• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ratings: Part 3

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
@クリスタル I agree with you Crystal... if you look at show's that are just commercials such as Beyblade, Yugioh, Card fight vanguard. Shows that aren't that good espesially compared to pokemon in my opinion (Yu gi oh has gone down hill) They live off the sales of their respective game/toys/cards. Publishers basically pay them to produce the commercials with a story... So like cell from dbz they won't go away until the every single part of it is obliterated :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
XY133's ratings have just come in. It dropped down to 9th place, and its ratings have dropped to 3.0.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...tion-tv-ranking-august-29-september-4/.106258

On a side note, from what's been revealed so far, Pokémon the Movie: Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel has officially performed even worse than the Hoopa Movie, coming out to 1,947,990,700 yen as of its final week in theaters. That means that Pokémon Heroes is now the third-worst performing film ever.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 28, 2017
So Ash is going to school.
If this isn't the product of bad ratings then I don't know what it could be. I can almost taste their desperation at this point.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
So Ash is going to school.
If this isn't the product of bad ratings then I don't know what it could be. I can almost taste their desperation at this point.

It isn't desperation at all. It is just matching the games because that is basically what the trials are. I don't get why that is so hard to understand. People really need to just wait before bashing it. I mean seriously. Trials are basically school and that is EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE DOING IN THE GAMES.

And I am glad more people understand that all those shows are still being made but never make it into the Top 10.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
It isn't desperation at all. It is just matching the games because that is basically what the trials are. I don't get why that is so hard to understand. People really need to just wait before bashing it. I mean seriously. Trials are basically school and that is EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE DOING IN THE GAMES.

And I am glad more people understand that all those shows are still being made but never make it into the Top 10.

Most of those shows at least got decent ratings even if they never made it into the top 10. Pokémon's ratings are far from decent at all. They're vulture food.

Also, the games never said we'd go back to school, or even that we're going to school. Not even the CoroCoro coverage that revealed the anime said that the games had us going to school. That's the problem. The CoroCoro scan for the anime made clear that Ash was going to school. Also, schools generally last a full year, meaning the Sun and Moon saga, ignoring the ratings disaster for just one minute, is most likely going to last that long, which is just sad.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 28, 2017

Please, considering how they've been pushing the same old formula down our throats for 20 years this is a desperate move. They're just using, I don't know, the most popular theme in the anime world?
I guess childhood crush wasn't enough, so why not try the next most popular thing?
They're obviously trying to appeal to kids and I guess it can work depending on how they pull it off. This is definitely an attempt to raise ratings, the anime has never gone through such a change in its 20 year history.

And eh, I can't see how this is exactly what we are doing in the games? Unless they're using the term 'school' loosely here.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Please, considering how they've been pushing the same old formula down our throats for 20 years this is a desperate move. They're just using, I don't know, the most popular theme in the anime world?
I guess childhood crush wasn't enough, so why not try the next most popular thing?
They're obviously trying to appeal to kids and I guess it can work depending on how they pull it off. This is definitely an attempt to raise ratings, the anime has never gone through such a change in its 20 year history.

And eh, I can't see how this is exactly what we are doing in the games? Unless they're using the term 'school' loosely here.

Yeah, the games don't even indicate that the player's going to school. Actually, the leaks indicated the player's actually going to form their own Pokémon League (think how you build up your own PMC in Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V). If anything, a better reflection on Sun and Moon is that Ash is chosen to help build a league for Alola, and has to gain recruits by fighting various Trials.

Years
XY133's ratings have just come in. It dropped down to 9th place, and its ratings have dropped to 3.0.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...tion-tv-ranking-august-29-september-4/.106258

On a side note, from what's been revealed so far, Pokémon the Movie: Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel has officially performed even worse than the Hoopa Movie, coming out to 1,947,990,700 yen as of its final week in theaters. That means that Pokémon Heroes is now the third-worst performing film ever.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/

Wow M19 officially overtook M18 as the worst Pokemon movie of all time? XY has proven to be the flop I expected the ratings were telling us, but I feel SM's new formula might prove even worse.

Also, does this mean XY is the only saga where each of its resident movies performed worse than the last one?

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Wow M19 officially overtook M18 as the worst Pokemon movie of all time? XY has proven to be the flop I expected the ratings were telling us, but I feel SM's new formula might prove even worse.

Also, does this mean XY is the only saga where each of its resident movies performed worse than the last one?

Probably. It's certainly the only saga thus far where all of the resident movies performed much worse than the prior saga (the other sagas at least had the first movie of the saga performing better than the previous saga's last film).

And Sun and Moon's probably going to get ratings that are so horrible, it would essentially be the Pokémon Anime's equivalent of the Super Mario World TV series for DiC's Mario cartoons.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Well, it's taken a painfully long time today, but the ratings for XY134 have just come out. It's stayed at the same place as XY133 (ie, ninth place), but it went up nearly a full point (in other words, it's now a 3.9).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-16/japan-animation-tv-ranking-september-5-11/.106561

An improvement, probably the first we've gotten ratings nearly in the fours since... what, last year, two years ago? But I'm still not optimistic.

