• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ratings: Part 3

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    So why did they even bother airing the league during this period of time instead of, I don't know, AFTER Obon travel season? It seems pretty stupid to air the league during a Japanese event as big as that.
    Probably because the Sun and Moon games are coming and they wanted to make room for the Team Flare Arc.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Probably because the Sun and Moon games are coming and they wanted to make room for the Team Flare Arc.

They could have, oh, I don't know, aired the Team Flare Arc BEFORE the Pokémon League. It's not like they needed to have it afterward.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    They could have, oh, I don't know, aired the Team Flare Arc BEFORE the Pokémon League. It's not like they needed to have it afterward.
    They could but it seems plotwise they had to make it after the League. You don't know what will happen in the Arc.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    They could but it seems plotwise they had to make it after the League. You don't know what will happen in the Arc.

Even still, it's pretty stupid to air what's arguably the most important part of the series, even more anticipated than a Team Flare fight, during a fairly major Japanese holiday period that will result in most people missing the anticipated event.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • Even still, it's pretty stupid to air what's arguably the most important part of the series, even more anticipated than a Team Flare fight, during a fairly major Japanese holiday period that will result in most people missing the anticipated event.

I guess, when fewer people take notice of such an important episode (and one major confirmation of failure), fewer people will go on riot, because Japanese are busying in other celebration? So it is for safeguarding purpose to at least lower the pain of local Japanese natives when fewer people paying attention to such big failure on TV.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Years
  • Okay, the ratings for XY131 just came in and... well, just as I predicted, the episode didn't even make the Top 10. That's still not good, though, as it means it got nothing but negative reviews from the few viewers who got it, and even if more people watched it, enough to bump it significantly up the Top 10, it STILL would get negative reviews.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-25/japan-animation-tv-ranking-august-15-21/.105772

Considering how many people got pissed off by Alain's victory, it was no surprise. I feel the ratings will continue to be bad until the XY saga ends because of how many people now seem to be ditching this saga due to the league results.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    I've been lurking this thread for sometime now.
    I think it's funny how XY's fans are so sure XY has been a huge success and then we see those numbers and... nope, it's a flop. And when you show them those numbers they just ignore you or try to justify it somehow.
    I hope the production team have a good plan to turn things around. The canon, 'childhood friends' crush thing with Serena was obviously their attempt to make XY interesting, but I think that only caught western fans attention.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • XY133's ratings just came in. On the one hand, it ranked eighth place. On the other, the ratings itself indicated it came out at 3.4.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-01/japan-animation-tv-ranking-august-22-28/.106020

Shouldn't this rating be XY132 instead? The previous one in this thread was for XY131.

In any case, view rates recovered a bit as expected, because this episode is the beginning of TF arc. Every time when there is a mini-arc begins, it always goes up a bit as audience expected something major will happen, so people are more willing to tune in and watch it lively.

Although I don't expect view rate will increase significantly for XY133, but probably ranking will, because judging from many reviews, people who had watched XY132 will more likely to watch XY133 as well.

BTW, it may be a bit too early to speculate for now, but I don't expect the first episode of SM saga will exceed 4%. Because although the finale of XY saga is good, many audience also decided to drop out forever because XY league is yet another confirmation for series recycling. I don't think a lot of people will still remain to tune in and watch the new saga lively. Though it is possible for those viewers to return after they heard good reviews on SM, but they won't contribute anything to the overall view rate.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    People always say they'll drop out after Ash loses a league but come back eventually lol
    I think ratings will depend on what writers are planning for Alola. It might reset some stuff but if what we know about the game is any indication, the anime might undergo some changes that could attract fans.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Yeah, my mistake, it was XY132, not XY133 (keep forgetting that just because the most recent episode aired doesn't mean that the recently unveiled ratings are for the most recent episode).

@gantai: Maybe so, but I doubt many people would appreciate the fact that Ash is pretty much going to be floundering through Alola due to there being no leagues (which is an essential to achieving his goal, at least since DP revealed the existence of the Champion's League), especially after what happened with the Kalos League.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    @weedle: Yeah, but the writers know the anime is flopping hard. They must have a plan to make it more appealing to kids again or it might get cancelled. Maybe they'll try copying Yokai Watch a little.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Yo Guys I'm new to this Forum and really I just joined to throw my hat into the ring. XD

Also English is not my native language so please forgive any grammatical errors.

I've been following this thread for a while now and the common consensus seams to be that Pokemon XY consistently scoring under 3 in the Anime News network top 10 "Animation" ranking makes the show a flop...

