

I'd like to see them going back to their original roots, since the Regions have steered away from the Japan with Unova and Kalos, the games have felt a little less original. Oh, and a DPPT remake would be nice too, although I do feel that they would be the absolute final set of remakes.

Years
  • Yeah, DP may be the last remakes. BW seem like they'll be difficult as they had sequels instead of a third version which thus far has been made into a side story/post-game thing, so they'll have to make two pairs of remakes for that Generation. I rather they do another BW sequel except called Pokemon Grey (which will fuse all three dragons into a grey dragon).

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • This sounds very interesting.

I too, want Pokemon to step outside the box with their next generation (although maintain the authenticity of a Pokemon main series game). I'd absolutely love a plot line like Pokemon Colosseum but on the 3DS. That game really stood out to be growing up because it was so radically different from playing the cookie-cutter protagonist in a new region. Wes was such a complex character, and it was also new to have a partner following you at the time! The premise, villains, cities (especially The Under) and everything about Colosseum, I loved.

I'd really like GameFreak to try and step out of their boundaries for this next generation and take a leap of faith in a similar direction to Colosseum, or like something you're suggesting.

It also has aspects of other things people have suggested in this thread... Colosseum was definitely non-linear (or at least more so relative to the main series games), you played as an ex-bad guy (which is kind of like being on the villanous team), and it was held in an extremely different and exotic region (barren landscape, memorable towns and cities, no wild Pokemon, and shadow Pokemon!!).

I never played Colosseum, but that sounds really cool. I don't really like the idea of shadow pokemon, but I could see a new legendary pokemon being the antagonist.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back