Next week, I'll cover the ratings for the two-part climax for the Team Flare arc, IF they are high enough to be in the top 10 anyways. Week after next up to the 14th, I'll be on hiatus since there won't be any new episodes of Pokémon during that time due to a two-week hiatus on the show. Besides, I'm going to be busy Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, maybe as early as Thursday, going to Anime Weekend Atlanta anyways.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
They really should've ended Ash's story with Kalos. The ratings have been down all across the board, which should be an obvious sign that the anime has run its course. People are tired of Ash and Pikachu and the constant reboots and lack of story and character progression. Even kids have no use for a protagonist who never wins or achieves anything and never grows and develops as a character.

Rick Gastly

Memes Straight Outta 2007
Years
People are taking ratings too seriously.

Sure, they might have mattered back in the day, but in these days, almost NO shows get high ratings.

The fact that Pokemon makes the top 10 despite having ratings in the 3s shows that.

Anime buzz is still very high outside of Japan. In America, it consistently scored viewership in the millions (until it was moved to 7:00 AM, aka, the death slot), and online interest for the show has proven VERY high. Episode discussion threads on Serebii get hundreds of replies, search interest on websites like Tumblr and Reddit is very high, PREVIEWS for episodes on Youtube get tons of views, most fans regard this as the best since Diamond and Pearl, and it even trended in the top 10 on Twitter during the Ash vs Alain battle.

So it ain't going nowhere.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
This was a very informative read:

http://themattress.tumblr.com/post/150873301559

Obviously every show loses viewers as the season goes on. What's really surprising about XY/XY&Z is that it never recovered after the Korrina arc, up until the Team Flare arc and even then, it was nothing to write home about. Most shows and past seasons of Pokemon have always fluctuated in viewer ratings, but to see a steady decline does provide some explanation as to why the anime is going through a radical change.

I guess the funniest thing is that the BW anime ended up having better ratings despite XY being proclaimed as better. Maybe people figured it would be the same formula in a different region...

Anyway, I'm looking forward towards the ratings of Sun&Moon to see whether the revamp pays off.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Well it makes sense for ratings to decline as things go on if there's a point in the season/series that viewers tuned out because they became disappointed. Most people who were watching won't go back to watch again once they stop being interested.

Years
This was a very informative read:

http://themattress.tumblr.com/post/150873301559

Obviously every show loses viewers as the season goes on. What's really surprising about XY/XY&Z is that it never recovered after the Korrina arc, up until the Team Flare arc and even then, it was nothing to write home about. Most shows and past seasons of Pokemon have always fluctuated in viewer ratings, but to see a steady decline does provide some explanation as to why the anime is going through a radical change.

I guess the funniest thing is that the BW anime ended up having better ratings despite XY being proclaimed as better. Maybe people figured it would be the same formula in a different region...

Anyway, I'm looking forward towards the ratings of Sun&Moon to see whether the revamp pays off.

Wow I never knew the Korrina arc was where ratings got grim, and that was still early in the series. As much as I hate the huge changes being done with Sun & Moon, I hope it can pay off in the ratings war since the target demographic have been jumping ship and maybe making Ash's journey more like what a real kid would go through will win the mainly kid-based audience back.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Wow I never knew the Korrina arc was where ratings got grim, and that was still early in the series. As much as I hate the huge changes being done with Sun & Moon, I hope it can pay off in the ratings war since the target demographic have been jumping ship and maybe making Ash's journey more like what a real kid would go through will win the mainly kid-based audience back.

That said, I'm not too sure whether or not it included international viewers. I'm not entirely sure if American, English, French etc etc viewers can watch TV Tokyo live, a lot of people are usually watching someones live stream on YouTube or other sources to catch up.

If it was just Japanese viewers, then given the craze for Yokai-Watch!, it makes sense to get on board the latest hit. Sure, Western viewers might not watch it but then again, it's not as if Western viewers contribute to the ratings easily.

If it included international...that is extremely bad news.

Years
If it was just Japanese viewers, then given the craze for Yokai-Watch!, it makes sense to get on board the latest hit. Sure, Western viewers might not watch it but then again, it's not as if Western viewers contribute to the ratings easily.

If it included international...that is extremely bad news.

I was likely thinking of Japanese viewers. It didn't help that the Korrina arc aired around the time that Yo-Kai Watch was proving itself as a huge arch-rival to Pokemon. Japanese kids say their reason behind loving Yo-Kai is because adults don't like it.

Years
The fact that Pokemon makes the top 10 despite having ratings in the 3s shows that.

But there have been many times when it hasn't made Top 10 in recent years though, which is the worrisome part. The Pokemon anime's ratings have been a rollercoaster for a while now, meanwhile anime like One Piece (which has been around almost as long as Pokemon) has been in the Top 10 weekly far more consistently. Even that other show about the monkey seems to hold on to its Top 10 spot more frequently than Pokemon, so that says something. :x

Back