No it does not, the mere fact that it is on that list shows just how popular it is.

You have to take into consideration the fact that the "Animation" industry in japan exploded this past 3 years. japan has exploded with more shows than the past seasons. Just right now the current Anime season we have over 40 shows on air, not counting long running family friendly animation(that are rather simple anime and are a dime a dozen, some don't even shows don't even show up in Anime list sites).

My point is Over lets just say 70 "Animated" Shows this season. Pokemon consistently breaks the top 10.

For reference of just how popular pokemon still is in japan. Currently airing show's like Nanatsu no Taizai and mob psycho 100. Or even other kids shows such as Battle Spirits, Beyblade Burst, Card fight Vanguard g, Duel Masters VSRF. Doesn't even come close to pokemon's ranking.

The only kid(Shounen) shows that can compete with Pokemon XY anime in terms of popularity and Rankings is Precure(Because of its Otaku fanbase) and Yokai Watch.

Also the Japanese fanbase of pokemon xy is very healthy so don't expect the anime to die any time soon... well unless if nintendo flops and stops making Pokemon games... but really that's as unlikely as me not going back to japan for my next vacation.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    If ratings aren't something to be concerned about then why did writers change so many elements of the show from BW to XY, almost as if they were a bit desperate?
    Considering past seasons, yeah, it's a flop.
    Crayon Shin-chan has been running since '92 but it still gets to top 3 everytime. Hell, Sazae-san has been running since '69, so we can't even blame time here.
    XY barely manages top 10, and that's just every other week.
    I think you can't really compare with anime of the season because they don't have the same recognition as something that's been running for 20 years unless there's a huge hype, not to mention they're usually 12 episodes long.
    I guess the ratings could be worse, but if they don't watch out it'll only go downhill.

I also read in Dogasu's backpack that the ratings for the Hoopa movie were so bad they didn't even try advertising the last movie much, probably to save budget. Also, Dogasu noted that CoroCoro's been showing an unusual desinterest in pokemon.
    He literally said on Twitter:
    CoroCoro clearly doesn't give any more ****s about Pokemon at this point.
    And:
    Not that this is a surprise or anything but the marketing for the Magearna movie has been waaaaay more low-key than that of the Hoopa movie.
    I honestly don't think those are good signs.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I definitely agree that considering the past seasons, this anime is a flop ratings wise. But the pokemon anime is still very popular so you really don't need to think about the ratings that much (Also if you look at all of those other Anime that are basically commercials for other things - such as Bayblade, dual masters, Yu gi oh [Anime that bomb in ratings, but remain in the air waves just because of their merch.] Pokemon like yokai watch, Is still profitable because both the anime and the merch(games, toys, etc.)

BW writers where replaced as "Main" writers of the series because they mishandled the Anime... They still write Pokemon XY episodes i'm not sure on the specifics I could look it up but to my knowledge The episode where Satoshi fought Mega Sirknight and the Satoshi vs Alain fights where writen by the BW writers...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Actually, according to IrregularMaverickZ, Bandai List gave Pokémon pretty bad marks fairly recently.

Also, Pokémon's spent a lot more time off the Top 10 list than on the Top 10 list, and even in the times it was on the Top 10 list, it's just barely on there. It's even rarer to see it firmly on there.

Regarding Shonen shows, you forgot to mention Dragon Ball Super, which probably was far more consistent in terms of ratings output than Pokémon and is actually giving it competition right now.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • ^ Add in One Piece, Naruto and Detective Conan as well, all are long-running Shounen Anime being the regular visitors of Anime News Network Top 10 Animation List much more frequent than Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    ^ Add in One Piece, Naruto and Detective Conan as well, all are long-running Shounen Anime being the regular visitors of Anime News Network Top 10 Animation List much more frequent than Pokemon.

Naruto does far worse than Pokemon, Naruto virtually never makes the top 10 and its ratings hover around the early 2.0's. Same for other shows like Yu-gi-oh who keep getting new series despite its ratings being so much lower.

A lot of you need to realize these show thrive on merch/game/advertising sales, not just merely ratings. I'm not sure why this needs to be stated over and over.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • Yugioh is not included, and I didn't mentioned it either. Because I had clear understanding that it is one out-of-scope anime. Don't include things that were never on the Top 10 List in the recent 5 years.

As those Shounen animes thrive on merch/game/advertising sales, Pokemon is also no more different. Probably even more heavily thrive on those things, because without the sponsorship from game/merch/toys, can Pokemon really able to continue for so long just because it is an anime of a famous video game?

Back